ADVERTISEMENT

Hayden Rettig

He was something like 21-33 344 yds, 4 td's and 1 int against Maryland,
Still don't understand what's so hard about understanding that people were not booing Laviano, but the fact that Flood was sending him back in. By then in the season people had had enough and no TD passes in literally the last half of the season to that point, all people wanted to see was a change just to know what could have happened, and Laviano is hobbling around on half a leg and he gets taken out for 1 play so Rettig can hand off the ball and then Flood put him back in again. THAT was what they were booing.

In the concert movie No Nukes, Tom Petty was waiting to go on stage at MSG right before Springsteen and the E Street Band, Stephen Stills told him that the crowd would be saying "Bruuuuuuuce" not booing him. Tom said, "That does not make me feel any better.".

Well one thing we've learned is that Hayden Rettig has a lot of relatives who post on this board.

I don't agree that all booing is the equivalent of a temper tantrum. For instance, when the opposing team runs out of the tunnel or when they show the PSU score on the video board I see a lot of people booing who look completely under control. In fact, they're smiling and laughing because it's part of the experience of attending a football game. You cheer, boo, sing, dance, stand up, sit down, etc. at certain events. Sure, there are fans who get fired up and boo a particular player or play. But, the times when someone is so out of control that it arguably could equate to a temper tantrum are limited.

Still don't understand what's so hard about understanding that people were not booing Laviano, but the fact that Flood was sending him back in. By then in the season people had had enough and no TD passes in literally the last half of the season to that point, all people wanted to see was a change just to know what could have happened, and Laviano is hobbling around on half a leg and he gets taken out for 1 play so Rettig can hand off the ball and then Flood put him back in again. THAT was what they were booing.
What @RUChoppin said about hand grenades answers you.

I would add that even if people were booing Flood for putting Laviano in, it's still pretty much the same as booing Laviano.

I would also point out, again, that booing anybody is childish and classless. I confess I have been childish and classless and booed calls made by refs and officials before. But at least I can admit that what I did was childish and classless. I'm not trying to invent ridiculous rationalizations for it like I spent lots of money to have the game called fairly and the officials get paid lots of money to allow me to boo.

It's a free country. So people can choose to boo who they want when they want. But all the freedom in the world doesn't make booing a classy and mature thing to do. It's still the adult equivalent of a two-year old having a temper tantrum.

Reactions: RUChoppin
I agree. But since we struggled at points, and struggled particularly at the QB position at points, the traditionally "most popular guy on the team" backup QB was given that much more attention/controversy because of how Flood/Co hyped him prior to the season.

People took Flood at his word when he said how good Rettig was, and how equal in skill he was to Laviano. They remembered starting the first game with our new starting QB doing well (not our "backup QB stepping up to fill in", but "the guy who won the QB competition having success"). When the going got rough, it was perfectly natural for the fanbase to want to see how the other, "equal" QB would do if given a shot... based on how their expectations were set (mis-set?) at the start of the season.

Some very simple statements would have gone a long way:

"Chris Laviano is our starting quarterback for this season, having won the position in camp. Unfortunately, due to a violation of team rules, Chris and Leonte will be suspended for the first half of the opener. I am 100% confident in Hayden as our backup, and am sure he will do well for us in the first half against Norfolk State, but Chris is our starting QB. He will start the second half this week, and will be our starter moving forward. Any questions?"

Instead, we got the jumbled mess of messaging and expectations that poured forth in the weeks leading up to the opener, and a recipe for a serious QB controversy once the starter showed any signs of faltering.

Having spent time with Meyer and Bielema, I really doubt Ash will be that ham handed in his messaging regarding our starting QB for next year.
Again, you make very good points here. It will be interesting to see how Ash does after we lose a few games. Let's not forget that he's a brand new head coach. I think he's going to have a learning curve in the job. I fully expect, and will be patient with, some mistakes both on the field and in the press room.

Sorry Dave butI can't agree with this ever. We just should not do that. The stadium already booed the ex coach during his video where he did a lot of good things off the field and all of that. Booing him for putting Laviano in is basically booing Laviano. Totally classless and gutless IMO. By the way, he had a great game against MD. The INT to start the 2nd half was a bad decision from my angle but none of us know if the WR ran the right pattern. For all we know it was a timing route that the WR messed up on. In any case, he was having a good game so he should not have been booed. Booing the HC is bad enough but they do get paid so I care a lot less about that. Booing a kid who is having a great game shows a lack of intelligence, class and guts. I hope we get better as a fan base as the team grows.

And I am a guy that wanted to see Rettig get a shot as I said above so this is not about me being a Laviano guy.

Just explain this one decision to me: Laviano gets demolished. Rettig comes in for one play. Laviano, coming off the demolition, comes back in to hand off the ball. I will never understand it. Laviano may have been the better QB, but he fumbled a few snaps.

Reactions: RUsSKii
Just explain this one decision to me: Laviano gets demolished. Rettig comes in for one play. Laviano, coming off the demolition, comes back in to hand off the ball. I will never understand it. Laviano may have been the better QB, but he fumbled a few snaps.

Beyond the fact that it was an opportunity to see what Rettig could do, this, in particular disturbed me. How in the hell, did the staff not consider it prudent to take a little time to take a good look at Laviano after that shot? I'm no doctor, but one play certainly seems a bit short. I was at the stadium, I thought the hit was high to be honest; a bit surprised a flag wasn't thrown, but that is really irrelevant. If I remember correctly, I think Laviano was quoted as telling the Coach he was good to go. HUH??? I was not a huge fan of Laviano, but expect all of our players to be kept safe, and I thought not keeping him out for a few plays was a really poor decision by the staff.

Well you had a guy who had played well that day and someone who had stood on the sidelines for three hours. I think 99% of all coaches would have made that move.

Beyond the fact that it was an opportunity to see what Rettig could do, this, in particular disturbed me. How in the hell, did the staff not consider it prudent to take a little time to take a good look at Laviano after that shot? I'm no doctor, but one play certainly seems a bit short. I was at the stadium, I thought the hit was high to be honest; a bit surprised a flag wasn't thrown, but that is really irrelevant. If I remember correctly, I think Laviano was quoted as telling the Coach he was good to go. HUH??? I was not a huge fan of Laviano, but expect all of our players to be kept safe, and I thought not keeping him out for a few plays was a really poor decision by the staff.

Not the staff's decision... all the blame goes to Flood. Like with any HC, he is the leader - he is the point man, the decision maker, the CEO. He made so many poor decisions including trying to get fixed the Barnwell academic fiasco. And with any poorly run company, the CEO is usually the one to fall on the knife. Thankfully we had a new AD that recognized that.

Well you had a guy who had played well that day and someone who had stood on the sidelines for three hours. I think 99% of all coaches would have made that move.
If he came out because he lost a helmet incidentally, sure, but NOT after that hit to come in and hand off. Maybe 99% of coach daddies with wrong priorities.

Reactions: miker183
Not the staff's decision... all the blame goes to Flood. Like with any HC, he is the leader - he is the point man, the decision maker, the CEO. He made so many poor decisions including trying to get fixed the Barnwell academic fiasco. And with any poorly run company, the CEO is usually the one to fall on the knife. Thankfully we had a new AD that recognized that.

I was trying to be nice. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I was trying to be nice. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I hear you Mike. I'm just tired of us being a doormat or punch line in discussions with colleagues and friends from other B1G schools. I want our coaches to have accountablity and I want our teams to be successful. Coach Ash seems to be a step in the right direction.

If he came out because he lost a helmet incidentally, sure, but NOT after that hit to come in and hand off. Maybe 99% of coach daddies with wrong priorities.
Food really acted like he was scared shitless, Rettigg would do something
good, He was obsessed with keeping him out of all games. I,m the guy
who Totally backed up Flood replacing Greggie, but Flood's out of control
management of the team might be the worst I have every seen. and maybe Rice in second place..

Well one thing we've learned is that Hayden Rettig has a lot of relatives who post on this board.

It's not really unusual for any fanbase.
  • The back-up QB is generally a fan favorite for most teams - especially when the team is not playing well.
  • Fans generally prefer the bigger-arm QB's for the Long Ball potential.
  • Fans always get on the starting QB when the team struggles.
I really have no horse in this race in terms of preference. I thought that Chris did some things well and showed a toughness quality to adversity and to taking a beating from the defense. However as a fan, I remain curious to the potential of Rettig and would have liked to see more of his play during last season and think there was ample opportunity for that given the team's lackluster offensive play in a significant enough amount of games.

management of the team might be the worst I have every seen. and maybe Rice in second place..

Agreed, Flood couldn't afford to allow Rettig to play in a game, and risk showing some talent. It would only have served to further undermine Flood, and expose his incompetency as a Coach. Even if that meant destroying the season. Coach Flood didn't have the cache, and neither does Coach Ash.

It's always tricky to hire a Coach without experience. Typically in situations where their judgment is questioned, Coaches tend to point to their proven track record. Flood didn't have one. Neither does Ash.

I like Coach Ash's pedigree, but he doesn't have the cache to play Laviano. Because if Laviano falters, the naysayers will be well armed. And that's not limited to the fans or the press. The real naysayers are the coaches at places like tOSU and Michigan whom we're competing against for talent.

Reactions: red sail
It's not really unusual for any fanbase.
  • The back-up QB is generally a fan favorite for most teams - especially when the team is not playing well.
  • Fans generally prefer the bigger-arm QB's for the Long Ball potential.
  • Fans always get on the starting QB when the team struggles.
I really have no horse in this race in terms of preference. I thought that Chris did some things well and showed a toughness quality to adversity and to taking a beating from the defense. However as a fan, I remain curious to the potential of Rettig and would have liked to see more of his play during last season and think there was ample opportunity for that given the team's lackluster offensive play in a significant enough amount of games.

Unless the backup has a lot of moxie and the starter chews gum in interviews.

Coach Flood is long gone. You can move on, unless you enjoy licking past wounds. Don't get the need to continue to beat the dead horse.
831a076e01b98cae9734f225f1064e02.jpg

Go Rettiggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg. Food should've been more full of shit and braver.

I like Coach Ash's pedigree, but he doesn't have the cache to play Laviano. Because if Laviano falters, the naysayers will be well armed. And that's not limited to the fans or the press. The real naysayers are the coaches at places like tOSU and Michigan whom we're competing against for talent.
Ash will play whoever he thinks will help the team win on any given Saturday. And there's no way he's going to give a crap what anybody else thinks about his choice. If he does, he's totally the wrong person for the job.

Reactions: ru75 and RUChoppin
Coach Flood is long gone. You can move on, unless you enjoy licking past wounds. Don't get the need to continue to beat the dead horse.
831a076e01b98cae9734f225f1064e02.jpg
But what if someone wants to do more than just............beat............the dead horse?

There will be no closure until we see if Ash thinks differently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT