ADVERTISEMENT

How far RU has come in a short period of time

Huge EO fan here.

I will say what I said before last season when we debated if we would nor wouldn't finish in last place of the B1G. I said at the time that if you went game by game, I couldn't tell you how RU would not finish last...but that I would take all bets that we wouldn't. And we didnt. Blind optimism? Maybe.

I call it faith in Pike. He will figure out how the team will be better. Just like he figured out losing Corey.

I definitely worry about losing some of the grit and the toughness of the team without Eugene. But very early on in the year many of us commented on how the ball movement absolutely stopped at times as he tried to do too much as "the man". That is not sour grapes. That is not revisionist history. That is simply the truth. If anything I think that some people are remembering him as a guy with no flaws. That is more revisionist history than some of the box scores being posted above.

This might be a cop-out but I am going to continue to take the approach I have taken from day one with our coach: I believe in this guy in such a big way that while I hate that we lost to Eugene the way that we did I am super confident that this team will take another major step forward this year. And I am excited to see us do it with a bunch of young players who have much more upside then the guy who left like a thief in the night.

Great post. Exactly how I feel.

Let’s move forward. IMO, Pike, Geo and these youngsters will lead us to the NCAAs.

Eugene is an elite player, next year is a rebuilding year.

I'm sorry but both statements are borderline crazy. Palmer on Nebraska was an elite player. Caleb Wesson is an elite player. Eugene was our most consistent front court player. That's it. He had some good games. The occasional great game. And some duds too. But he certainly couldn't take over a game. He shot just 41% from the floor in B1G play. Not good for your best low post threat. Harper and McConnell both shot higher from the floor. FWIW, we didn't have ANY elite players last year. This year we have 2 players who could be elite, Johnson and Harper. And once in a while Baker will appear to be elite but won't have the consistency to earn the label. Eugene is too limited to ever be "elite".

And next year is a rebuilding year? That would imply something had already been built, and has now fallen apart. While I won't try to guarantee we'll win more games, I am pretty confident we will be a better team from day 1 than we were last year. We have a TON more offensive capability this year.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Go ahead and post the boxscores when Eugene was hurt or after the Iowa game when he reaggrevated the injury.

We need to move ahead, but it angers me to see the sugar coating of the Omoruyi departure. I think we now have a little validation that Eugene didn't leave because he was afraid of playing time AND that Dana Altman and Oregon didn't think anything of him.

Eugene is an elite player, next year is a rebuilding year. 2020-21 is now my target of postseason chances.
how did i miss this.... hahahahahahahahahaha. A 6’5 PF with a limited skill set, cant guard big men, cant shoot the 3 and a bum knee is elite!?!? Hahahahahahaaha. Ive seen enough to sincerely know youre clueless now

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT