ADVERTISEMENT

How do you see this team finishing the season?

One bad season last year undid the good of the inaugural season. Nobody remembers that year. The off the field issues accentuated it all and all but undid all the Schiano years of very few issues and terrific APRs. And that bad season confirmed what so many critics felt when we first entered (regardless of that first season): we aren't B1G material.

So many teams cash in on the B1G mystique because they've been in for so long while we're newcomers. But Maryland? I don't understand. I think Rutgers is just not thought of well. That was changing under Schiano, but Flood did nothing to further that. In fact, we lost huge amounts of ground. We're not getting it back in a season no matter how well we perform on the field.

And if Vegas also thinks we're that bad and you all think we're that good, then make some bets. Nothing will soften the blow of disrespect as well as heavy cash in the pocket.
Perception is a b*tch. History to the critics is only important when it's to their advantage. Rutgers went bowling 9 of the last 11 seasons, but it doesn't matter. Rutgers first season in the B1G was a good one, but it doesn't matter. Rutgers has history as a losing program and the critic believe this based mainly off Shea's era. That one moment in time defines all of Rutgers history as a losing program. Meanwhile, Rutgers has an overall winning record since it started playing football in 1869. Perception is hard to overcome sometimes. You just have to slap around a few idiots to gain enough respect. Like the pimp said, "B, you better have my money." In this case teams better have my wins.[winking]

I see the team finishing stronger than it starts. Mostly because it will take a while for the team to come together in the new schemes, but a contributing factor is the second half schedule appears easier than the first (teams in most preseason top 25 are bold).

at Washington
Howard
New Mexico
Iowa
at Ohio State
Michigan

Illinois
at Minnesota
Indiana
at Michigan State
Penn State
at Maryland

If the team can remain competitive during the second quarter of the season (Iowa, tOSU, Michigan), there is a good chance RU will have strong finish to get back to a bowl game.

Good work analyzing the data. I gave you a like, but don't you think a band of 50 teams is kinda huge, to be only 60% confident?

(Obviously, I'm using the term incorrectly for simplicity)

Not sure what you mean by a band of 50 teams?

60% of teams finished in the 2014 Sagarin within 25 spots of where they finished in the 2013 Sagarin. That's 150 of 250 teams that didn't move dramatically up or down from year to year.

That leaves 100 teams that did move more than 25 spots, but of those, only 49 moved in a positive direction (so, 49/250 improved better than 25 spots, year to year). Of those 49, only 6 were ranked 93rd or better in 2013 before they made their big move.

Teams just don't make huge jumps year-to-year, on average. Some do, but they're a small percent. Most teams make relatively modest moves, year to year, up or down.

I'd have to research it, but I'd imagine the huge jumps are circumstantial.

Receivers other than Grant can't separate. One of the worst secondaries in the country. No experience at linebacker. Health questions on defensive line. No proven QB. Any people really think--objectively--that this team can win more than 4 or 5 games? The starting lineup is filled with either weaknesses or unproven players.

Receivers other than Grant can't separate. One of the worst secondaries in the country. No experience at linebacker. Health questions on defensive line. No proven QB. Any people really think--objectively--that this team can win more than 4 or 5 games? The starting lineup is filled with either weaknesses or unproven players.
Unproven players sometimes prove to be good ones.
Good ones help a team win.
Every team has weaknesses, some more than others, but a good coach can minimize the weaknesses his team has while maximizing strengths when making his game-day strategy.
Also some players weaknesses can be fixed and they turn into pretty good players
under the right coach.

If Ash is good ( even being a first time HC) RU might be able do better than 4-5 wins and show those who say over 5's a stretch that they were wrong .
Only a couple years ago , some experts said RU would be a 4-8 team at best
but by the end of regular season ( 1st B1G year) they were 7-5.
Then RU was a 3 point underdog in spread in their bowl game, but wound up 8-5 after beating NC in the QLB.

Two teams usually play this game. How come we only hear from Rutgers point of view? Football is about matchups. If you can give better evidence about the matchup, then your argument has more weight.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Two teams usually play this game. How come we only hear from Rutgers point of view? Football is about matchups. If you can give better evidence about the matchup, then your argument has more weight.
Some "fans" are so blinded by their negativity toward RU, they keep missing the point that this thread is about another team, not RU. Maryland lead the nation in turnovers last year. Watched BTN live yesterday from Maryland, and there are a LOT of parallels to what Durkn is doing there to change the culture and what Rutgers is doing. DiNardo seemed fascinated with how far they plan to spread the field in the spread.

Reactions: knightfan7
You guys need to stop taking everything so personally with all the preseason projections/rankings.

As for Maryland, I think the goal and expectation is 6 wins and a bowl, thanks in large part to an easy four game stretch to start to season, which many of you guys have alluded too. Our QB situation is the worst in the conference, but I think the new offense will at least mitigate a lot of the mistakes we saw last year. I fully expect Perry Hills to be the starter day one.

Our OL should be the most improved in conference and we have depth at the skill positions. Lots of young but very talented WRs and a few RBs who can take on the load included a Va Tech transfer. Our secondary is also going to be good as we now have JC Jackson, former Florida commit, starting opposite Likely.

Our clear weakness (other than QB) is going to be our front 7. We lost two of the best pass rushers in recent school history and our top LB as well. We're obviously all hoping that Durkin's defensive abilities will help, but I'd expect to see lots of different looks and movement.

Someone else mentioned it here but there are lots of advantages to "easing in" to your schedule, and I think that helps this MD team a lot. Regardless of level of opponent, a 4-0 start helps build confidence in teams, which well clearly need heading into conference play.

Good luck this year, but try to worry about yourselves more. You're only gonna piss yourself off when you think of how the media is perceiving you vs. other teams. Go out and prove them wrong.

Major improvements in mental focus/many less penalties, steady improvement and development throughout the season. Wins and losses - who knows.
Pretty much what I'm wishing for. Just a more competitive team in year 1 of the Ash era.

Unproven players sometimes prove to be good ones.
Good ones help a team win.

Quality depth is a major issue for the next season or two, thanks to the previous numbnut who was our head coach and recruiter, we can only pray that Ash coach's "up" enough to maybe squeak out 1 extra win. The question is does that get us to 3, 4 or 5, on the season? I think to 4, late, against PSU.

Still believe we will be better with the new schemes and tackling.
I believe we would have been better last year if the kids who ended up playing had had all of training camp to learn the schemes.

One of the worst secondaries in the country.
I disagree with that. If you look back at the discussion I've had with rubaseball, one of the key points last year is we threw kids in who weren't ready and had barely played the position. All things being equal, if we hadn't had the arrests, those kids would have got a bit of time in at special teams, and maybe would have seen the field late in the season as substitutes. Instead they got thrown to the wolves. I expect them to be much improved this year. Our DB's will not be a significant weakness on defense.

Reactions: rubaseball78
While i would place a bet on this team winning 4, maybe 5 games, it wouldn't shock me if they pull off 7 or 8. Besides LB, the starting lineup doesn't look bad on paper. Factor in a coach who seems to not be completely over his head and a new attitude, who knows? Now next season on the other hand........well that's when things look scary. At least there will be a freshman class worth excitement.

And if Vegas also thinks we're that bad and you all think we're that good, then make some bets. Nothing will soften the blow of disrespect as well as heavy cash in the pocket.
RU +27 vs Washington got it already. So do a bunch of my friends who bet. I clued them in, and they couldn't believe the spread. I don't bet much if at all anymore, but this one was just too appealing. Last I checked we were still a P5 team and UW was 7-6 last year, they may be better, but 28pts better no way in hell. I say don't believe the hype which is all they are at this point.

Quality depth is a major issue for the next season or two, thanks to the previous numbnut who was our head coach and recruiter, we can only pray that Ash coach's "up" enough to maybe squeak out 1 extra win. The question is does that get us to 3, 4 or 5, on the season? I think to 4, late, against PSU.
You could be right.
Before every season picking out the weaknesses and using them to show why it will be a bad year is far easier and realistic than saying the players coached up can provide the depth needed.
I think I read a AP article that pointed out RU's depth problem as a reason it won't have a winning season. So you can bring up the depth problem and only have my opinion ( without backing) countering that with the depth might not be as bad as seems if coaching can bring out all the talent the back-ups have and exceed whatever talent most people think the team has on a whole.

2 years ago I felt RU was better than most experts and a lot of RU fans thought and was proven right..
Last season felt the same (with most RU fans having higher expectations then the year before ) but , alas, those who felt a bad season in store for RU were proven right and I wound up eating crow over the season and my supporting an inept HC.
For the 2016 RU season I'll have faith Ash and his staff can find a way to bring out the best in this current team and that includes making the so-called depth problem ( that most knowledgeable fans think RU has) less of a hindrance to gaining the bowl bid I think this team is capable of and just say my optimistic outlook makes me feel a 4-5 win prediction is off the mark and I expect RU to be over .500 in the regular season , but won't claim the same in B1G play.

Seems like Rutgers fans are born pessimistic, but I was dropped on my head and turned optimistic when it comes to RU FB. :p

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
What team is this thread about?
Multiply choice:
A: the bad team that can't win more than 4-5
B: the good team that will be over .500
C: the ugly team you can't count on winning
In other words chose between these 3:
A:
MV5BMTMyODIxNjA0MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTI3NzEyMw@@._V1_UY100_CR15,0,100,100_AL_.jpg

B:
MV5BOTU5OTE0ODQ5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjI0MDg5MTE@._V1_UY100_CR15,0,100,100_AL_.jpg

C:
MV5BMTcwMDY2Nzg5MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjQ0NzEyMw@@._V1_UX100_CR0,0,100,100_AL_.jpg

Or F: OP intended
images

D:
images

is for what I felt after reading Nuts' post below

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT