ADVERTISEMENT

HOW ON EARTH...are they pre-season #12??? (Seton Hall)

AreYouNUTS

Legend
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
Please someone, anyone, elaborate! Honestly I was stunned to see this. Thanks.

That's about where we finished last year and we lost our best player. There appears to be 12-13 real good teams in the B1G.

It comes down to Iowa, Indiana, Rutgers and Minnesota. You can easily argue RU is the best of the 4 AND you can easily argue they are the worst of the 4.

Low lying fruit is to stick Rutgers at the bottom.

Please someone, anyone, elaborate! Honestly I was stunned to see this. Thanks.

20-win team brings back nearly everyone including one of the top returning college scorers, and play in a less competitive conference... should definitely hit 23+ wins this year and win the BE.

Still think we match up well with them, get them at home, and always play them tough.. feel good about that game, atm.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
SHU is good. Reality, Good coach, good team, Powell and that foreign kid down low and that other good shooting guard who is only a sophomore. Difficult game for us even at the RAC. We can play with them but they are a legit top 20 team. #12 might be a little over rated but it could be right on the mark

Reactions: donnie_baseball
I am baffled by how this topic comes up, when RU has ranked teams littered all over their schedule.

The SHU is not a bowl game in football and it's not a game for an automatic bid to a playoff game.

The season will just be getting cranked up, right around the time early December gets here and RU has a bunch of improvement and milestones it needs to get to, before this game.

We have plenty of games to assess SHU over the length of the season, compare which league is better this season and other things like common opponents (Michigan State, Maryland etc).

I know the tri state area will be turning their focus towards RU, if we get off to a solid start and play good basketball. SHU should be ranked in the Top 20 at worse, they have a 1st team AA guard, who can take as many shots as he wants on their roster. Powell and Markus Howard at Marquette are two Big East players on the preseason AA 1st team.

The key game with a guard that is probably going to be higher on NBA draft boards, is our game at Pittsburgh vs Xavier Johnson. Johnson is a playmaking, power guard around 6'3", can get to the basket at will and is an impressive sophomore.

There are rumors that Johnson could leave Pitt after his sophomore season....we go to Pitt in game 1 of 4 games in December. While Powell is the 1st team AA, he's going to be taking and making shots all year long.

The fanbase needs to read and avoid this Seton Hall stuff....Pitt, then Michigan State and then Wisconsin at home are ALL important games.

I think a 12 ranking is high. Top 20 sounds right to me. SHU has a preseason all-American in Powell. It has twin towers who are 7'1" and 7'3" respectively. It has Mamu who is 6'10" and can hit 3s. . All three big men are extremely mobile and can block shots. It also has two good defenders in McNight and Cale. There's also an incoming freshman named Samuels who is athletic and can hit 3s. There are also two returning sophomores in Rhoden and Anthony who show promise.

Rutgers will be improved this year. Harper is a stud. Pyke is a good coach. I expect the RU-SHU game to be competitive. As we saw two years ago, RU will have a decent chance to win the game, especially with home court advantage.

I am baffled by how this topic comes up, when RU has ranked teams littered all over their schedule.

The SHU is not a bowl game in football and it's not a game for an automatic bid to a playoff game.

The season will just be getting cranked up, right around the time early December gets here and RU has a bunch of improvement and milestones it needs to get to, before this game.

We have plenty of games to assess SHU over the length of the season, compare which league is better this season and other things like common opponents (Michigan State, Maryland etc).

I know the tri state area will be turning their focus towards RU, if we get off to a solid start and play good basketball. SHU should be ranked in the Top 20 at worse, they have a 1st team AA guard, who can take as many shots as he wants on their roster. Powell and Markus Howard at Marquette are two Big East players on the preseason AA 1st team.

The key game with a guard that is probably going to be higher on NBA draft boards, is our game at Pittsburgh vs Xavier Johnson. Johnson is a playmaking, power guard around 6'3", can get to the basket at will and is an impressive sophomore.

There are rumors that Johnson could leave Pitt after his sophomore season....we go to Pitt in game 1 of 4 games in December. While Powell is the 1st team AA, he's going to be taking and making shots all year long.

The fanbase needs to read and avoid this Seton Hall stuff....Pitt, then Michigan State and then Wisconsin at home are ALL important games.

Tickets available for the Wisky game, ...,

Do you even know what Selection Sunday is?...lol

It's like Groundhog Day in Piscataway, i.e., the day we all crawl in a hole while the rest of the college bb world watches Selection Sunday.

But that's about to change!!!

When you look at Minnesota in the mirror you see Rutgers.

They bring in grad transfer Ailhan Demir http://www.barttorvik.com/playerstat.php?p=Alihan+Demir&t=Minnesota

They have a transfer from PITT http://www.barttorvik.com/playerstat.php?p=Marcus+Carr&t=Minnesota

Gabe Kalscheur and Geo Baker
Minnesota lost a lot more than Rutgers. All together, Minny lost 7 players from last year's roster. Three were starters, and two (Coffy & Murphy) will be hard to replace. People talk about Eugene for us is difficult to replace, but it's a killer for Minny. Coffy led Minny in points, assists, and minutes. Murphy was the heart and soul of the defense. He was their leading rebounder. Oturu was their leading shot-blocker. Minny has to replace something like 80% of their product (offense & defense). It's not to say the newcomers will be failures, but similar to our freshmen, it will take time to be consistent. You can't expect them to produce enough to forget those other guys.

Edit: just realize Oturu is back. Here's the boxscore from Minnesota's game against Iowa St.

acc809335f2f97eb44ba620eeaa5a798cb05a72f.jpeg

Last edited:
Minnesota lost a lot more than Rutgers. All together, Minny lost 7 players from last year's roster. Three were starters, and two (Coffy & Murphy) will be hard to replace. People talk about Eugene for us is difficult to replace, but it's a killer for Minny. Coffy led Minny in points, assists, and minutes. Murphy was the heart and soul of the defense. He was their leading rebounder. Oturu was their leading shot-blocker. Minny has to replace something like 80% of their product (offense & defense). It's not to say the newcomers will be failures, but similar to our freshmen, it will take time to be consistent. You can't expect them to produce enough to forget those other guys.

Edit: just realize Oturu is back. Here's the boxscore from Minnesota's game against Iowa St.

acc809335f2f97eb44ba620eeaa5a798cb05a72f.jpeg

Minnesota had 2 transfers in ready to start so the Curry injury isn't a huge loss for them.

Minnesota had 2 transfers in ready to start so the Curry injury isn't a huge loss for them.
That's kind of the point I've been making and so have other posters here. Our transfers get discounted as non-impact players, while other schools receive extra credit for bringing in transfers.

Reactions: RUDead
Northwestern had a grad transfer that was supposed to be a huge difference maker. He had a bad year....except for the game against us.

When you read reviews like this, it's hard to get a real feel for what to expect from your team compared to others. The bias tint is beyond silly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT