ADVERTISEMENT

I caught a couple of innings of the baseball inter squads scrimmage

80RU

All Conference
Gold Member
Feb 1, 2011
The baseball team scrimmaged just after the basketball team played on Saturday. In the limited sample I saw, some of the newcomers looked really good. Nick Tomasetto made a fantastic play in the field, and also bounced a ball over the fence. RJ Johnson hit a home run and looks really strong. The coaches have not announced a weekend rotation to the team from what I was told. The speculation among the people there was that Sinibaldi would join Coppola as weekend starters. They seemed to think that the third weekend starter would be either Marshall or Zach Konstantinovsky. That made sense since those two were the ones who started as pitchers in the scrimmage. It seems that there will be more depth on this team than on any team since the start of the Owens Renaissance. One quirk is that almost all of the outfielders are lefties, and almost all of the infielders are righties. I wish I had known about the scrimmage, I would’ve planned my day to see more of it. I am looking forward to catching some games this year.

Nice 80RU
Hey…. You failed to respond my post about the importance of getting Santa Maria back into the heart of the lineup.😊
Also, Grad transfer Volpe is a hell of a player who’ll do nothing but contribute to wins in every faze of the game.
Dude started SS as a frosh with Rider at went errorless for the year
Great contact hitter as well.
Zach is going to have to show me his stuff is good enough to get major college hitters out without walking anyone.

Last edited:
Nice 80RU
Hey…. You failed to respond my post about the importance of getting Santa Maria back into the heart of the lineup.😊
Also, Grad transfer Volpe is a hell of a player who’ll do nothing but contribute to wins in every faze of the game.
Zach is going to have to show me his stuff is good enough to get major college hitters out without walking anyone.
Sorry if I forgot to respond – – but he has always looked pretty damn good to my untrained eye. On the play by that freshman, it wasn’t so much his dive to stop the ball, but how quick he got from flat on the ground to back on his feet and letting the ball go that took me by surprise.

So they have the starters at first second and short coming back and Santa Maria moving in for Brito — but then they have the big freshman from Canada at first; that freshman, the guy from Rider and Pedro (last name?) in the middle; and a big guy named Pinkney (no relation to the catcher), who red shirted last year at third. Pinkney lined a double to the opposite field over the fence on a bounce when I was there. I guess it’s a nice problem to have, but I don’t know how the staff is going to get everybody involved.

Like I said, I wish I could’ve stayed for more of the scrimmage because it was very interesting to watch. Also, Ryan Lasko was there working with the team and he is supposed to takeoff for Arizona shortly.

Nice 80RU
Update – – you will get your chance to see on Sunday. ZackKonstantinovsky Has been named the Sunday starter. As always, we appreciate the insights you give us on the board and I would love to hear your evaluation after Sunday’s game.

Reactions: zappaa
Update – – you will get your chance to see on Sunday. ZackKonstantinovsky Has been named the Sunday starter. As always, we appreciate the insights you give us on the board and I would love to hear your evaluation after Sunday’s game.
I’ll be watching his stat line.
Walk/strikeouts and hits vs innings pitched… you can have all your analytics, those are the numbers that count…imo.
It’s no different than sitting in the stands at SHI Stadium, turning to the guy next to you and with confidence tell him our QB is going to take us 80 yards…I don’t need to see a single stat, just a damn good reason to believe it.
It will be interesting to see if senior grad transfer Johnny Volpe starts over Cameron Love…. Or perhaps the slight possibility he gets the nod at SS and they return Kuroda-Grauer back to 2nd base.
Not sure about Pickney defensively, catcher is a position where you’ll never drive in enough runs to make up for poor defense

One at-a time…. Let’s win tomorrow

Last edited:
Walk/strikeouts and hits vs innings pitched… you can have all your analytics, those are the numbers that count…imo.
It’s no different than sitting in the stands at SHI Stadium, turning to the guy next to you and with confidence tell him our QB is going to take us 80 yards…I don’t need to see a single stat, just a damn good reason to believe it.
It will be interesting to see if senior grad transfer Johnny Volpe starts over Cameron Love…. Or perhaps the slight possibility he gets the nod at SS and they return Kuroda-Grauer back to 2nd base.
Not sure about Pickney defensively, catcher is a position where you’ll never drive in enough runs to make up for poor defense

One at-a time…. Let’s win today
I can’t watch tomorrow or Saturday, but I will watch on BTN plus on Sunday.

One at-a time…. Let’s win tomorrow
My mistake. BTN plus will not be carrying this. Apparently, there is no video feed at all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT