ADVERTISEMENT

"Hurley would bring familiar problems to RU"

Facts are facts, no matter who presents them.

I think once Hurley is vetted, Hobbs will move on.

If the reports are correct and Hobbs is already talking to him or his people I think the search firm already completed the vetting process.

Last edited:
Well that's a stupid argument. The man is 41. If he comes here he wants to succeed and further his career. It's the coaches like sendek im worried about not giving a shit once they get here and just collecting their paycheck. His best years are definitely behind him. To argue that Hurley doesn't care about winning if he comes here at this young, hungry stage in his career is ludicrous.

So then show me the other incidents then, rather than blindly speculating.

I DIDN'T SAY HE WOULDN'T CARE ABOUT WINNING. I'M SAYING HE WOULD NOT TREAT THIS JOB DIFFERENT THAN ANY OTHER JOB. AND ANY OTHER COACH WOULD APPROACH THIS JOB THE SAME.

Saying Sendek would come here to collect a paycheck is asinine.

I DIDN'T SAY HE WOULDN'T CARE ABOUT WINNING. I'M SAYING HE WOULD NOT TREAT THIS JOB DIFFERENT THAN ANY OTHER JOB. AND ANY OTHER COACH WOULD APPROACH THIS JOB THE SAME.

Saying Sendek would come here to collect a paycheck is asinine.
Well he's sitting on his couch with nothing better to do right now. Schools aren't exactly knocking down his door to make "the great sendek hire"

Caps do not make your argument smarter.

Well he's sitting on his couch with nothing better to do right now. Schools aren't exactly knocking down his door to make "the great sendek hire"

Caps let you know I'm angry you quoted my post and countered a point that I didn't make but that you inferred - in order to make your point. That's all.

Hurley is not special.

Reactions: shields
Caps let you know I'm angry you quoted my post and countered a point that I didn't make but that you inferred - in order to make your point. That's all.

Hurley is not special.
Hurley is one of the few people with legitimate recruiting ties to the biggest schools in NJ...so I'd say he's pretty unique. It's why he is our #1 candidate.

Oh please..he's a good coach. We would be LUCKY to hire him. Thank goodness your pathetic opinion doesn't matter in all this

"Hurley ceaselessly acted like a wild man, like, well, Mike Rice. That he wasn’t ejected — he spent more time stomping and screaming at the officials than coaching — was a matter of either the refs’ extreme tolerance or their conditioned expectations from Hurley."

This is ok?

"At game’s end, the handshake line abruptly ended when Hurley apparently had something unkind to say to a St. Francis player. A hassle ensued until St. Francis’s gentlemanly coach, Glenn Braica, stepped in and sent Hurley away."

This is ok?

"But then on to Rhode Island, where it was reported that in a 2013 game at Fordham, Hurley was start-to-finish out of control, and “on multiple occasions in the second half after media timeouts or whistles, sprinted from his bench toward the Fordham sideline, attempting to provoke Fordham coach Tom Pecora.”
This is ok?

"This season, Hurley was in the focus of an ugly, strange brew near the end of a Maryland-Rhode Island holiday tournament game in Mexico.
Late in the game, he and Maryland coach Mark Turgeon were hit with technicals after hollering at each other, then, at game’s end, the handshake line ended with pushing and shoving between coaches as per claims Hurley had shaken hands while making derogatory comments to Maryland players"
This is ok?

This is the guy you want to coach Rutgers?

Although I could be wrong, I'm sure there are more incidents beyond the incidents in the column.

"Hurley ceaselessly acted like a wild man, like, well, Mike Rice. That he wasn’t ejected — he spent more time stomping and screaming at the officials than coaching — was a matter of either the refs’ extreme tolerance or their conditioned expectations from Hurley."

This is ok?

"At game’s end, the handshake line abruptly ended when Hurley apparently had something unkind to say to a St. Francis player. A hassle ensued until St. Francis’s gentlemanly coach, Glenn Braica, stepped in and sent Hurley away."

This is ok?

"But then on to Rhode Island, where it was reported that in a 2013 game at Fordham, Hurley was start-to-finish out of control, and “on multiple occasions in the second half after media timeouts or whistles, sprinted from his bench toward the Fordham sideline, attempting to provoke Fordham coach Tom Pecora.”
This is ok?

"This season, Hurley was in the focus of an ugly, strange brew near the end of a Maryland-Rhode Island holiday tournament game in Mexico.
Late in the game, he and Maryland coach Mark Turgeon were hit with technicals after hollering at each other, then, at game’s end, the handshake line ended with pushing and shoving between coaches as per claims Hurley had shaken hands while making derogatory comments to Maryland players"
This is ok?

Although I could be wrong, I'm sure there are more incidents beyond the incidents in the column.
Claims...yea nobody cared about these claims. I don't care if he was mean to opposing players cause he was heated up. I don't care if he was mean to coaches. I won't care until he gets T'ed up and then I'll mildly care. I'm sure Hobbs will go over these things but all that matters is winning. I don't need some coach who is nice to everyone. We just had that in Jordan and he couldn't recruit worth a damn.

Reactions: Jim_from_RU
At game’s end, the handshake line abruptly ended when Hurley apparently had something unkind to say to a St. Francis player

Omg! The horror! Lock the man up!

Reactions: Jim_from_RU

Schools don't appear to be knocking down Hurley's door, either. The fact is, we don't know about either guy.

Schools don't appear to be knocking down Hurley's door, either. The fact is, we don't know about either guy.
One man is 41 on his way up. The other man is 53 on his way down. One man is getting four stars to rhode island. The other man struggled in his last 4 years to get good recruits to ASU, a team that makes the tourney often. In one year, who will have the schools knocking on their door? Especially after Hurley has a strong year with his star players coming back? At that point, it's too late for RU to get him.

You can be intense but don't act like an ass and Hurley has several cases that he acts that way.
What is an ass? Getting fired up? Like I said, we need someone with passion or they will not survive here. I don't care if he told the Maryland players they ate a bag of D***s

While walking together this morning, my neigboor who went to school wiyh Dan Hurley's father and knows Dan as well told me that he is very concerned that Rutgers will make the huge mistake of hiring him. He would become a Mike Rice-like disaster since he never was able to control his temper and he has a long history of mistreating people. .

Reactions: Tango Two
Tango, get your head out of your ass.
that's uncalled for.

Tango is only worried like myself and anyone who is all too aware of what bad headlines can do to you, especially when colleges and their activist student bodies are mobilized. (I'm speaking to the alleged use of "f-g-t" and just general immaturity). Mushnick might find a way to do it himself. It makes a great meme that Rutgers could make the same mistake yet again.

I do think that Hobbs is too smart to not have done his due diligence on this, but let's see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
One man is 41 on his way up. The other man is 53 on his way down. In one year, who will have the schools knocking on their door? Especially after Hurley has a strong year with his star players coming back? At that point, it's too late for RU to get him.
Ummm, that doesn't address the question in the slightest. After his big year last year, it didn't seem to garner Hurley much in the way of offers. Now that he has had a mediocre year, you think more people are at his door? You could just as easily say, "One man is 53 with strong success in P5 conferences. One man is 41 with modest success at lower conferences."

To me, the problem is not whether Hurley will work hard; he is driven. The problem is whether he can keep it all under control. The issue with Sendek is whether the drive is still there. But there is no question he can build a successful organization and do things the right way. Lonergan seems to have it all, but who knows if he will come here.

This is ok?

This is ok?

This is ok?

This is ok?

Yes - I am fine with it. I really don't care. I want Hurley to coach at Rutgers.

Ash can, you do know Sendek has won over 400 games in his career and State went to 5 straight tourneys. Is a good coach, and maybe is very picky of what job he wants. Hope hurley does well but to compare them is silly.

At game’s end, the handshake line abruptly ended when Hurley apparently had something unkind to say to a St. Francis player

Omg! The horror! Lock the man up!
Are any of his players coming to his defense? It's the risk vs reward analysis. I don't think it's a a good move.

Are any of his players coming to his defense? It's the risk vs reward analysis. I don't think it's a a good move.
What is the risk? He embarrasses our program? Newsflash...that's no longer possible unless our coach goes into the night and drinks the blood of babies.

Fun fact. Hurley went 17-15 this year without his two star players.

In 10 of those losses, the point differential was 5 points or less.

Here's a fun fact, you made out with your sister.

No but really you can't argue Hurley is a better coach than him. But this is not an either or scenario. Nor am I saying Hurley can't be successful. By the way 53 is not old when it comes to coaching.

Here's a fun fact, you made out with your sister.

No but really you can't argue Hurley is a better coach than him. But this is not an either or scenario. Nor am I saying Hurley can't be successful. By the way 53 is not old when it comes to coaching.
Well was she hot at least? Only child here btw. Fwiw I thought it was a good fact nobody had brought up yet so I didn't see any harm in posting it.
Now you guys want to talk about moral victories?
In a season where he loses two guys equal to or better than Sanders? Yes..I am not the type to be blind to the circumstances a coach has to deal with.

Reactions: RUsojo
Ashcan, you have 200 posts. Starting to think you are related to Hurley. Yes, we lost 3 frontcourt players. Did any of you read the Fat Cat with Daniels? Had interesting thoughts.

Ashcan, maybe you are not on Round table. Daniels comments were interesting, but not sure you are on Round table. Daniels mentioned size on the Round table.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT