ADVERTISEMENT

Hyatts “drives” to the tin…

SBP

All Conference
Feb 5, 2003
Almost always end with him throwing up a prayer that rarely fall…It’s his MO. Tonight he had a couple clear layups he just threw up hoping to get fouled. Not a strong finisher.

game of thrones khaleesi GIF

Almost always end with him throwing up a prayer that rarely fall…It’s his MO. Tonight he had a couple clear layups he just threw up hoping to get fouled. Not a strong finisher.
The more he drives the more we lose, but Pike has always allowed players to do what they can't do - one of the reasons he's just an average coach.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
The more he drives the more we lose, but Pike has always allowed players to do what they can't do - one of the reasons he's just an average coach.
All coaches allow it, not just RU coaches. Coaches dictate PT but let the players plays only hoping for better team play than the opponent. Have you noticed Simpson often runs out the entire last possession of the first half chucking hot garbage. You’d think Pike would put a stop to that but this isn’t 1985.

95 % of success is recruiting.

All coaches allow it, not just RU coaches. Coaches dictate PT but let the players plays only hoping for better team play than the opponent. Have you noticed Simpson often runs out the entire last possession of the first half chucking hot garbage. You’d think Pike would put a stop to that but this isn’t 1985.

95 % of success is recruiting.
I agree about the recruiting, but really good coaches don't allow players to do what they can't do. That's much of what makes them good.

95 % of success is recruiting
You just can’t help yourself can you
No, I've never had much of a filter.

Love how the last 4 games all was well and now all of the sudden the ship has crashed.

Tough winning 5 in a row with 3 being on the road.
Williams masked a ton of deficiencies. For some inexplicable reason, we still don't box out, we still attempt layups without facing (or even looking at) the rim, and we still shoot threes with time available to run an offense. Pike can motivate kids to play defense, but I cannot understand we he doesn't fix these EASILY fixable flaws. It's been years, so I'm not gonna hold my breath waiting (although, we did stop running the three-man weave at the top of the circle).

To me, this is one of the main reasons for so many missed layups... too much concern about drawing contact or avoiding it. Focus on goal #1... scoring the ball. The "and 1" will take care of itself.

Another thing I wish they'd do more is use the damn backboard. I feel like the guys sometimes make shots harder than they need to be

Reactions: goru7
Poor recruiting results in players not performing up to fan expectations.We all know the team flaws and hopefully some of them will be corrected with next seasons freshmen class.Missing so many layups is unacceptable and should be corrected through coaching and watching film.

Reactions: RUDeac
Love how the last 4 games all was well and now all of the sudden the ship has crashed.

So many posters have zero understanding that a game is 40 minutes and seasons are 30+ games. Impossible to explain to them when their panties are constantly in a bunch.

Reactions: shields
Hyatt should almost never put the ball on the deck and try to get downhill in traffic. It’s just not his game.

Reactions: Kbee3 and tm_nj
Hyatt is our best scoring opportunity - amazed how this board targets him negatively
The problem isn’t him taking shots. It’s the TYPE of shot we’re criticizing.

He needs to understand what works for him (spot-up threes and occasional post moves) and what doesn’t (putting the ball on the deck and dribble driving in traffic).

He’s getting negativity after this game because he didn’t take good shots for the most part.

Reactions: SBP

Is it really that different?
People were talking about beating UConn in a 8/9 match up at Barclay.
Someone even said JWill could lead us on a run and play himself into a 1st round draft pick.

That's no different than the "season is over" posts.

He is not the only one. Too often we get nothing on fast breaks. Players need to at times stop, let defense fly by and take short shot rather than throwing up a prayer at the rim hoping for a foul. Simpson has done this a few times.

Reactions: rutobs
He is not the only one. Too often we get nothing on fast breaks. Players need to at times stop, let defense fly by and take short shot rather than throwing up a prayer at the rim hoping for a foul. Simpson has done this a few times.
I want to like this 100 times. Maybe even head and shoulder fake at the basket now and then.

I’d prefer for Hyatt to launch half court shots than taking it to the basket. 🤔😂

Actually I thought one turning point in the Minnesota game ( of many) was when we were up 27-22 or 29-22 late in H1

Hyatt wasn’t very involved in the offense at that point and I recall him hoisting a very ill advised 3 pointer - with the clear theme “ I gotta get my shots / points “

And then on our next possession , if I recall, another ill advised shot occurred - not by Hyatt mind you

Well anyways it wasn’t the offense that did us in but rather a weak / sub par defensive effort by the team.

It happens ! Asking too much for the defense to be elite every game.

JD did this the other night. First guy went flying by and a second guy coming blocked the layup. They just have no idea how to use their bodies to help shield and finish strong.

Reactions: rubaseball78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT