ADVERTISEMENT

I take it as a sign the team is significantly improved when

Oct 24, 2007
The forums are not littered with individual threads about how bad coaches and players were on game day and how we as Rutgers fans have all of the answers.

I can't recall a time that in the days following or leading up to a game that we have more threads about former players or recruits than we do the current.

I take this as a positive, a moment of quiet optimism. Here's to hoping it continues.

Game one went okay. We played well. But I don't think it is a definitive sign that we are good. People overreacted after the Iowa game last year too. Washington traveled cross country and it was their first game too. They could've just played like crap like Miami did against the Ryan Hart team. Or we could be improved. Or it could be a little bit of both. I don't agree that a 16 point loss means our program is back on track. But I think not getting embarrassed is a step in the right direction.

Game one went okay. We played well. But I don't think it is a definitive sign that we are good. People overreacted after the Iowa game last year too. Washington traveled cross country and it was their first game too. They could've just played like crap like Miami did against the Ryan Hart team. Or we could be improved. Or it could be a little bit of both. I don't agree that a 16 point loss means our program is back on track. But I think not getting embarrassed is a step in the right direction.
Tend to agree, and want to see how we do against Nebraska.
Couple of things. If we do badly against EMU, then maybe we just had a bad game, and we can't let one game define the season. We could improve as the season progresses.
But a lot of RU fans have an extra spring in their step after UW. It's a little soon for that.

Couple of things. If we do badly against EMU, then maybe we just had a bad game, and we can't let one game define the season. We could improve as the season progresses.
But a lot of RU fans have an extra spring in their step after UW. It's a little soon for that.

UW could have just been off that day since it was the 1st game and all, but we still looked a lot better, maybe not winning the east better, but better than last year.

UW could have just been off that day since it was the 1st game and all, but we still looked a lot better, maybe not winning the east better, but better than last year.
Considering after the Iowa game, RU looked mostly like this:
200.gif
, agreed.

Well here's the thing, Washington played a clean game. No major breakdowns on D, you didn't see WR wide open for deep shots ala Maryland versus Texas. No huge gains in the run game. Special teams they played just about perfect two punts downed inside the two, a kickoff downed at the 6. Field goals and xtra points they were perfect, had a run back for TD. On offense no turnovers and their QB threw for big plays and 286 yds.

So how did they play like crap? Put that stat line on any team playing last week and you'd say that they had a pretty good game. But since they played against Rutgers, it's well maybe they didn't play so great. I don't get it, we're the one's who made all the mistakes not them. It's not like their turnovers prevented them from scoring or penalties killed them or they gave up a special teams TD or big plays. We gave all that crap up, not them.

Last edited:
Well here's the thing, Washington played a clean game. No major breakdowns on D, you didn't see WR wide open for deep shots ala Maryland versus Texas. No huge gains in the run game. Special teams they played just about perfect two punts downed inside the two, a kickoff downed at the 6. Field goals and xtra points they were perfect, had a run back for TD. On offense no turnovers and their QB threw for big plays and 286 yds.

So how did they play like crap? Put that stat line on any team playing last weak and you'd say that they had a pretty good game. But since they played against Rutgers, it's well maybe they didn't play so great. I don't get it, we're the one's who made all the mistakes not them. It's not like their turnovers prevent them from scoring or penalties killed them or they gave up a special teams TD or big play. We gave all the crap up, not them.
Ya they kind of won the way a lesser team will beat a better team.

Which is not to say we were the better team, their QB is a player, their skill guys were really good, their special teams is a sign of depth we may not have, their ability to go hurry up when then had us on our heals is a sign of a well coached veteran squad. But this was certainly not an example of a physical mismatch.

Coming into this season I expected to see big improvement, I think we saw that in week 1, in mutiple area's. I agree it's only one game, a game we lost no less, and we need to continue to prove ourselves week to week, but that goes for every team in the country.

So how did they play like crap? Put that stat line on any team playing last weak and you'd say that they had a pretty good game. But since they played against Rutgers, it's well maybe they didn't play so great. I don't get it, we're the one's who made all the mistakes not them. It's not like their turnovers prevent them from scoring or penalties killed them or they gave up a special teams TD or big play. We gave all that crap up, not them.
Great points and I'd also add that Chris Peterson teams are almost always prepared.

There was clear progress and a degree of competence we did not see much of last season. I don't think it automatically means we are winning eight games, or that we won't have a stinker or two, but it definitely showed progress.

Reactions: thegock
spot on, my dad and I had a similar conversation. Washington had a lot go their way like you said, AND Browning not turning the ball over on the huge sack! That might have been points if Rutgers recovers.

So how did they play like crap? Put that stat line on any team playing last week and you'd say that they had a pretty good game. But since they played against Rutgers, it's well maybe they didn't play so great. I don't get it, we're the one's who made all the mistakes not them. It's not like their turnovers prevent them from scoring or penalties killed them or they gave up a special teams TD or big play. We gave all that crap up, not them.

Agree with both you and mad chuck here. One game is certainly not enough to draw concrete conclusions. This is not a team of veterans who should be playing at a high level from the get go and maintain it. There are so many new faces here that I, we, can hope to see improvement from week to week. The Nebraska game, as you said, is a good target. If, again, if, we are a significantly different and improved team the next two games should provide some more growth and hopefully it shows up as a competitive game against the huskers on the road.

So how did they play like crap? Put that stat line on any team playing last week and you'd say that they had a pretty good game. But since they played against Rutgers, it's well maybe they didn't play so great. I don't get it, we're the one's who made all the mistakes not them. It's not like their turnovers prevented them from scoring or penalties killed them or they gave up a special teams TD or big plays. We gave all that crap up, not them.

Because the DB didn't fall down on that Bailey touchdown on what was an awful pass? Bailey made a great play on the ball but the corner fell. If not for that play, we would've scored 7 points.

Because the DB didn't fall down on that Bailey touchdown on what was an awful pass? Bailey made a great play on the ball but the corner fell. If not for that play, we would've scored 7 points.
You really want to play the should've, would've, could've game? OK I'll play. Punt return TD, ball doesn't bounce right back to returner after he muffs it, the two punts inside the two they don't hit slow down and go straight forward rather hit speed up or go in any other direction. The sack fumble a lineman isn't right there to recover. Our WR doesn't fall down leading to an interception.

How about the myriad of circus catches they made or did we forget about those. Hell at one point I thought Barnum and Bailey decided to break off on their own and renamed the act Washington Huskies flying circus.

Last edited:
Spilt milk. Need more play action. QB has to stop staring down receivers. More people have to work into the DL rotation. Against E. Michigan we can put 8 in the box and let the secondary do their thing. Need more pressure on their QB...maybe blitz more.
Some guys played outstanding games. Davis drills Browning....Boom.
Even small stuff. - Nice to see PATs lifting up on the nets.
RU-Huskies in 30 minutes-

You really want to play the should've, would've, could've game? OK I'll play. Punt return TD, ball doesn't bounce right back to returner after he muffs it, the two punts inside the two they don't hit slow down and go straight forward rather hit speed up or go in any other direction. The sack fumble a lineman isn't right there to recover. Our WR doesn't fall down leading to an interception.

How about the myriad of circus catches they made or did we forget about those. Hell at one point I thought Barnum and Bailey decided to break off on their own and renamed the act Washington Huskies.
Or our TE/WR falling down, leading to one INT.

Spilt milk. Need more play action. QB has to stop staring down receivers. More people have to work into the DL rotation. Against E. Michigan we can put 8 in the box and let the secondary do their thing. Need more pressure on their QB...maybe blitz more.
Some guys played outstanding games. Davis drills Browning....Boom.
Even small stuff. - Nice to see PATs lifting up on the nets.
RU-Huskies in 30 minutes-

There have been so many posts about what we should have done more of. More down field, more play action, more blitz, etc, etc, etc. Listen to the coaches. They know that. They have all said this was a bare bones offensive and defensive plan. Why?, several reasons but the two big ones were they wanted to control the ball and shorten the game and keep the husky offense on the sideline. The other was unrelated to the opponent and was completely a function of the fact we had 22 players out there who had never played in a game for RU before. You can't throw the whole play book at a virtually totally new team in the summer preseason. Each week you can expect to see a more expanded scheme on both O and D. I really believe this team can only get better and we will start to see all the things people wanted to see last Friday.

There have been so many posts about what we should have done more of. More down field, more play action, more blitz, etc, etc, etc. Listen to the coaches. They know that. They have all said this was a bare bones offensive and defensive plan. Why?, several reasons but the two big ones were they wanted to control the ball and shorten the game and keep the husky offense on the sideline. The other was unrelated to the opponent and was completely a function of the fact we had 22 players out there who had never played in a game for RU before. You can't throw the whole play book at a virtually totally new team in the summer preseason. Each week you can expect to see a more expanded scheme on both O and D. I really believe this team can only get better and we will start to see all the things people wanted to see last Friday.
Agreed. Big Kudos to executing the plan. Tremendous clock usage on every play...snap at 5 seconds or less. Inspired up-the-gut running by Martin and "Gus" that lead to a significant TOP advantage for us. In the post game interview Coach Peterson was clearly disappointed in his teams play (hey - we're better this year) and the strategy for time of possession that should have worked but for a few punt bounces and 2 INTs. Very encouraging.

Certainly a lot more fun to be reading this board this week.
One game is certainly not a season. But with two winnable games next, we need to see this team show us it can do more than just win. We need to see well balanced offense and solid defense. If we have any hope of doing reasonably well in the BIG, we will need to be beyond what happened last season. I believe there are beatable league games on our schedule. This team has to not only show its fans it can win them, they need to show themselves too.

Reactions: HeyHuey
When was the last time a season started and I couldn't wait for the next game? Hmmm...let me think. Oh yeah....last year's basketball season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT