ADVERTISEMENT

How Bad is BC?

PSAL_Hoops

All American
Feb 18, 2008
Anyone else watch that game? They announced multiple times BC was missing their starting LT. Anyone know if he got hurt in our game and if so, at what point? That would be a huge loss for an already weak OL unit so to me it’s almost apples to oranges trying to compare them without their best option to protect the blindside.

Their defense looked solid to me - but then, maybe VTech just isn’t that good either. I don’t think that will be the case though. VTech beat themselves the previous week and looked like a team ready to turn things around.

Separate aside - VTech atmosphere looked awesome. Every seat filled. Imagine getting to a point where our fans fill the stands for a home opener following a loss to an OD type team…. Pretty impressive.

BC will be lucky to win more than 2 games this year, they are that bad. VT will be lucky to win 4 games this year.

Reactions: RUGuitarMan
Remember when our fans were lathering up Hadley as a great head coach?

EDITED-to add head. And also a thought--they may need a rebuild year or two to get the OL going again. It's a familiar theme. Jurkovec was quite upset last night and lashing out at his teammates.

Last edited:
Reactions: newell138
A lot of teams suck I guess. Anyone who loses a game sucks. I’m glad we won both of ours.

Tech has a great home tailgating area for students as I think we have seen here on this board. They let them have fun there.

Reactions: ScarletDave
Anyone else watch that game? They announced multiple times BC was missing their starting LT. Anyone know if he got hurt in our game and if so, at what point? That would be a huge loss for an already weak OL unit so to me it’s almost apples to oranges trying to compare them without their best option to protect the blindside.

Their defense looked solid to me - but then, maybe VTech just isn’t that good either. I don’t think that will be the case though. VTech beat themselves the previous week and looked like a team ready to turn things around.

Separate aside - VTech atmosphere looked awesome. Every seat filled. Imagine getting to a point where our fans fill the stands for a home opener following a loss to an OD type team…. Pretty impressive.

I recorded it and watched it on fast forward...(I had to edit my post, it was announced pregame. But at some pt the right tackle got hurt in the game and his replacement was absolutely awful too)

The BC Oline is absolutely atrocious. If it wasn't for Jurkovec and Zay Flowers they would be Ash era level bad on offense

One note after watching last night, we might need to pump the breaks on our Dline. The VA Tech defense was in the BC backfield almost every play too

EDITED-to add head. And also a thought--they may need a rebuild year or two to get the OL going again. It's a familiar theme. Jurkovec was quite upset last night and lashing out at his teammates.
He lost a great OL and the one returning great OL is out. We all know what that does to a team.

Reactions: Knight Shift

OC McNulty offense scored 10pts?

Shocked GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Here are the threads. If one thing, I am consistent in my replies. The song "Love the One Your With" comes to mind when I see such threads lovingly admiring coaches of other teams. Like the current infatuation with Leipold, and that he would have made RU into some world beater. I like Leipold, and he is a good coach. But his results at Buffalo were good one year, and otherwise middling. He is off to a great start at Kansas this year, but let's not extrapolate too far about beating a weak WVU that lost to PItt, that lost to Tennessee yesterday.

But I digressed. Hafley may indeed turn out to be a good coach. Looks like he will need another year or two to turn it around, if they give him the chance. By all of his interviews and what I have read about him, he seems like a good guy and may turn out to be a good head coach.

Soon they have Florida State, Louisville and Clemson in a row.

He was a heck of a recruiter for us
If I remember correctly, there were some here , at the time, who claimed Hafley wasn't a good DB coach but his recruiting is GREAT.
After Jeff left RU with Greg to Tampa and went to the Browns, Jeff started getting praise on this board for being a good DB Coach
Beginning of this year many were saying Hafley was a real good HC and his BC team was going t wipe RU's butt.
Now it seems his greatness has left the building and BC sucks under him.
One thing remains, he does recruit very well.

Not surprised…has an arrogance about him.

I will modify my post to include "head coach." But you are correct. Chris Ash was a fantastic DC and DB (defensive backs!!! 😉 ) coach.
We do not know that re: Ash. At OSU he was a "co-OC" with Fickell who.. well.. you know who Luke Fickell is now. Fickell was DC at OSU before Ash joined him. I think we gave Ash credit for Fickell's defense when we hired him. And as for Alvarez's recommendation.. he had hired Ash at Wisconsin and maybe he liked him as a person because he did not re-hire him as any kind of coach, never mind head coach... and he hired Bielema.

Reactions: RU at the shore
He screwed something up alright to be left with an Oline with practically zero college experience.

I'll take the win, but it was a mountian moving effort to win that game last week.

Will take much more to get us .500 in the B10 on any time line

Their OLine is God awful. Also we beat them up last week. Jurcovec had the yips after Hamilton destroyed him.

Reactions: shields

There were plenty of head doctors on the board.

bj GIF

He took over a bowl team and turned it into this.

Things change. VTech was picked 4 times against OD and fumbled. 5 turnover and 15 penalties resulted in that loss. On the road in an opener. Don’t know that VTech will be awful this season just yet. Let’s see. If its true Hafley was missing his best OL and DL player yesterday that’s a notable drop off in the trenches from what he had the week before.

Things change. VTech was picked 4 times against OD and fumbled. 5 turnover and 15 penalties resulted in that loss. On the road in an opener. Don’t know that VTech will be awful this season just yet. Let’s see. If its true Hafley was missing his best OL and DL player yesterday that’s a notable drop off in the trenches from what he had the week before.
They will be bad because of the trenches. Transfer portal is your friend.

Only time will tell. As always a victory over them in week one was too soon for fans to start making wild predictions and strutting around. Also, they might improve over the season--or get worse.

There were plenty of head doctors on the board.

bj GIF
Are we leaps and bounds over BC right now? A massive injury on their OL...and only two guys on BC's OLine with college experience yet we only squeaked out a win?

We're where we should be?

Odd.
Sad actually if that is the case.
Seems to be. Their blog's words:

The Boston College offense just looked desperately lost. Their #1 weakness was an inability to establish the run. Down after down, they would send Pat Garwo up the gut only to be met by Virginia Tech defensive linemen immediately. Garwo, their leading RB, was only able to put up 4 yards on the ground. FOUR! Their leading rusher for the game was Zay Flowers with a whopping 7 yards.

Phil Jurkovec also looked bad. Repeatedly, Jurkovec would laser in on his first read, throw wobbly passes, overthrow open receivers downfield, and make decisions 1 or 2 seconds too late. The offense cannot function at its full capacity if the QB is underperforming so drastically compared to the level we’ve seen him at before. Zay Flowers & company can get open all they want, but Jurkovec just hasn’t been able to deliver them the ball.

Are we leaps and bounds over BC right now? A massive injury on their OL...and only two guys on BC's OLine with college experience yet we only squeaked out a win?

We're where we should be?
And we didn't have our starting QB or RB along with the TE. Also, our best pass rusher is out for the season. It goes both ways. We made a ton of mistakes, and BC could not take advantage of them. We left two scoring opportunities on the field because of errors, so yes, we are leaps and bounds better.

Reactions: Wolv RU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT