ADVERTISEMENT

"Hurley would bring familiar problems to RU"

Ashcan, maybe you are not on Round table. Daniels comments were interesting, but not sure you are on Round table. Daniels mentioned size on the Round table.
Shields. This is how a robot talks. I am a robot. That is all. 01000110.

One if the players he lost is a talked about NBA talent. That kind of talent plays in any conference.

If you're gonna make that argument then explain all the mid majors coaches who have come up and had success. There's plenty of them.

Last edited:
Anyone who quotes Rutgers-hater Phil Mushnick for anything isn't worthy of being taken seriously.
It doesnt matter what we think of mushnick.....he still gets a level of attention that would lead to casuals and critics taking this story and running with it.

as ive said, if he gets hired, then anyone claims Hurley called anyone a "f-g", this is a fiasco.

No one had any interest in firing mike rice for his sideline demeanor. Hundreds of cbb coaches are equally intense. Not an issue.

Thriwing basketballs at players heads thats an issue.

Reactions: AshCatchEm
It doesnt matter what we think of mushnick.....he still gets a level of attention that would lead to casuals and critics taking this story and running with it.

as ive said, if he gets hired, then anyone claims Hurley called anyone a "f-g", this is a fiasco.
Again...claims. Who cares? Show me where he did it. Anyone can claim anything in today's age. We could hire sendek and I could claim he's a freaking vampire.

Reactions: bac2therac
Someone should ask Gil Birtuta about Hurley being a Rice like "madman".

He has played in H.S. and Rhode Island for Hurley and seemed OK

Could Crazy Danny be more low key during pratice?

I for one like passion in a coach

Reactions: pigmasty83
No one had any interest in firing mike rice for his sideline demeanor. Hundreds of cbb coaches are equally intense. Not an issue.

Thriwing basketballs at players heads thats an issue.

I am not worried about a coach's intensity,but im very worried that someone may have claimed that he used a derogatory term associated with gays. to be honest, i dont even care about that....i care about the public reaction to that in 2016.

you don't think there are any other coaches available with less baggage?
That could recruit NJ as well as Hurley? Definitely not. The grand total of baggage he is carrying is at most 1 carry on.

Again..we cannot go down any further. We are literally the worst NCAA basketball program that there is. What image do we have to hurt? We are a complete and utter joke.

Reactions: bac2therac
you don't think there are any other coaches available with less baggage?
I'm not sure this qualifies as baggage, but there are lots of other coaches who don't yell at people. Are they the best people for the RU job? I have no idea. I asked Carino on Twitter if he thought Hurley's demeanor and/or behavior would be an issue in any way and he said absolutely not. Put whatever weight on that you wish.

I'm not sure this qualifies as baggage, but there are lots of other coaches who don't yell at people. Are they the best people for the RU job? I have no idea. I asked Carino on Twitter if he thought Hurley's demeanor and/or behavior would be an issue in any way and he said absolutely not. Put whatever weight on that you wish.
The media in NJ loves Hurley. That is a BIG first step and should not be overlooked.

Reactions: RUKeystone

proof...just like I asked the other guy who said this, bottom line is there is none and the story had no legs

It's not an issue if we didn't have the history already.
So how is it more of an issue now? What can be said about us that hasn't been said already? Are they gonna shut down our program cause our coach was intense? No. If Hurley isn't physically abusing our kids and he isn't calling them f****ts then he can be as much of an asshole as he wants. The stories you showed me were other teams players not liking him, not his own.

LOL

It will certainly give him something to write about when it does happen.

I am more concerned about his actual accomplishments that calling someone names.

He is lacking what matters most.

I am more concerned about his actual accomplishments that calling someone names.

He is lacking what matters most.
Winning? But he's done that. 23 wins in year 3 of a complete rebuild where he started with 8 players is impressive. 17-15 in a year he loses his two star players is impressive, especially where their team was within 5 points in 10 of those losses. They played hard and were in it to the end. I want a team who fights that way.

Well that's a stupid argument. The man is 41. If he comes here he wants to succeed and further his career. It's the coaches like sendek im worried about not giving a shit once they get here and just collecting their paycheck. His best years are definitely behind him. To argue that Hurley doesn't care about winning if he comes here at this young, hungry stage in his career is ludicrous.

So then show me the other incidents then, rather than blindly speculating.

Guess what? All of that bullshit is OK if he wins and he recruits. I couldn't care less.
It's only ok if he WINS.

There is a difference.

If Hurley is hired, will someone write an article about his behavior as it relates to Mike Rice? Probably. If Danny Hurley is hired, might he do something that becomes a story for a news cycle? Probably. Is Hurley's sideline behavior a factor in this decision? I don't know, but I don't think so. Either way I will trust Pat Hobbs to hire the best coach for RU hoops - both on and off the court.

If Hurley is hired, will someone write an article about his behavior as it relates to Mike Rice? Probably. If Danny Hurley is hired, might he do something that becomes a story for a news cycle? Probably. Is Hurley's sideline behavior a factor in this decision? I don't know, but I don't think so. Either way I will trust Pat Hobbs to hire the best coach for RU hoops - both on and off the court.
I wonder if there will be one of these in the RAC...

It's only ok if he WINS.

There is a difference.
But to be fair, if he doesn't win, what does it matter? There is no nicer guy than Eddie Jordan and the press and fanbase were killing him this year too. The goal here is to win. Looking around the country there are different ways to accomplish this. And I advocating win at all costs? Absolutely not. Do I personally feel that Hurley's behavior is an actual issue? No I don't. Others may disagree. We all want the same thing. I'll put my faith in Pat Hobbs to make the correct choice, because a) my gut says to trust him and b) I really have no other choice. I'm not getting any younger.

So how is it more of an issue now? What can be said about us that hasn't been said already? Are they gonna shut down our program cause our coach was intense? No. If Hurley isn't physically abusing our kids and he isn't calling them f****ts then he can be as much of an asshole as he wants. The stories you showed me were other teams players not liking him, not his own.
If the stories are not true, then it's not an issue. I trust Hobbs to do his diligence. But you have to agree that it will be worst if we hire him and the stories are true. Our state school doesn't have the support like other state schools. We finally got some help from Trenton but that can turn in a hurry.

But to be fair, if he doesn't win, what does it matter? There is no nicer guy than Eddie Jordan and the press and fanbase were killing him this year too. The goal here is to win. Looking around the country there are different ways to accomplish this. And I advocating win at all costs? Absolutely not. Do I personally feel that Hurley's behavior is an actual issue? No I don't. Others may disagree. We all want the same thing. I'll put my faith in Pat Hobbs to make the correct choice, because a) my gut says to trust him and b) I really have no other choice. I'm not getting any younger.
No, the goal is to WIN. Actually it's to WIN. And again, there is a difference.

Absent of that all of the other "stuff" gets magnified.

If the stories are not true, then it's not an issue. I trust Hobbs to do his diligence. But you have to agree that it will be worst if we hire him and the stories are true. Our state school doesn't have the support like other state schools. We finally got some help from Trenton but that can turn in a hurry.
How are they going to prove the stories are true? The stories are history. What is in the past is in the past. These are not hidden incidents coming to light. Everyone can read the same thing.

How are they going to prove the stories are true? The stories are history. What is in the past is in the past. These are not hidden incidents coming to light. Everyone can read the same thing.
It's Rutgers, that's how.

Any Maryland player that decides to tell the media he said "f-g-t" would be taken seriously (and they absolutely will be asked about it on or off the record by beat writers).....and you never know if someone has a video angle that isn't public. I'm not one who buys into the media conspiracy theories about sports teams, but I do know that special interests will go out of their way to get to the bottom of whether a highly-paid public employee used a slur , if only because they were turned onto it by Mushnick, who is a provocateur of many demographics,

Last edited:
Someone should ask Gil Birtuta about Hurley being a Rice like "madman".

He has played in H.S. and Rhode Island for Hurley and seemed OK

Could Crazy Danny be more low key during pratice?

I for one like passion in a coach

Perfect.

No, the goal is to WIN. Actually it's to WIN. And again, there is a difference.

Absent of that all of the other "stuff" gets magnified.
I agree with you. But if Hurley, or anyone else gives us the best chance to win, don't we need to accept any other noise that comes with it? This program will not win if it is scared to take some chances in trying to win.

I agree with you. But if Hurley, or anyone else gives us the best chance to win, don't we need to accept any other noise that comes with it? This program will not win if it is scared to take some chances in trying to win.
Again, that is fine IF he wins.

And maybe around here with our woeful past, a guy who just wins might be enough. We'll soon see.

Any Maryland player that decides to tell the media he said "f-g-t" would be taken seriously (and they absolutely will be asked about it on or off the record by beat writers).....and you never know if someone has a video angle that isn't public. I'm not one who buys into the media conspiracy theories about sports teams, but I do know that special interests will go out of their way to get to the bottom of whether a highly-paid public employee used a slur , if only because they were turned onto it by Mushnick, who is a provocateur of many demographics,
This isn't some incident that's hidden. It's out there. And nothing occurred from it. Are we gonna hide from any coach who has ever had one thing negative written about him? What about all the articles calling for sender to be fired?

Ashcan, talking about size. You did not see that quote.
Just say the quote then or link it. I have premium but context would help.

"Did you see that one thing written one time someplace on premium? Ohhhh I'm just gonna keep talking cryptically about it then."

Fascinating.

after reading all this thread...I tend to agree with ASHcatch[thumb2]

hey...If Mike Rice had just been testy & not crossed the line...I think we would be in MUCH better shape today

IF Hurley is indeed animated I would much rather see that than the virtual coma EJ seemed stuck in(sorry EJ)
:cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2:

Anyone who quotes Rutgers-hater Phil Mushnick for anything isn't worthy of being taken seriously.
To Mushnick "truth" and "facts" are like wire coathangers- things to be bent and twisted into whatever shape suits his purpose. All the scorn and abuse this board has ever heaped on Politi, this guy deserves tenfold.

So now we have to avoid any guy who gets fired up? Fire is what we need. I'm sure Hobbs will be very hands on with this program and monitor it. We just fired the calmest coach in America in Jordan. Guess what? He realllly didn't do well, and his lack of passion convinced no big-time recruits to come here

Hurley convinced 4 stars to go to Rhode island and they have MAJOR roles on their team with major production.

Corey Sanders?

1 guy doesn't make a basketball team. hit jucos and transfers hard past that.

Hes only had three years. Etou was not a bad recruit, based on skill level. Laurent was not a bad recruit. Sanders is all time. Jordan is the past, but still, his recruiting classes had some decency to them.

Reactions: RutgHoops
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT