ADVERTISEMENT

How the hell did we win?

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
Holy crap! I was playing in a disc golf tourney in DE all day, so I taped it and was about to watch, but I did find out who won, inadvertently, after the game was over, as I get a couple of texts and wanted to at least see who they were from (in case there was anything up at home mostly - wife has been under the weather), and I accidentally saw the words "Big Road W" in one of the text notifications from our hoops group.

Fast forward to right now and I'm just getting around to checking the board and looked at the boxscore first and thought maybe Palmquist starting and no Caleb was a typo and then saw there was a thread on Caleb's back. How the hell did we win without our two best defensive players in Mag and Caleb? Nice to see Cam broke out, but aside from Cliff with 12, nobody else in double figures and we still won? W

Holy crap! I was playing in a disc golf tourney in DE all day, so I taped it and was about to watch, but I did find out who won, inadvertently, after the game was over, as I get a couple of texts and wanted to at least see who they were from (in case there was anything up at home mostly - wife has been under the weather), and I accidentally saw the words "Big Road W" in one of the text notifications from our hoops group.

Fast forward to right now and I'm just getting around to checking the board and looked at the boxscore first and thought maybe Palmquist starting and no Caleb was a typo and then saw there was a thread on Caleb's back. How the hell did we win without our two best defensive players in Mag and Caleb? Nice to see Cam broke out, but aside from Cliff with 12, nobody else in double figures and we still won? W
Wisconsin is not good, and slow. Very unusual for the Wisconsin program historically. That's how we won in a nutshell.

We outscored them, which I had been assured was impossible.

The only real way to find out exactly how we.played is to read the game thread from start-end :)

Was close all throughout. Every time we took a 4-7 point lead, we immediately gave it up and had to start over again. Cam was unconscious in the first half, Wisconsin is the worst team we’ve played since Minny (including a suddenly hot Nebraska doing the same thing they did this time last year), and Cliff earned his acclaim in the game’s last 15 seconds. Combination of two good defenses and two bad offenses.

If either team duplicated the first half in the second, it would have been a blowout.

Reactions: wheezer
Cliff's 3 point play was huge but I agreed with the announcers that it should not have counted. Glad the refs saw it differently but the gods who screwed us at osu kind of evened it out with that call.

Cliff's 3 point play was huge but I agreed with the announcers that it should not have counted. Glad the refs saw it differently but the gods who screwed us at osu kind of evened it out with that call.
Meh, they gave Wisky a bullshit 3 point play too. The refs may have been a little favorable today but nowhere near enough to even out Ohio State.

OMG, watching the game now and what a horrid start. PM TO, bad shot by Hyatt, and TO by Cam, while Hepburn made a trey and they got a FT - I assume it gets better, lol...

OMG, watching the game now and what a horrid start. PM TO, bad shot by Hyatt, and TO by Cam, while Hepburn made a trey and they got a FT - I assume it gets better, lol...
Wow! Cam with 3 straight treys! Yes, things did get better. Don't worry, not going to recreate the game thread here.

Did notice the graphic showing us holding teams to 39% FGs during 12 Mag games followed by giving up 51% FGs in the 3 games since then. Yeah, I guess we miss him, especially on defense, although today's 33% shooting by WI was much better by RU.

Wow! Cam with 3 straight treys! Yes, things did get better. Don't worry, not going to recreate the game thread here.

Did notice the graphic showing us holding teams to 39% FGs during 12 Mag games followed by giving up 51% FGs in the 3 games since then. Yeah, I guess we miss him, especially on defense, although today's 33% shooting by WI was much better by RU.
I kind of like that you basically started your own personal game thread here.

Spencer and Hyatt with our first 13 points and then a great drive and dish by Simpson to Dean for a nice bucket and the FT.

Most efficient first half offense of the season/held a slow team under 60

Gotta say, Cliff playing great defense so far, even if no points. Like Pike bringing Spencer back in with 2 fouls; good minutes from Reiber too and Oskar didn't really hurt us and did hit that big three. And how wasn't that a foul on Crowl for blocking when Paul hurt his shoulder?

Reactions: jrm75 and Rufaninga
Was close all throughout. Every time we took a 4-7 point lead, we immediately gave it up and had to start over again. Cam was unconscious in the first half, Wisconsin is the worst team we’ve played since Minny (including a suddenly hot Nebraska doing the same thing they did this time last year), and Cliff earned his acclaim in the game’s last 15 seconds. Combination of two good defenses and two bad offenses.
Wisconsin is very unimpressive. I hate to say it but the Rutgers team from a month ago would have beaten Wisconsin by 18-20 points.

I kind of like that you basically started your own personal game thread here.
Way less wailing and gnashing of teeth in a retrospective game thread, lol. I would've hurled a few epithets in the real game thread and whined a bit. None of that here.

Reactions: cm_13
Nebraska played a lot better than Wisconsin. They made us pay for allowing open shots, the Badgers did not. Clearly a 50/50 game. Glad we were able to hold them off but not sure I feel a lot better about the state of our team.

Wow, Cam with 19 points on 6-7 including 5-6 on treys (and 2-2 FTs) in the first half, including 9 points with 2 fouls - brilliant decision to not sit him for the rest of the half like Pike usually does with Cliff. His best game in forever in only one half.

Like a few said, every time we got a 4-5 point lead they'd close it up. And that assist by Reiber to Cliff for the dunk to put us up 7 with 2 minutes left was gorgeous. Holy crap, that was nice getting that basket by Cliff with 1:35 left on the continuation - thought it was a flop by Hepburn. Should've been up more than 2 at the half though - wonder if that will be a turning point, lol.

Wow, Cam with 19 points on 6-7 including 5-6 on treys (and 2-2 FTs) in the first half, including 9 points with 2 fouls - brilliant decision to not sit him for the rest of the half like Pike usually does with Cliff. His best game in forever in only one half.

Like a few said, every time we got a 4-5 point lead they'd close it up. And that assist by Reiber to Cliff for the dunk to put us up 7 with 2 minutes left was gorgeous. Holy crap, that was nice getting that basket by Cliff with 1:35 left on the continuation - thought it was a flop by Hepburn. Should've been up more than 2 at the half though - wonder if that will be a turning point, lol.
Reiber had several nice passes. If Cliff had converted…

Reactions: RU848789
Really short halftime. Paul finally scores! After Cliff misses a bunny. And then Cam misses a trey, but Cliff with a nice bucket off the pass from PM - and makes his 2nd 3-pt play of the game!

Much less pressing/trapping this game - hasn't been working that well and I assume that was also a response to being shorthanded and wanting to conserve energy.

After hot starts for both teams in the first half and the first 3-4 minutes of the second half, scoring went away for awhile. Wow, what a lob by PM for the DeanDunk!

Hepburn with some really dumb fouls. Cliff with 4 missed bunnies (including 2 dunks) through 32 minutes - somehow he just needs to convert those. Big trey by Cam and a great steal and layup by Paul. Up 5 with 8 left.

Am I crazy or did Spencer have two fouls early? He screamed the F word loud enough for whole arena to hear when Pike sat him. Then he was back out playing in 1st half with a ton of time left. Was he indeed playing with 2 fouls at that point?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT