ADVERTISEMENT

HOBOKEN GAME WATCH PARTY UPDATE

dosent school make official watch party locations? Seems same with with no50/50 ,security lines,no alley,no seat cushions,no water, they are not up on certain fan topics this season.whats up Mr Hobbs?

Usually the local alumni associations organize the game watches and then it is promoted centrally through RU alumni association and other channels.

Some of the bars also purchase an advertising package through RU which makes them an "official" game watch bar and gets them advertising in the stadium and through RU athletics. But the bars have to pay a fee for this second paragraph.

I am working with NUTS & John O and local bars in Hoboken to get a host bar organized for the Nebraska game and other 2017 away game watches. I would hope other regular bars in different areas (NYC, Middlesex, Ocean, Monmouth, Morris, Atlantic, etc.) are mobilized and ready to host their regular game watches - but that's up to each local alumni or alumni association to organize.

@AreYouNUTS id look into biggies, nice spot

Horrible spot for a game watching party. Layout just not conducive IMHO.

On another note I loved the original Biggies, but can't stand this one, at all. They increased their prices by about 30 to 40% across-the-board, give smaller portions, and the food just doesn't taste the same in my humble opinion. So disappointed that they close down the original spot.

dosent school make official watch party locations? Seems same with with no50/50 ,security lines,no alley,no seat cushions,no water, they are not up on certain fan topics this season.whats up Mr Hobbs?

The "school" doesn't do it, we alumni do, BUT the athletic department offers sponsorship packages to be called "official watch party" and th bar gets advertising through PA announcements, the video board, etc. etc., the AA also send out mass emails and puts the locations in the monthly magazine.

Realistically theres a ton more RU people in hoboken but PSU people are a cult. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. Of them acts like superfans.

People from psu are the loser try hards you went to high school with who left and went away to college came back thought they were cool but now theyre just tools

Were cool? Never were!

And agree- I know Michigan, Ohio State and other fans and they support their teams but act like normal human beings.

The "school" doesn't do it, we alumni do, BUT the athletic department offers sponsorship packages to be called "official watch party" and th bar gets advertising through PA announcements, the video board, etc. etc., the AA also send out mass emails and puts the locations in the monthly magazine.

The problem is that the alumni association isn't as active in NJ in the way it should be. They presume because you're in NJ that the local alums do not need to be organized.

There could be even more non-football related happy hour things going on in JC and Hoboken, and there just aren't. Given the rising costs in the area the local alums are in some of the best position to give- often well off and childless- and they aren't being contacted in an organized way.

It's great that you and others are organizing, but the alumni association should be more active overall.

The problem is that the alumni association isn't as active in NJ in the way it should be. They presume because you're in NJ that the local alums do not need to be organized.

There could be even more non-football related happy hour things going on in JC and Hoboken, and there just aren't. Given the rising costs in the area the local alums are in some of the best position to give- often well off and childless- and they aren't being contacted in an organized way.

It's great that you and others are organizing, but the alumni association should be more active overall.

This a good point and I don't disagree with it. Especially for the JC/Hoboken areas where there is such a large concentration of RU alumni and many of them recent so its a great opportunity. I know there is a North Jersey alumni group - but thats such a broad area and I haven't seen many events organized by that group. I really think each county should have its own alumni association group.

The NYC alumni association has actually been doing a spectacular job putting on events such as networking, regular happy hours, Big Ten tie-in events, Yankee game coming up (with an offer to get a hat with NY and the R logos on it!).

This a good point and I don't disagree with it. Especially for the JC/Hoboken areas where there is such a large concentration of RU alumni and many of them recent so its a great opportunity. I know there is a North Jersey alumni group - but thats such a broad area and I haven't seen many events organized by that group. I really think each county should have its own alumni association group.

The NYC alumni association has actually been doing a spectacular job putting on events such as networking, regular happy hours, Big Ten tie-in events, Yankee game coming up (with an offer to get a hat with NY and the R logos on it!).

Agree, and I know from living in the city and having friends still there- would love to see a Hudson County version of that.

Agree, and I know from living in the city and having friends still there- would love to see a Hudson County version of that.

I've spoken to my contacts in alumni association and engagement and it's something they would fully support. They have recently made the local alumni groups more formalized requiring some very minor steps such as a charter, one event/year, and a minimum 4 person board. They had experienced a lot of these groups would be created but never became very active. I'm considering launching a Hudson County version - I think the support would be there from others interested.

For now I'm focused on landing a host bar in Hoboken for the game watches. Then I'll see if there's interest from others in forming a Hudson County Rutgers Alumni Association.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
When I searched NYC alumni association on google PSU was the first , second and third link to come up (1. Homepage, 2. Events page, 3. Facebook page).

Apparently something revolutionary is coming to the Rutgers Club of NYC. I shall be notified when it occurs.

When I searched NYC alumni association on google PSU was the first , second and third link to come up (1. Homepage, 2. Events page, 3. Facebook page).

Apparently something revolutionary is coming to the Rutgers Club of NYC. I shall be notified when it occurs.

On DuckDuckGo the first 3 (after CCNY and NYU) are Alabama, PSU, UCLA.

(Side note: Gave up using Google, for the most part, for searches a few years ago & switched to DuckDuckGo for the following reason:

We don’t track you.
What you search for is your own business and we’d like to keep it that way. That’s why we don’t collect any personal information and therefore, have none to share.

I've found only about 5% of the time I don't find what I need and have to then use Google.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT