ADVERTISEMENT

Hobbs Fires Softball Coach Nelson

BOOM!

...and for the incessantly whiny posters (you know who you are...)...WE TOLD YOU...Hobbs means “business” in every way which included getting rid of dead weight AT THE proper time.
He had the chance to not bring back Donigan in 2017 when his contract ended, but instead extended him 2 more years, which was a mistake. Why wasn't that the proper time?

Reactions: Local Shill
He had the chance to not bring back Donigan in 2017 when his contract ended, but instead extended him 2 more years, which was a mistake. Why wasn't that the proper time?

OH MY GOD JUST STOP. We’ve been through this 100 times, not just with me but with a bunch of other posters, telling you the same thing I’ve been telling you, Why do you continue with the nonsense? Odds are after the 2019 season he’s gone, so put it to rest for now, geez man lol!! Hobbs had three things to deal with when he first arrived here that temped everything else: the athletic department overall, football, and basketball. Now he’s starting to fire coaches one by one who aren’t getting the job done. The last three or four should be more than enough evidence for you to come to the realization that he’s going to get it right when the time comes.

Do you have to ruin every thread that’s not about soccer with the same crap? I mean I get it, I’m a huge soccer fan, played it all my life, followed the team when I was at school, and despite the fact that I grew up with the guy and he’s my friend, I agree, if he doesn’t get the job done this year he should be let go...., But do you have to be so incessant about it? Nothing is going to change right now, bottom line, so what good is it doing you buddy?

Last edited:
Let's list the hot seat for current Olympic coaches at this point IMO (leaving out softball and gymnastics of course):

1.) Cold as Liquid Nitrogen (won't be fired short of a major national scandal): Goodale, O'Neill, Brecht

2.) Cool (next to no danger of being dismissed): Civico, Price, Mulqueen, Ritchie

3.) Lukewarm (Unsure about what direction Hobbs will go in): Litterio, Men's/Women's Golf HCs

4.) Hot (Hobbs could make a move): Women's T/F HC

5.) Nuclear (Hobbs will fire at contract end minus radical improvements): Donigan, Brand Sias, Werneke (Volleyball HC)

Last edited:
Reactions: Local Shill
Werneke has been here for 10 years and posts a 5-27 (0-20) record? Anyone on this board could do that well from their recliner.

Pat Hobbs is the best AD we've ever had. He understands that an athletic department is only as good as the weakest link. He wants to win in everything. Obviously football and basketball are the revenue sports that need to drive the bus, but he wants to win in anything that requires kids putting on a jersey with Rutgers on it.

Pat Hobbs is the best AD we've ever had. He understands that an athletic department is only as good as the weakest link. He wants to win in everything. Obviously football and basketball are the revenue sports that need to drive the bus, but he wants to win in anything that requires kids putting on a jersey with Rutgers on it.
Which is also the B1G way too.

It's the way every mature department and school thinks. Why field a team if you aren't trying to win it all in everything? Just send those resources elsewhere.

I truly believe, by hook or by crook, we are going to have fully funded programs with proper support. And not one more.

OH MY GOD JUST STOP. We’ve been through this 100 times, not just with me but with a bunch of other posters, telling you the same thing I’ve been telling you, Why do you continue with the nonsense? Odds are after the 2019 season he’s gone, so put it to rest for now, geez man lol!! Hobbs had three things to deal with when he first arrived here that temped everything else: the athletic department overall, football, and basketball. Now he’s starting to fire coaches one by one who aren’t getting the job done. The last three or four should be more than enough evidence for you to come to the realization that he’s going to get it right when the time comes.

Do you have to ruin every thread that’s not about soccer with the same crap? I mean I get it, I’m a huge soccer fan, played it all my life, followed the team when I was at school, and despite the fact that I grew up with the guy and he’s my friend, I agree, if he doesn’t get the job done this year he should be let go...., But do you have to be so incessant about it? Nothing is going to change right now, bottom line, so what good is it doing you buddy?
I've yet to see any rational argument for not moving on after his contract was up (instead of extending it 2 more years). Money can't be that tight where we couldn't pay a new head coach $350,000-$400,000.

I've yet to see any rational argument for not moving on after his contract was up (instead of extending it 2 more years). Money can't be that tight where we couldn't pay a new head coach $350,000-$400,000.
He might want the highering of a new coach to occur when we have improved facilities. If he went out to hire a coach after 2017, there’s a good chance we would not have attracted the guy we wanted. Hobbs has shown numerous times that he knows what he is doing. We’re not good at soccer. I get it. But we need a lot more than new coach to fix that. Based on everything that has occurred, it’s safe to say we clearly have a plan for the landscape of RU Athletics. You can choose to either ignore it or throw a hissy fit because he’s not doing it your way

Reactions: rags
What coach of a top ranked softball team could be pulled from the PAC 12, SEC or Big XII?

Maybe it's time for RU to form a team in a sport nobody plays, get real good at it and convince some other schools to form teams, get the NCAA to sanction it so we can beat up on everyone every year and win championships every year. What sport? Handball!

Reactions: CerealNTacos
Let's list the hot seat for current Olympic coaches at this point IMO (leaving out softball and gymnastics of course):

1.) Cold as Liquid Nitrogen (won't be fired short of a major national scandal): Goodale, O'Neill, Brecht

2.) Cool (next to no danger of being dismissed): Civico, Price, Mulqueen, Ritchie

3.) Lukewarm (Unsure about what direction Hobbs will go in): Litterio, Men's/Women's Golf HCs

4.) Hot (Hobbs could make a move): Women's T/F HC

5.) Nuclear (Hobbs will fire at contract end minus radical improvements): Donigan, Brand Sias, Werneke (Volleyball HC)

What about Pikiell? I think hes in category #1

What coach of a top ranked softball team could be pulled from the PAC 12, SEC or Big XII?

Maybe it's time for RU to form a team in a sport nobody plays, get real good at it and convince some other schools to form teams, get the NCAA to sanction it so we can beat up on everyone every year and win championships every year. What sport? Handball!

We should have a women’s bowling team instead of volleyball.

Here’s a thought:

Would you rather him have fires DD when he came in here, and was trying to take of really, really important things like fixing the entire **** of a mess of an athletic department, football, and basketball, and hire the wrong coach just to get rid of Dan, or higher the right guy (hopefully), based on a thorough regional AND national search ALONG WITH with more $$$, following this season?

Simple question. I’m with the latter, hands down, as I’d bet anything Pat and everyone around him was/is. It makes sense don’t you think?

Reactions: rags

I’m friends with the NU radio broadcaster for NU women’s softball. The first trip NU made to RU the broadcast folks showed up about 4 hours before the first game and asked where they could set up to do the games. They got a deer in the headlights stare from the AD person in charge. They scrambled around and set up a folding table behind Home plat for the radio guys and they did the broadcast via their cell phones because there wasn’t any kind of media “hookups” for them to run their broadcast through(I don’t know how that all works so excuse the lack of fine points). So it sounds like some updates might be in order.

We should have a women’s bowling team instead of volleyball.

Not that they have any say in it, but the Big 10 would not be pleased if dropped volleyball. That is a staple women’s sport in the conference. They would say less if you dropped women’s hoops than volleyball.

Here’s a thought:

Would you rather him have fires DD when he came in here, and was trying to take of really, really important things like fixing the entire **** of a mess of an athletic department, football, and basketball, and hire the wrong coach just to get rid of Dan, or higher the right guy (hopefully), based on a thorough regional AND national search ALONG WITH with more $$$, following this season?

Simple question. I’m with the latter, hands down, as I’d bet anything Pat and everyone around him was/is. It makes sense don’t you think?
Obviously, I want him to hire the right guy. I give him more credit that he could've done so in 2017, as he's a very smart guy and can handle fixing all that's on his plate, so I'm still not sure why he kicked the can down the road, but we'll likely have to wait until 2019 now and it may be very rough to dig out of the hole by then. You know I hated the Donigan hire from the start.

I think digging the hole deeper with Donigan has potentially more devastating impact as compared to firing him before the last extension. At least you start moving in a different direction sooner rather than later. There wasn't much evidence that Donigan was going to lead a resurgence.

This situation gets brought up with football and basketball all the time about how keeping the wrong coach too long can bury a program making it that much more difficult for the next coach to dig out of.

Reactions: Leonard23
Bottom line is with the talent in this area the right guy with the right connections can turn this program around in two years so, again, If that was Hobbs’ line of thinking, to hold off until he can hire the right guy, I’m 100% fine with it. So long, of course, the new guy gets us back to our glory days ha ha Ha

The addition of winter training facility was great. Probably contributed to baseball and softball starting season better than in past. Softball field is at a high school level so work needed there too.

I’m friends with the NU radio broadcaster for NU women’s softball. The first trip NU made to RU the broadcast folks showed up about 4 hours before the first game and asked where they could set up to do the games. They got a deer in the headlights stare from the AD person in charge. They scrambled around and set up a folding table behind Home plat for the radio guys and they did the broadcast via their cell phones because there wasn’t any kind of media “hookups” for them to run their broadcast through(I don’t know how that all works so excuse the lack of fine points). So it sounds like some updates might be in order.
As soon as we get our full payout in 2023. Till then tell your radio guys to have their cell phones charged to 100%. And next time tell them to bring their own friggin table. What do you think this is the Ritz Hotel?

Seriously, I wouldn't hold my breath on a new stadium for a long, long time.. You'll have to get used to the metal blenchers and high school field. The full payout isn't going to pay for anything but eliminating the subsidy.

No "big name" softball coach will be coming to RU anytime soon, unless Hobbs promises MAJOR facility upgrades and a big-time mentality for the program. Jay Miller is the interim head coach and it would not surprise me if he was still here for next season. Best Rutgers could possibly do is get the attention of a high-performing mid-level D1 coach like Bridget Orchard from Fordham. But unless she was getting paid big money, why leave? Fordham's facilities are nicer, they recruit better than Rutgers, and there's a much easier path to the NCAA Tournament through the Patriot League than the B1G. Same could be said for pretty much any successful D1 coach in a 100-mile radius.

Reactions: bigmatt718
No "big name" softball coach will be coming to RU anytime soon, unless Hobbs promises MAJOR facility upgrades and a big-time mentality for the program. Jay Miller is the interim head coach and it would not surprise me if he was still here for next season. Best Rutgers could possibly do is get the attention of a high-performing mid-level D1 coach like Bridget Orchard from Fordham. But unless she was getting paid big money, why leave? Fordham's facilities are nicer, they recruit better than Rutgers, and there's a much easier path to the NCAA Tournament through the Patriot League than the B1G. Same could be said for pretty much any successful D1 coach in a 100-mile radius.

LOL you must be a hot ticket item for all your friend's parties. :eyes:

LOL you must be a hot ticket item for all your friend's parties. :eyes:
Tell me why I'm wrong. Rutgers Softball is important to a handful of people (myself included) and it's very disappointing to see how stagnant the program has been for such a long time. But without a significant investment, nothing is going to change. Better to stick with Jay Miller (a very good coach and superior recruiter to Nelson) for the time being and work on building the facilities up to attract better players/coaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sluggersdad
Tell me why I'm wrong. Rutgers Softball is important to a handful of people (myself included) and it's very disappointing to see how stagnant the program has been for such a long time. But without a significant investment, nothing is going to change. Better to stick with Jay Miller (a very good coach and superior recruiter to Nelson) for the time being and work on building the facilities up to attract better players/coaches.

I actually don’t disagree why you. Just hanging some fun. That being said: CLEAN HOUSE. Period, IMHO.

Wishful thinking. She was our best player and likely transferred to win, just like our former men's soccer players.
Yup. She went to Washington and is now playing in the Super Regional. If you're that caliber of player, you want to play for a winning team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT