ADVERTISEMENT

Herbstreit trashes culture surrounding Texas Longhorns - ouch!

Texas has high standards. Strong isn't close to reaching them. Not sure this is a big surprise. They got rid of Mack Brown and he won a national championship. I am sure Strong new what he was getting into. If he didn't, that's his own fault.

Texas is simple. Win big or get fired.

That's what it's like at a destination job in college football. You've got to come in and produce almost immediately. Strong's had two losing seasons and already has three losses this season; which is probably about as many as a Texas fan would put up with in any given year. It's harsh, but that's why these coaches at the top jobs make the big bucks.

Believe it or not - even AFTER the last 2 games - Texas(115th) is ranked lower in Total D than we are (104th). Shockingly there are still 24 teams below us including 'Cuse and UVA (both with new HC's as well) and Oregon.

Okay with that being said, honestly, I agree with Herbie.

Last edited:
Strong's a defensive coach. If Texas' defense is that bad after him being there over two years, maybe he deserves to be fired. It's not like Texas would be having problems with lack of talent.

Mack Brown is the one who got hosed. Charlie Strong has been awful.

no sympathy here...big donors expect big results, as they should. Strong isn't earning his salary (meeting expectations). Kirk lost perspective. Texas isn't Rice.

Strong's a defensive coach. If Texas' defense is that bad after him being there over two years, maybe he deserves to be fired. It's not like Texas would be having problems with lack of talent.
Wait. You are saying coaching matters? :)

Not sure how I feel about Herbie's rant. Going from being a DC/LB with a National Championship Florida team to a HC in Louisville was a good move. Let's be honest, the media pushed that hire real hard and at the end of the day both Louisville and Strong benefited. Then he jumped ship and accepted the position as the University of Texas HC, a move that's turned out to be a big mistake.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17Q66
if not for this rabid culture Herbie rails against, no one would pay attention to him or even know who he is. is quite a hypocrite to complain about big time culture. They are paying Strong well to deliver. He should ask Mack Brown or Les Miles if Strong isn't being treated fairly.

I'm not convinced Strong doesn't know what he's doing. He was handed a team that had been pretty mediocre, and it was known that Brown's last few classes were going to pose a problem for the next guy for a few years. And so it has.

In Ash's third year, Rutgers is still not likely to be very good, for the same (or similar) reason. Will Ash supporters be trying to dump in in early October of 2018 if you're struggling? I know Strong makes a lot of money, more than Ash, but at some point, there is only so much much a coach can do. Sometimes it just takes patience.

I'm not convinced Strong doesn't know what he's doing. He was handed a team that had been pretty mediocre, and it was known that Brown's last few classes were going to pose a problem for the next guy for a few years. And so it has.

In Ash's third year, Rutgers is still not likely to be very good, for the same (or similar) reason. Will Ash supporters be trying to dump in in early October of 2018 if you're struggling? I know Strong makes a lot of money, more than Ash, but at some point, there is only so much much a coach can do. Sometimes it just takes patience.
Charlie Strong's first year at Texas was 2014. So Texas' 2010 recruiting class would have been seniors that year. Here are the classes that Strong had to work with when he came in:

2010 #3 ranked (Rivals)
2011 #3
2012 #2
2013 #24

I know he kicked some kids off the team, but that's hardly chopped liver.

Wait. You are saying coaching matters? :)
Of course coaching matters. I've never implied that it doesn't.

Strong is now 13-17. Does Herbie think Ohio State wouldn't be considering replacing a coach who went 13-17?

If he wants to blast fan bases for being too impatient with their $5 million/season coaches, that is one thing. But don't think Texas is any different than Ohio State.

He gets paid $5 Million plus a year. At some point, there have to be some expectations. 13-17 in 2 and a half season, 9-11 in conference. Texas was 25-14 in Mack Brown's final 3 seasons.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
I think at a place like Texas or OSU three years is enough Time to expect improvement. Firing him last year would have been wrong but end of year three I could support it.

Was hoping Strong would work out there but he doesn't have enough of a track record to stick with him for another year. If I have Texas money and I have a proven, championship coach I can hire, Strong is gone.

If you guys want Robb Smith back in 2017. He will be available in early December, 2016.

There is no way he will be retained at Arkansas.

At a program like that, with that kind of money and support, three years is enough to at least show you're on the right track. I still think Strong is a good coach, but sometimes you're just not the right fit. But no way does he need five years the way a guy walking into our situation needed. No way.

Most programs who hire a new coach after the last coach was fired for performance deserves 4-5 years to turn it around. They probably got fired and the new coach hired because their record sucked as did their recruiting. A new guy needs and deserves time to get his guys in.

There are outliers, and Texas is one of them. Mack left him a stacked team. Just look at the rankings of the classes that Strong walked into.

Texas is getting out coached and losing, and it isn't because of the great talent that he was given.

You can't compare Texas with Rutgers, if Rutgers had Texas's resources, we would be OSU.

Their fans and donors demand national championships, with Strong they wanted him fired before he coached a single game, LOL.

For Texas, one of the problemsis this, imanage if the the most negative posters here, you know the idiots that were calling for Ash to be fired after Washington scored their 1st touchdown, the dumbest of the dumb, now imagine if their were also our biggest donors! Well, that is the case at Texas. That is why it is toxic, it is the same reason why UND will never join a conference for football. Their biggest donors threatened to pull their donations if they joined the Big Ten or the ACC.

Charlie Strong's first year at Texas was 2014. So Texas' 2010 recruiting class would have been seniors that year. Here are the classes that Strong had to work with when he came in:

2010 #3 ranked (Rivals)
2011 #3
2012 #2
2013 #24

I know he kicked some kids off the team, but that's hardly chopped liver.

Of course coaching matters. I've never implied that it doesn't.
Wasn't directed at you. Coaching does matter, and your post supports it. Some feel that it's all about talent on the field. It's both coaching and talent.

Reactions: JQRU91
You can't compare Texas with Rutgers, if Rutgers had Texas's resources, we would be OSU.

Their fans and donors demand national championships, with Strong they wanted him fired before he coached a single game, LOL.

For Texas, one of the problemsis this, imanage if the the most negative posters here, you know the idiots that were calling for Ash to be fired after Washington scored their 1st touchdown, the dumbest of the dumb, now imagine if their were also our biggest donors! Well, that is the case at Texas. That is why it is toxic, it is the same reason why UND will never join a conference for football. Their biggest donors threatened to pull their donations if they joined the Big Ten or the ACC.

Not really accurate at all. Texas stuck with Mack Brown for sixteen years. Charlie Strong has been a disaster. Well on to his third losing season in three years at Texas! Mack Brown had one in sixteen.
It's Mack Brown who got the raw deal. Texas fans have a right to be perturbed.

Were those classes that good, or did kids' rankings rise after they committed to Texas? I remember reading at the time how the talent level had slid at Texas in Mack Brown's last few years. For years, Notre Dame pulled top-10 classes too, and then went 6-5 and 7-4 consistently, and the gripe from around the country was that their classes were always overated because the folks writing the recruiting publications (and now websites) wanted to get those huge fan bases to subscribe.

Basically, I'm not sure Strong inherited classes that were as good as the rankings said they were.

Were those classes that good, or did kids' rankings rise after they committed to Texas? I remember reading at the time how the talent level had slid at Texas in Mack Brown's last few years. For years, Notre Dame pulled top-10 classes too, and then went 6-5 and 7-4 consistently, and the gripe from around the country was that their classes were always overated because the folks writing the recruiting publications (and now websites) wanted to get those huge fan bases to subscribe.

Basically, I'm not sure Strong inherited classes that were as good as the rankings said they were.

Classes were still very very good and no excuse for Strong's current lack of success. Problem with Brown was that he wiffed on picking good QBs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT