ADVERTISEMENT

How concerned are you with the limited matches leading up to Big10s?

Absolutely concerned.

Anyone not concerned about the huge layoff, COVID pauses, lack of live experience, etc is lying to themselves. We've wrestled 4 matches in 2 months while most guys around the country had somewhere between 8-12 before their conference tournament. Our young guys especially are at a huge disadvantage.

It's a shame that we didn't really get to evaluate the team much. But I guess we saw enough for changes at 125 and 174. I still think Clark looked more exciting than Donner at 165. Donner is a tough kid, but you sort of know what we're getting with him. Clark looked promising against another freshmen stud at Purdue.

Would of liked to see what Jojo had. Seems like another wasted year with him. It was a free year and he didn't get a match in.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Maybe this was posted somewhere else, but Willie said Kanniard is out for Big Tens. They aren't replacing him with someone else so that likely means Covid related.

Maybe this was posted somewhere else, but Willie said Kanniard is out for Big Tens. They aren't replacing him with someone else so that likely means Covid related.

What a shit year. Definitely did not want this to happen.

So was he who was sent home from MD or is this another?

The great news keeps on coming...

Can it really be COVID related? If he tested positive, pretty much everyone in the room would need to be quarantined/isolated as well right?

Hoping for an at large bid.

Hard decision by the coaching staff, but I would replace Kannaird and see if someone could pull an upset and finish in the top 8(that person would get to 4 matches).

I am looking over who has qualified and who needs an at-large and really do not think he has a chance. The coaches poll has him 27th after the first poll(hard to see him move up, without wrestling in the tournament) There are 6 at larges available…. These guys need an at large and most likely all will get one over Kannaird- Van der Merwe #13, Hartman #15, Ruffin #17, Barton #25. That is 4 right there. The Big 12 only has 3 auto bids. They have these 6 guys going for 3 bids, Carr #2, Thomas #10, Franek #12, Sheets #13, Devos #18, Wright, #19. Any 3 of the Big12 guys are getting in ahead of him. That’s 7 without any upsets at the Big10 Tournament.

Hoping for an at large bid.
Having only 4 matches and being 1-3 probably doesn't help him very much even though his 3 loses were to top 9 opponents. He is currently sitting at 30 in the coaches ranking so he really doesn't have much leeway and I would think it's extremely unlikely he gets in unfortunately.

Reactions: Leonard23
Hard decision by the coaching staff, but I would replace Kannaird and see if someone could pull an upset and finish in the top 8(that person would get to 4 matches).

I am looking over who has qualified and who needs an at-large and really do not think he has a chance. The coaches poll has him 27th after the first poll(hard to see him move up, without wrestling in the tournament) There are 6 at larges available…. These guys need an at large and most likely all will get one over Kannaird- Van der Merwe #13, Hartman #15, Ruffin #17, Barton #25. That is 4 right there. The Big 12 only has 3 auto bids. They have these 6 guys going for 3 bids, Carr #2, Thomas #10, Franek #12, Sheets #13, Devos #18, Wright, #19. Any 3 of the Big12 guys are getting in ahead of him. That’s 7 without any upsets at the Big10 Tournament.
Yeah I don't see how he gets it. He's #30 in the 2nd coaches poll.

Reactions: MS-RU
Yeah I don't see how he gets it. He's #30 in the 2nd coaches poll.

Same things holds true for Janzer and Shawver. Neither has any shot of getting an at large if they don't get an AQ spot. Kanniards season is more than likely over unfortunately. Atleast he still has 4 years left.

This is again the downfall of only having 4 matches and not having a strong resume.

Sorry folks, don't have any other info, just passing along what Willie said on his podcast. He said 1) Kannaird isn't wrestling at Big Tens and 2) Rutgers isn't going to send another wrestler out in his place.

The great news keeps on coming...

Can it really be COVID related? If he tested positive, pretty much everyone in the room would need to be quarantined/isolated as well right?
It’s possible he could be close contact. I don’t think an at large bid is out of the question. Just gotta hope all the chalk comes through in the tournaments at 157.

It’s possible he could be close contact. I don’t think an at large bid is out of the question. Just gotta hope all the chalk comes through in the tournaments at 157.
There are already 7 guys ranked ahead of him that need one of the 6 at larges.

I watch basketball get kicked in the nuts, come here and get kicked in the nuts one more time for good measure. This Rutgers wrestling season has been nothing short of a sh*t show.

If not Santos, Clark, He was a state champ last year or even Angelo. It is a free year so let someone get experience, What is the rationale for leaving the spot open?

Totally. I would be disappointed with the staff if they dont throw a body in there. They can either give a senior a chance or evaluate youth.

Sorry folks, don't have any other info, just passing along what Willie said on his podcast. He said 1) Kannaird isn't wrestling at Big Tens and 2) Rutgers isn't going to send another wrestler out in his place.
I posted Friday night on the allocations thread that Kanniard should get a at large. Was expecting someone to catch that but no one did.

The only reason to leave the spot open, if someone is available to wrestle, is that Scott and the staff feel that Kinnard has a shot at an ALB.

Reactions: SCNJ and Leonard23
The only reason to leave the spot open, if someone is available to wrestle, is that Scott and the staff feel that Kinnard has a shot at an ALB.
That might have been the case prior to last weekend, but it seems extremely unlikely now. Out of the 33 spots, 16 already have been filled.

Filled:
ACC: 4
EIWA: 5
MAC: 4
PAC12: 2
SOCON: 1

Remaining AQs:
B1G: 8
BIG12: 3

That gives us 27 AQs and 6 at large bids remaining. Here are the guys currently ranked ahead of him in last coaches poll who have already wrestled and would need an at large:

#15-Hartman (Army)
#13-Van der Merwe (Stan)
#17-Ruffin (SIUE)
#25-Barton (Camp)

That leaves a minimum of 2 to a max of 4 bids remaining depending on how far Barton & Ruffin fall in the poll. With that being said, that is largely irrelevant though due to how deep the Big 12 is the coaches poll and they only have 3 AQ spots. They have 6 guys in the coaches poll and all ranked safely ahead of Kanniard. I would imagine all 6 of those guys would get in unless someone like Wright\DeVos\Wyatt have a horrendous tournament which causes them to fall out of the rankings, but at a minimum they are taking 2 at large spots.

#3 David Carr (ISU)
#11 Jared Franek (NDSU)
#12 Justin Thomas (Oklahoma)
#18 Jacob Wright (Wyoming)
#19 Cade DeVos (SDSU)
#21 Wyatt (OSU)

At this point there is either 0 - 2 depending on a TON of things working out in RU's favor and we haven't even talked about the BIG yet. If someone like Elijah Cleary sneaks into the top 8 at the tournament, he would jump Kanniard and depending on who fell out of the top 8 that person will more than likely get an large. Things would need to go absolutely perfect for him.

Moreover, I would imagine Kanniard doesn't have a strong enough resume (1-3) and #30 in the polls (plus no prior national tournament experience) to not wrestle in his respective conference tournament and still jump people who wrestled 3-4x more matches than him.

Is it impossible, no. Is it unlikely, yes. I would think there is a better chance of someone like Santos, Clark, etc. to get hot and crack the top 8 in the event someone injury defaults, etc.

Last edited:
That might have been the case prior to last weekend, but it seems extremely unlikely now. Out of the 33 spots, 16 already have been filled.

Filled:
ACC: 4
EIWA: 5
MAC: 4
PAC12: 2
SOCON: 1

Remaining AQs:
B1G: 8
BIG12: 3

That gives us 27 AQs and 6 at large bids remaining. Here are the guys currently ranked ahead of him in last coaches poll who have already wrestled and would need an at large:

#15-Hartman (Army)
#13-Van der Merwe (Stan)
#17-Ruffin (SIUE)
#25-Barton (Camp)

That leaves a minimum of 2 to a max of 4 bids remaining depending on how far Barton & Ruffin fall in the poll. With that being said, that is largely irrelevant though due to how deep the Big 12 is the coaches poll and they only have 3 AQ spots. They have 6 guys in the coaches poll and all ranked safely ahead of Kanniard. I would imagine all 6 of those guys would get in unless someone like Wright\DeVos\Wyatt have a horrendous tournament which causes them to fall out of the rankings, but at a minimum they are taking 2 at large spots.

#3 David Carr (ISU)
#11 Jared Franek (NDSU)
#12 Justin Thomas (Oklahoma)
#18 Jacob Wright (Wyoming)
#19 Cade DeVos (SDSU)
#21 Wyatt (OSU)

At this point there is either 0 - 2 depending on a TON of things working out in RU's favor and we haven't even talked about the BIG yet. If someone like Elijah Cleary sneaks into the top 8 at the tournament, he would jump Kanniard and depending on who fell out of the top 8 that person will more than likely get an large. Things would need to go absolutely perfect for him.

Moreover, I would imagine Kanniard doesn't have a strong enough resume (1-3) and #30 in the polls (plus no prior national tournament experience) to not wrestle in his respective conference tournament and still jump people who wrestled 3-4x more matches than him.

Is it impossible, no. Is it unlikely, yes. I would think there is a better chance of someone like Santos, Clark, etc. to get hot and crack the top 8 in the event someone injury defaults, etc.
Kanniard would need to stay in the top 33 and have Cleary place top 8 at 157. 157 has 9 guys ranked and Cleary is the 9th. He would need that to happen to even be considered for an at large

Theyve actual at large selection criteria and you've to meet 2 of the 7 catagories to even be considered.And Kanniard doesn't meet 6 or those currently. Only 1 he has is top 33 he needs Cleary to make NCAA to have have 2

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT