ADVERTISEMENT

High School Basketball Rule Change for Next Season - No More One And Ones

colbert17

Heisman Winner
Aug 30, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
Also instead of seven fouls in a half to shot it will be five fouls each quarter, Once you're over the limit all fouls will be two shots.

Next year, high school basketball teams will shoot two free throws for common fouls when in the bonus. This change to Rule 4-8-1 eliminates one-and-one free throws and sets new foul limits.
Previously, teams were awarded the one-and-one bonus once their opponents committed seven fouls in a half. In that scenario, the shooter would have to make the first foul shot in order to be awarded a second. An automatic two foul shots were given when 10 fouls were committed.
In addition to awarding two foul shots for all common fouls, teams will reach the bonus when their opponent commits five fouls in each quarter and get an automatic two shots. Instead of tracking fouls for a full half, the new NFHS rule resets team fouls at the end of each quarter.

I already don't like the double bonus.
This makes the end of games less exciting (tougher to come back) and there is less of a penalty for being bad at free throws. Hate it.

I wonder why anyone thought this was necessary
I'd rather have seen a point of emphasis on strictly enforcing intentional foul rules at the end of games - if the physicality of fouls near the end of the game was the issue that would help solve it.

I already don't like the double bonus.
This makes the end of games less exciting (tougher to come back) and there is less of a penalty for being bad at free throws. Hate it.

I wonder why anyone thought this was necessary
I'd rather have seen a point of emphasis on strictly enforcing intentional foul rules at the end of games - if the physicality of fouls near the end of the game was the issue that would help solve it.
I think it is in response to more aggressive high school play, that has lead to conflict. I think were also going to see more players getting technicals for talking back to officials.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
I think it is in response to more aggressive high school play, that has lead to conflict. I think were also going to see more players getting technicals for talking back to officials.
I feel for HS officials, it's a tough job, doesn't pay much and they take tons of shit no matter what they do.

BUT - as a group they refuse to enforce some simple rules, that were even points of emphasis because... I have no idea why, it would make their lives easier.
Start with illegal contact on the ballhandler which was specifically written a few years ago to eliminate the official's discretion and make those calls simpler.

Also instead of seven fouls in a half to shot it will be five fouls each quarter, Once you're over the limit all fouls will be two shots.

Next year, high school basketball teams will shoot two free throws for common fouls when in the bonus. This change to Rule 4-8-1 eliminates one-and-one free throws and sets new foul limits.
Previously, teams were awarded the one-and-one bonus once their opponents committed seven fouls in a half. In that scenario, the shooter would have to make the first foul shot in order to be awarded a second. An automatic two foul shots were given when 10 fouls were committed.
In addition to awarding two foul shots for all common fouls, teams will reach the bonus when their opponent commits five fouls in each quarter and get an automatic two shots. Instead of tracking fouls for a full half, the new NFHS rule resets team fouls at the end of each quarter.
Would love to see a shot clock.

There are a few states that introduced a HS shot clock last year. Anyone with any feedback for how it went?
New England Prep Schools have been using a 30-second shot clock for years - boys and girls and it's great
Even fairly low-level girls games are vastly more entertaining and it must be hugely better for player development

Leave HS basketball alone. Too many kids don’t know how to play the game. Make them run an offense, dribble, pass, catch, move without the ball. And play defense for an extended period. Plenty of time for run n gun in AAU and college.

Leave HS basketball alone. Too many kids don’t know how to play the game. Make them run an offense, dribble, pass, catch, move without the ball. And play defense for an extended period. Plenty of time for run n gun in AAU and college.
A big reason many HS kids don't know how to play is because HS coaches treat them like robots. With no shot clock, run a set, if you don't get the shot the coach wanted, reset and run something else. Coaches are fine winning 40-38 and never developing players.

Also make the last 4-5 minutes exciting and actual basketball instead of a team up 4 just holding the ball.

The shot clock rewards defense MORE. Tips/deflections and blocked shots become more important and there is an extra reward for good D - a shot clock violation.

The shot clock is the players' best friend. 30 seconds doesn't dictate "run and gun". That's enough time to execute some principles and get a shot.

As a father of a girls HS basketball player would LOVE to see a shot clock. The last five mins of these games is terrible. 35 secs seems fine.

As for officiating, the girls high school officials, generally speaking, are horrific. I am certain the better officials are assigned to boys, and what's left can be rough. Not saying all are bad, some are good, but honestly 5 out of ten are pretty bad. 3 out of ten are not good. And one is ok and one is very good.

I have noticed this spring the officials at Sportica, Spooky Nook, Pittman, etc are a step up from girls high school.

As a father of a girls HS basketball player would LOVE to see a shot clock. The last five mins of these games is terrible. 35 secs seems fine.

As for officiating, the girls high school officials, generally speaking, are horrific. I am certain the better officials are assigned to boys, and what's left can be rough. Not saying all are bad, some are good, but honestly 5 out of ten are pretty bad. 3 out of ten are not good. And one is ok and one is very good.

I have noticed this spring the officials at Sportica, Spooky Nook, Pittman, etc are a step up from girls high school.
LOL - girls refs are rough.
You should see what they get for 2:30 pm on a Wednesday for a girl's game at a Prep School.
They pretty much have to be retired to do those games

A big reason many HS kids don't know how to play is because HS coaches treat them like robots. With no shot clock, run a set, if you don't get the shot the coach wanted, reset and run something else. Coaches are fine winning 40-38 and never developing players.

Also make the last 4-5 minutes exciting and actual basketball instead of a team up 4 just holding the ball.

The shot clock rewards defense MORE. Tips/deflections and blocked shots become more important and there is an extra reward for good D - a shot clock violation.

The shot clock is the players' best friend. 30 seconds doesn't dictate "run and gun". That's enough time to execute some principles and get a shot.
Agree fully except for paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 4. Now get off my lawn :-)

• Haha
Not a great free throw shooter. About 60% in high school. Shooting one to take two, was always heavy on my mind. Missing that first one is a lot of pressure and letting your team down in a very visible way. Two shots, I always figured I'd make at least one. Wonder if this decision is intended to reduce stress.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT