ADVERTISEMENT

EDITED>>>Holy moses...take w grain of salt...bart preseason

I don't think defense and rebounding are bad things, they're good things. I also think if that's the roster you're dealt, that is what you focus on.

We had Doorson, Carter and Myles Johnson last year and I think out of necessity, there wasnt 80 minutes there, even if you add Eugene.

29 Eugene
16 Myles
16 Shaq Doorson
13 Shaq Carter

In B1G games those numbers were:

Eugene: 28.2
Myles: 18
Carter: 15.8
Doorson 17.8
Total: 79.8

Appears to me we are a natural "two deep" at every position except Center, where we may be three deep.:

Young/Mulcahy
Baker/Mathis
Harper/McConnell
Omuryuri/Yeboah
Johnson/Doucoure/Carter

Coach P is a good HC and will clearly play lineups with folks in different spots than above (i.e. Baker at PG, McConnell at 2G, Yeboah at WF), but I think if you plug minute splits in to the above you'll get pretty close.

Just my $0.02

Last edited:
The big question is will a smaller lineup actually be a better defensive unit vs. most teams in the B1G....Obviously won't argue that we'd be a better defensive rebounding team.

There are also varying degrees of going small.

1, 2, Harper, Yeboah, Eugene is MUCH different than
1,2,McConnell, Harper, Eugene

In B1G games those numbers were:

Eugene: 28.2
Myles: 18
Carter: 15.8
Doorson 17.8
Total: 79.8

Eugene got 3 DNP so it skews things a hair....
Eugene 480 minutes
Myles 359 minutes
Shaq c 316 minutes
Shaq D 356
Duke 7
Total 1518 minutes
Games 20.125 (1 OT)

DREB per minute (b1G play)

Myles .1727
eugene .1625
shaq c .1519
caleb .1381
harper .1229
montez .1040
shaq d .0983
kiss .0870
baker .0801

Apples to Oranges
Yeboah (all games) .1894

In theory this lineup does OK on the defensive glass.....
Baker
Montez
Caleb
Harper
Eugene

You are assuming Harper can grab rebounds at a similar rate whether he is matched up against Tyler Cook rather than Joel Weiscamp or the same versus Jordan Murphy rather than Gabe Kalscheur (for example). I very much challenge that assumption.

I know I mentioned this before but Coach P had every ability to give Harper minutes at the "4" when Eugene went down. He did not. He went to Carter for the bulk of those minutes. Maybe it was the matchups (Purdue, Minnesota, NW), but Carter played 26 (4 fouls), 30 and 34 minutes in the three games EO missed.

Last edited:
You are assuming Harper can grab rebounds at a similar rate whether he is matched up against Tyler Cook rather than Joel Weiscamp or the same versus Jordan Murphy rather than Gabe Kalscheur (for example). I very much challenge that assumption.

I know I mentioned this before but Coach P had every ability to give Harper minutes at the "4" when Eugene went down. He did not. He went to Carter for the bulk of those minutes. Maybe it was the matchups (Purdue, Minnesota, NW), but Carter played 26 (4 fouls), 30 and 34 minutes in the three games EO missed.

100%. Shaq D rebound numbers would say he rebounded like a guard on the defensive glass. Numbers may not reflect that there were rebounds made by McConnell or Harper that were there because Shaq D boxed the 5 out.

Did I mention......:cop:
Last year if you didnt want to play Kiss and Issa....
Baker 35
Montez 30
Caleb 25
Total 90 out of 120

For every minute Ron would have played at the 4 meant Kiss or Issa had to be on the floor.

It essentially was Kiss vs. Shaq Carter

This year (KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!!!!!)
Pick your worst (Caleb,Montez,Paul,Yeboah,Young....) vs. Shaq Carter or Duke

Right now ...my eight would be
Baker 28
Eugene 27
Mathis 26
Harper 26
Young 24
Johnson 24
Yeboah 23
Mulchay 22

And ...I like Caleb game a lot ...I just like the guys ahead of him more ...and I think that speaks a lot of the talent we are developing.

And we all know who shot the best from 3 last year. Oh yeah, I think it was the same guy who had the most steals per minute.

This minute projection game everyone is playing is tough, I get it, but Caleb might be our best shooter from 3 two years in a row and he is only going to play when someone is in foul trouble? I don’t think Pike thinks like that with a player of Caleb’s contribution level. What if Caleb improves his shooting?

Last edited:
Reactions: Scangg
I am positive Caleb won't be out of the rotation.

It also would seem to be a strange move for Pike to shorten his rotation this season when we are so deep to 8. He was giving Thiam and Kiss minutes last year even when they were both really struggling.

Still abstaining from minutes projections. A couple guys are going to progress more than we think and a couple guys are going to plateau or not progress as much.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Guys

I made the point in the middle of January when we struggle that our playing of too many players was really hurting getting into rythem and flow. Once we shorten the bench some...more winning followed

Don’t think it was a coincidence

I hear what you are saying ...”i like this guy, I like this guy”.....but the reality is without playing smaller ...we have 132 minutes (Gene isn’t playing less than 28 per game as a senior) ...for 7 guys (baker, young, Mathis, Harper, yeboah, Macconnell and Mulchay)...that’s not even 20 minutes per game for those 7 guys. And that is under the assumption that Kiss isn’t in the rotation .

Good to have depth. But you can’t play them al

And I think it may be Macconnell ...could be someone else. I have nothing against Caleb . I like his game for crying out loud .

But I think he could be the odd guys out .

But if it not him ...pick someone

Someone isn’t playing this year without injuries

I am positive Caleb won't be out of the rotation.

It also would seem to be a strange move for Pike to shorten his rotation this season when we are so deep to 8. He was giving Thiam and Kiss minutes last year even when they were both really struggling.

We are adding 3 perimeter players and losing Issa. Kiss and Issa were out of the roatation by the end of the season so you are adding 3 and losing none.

I am positive that Caleb will be in the rotation. You guys have no idea what a few scouts think of him.

Scouts?

Caleb may be a real good player for us. In my eyes there is still a lot for him to prove for me to see him as more than a 15 MPG guy.

Right now I see him as a guy who can make the “Issa 3”. Can he become a volume shooter and take and make a shot that is slightly contested?

Guys

I made the point in the middle of January when we struggle that our playing of too many players was really hurting getting into rythem and flow. Once we shorten the bench some...more winning followed

Don’t think it was a coincidence

I hear what you are saying ...”i like this guy, I like this guy”.....but the reality is without playing smaller ...we have 132 minutes (Gene isn’t playing less than 28 per game as a senior) ...for 7 guys (baker, young, Mathis, Harper, yeboah, Macconnell and Mulchay)...that’s not even 20 minutes per game for those 7 guys. And that is under the assumption that Kiss isn’t in the rotation .

Good to have depth. But you can’t play them al

And I think it may be Macconnell ...could be someone else. I have nothing against Caleb . I like his game for crying out loud .

But I think he could be the odd guys out .

But if it not him ...pick someone

Someone isn’t playing this year without injuries

In the beginning of January, I posted that the freshman and Carter deserve more playing time at the expense of Issa and Kiss. It wasn’t about shortening the bench, it was about less experienced players passing more experienced players on the court, and Pike letting RHJ, Montez, Caleb and Myles play more minutes. THAT is what made the difference in our season since the MD game, not shortening the bench.

This year the players that play will deserve it and the others will fight harder to get more playing time. No projections from me as I can’t see their off season development. But I can’t wait for this season to see it unfold.

Reactions: Wolv RU
We are adding 3 perimeter players and losing Issa. Kiss and Issa were out of the roatation by the end of the season so you are adding 3 and losing none.
Kiss still averaged 10/mpg over the last 5 games. And the game before that he played 20.

Does PSU really have the guards to finish top 25? They were playing NCAA level ball late in the year for sure but... guards

Bart moved us to #52 and added Paul M

Rutgers
Projected Contributors & Stats

PLAYER YR HT PRPG! MIN% ORTG USAGE PPG RPG APG
Geo Baker Jr 6-4 3 83 104 22 13.8 3.7 3.2
Montez Mathis So 6-4 2.2 73 100 22 12.3 3.8 1.5
Ron Harper Jr. So 6-6 2.4 65 109 18 9.1 3.8 1.3
Jacob Young Jr 6-2 2.7 63 110 21 10.2 3.2 1.4
Myles Johnson So 6-10 2.2 61 109 18 6.4 7.3 1.2
Akwasi Yeboah Sr 6-6 2.2 52 109 21 7.4 3.8 0.9
Caleb McConnell So 6-6 1.4 38 106 20 5.1 2.8 1
Peter Kiss Jr 6-5 1 33 105 19 4.4 2 0.7
Shaq Carter Sr 6-9 0.8 19 115 17 3 2.3 0.2

Paul Mulcahy Fr 6-6 0.3 12 100 18 1.7 1.8 0.4

Reactions: gregkoko
Bart moved us to #52 and added Paul M

Rutgers
Projected Contributors & Stats

PLAYER YR HT PRPG! MIN% ORTG USAGE PPG RPG APG
Geo Baker Jr 6-4 3 83 104 22 13.8 3.7 3.2
Montez Mathis So 6-4 2.2 73 100 22 12.3 3.8 1.5
Ron Harper Jr. So 6-6 2.4 65 109 18 9.1 3.8 1.3
Jacob Young Jr 6-2 2.7 63 110 21 10.2 3.2 1.4
Myles Johnson So 6-10 2.2 61 109 18 6.4 7.3 1.2
Akwasi Yeboah Sr 6-6 2.2 52 109 21 7.4 3.8 0.9
Caleb McConnell So 6-6 1.4 38 106 20 5.1 2.8 1
Peter Kiss Jr 6-5 1 33 105 19 4.4 2 0.7
Shaq Carter Sr 6-9 0.8 19 115 17 3 2.3 0.2

Paul Mulcahy Fr 6-6 0.3 12 100 18 1.7 1.8 0.4

Interesting take.

Leading scorers:
13.8 - Baker
12.3 - Mathis
10.2 - Young
9.1 - Harper Jr

Leading RBs:
7.3 - Johnson
3.8 - Mathis
3.8 - Harper
3.8 - Yeboah

I agree with the computers. Don't see any minutes for Doucoure based on what we saw in the preseason last year.

We're going to see minutes from Doucoure this year. Last year he was really the 4th option at center behind Doorson, Johnson, and Omoruyi.... now two of them have gone. Carter is a PF not a C... he didn't see any minutes at the 5 last year - when he was on the floor with Omoruyi he played the 4. We're going to have 15 min at the center spot to fill behind Johnson, and it's likely that Duke sees at least 10 of them.

Seems about right to me. I know Eugene is a loss, but not sure he is that big a loss to move us down much more than one win.

I hope you are right....the team will have a different offensive identity.

HOWEVER....we were terrible the 3 games Eugene was out last year. We have the depth on the perimeter, but we don't inside. Luke Nathan just got relevant.

I am not from Missouri (or it might be Kansas), but I now need to see a few players that I was hoping for production to actually produce. We are now asking 2 kids that for large parts of the year were out of the rotation to both be in it AND to be a post season caliber team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT