ADVERTISEMENT

Hayden Rettig

I like that Laviano fights back.

Apparently, the fans are allowed to be classless but the QB has to have the patience of a saint. According to the fans. [roll]

You must not know what it means to be a celebrity athlete (qb), role model, in the lime light. You don't bark at the fans. If your play warrants booing, deal with it like a man. If you don't think your play warrants booing then shut up, put down the twatter, play ball and go to class.

I'd expect to see many discussions going forward about QB preferences. That's a reflection of having better QB talent. What I don't expect going forward is discussing why an obviously poorly performing QB gets to start every game with no fear of benching. Whether it is Rettig, Laviano, Recigno, or someone else.

Reactions: miker183
I honestly don't care who wins the starting job. I just want someone to *win* it - and the staff to set realistic expectations with appropriate messaging. I want one of them to truly emerge as a rockstar within Mehringer's offense, and I really don't care who. There should be a "starter" and a "backup"... or a "starter" and a "situational QB"... or whatever.

It shouldn't be "well, both guys are equally capable of being the starter, and I'm picking this one, but I really mean that one, but I can't name him a starter hours before suspending him, so I'm just going to name the backup as the starter, and then double back on that immediately".

"I love it," Rettig said. "He's a great coach. He's a really good guy. He really helps you learn if you have different types of learning abilities. He'll draw it up on the board or show it on film or just tell you. It's good."

Interesting quote.

Wouldn't you have at least wanted to see if it would have made a difference? Or are you so confident in the coach's decision that he couldn't possibly be wrong?

We see coaches make mistakes on QBs all of the time -- in college and in the pros. Flood isn't the only one to commit to one guy with a commitment that was rather undying. I think the point brought up about Flood wanting to be different than Schiano is a good one.

Flood really did no favors to Laviano with the treatment he gave him. A half on the bench might have given him a great learning experience. Instead, even when he struggled he was left on his own.

You must not know what it means to be a celebrity athlete (qb), role model, in the lime light. You don't bark at the fans. If your play warrants booing, deal with it like a man. If you don't think your play warrants booing then shut up, put down the twatter, play ball and go to class.
You haven't the first clue what I know or don't know. But I'll help you out a bit. I do not know what it's like to behave like a frustrated two year old in the stands and boo the players or coaches.

Saying that someone's play warrants booing is like saying that disallowing a two year old from throwing food at his sister warrants a temper tantrum.

Wouldn't you have at least wanted to see if it would have made a difference? Or are you so confident in the coach's decision that he couldn't possibly be wrong?

We see coaches make mistakes on QBs all of the time -- in college and in the pros. Flood isn't the only one to commit to one guy with a commitment that was rather undying. I think the point brought up about Flood wanting to be different than Schiano is a good one.

Flood really did no favors to Laviano with the treatment he gave him. A half on the bench might have given him a great learning experience. Instead, even when he struggled he was left on his own.
I agree 100%. There is no doubt that Laviano could have learned a bit watching from the sidelines when it clearly wasn't his or the total offense's day. I'm just glad that is ancient history. The funny thing is, if Ash and company choose Laviano over Rettig (same as Flood did) this board may explode!

Time for bets, folks. I think Rettig won't sniff the starting lineup this season. It'll be Lav and Gio swapping places in the two deep. Let's put 100 bucks on the line, payable to the B1G Build Fund. Purely honor system. If HR starts a game by season's end, I'll donate to the fund. Who wants to take the bet?
I didn't read the rest of the posts yet but let me get this clear. If Rettig plays with the starting lineup even just once I win $100?

Can't get mad at Laviano. When you're not an Elite player, it's easy to get caught in the trappings that lie outside the game. This is totally 100 percent on the Coach, and his culture.

The Answer is simple, recruit Elite players. All of this other stuff comes with forcing 2nd and yes 3rd tier talent into starting positions.

I know it's early, but Coach Ash is already in heaps of trouble.
Hayden Rettigg was an great player in high school, and Laviano was his high
school's wide receiver sophomore and senior junior years, he didn't throw his
first past until senior year. saying we need elite players to
recruit, is true but Rutgers is not and has not been there. I would say Rettigg was
light years ahead of Laviano, and Flood just blew it. Laviano had very little
experiance throwing but Flood like the idea that he could run for his life,
when in trouble.

Last edited:
first past until senior year. It know, just saying we need elite players to
recruit, is true but Rutgers is not and has not been there. I would say Rettigg was
experiance throwing but Flood like the idea that he could run for his life,
when in trouble.

Very few programs play a Pro-Style attack in High School. Asking a QB to come into college, and play in a system with zero experience is a nightmare. That would be difficult even for a school like Notre Dame, let alone Rutgers.

Heck even a Lineman going from a Delaware Wing-T is going to have a huge transition to a Pro-Style Offense in college.

The move to the current Power Spread offense has the huge benefit of attracting kids that have already succeeded in this offense. Thank You Coach Ash.

I didn't read the rest of the posts yet but let me get this clear. If Rettig plays with the starting lineup even just once I win $100?
No, Rettig has to be announced as the game starter and take the first snap, not just play with the starting lineup. And then you would win...on behalf of the B1G Build Fund.

You haven't the first clue what I know or don't know. But I'll help you out a bit. I do not know what it's like to behave like a frustrated two year old in the stands and boo the players or coaches.

Saying that someone's play warrants booing is like saying that disallowing a two year old from throwing food at his sister warrants a temper tantrum.

That's a ridiculous stance. Enough about the "behaving like a 2 year old." It's a really weak argument. People pay thousands of dollars to see a quality product. These kids get free friggin tuition. You must be new to the tri state area buddy. NY/NJ fans are fickle - get over it. You're insulting the entire fanbase who was absolutely tired of lavianos lackluster play and piss poor attitude. Are you his dad?

Reactions: RUinPAC10land
That's a ridiculous stance. Enough about the "behaving like a 2 year old." It's a really weak argument. People pay thousands of dollars to see a quality product. These kids get free friggin tuition. You must be new to the tri state area buddy. NY/NJ fans are fickle - get over it. You're insulting the entire fanbase who was absolutely tired of lavianos lackluster play and piss poor attitude.
It's neither a stance nor an argument. It's an observation. Watching people boo is very much like watching two year olds throw temper tantrums. That tuition not paid by players, our geographic location, and the number of people in the fanbase that boo does not alter the observation.

And what possible relevance does the amount of money spent have on how childishly classless people that boo are? They could be spending a billion dollars. They're still acting like two-year olds having temper tantrums. Maybe they could buy a little class.

Are you his dad?
I see there's no avoiding conversing at the two-year old level with you. Sigh. Fine, we'll play it your way.

Are you Rettig's two year old sister?

Look, I can see how this is difficult for you, but maybe you have a grown up friend that can help explain it. It doesn't matter who the QB is, who the other players are, or who is coaching the team. Booing is still the adult version of a two-year old having a temper tantrum.

I didn't see my curiosity as a potentially determining factor in the quarterback race. I'm also at an age where I relish the "wondering while not knowing." Laviano and Nova never felt like they were hung out to dry -- both felt like Flood stood behind them while they struggled, and both made that unambiguously clear.
I think the point about Flood wanting to be different from Schiano is interesting speculation, but it's hardly supported by any facts-in-evidence. It's just circumstantial.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Why are we still talking about this! Last year, Rettig deserved a shot and didn't get it. Any reasonable person will agree with that. End of story!
This is a new year, new coaches, and new Offense. The players in question are a year older, and will once again have to prove their abilities to lead this team to wins. Coaches make those decisions based on their evaluation process, as well as expectations.
So, let's enjoy the "process," hope for the best, and support RU football.
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Reactions: Knight Shift
I'm letting coach Ash decide who going to start as QB. If after 2-3 games where it's obvious the QB isn't working we should allow the backup a chance to play.

I'm letting coach Ash decide who going to start as QB. If after 2-3 games where it's obvious the QB isn't working we should allow the backup a chance to play.
So then,we are back to last year, one guy gets the out of conference
beginning of year conference, and probably won't fail, the other if
he gets a chance somehow, gets Ohio State, Mich,Mich St. etc.
Not any easy thing, so let us not do last year, where Laviano played
against the easy teams and the 4 star never got a peek. In
today's paper, Mehringer said it won't be decided on just
spring statics, completion rates etc. They will take a close look at
character,leadership, potential, off field behavior, etc. That means
he would not have chosen the guy that lead his team mates to a bar
the day before practice. Right? If these coaches hold true to what they
say, then conduct will play a big part in the decision. so we won't
have to bout them picking a guy who stayed up all night with his team
mates with the big decision around the corner.
I watched Rettigg all last season he was on the side line reight
in front of me. He was always the most focused guy there.
Always throwing, talking to coaches just the perfect student of the
game. Never saw an bad attitude, giving gestures and crap like this.
I hope the coaches can pick up on this.

Reactions: ru8081
Why are we still talking about this! Last year, Rettig deserved a shot and didn't get it. Any reasonable person will agree with that. End of story!
Funny. I think any reasonable person would say that no D1 college football player ever deserves playing time. They all need to earn their way onto the field by being better than their competition. And I think any reasonable person would realize that they didn't have one tenth the information the coaching staff had to make the decision as to who had best earned their way onto the field.

Any reasonable person would also realize that Flood and his staff had far more motivation to put the best QB on the field on any given day than anybody else. They would realize that the coaches weren't about to put their coaching careers on the line in order to play favorites.

And any reasonable person would realize that while it's possible that mistakes were made in determining who should play QB, nobody but the coaching staff could really know what reasons Rettig didn't see more of the field. Reasonable people realize that other than the coaching staff, everybody else is just speculating based on less than a tenth of the information necessary to make an fully informed choice.

But otherwise, I totally agree with you. :)

So then,we are back to last year, one guy gets the out of conference
beginning of year conference, and probably won't fail, the other if
he gets a chance somehow, gets Ohio State, Mich,Mich St. etc.
Not any easy thing, so let us not do last year, where Laviano played
against the easy teams and the 4 star never got a peek. In
today's paper, Mehringer said it won't be decided on just
spring statics, completion rates etc. They will take a close look at
character,leadership, potential, off field behavior, etc. That means
he would not have chosen the guy that lead his team mates to a bar
the day before practice. Right? If these coaches hold true to what they
say, then conduct will play a big part in the decision. so we won't
have to bout them picking a guy who stayed up all night with his team
mates with the big decision around the corner.
I watched Rettigg all last season he was on the side line reight
in front of me. He was always the most focused guy there.
Always throwing, talking to coaches just the perfect student of the
game. Never saw an bad attitude, giving gestures and crap like this.
I hope the coaches can pick up on this.
Give it a rest, Mrs. Rettig.
Stop with the character assassination. We get it, you don't like Laviano. Oh heavens, college students stayed up all night. Didn't Carrroo break curfew? Didn't he disobey his teammates and coaches when he was told to stay inside the Hale Center? Why not pile on him? (I will not pile on either--these are college students, and they are young and make mistakes).
fc9b3fa62927ae61187ca955ac8550111ae1ddcf6e70906ac9c5029e40d8e627.jpg

BTW, the coaches said everything is a "clean slate" and nothing from last year matters. Will you have a temper tantrum and boo Laviano this year if he is named the starter?

Funny. I think any reasonable person would say that no D1 college football player ever deserves playing time. They all need to earn their way onto the field by being better than their competition. And I think any reasonable person would realize that they didn't have one tenth the information the coaching staff had to make the decision as to who had best earned their way onto the field.

Any reasonable person would also realize that Flood and his staff had far more motivation to put the best QB on the field on any given day than anybody else. They would realize that the coaches weren't about to put their coaching careers on the line in order to play favorites.

And any reasonable person would realize that while it's possible that mistakes were made in determining who should play QB, nobody but the coaching staff could really know what reasons Rettig didn't see more of the field. Reasonable people realize that other than the coaching staff, everybody else is just speculating based on less than a tenth of the information necessary to make an fully informed choice.

I'm sorry, my assumption of "reasonable" was meant for anyone who EVER put on a helmet, caught or threw a pass, took a hit, defended against the above, played a day of competitive football, or any other sport for that matter. It wasn't meant for the rest of the world who get their knowledge from Madden football or the local magazine rack. So, my mistake if it offended you in any way.
But, otherwise I totally agree with you. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I largely agree with the above... however....

The issue is the way this was all handled/communicated initially - the QB controversy is a product of the staff's messaging as much as anything else.. No one had a tenth of the information the coaching staff did... but the coaching staff said they had two equal quarterbacks that were too close to call in terms of a starter until game week. They then announced a winner to that competition. They then had that winner start the first game, where he did well even without our star NFL-bound WR. They then sat that winner for the rest of the meaningful snaps in the season.

That's.... odd. To say the least. But that's a factual recounting of the events of the start of the year.

Now, given that Laviano essentially took over the team immediately after finishing his suspension, and the coaching staff stuck with him even through some real struggles at points in the season, one can assume that not only did Rettig not win the competition at the start of the year, but that it wasn't really close.

If that assumption is correct... the staff totally botched the messaging and handled the situation horribly.

If Laviano were the clear leader (which it seems he was, given their decision to keep Rettig off the field), that should have been announced sooner than game week for the first game. At the very least, if they were trying to hold off on declaring a starter for as long as possible (to baffle.. Norfolk State?), they should at least have said "one of them is emerging as the leader, but we're not ready to make a decision yet" or something to that effect.

And then, if Laviano was the winner, you *have* to announce that he's the winner. They literally did the opposite of that. They said that Rettig was the winner, that he was our starter for the season opener. And that announcement came out *before* the announcement about Laviano's half game suspension. Of course, once the suspension was announced, there was speculation: was he *really* the winner, or is he just starting because Laviano got suspended?

There aren't many worse ways to have handled that situation. Totally botched.

What should have happened:
The camp messaging should have been that they were close to making a decision, and that one of the QBs was emerging as the leader. Prior to game week, they should have announced Laviano was the starter. The suspension should have been communicated that Laviano was the starting QB, but was going to be suspended for the first half and would come in after halftime, and that Rettig would handle the first half QB duties.

Now, Rettig's performance on the field would have caused people to talk, anyway... but it would have been in the context of "he's the backup, and he was playing against Norfolk St" rather than "he is an equal QB, who won the QB competition, and now isn't being given a fair shot".

I'm sorry, my assumption of "reasonable" was meant for anyone who EVER put on a helmet, caught or threw a pass, took a hit, defended against the above, played a day of competitive football, or any other sport for that matter. It wasn't meant for the rest of the world who get their knowledge from Madden football or the local magazine rack. So, my mistake if it offended you in any way.
But, otherwise I totally agree with you. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
So because someone played football, that makes them more qualified than the actual coaching staff to determine who should play QB even though they STILL don't have 1/10th the coaching staff has? Is that your argument?

We're comparing the coaching staff to the fanbase. Not the fanbase to the fanbase.

I largely agree with the above... however....

The issue is the way this was all handled/communicated initially - the QB controversy is a product of the staff's messaging as much as anything else.. No one had a tenth of the information the coaching staff did... but the coaching staff said they had two equal quarterbacks that were too close to call in terms of a starter until game week. They then announced a winner to that competition. They then had that winner start the first game, where he did well even without our star NFL-bound WR. They then sat that winner for the rest of the meaningful snaps in the season.

That's.... odd. To say the least. But that's a factual recounting of the events of the start of the year.

Now, given that Laviano essentially took over the team immediately after finishing his suspension, and the coaching staff stuck with him even through some real struggles at points in the season, one can assume that not only did Rettig not win the competition at the start of the year, but that it wasn't really close.

If that assumption is correct... the staff totally botched the messaging and handled the situation horribly.

If Laviano were the clear leader (which it seems he was, given their decision to keep Rettig off the field), that should have been announced sooner than game week for the first game. At the very least, if they were trying to hold off on declaring a starter for as long as possible (to baffle.. Norfolk State?), they should at least have said "one of them is emerging as the leader, but we're not ready to make a decision yet" or something to that effect.

And then, if Laviano was the winner, you *have* to announce that he's the winner. They literally did the opposite of that. They said that Rettig was the winner, that he was our starter for the season opener. And that announcement came out *before* the announcement about Laviano's half game suspension. Of course, once the suspension was announced, there was speculation: was he *really* the winner, or is he just starting because Laviano got suspended?

There aren't many worse ways to have handled that situation. Totally botched.

What should have happened:
The camp messaging should have been that they were close to making a decision, and that one of the QBs was emerging as the leader. Prior to game week, they should have announced Laviano was the starter. The suspension should have been communicated that Laviano was the starting QB, but was going to be suspended for the first half and would come in after halftime, and that Rettig would handle the first half QB duties.

Now, Rettig's performance on the field would have caused people to talk, anyway... but it would have been in the context of "he's the backup, and he was playing against Norfolk St" rather than "he is an equal QB, who won the QB competition, and now isn't being given a fair shot".
I see your point about the public message Flood gave out. But I suspect that, had we won all our games, nobody would've cared about it except hardcore Rettig fans.

The good news is that I'm pretty sure we'll see multiple QBs playing this season. Simply because the nature of the QB position in the new offense will lead to some injuries here and there. Hopefully none serious.

That's a ridiculous stance. Enough about the "behaving like a 2 year old." It's a really weak argument. People pay thousands of dollars to see a quality product. These kids get free friggin tuition. You must be new to the tri state area buddy. NY/NJ fans are fickle - get over it. You're insulting the entire fanbase who was absolutely tired of lavianos lackluster play and piss poor attitude. Are you his dad?
Wait I thought the narrative was the fans were booing flood and not laviano. Are you guys finally owning up? No, there is no legitimate reason to boo a college kid. Do you boo Olympians who fall down?

Give it a rest, Mrs. Rettig.
Stop with the character assassination. We get it, you don't like Laviano. Oh heavens, college students stayed up all night. Didn't Carrroo break curfew? Didn't he disobey his teammates and coaches when he was told to stay inside the Hale Center? Why not pile on him? (I will not pile on either--these are college students, and they are young and make mistakes).
fc9b3fa62927ae61187ca955ac8550111ae1ddcf6e70906ac9c5029e40d8e627.jpg

BTW, the coaches said everything is a "clean slate" and nothing from last year matters. Will you have a temper tantrum and boo Laviano this year if he is named the starter?
Dear Ms. Laviano, The Carroo example actually backs up my point. Carroo, Laviano,
The drunken drivers, the home invaders, the thieves, the students that
ignored the work assignments, all are part of the proof, Flood had completely lost
control over his team, and his decision to not give time to the type of characters,
he should have really been backing was, his down fall. What we are saying,
is not about hating these deliquents, it is about giving the others a
chance. you are mixing Carroo into this, fails to point out no one complained
about Carroo's suspention including Carroo himself. evidenced by the
fact he did not take his fustrations out of the fans. This again we want to see
fairness, and I'm sure we can get it. Sorry but your son showed no leadership
qualities, except leading other astray.:)
PS double click on my avatar, and see who my real son is.:)
Wait I know who you are, you must be Mr. Manziel if you think character
means nothing " Oh he just a boy acting like a boy.

Last edited:
I really don't get some of the comments in this thread but I do agree with guys like Lighty who say he should have been given a shot last season. I was clearly in that camp.

I by no means agree with our ex HC but just think about the season. When our team had a chance to win games, Laviano played well and at times very well. Do I think Rettig could have also done that...YES. The games that Laviano looked bad in were games we were overmatched and he was overmatched. Do I think Rettig would have won any of those games for us....NO. If everyone could just agree to what is reality this board would be a much better place. Yes he deserved a shot but don't act like we would have won any more games than we did.

To be fair to our former HC, who I disagree with on this issue 100%, you either have a 2 QB system or you don't. He chose not to. Do you pull Laviano when he is playing well if we have a 1 QB system? Do you put Rettig in only when we are getting crushed to let him be the whipping boy? He stated when he took over for the other coach before him that he would stand by one QB. Many on this board where elated with that comment. I personally was not. This is not the NFL. Nova playing almost 100% in 2014 made perfect sense to anyone with half a Football IQ but last season made little sense to me. They were deemed equal all the way to the first game and they both played well in that game in my humble opinion. Rettig deserved at least a few series in the next game, again in my opinion.

So we will likely see more than 1 QB this season unless one guy pulls away and plays lights out. We should all hope for that to happen and I don't care who that is. Just "be great."

Dear Ms. Laviano, The Carroo example actually backs up my point. Carroo, Laviano,
The drunken drivers, the home invaders, the thieves, the students that
ignored the work assignments, all are part of the proof, Flood had completely lost
control over his team, and his decision to not give time to the type of characters,
he should have really been backing was, his down fall. What we are saying,
is not about hating these deliquents, it is about giving the others a
chance. you are mixing Carroo into this, fails to point out no one complained
about Carroo's suspention including Carroo himself. evidenced by the
fact he did not take his fustrations out of the fans. This again we want to see
fairness, and I'm sure we can get it. Sorry but your son showed no leadership
qualities, except leading other astray.:)
PS double click on my avatar, and see who my real son is.:)
Wait. This was about Laviano--can't really tell from your stream of consciousness rant, but are you blaming the misdeeds of ALL players on Laviano? That's hilarious. You obviously have some sort of issue with the kid. Check other programs such as tOSU and see what kind of trouble the players get into--Did JT Barrett get benched for several run-ins? Corey Clement at Wisconsin?
I guess your rule of giving others a chance only apply if you have some sort of issue with them. Your post is largely incomprehensible.

first past until senior year. saying we need elite players to
experiance throwing.
Not sure if this is sarcasm. If so, please don't mind me. But if not, just wanted to point out Laviano was a four-year starter. He quarterbacked Holy Trinity to a CHSFL Class AAA runner-up finish as a freshman.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is sarcasm. If so, please don't mind me. But if not, just wanted to point out Laviano was a four-year starter. He quarterbacked Holy Trinity to a CHSFL Class AAA runner-up finish as a freshman.
He has ... interesting perspectives. Strongly believes Rutgers should be renamed "University of New Jersey."

Wait. This was about Laviano--can't really tell from your stream of consciousness rant, but are you blaming the misdeeds of ALL players on Laviano? That's hilarious. You obviously have some sort of issue with the kid. Check other programs such as tOSU and see what kind of trouble the players get into--Did JT Barrett get benched for several run-ins? Corey Clement at Wisconsin?
I guess your rule of giving others a chance only apply if you have some sort of issue with them. Your post is largely incomprehensible.
No body said don't give Laviano a chance he was give several, what's you reading comprehension, repeat after me
Rettigg never was given a chance by Flood, Rettigg was never given a chance, Rettigg never given a chance.

No body said don't give Laviano a chance he was give several, what's you reading comprehension, repeat after me
Rettigg never was given a chance by Flood, Rettigg was never given a chance, Rettigg never given a chance.
Um... so yeah, listen, don't do crack! [winking]

What language is that?
At first I thought it was an obscure variant of the ancient Doublease. In the original, archaic form of Doublease, it would've been more like: "hhaayyddeenn rreettiigg". In 69 BC, the first variant was introduced, which skipped every third doubling: "hhaayddeen rreetiigg". Then came other variants, such as the immensely popular Capital Variant which would be: "HHayden RRettig".

But with more consideration, I think it might be some entirely different language. Or a previously undiscovered variant. It's very exciting though.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I really don't know. No body knows.

So because someone played football, that makes them more qualified than the actual coaching staff to determine who should play QB even though they STILL don't have 1/10th the coaching staff has? Is that your argument?

We're comparing the coaching staff to the fanbase. Not the fanbase to the fanbase.
Well, if you are comparing this fanbase to our previous coaching staff, then yes, absolutely yes! This assumption that many make, which is that if you are a Coach, then consequently you must be a great football evaluator, recruiter, x's and o's, etc....And, nothing could be further from the truth. It's like equating a Catholic Priest with everything holy, and they can do no wrong. Well, we know better don't we(see Pediphile). For clarification; No not every pediphile is a priest. Each situation is unique. But, I wouldn't send my child to a Catholic summer camp.

You see, many on this board have athletic backgrounds, many have coached on various levels, and as stated many have played, again at various levels. But, regardless of the level of play the majority of those "fans," will acknowledge the need to make changes. (Insert definition of Insanity here) There were times that we needed a change last year, and it never came.
Flood and his merrymen are now unemployed. Enough said.

Still don't understand what's so hard about understanding that people were not booing Laviano, but the fact that Flood was sending him back in. By then in the season people had had enough and no TD passes in literally the last half of the season to that point, all people wanted to see was a change just to know what could have happened, and Laviano is hobbling around on half a leg and he gets taken out for 1 play so Rettig can hand off the ball and then Flood put him back in again. THAT was what they were booing.

Reactions: ru8081
I see your point about the public message Flood gave out. But I suspect that, had we won all our games, nobody would've cared about it except hardcore Rettig fans.

I agree. But since we struggled at points, and struggled particularly at the QB position at points, the traditionally "most popular guy on the team" backup QB was given that much more attention/controversy because of how Flood/Co hyped him prior to the season.

People took Flood at his word when he said how good Rettig was, and how equal in skill he was to Laviano. They remembered starting the first game with our new starting QB doing well (not our "backup QB stepping up to fill in", but "the guy who won the QB competition having success"). When the going got rough, it was perfectly natural for the fanbase to want to see how the other, "equal" QB would do if given a shot... based on how their expectations were set (mis-set?) at the start of the season.

Some very simple statements would have gone a long way:

"Chris Laviano is our starting quarterback for this season, having won the position in camp. Unfortunately, due to a violation of team rules, Chris and Leonte will be suspended for the first half of the opener. I am 100% confident in Hayden as our backup, and am sure he will do well for us in the first half against Norfolk State, but Chris is our starting QB. He will start the second half this week, and will be our starter moving forward. Any questions?"

Instead, we got the jumbled mess of messaging and expectations that poured forth in the weeks leading up to the opener, and a recipe for a serious QB controversy once the starter showed any signs of faltering.

Having spent time with Meyer and Bielema, I really doubt Ash will be that ham handed in his messaging regarding our starting QB for next year.

Still don't understand what's so hard about understanding that people were not booing Laviano, but the fact that Flood was sending him back in. By then in the season people had had enough and no TD passes in literally the last half of the season to that point, all people wanted to see was a change just to know what could have happened, and Laviano is hobbling around on half a leg and he gets taken out for 1 play so Rettig can hand off the ball and then Flood put him back in again. THAT was what they were booing.

Because boos are hand grenades not sniper rifles. Saying "I wasn't throwing it at you, but at the guy next to you" is meaningless.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT