ADVERTISEMENT

I think we should pursue EJ Warner (Temple)

Bumping from last year

EJ Warner is in the portal now…

2023 Stats:
3000 yards
23 tds
12 ints
Behind a bad OLine

Would love to see what he can do with a Pat Flaherty OLine, great running backs (who can block), and Kirk/Brock QB development

He’s just down the road… and his family isn’t hurting for mega NIL money… just saying
I don't think we can afford him.

I don't think we can afford him.
Probably not, but we might actually be a good fit for him. The Warners don’t need a monster deal like others — and moving down the road to an auto-start position in the Big Ten has its benefits. Especially if an LT like Pierce stays another year.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Probably not, but we might actually be a good fit for him. The Warners don’t need a monster deal like others — and moving down the road to an auto-start position in the Big Ten has its benefits. Especially if an LT like Pierce stays another year.
You think he’s going to last more than 2-3 games in the B1G running the ball?

Reactions: RUSMOKING
I still don’t get why people think our OL can pass protect when needed. How many times do we run the ball on 3rd and long? It’s obvious the coaches don’t think the OL can hold up on passing downs. Our OL vastly improved in run blocking. Part of that was better run schemes.

How did EJ do against a defense like ours? Now, what if he was facing that or better 5-6 times a year?
I didn't think Warner is a good fit for the offense Greg wants to run, but I think that argument is the wrong one. Behind one of the worst pass protecting and run blocking OLs in all of FBS he still put up better #s than Gavin. Put it another way, against one of the worst secondaries in all of FBS football Gavin struggled. With our OL and running game he would probably do well, but under a totally different offensive scheme and I doubt the two parties have any interest in each other.

2023 Game
Wimsatt 10/21, 198yds, 1td, 0int
Warner 20/48, 230yds, 1td, 2int

2022 Game
Warner 19/32, 215yds, 1td, 1int

So you saying Winsattt is playing at a level that doesn’t allow him to succeed. Well we will find out in September when they go head to head.
What if Warner was on Rutgers and Wimsatt was on Temple? What would happen then?

What if Warner was on Rutgers and Wimsatt was on Temple? What would happen then?
We would have won 4 and they would not have lost any of the games they won.

Warner had one good game against a good team. that was UTSA 42/65 472 5 TD no Int - that was an insane performance and he gets major props for that performance.
But against the other 4 winning teams he faced - 91/181 50% 1080 7 TD 8 Int

We would have won 4 and they would not have lost any of the games they won.

Warner had one good game against a good team. that was UTSA 42/65 472 5 TD no Int - that was an insane performance and he gets major props for that performance.
But against the other 4 winning teams he faced - 91/181 50% 1080 7 TD 8 Int
I gave the #s in another post, but here they are combined.

Warner's lifetime #s against Rutgers:
Passing Completion %: 48.7%, 39/80
Yards: 445
TDs: 2
Ints: 3

Not out of the world #s, but decent, but then throw in the fact he played for one of worst FBS programs with an awful OL, sketchy receivers, and no running game his #s start to look better. He will get his $s and have the opportunity to play at a major P5 program, but it will not be Rutgers, he just doesn't fit with the offense we are running with this current staff.

Last edited:
I still don’t get why people think our OL can pass protect when needed. How many times do we run the ball on 3rd and long? It’s obvious the coaches don’t think the OL can hold up on passing downs. Our OL vastly improved in run blocking. Part of that was better run schemes.
TEs having to block on most pass plays says the OL isn't good enough to block 1v1. Both Langan & Bowman both had big drop offs from the year before in balls caught.

They run on all downs to keep the clock moving and avoid INTs unrelated to pass protection. They could scheme against a pass rush but didn’t care to do that.

Yea let's trash the offense to bring in a very average QB. I have no issue for going to the portal for an RPO capable QB, that is capable of also throwing with accuracy. We just had a thousand yd rusher, and you want to change all the blocking schemes to accommodate an average undersized QB, that is unsuited for the current offensive scheme, why the hell would you do that?

His arm strength- and decision making- when we played us was horrific. He is going to have to lateral to a program that will take those on. He looked better last year to be frank. Maybe Coastal Carolina is an O that fits him better or Western KY.

His arm strength- and decision making- when we played us was horrific. He is going to have to lateral to a program that will take those on. He looked better last year to be frank. Maybe Coastal Carolina is an O that fits him better or Western KY.
true, but still an upgrade. he is a legit college QB and not an extra RB in the backfield.

he'll never come here so a moot point. Any 2024 QB1 competition will be just as phony as the 2023 competition.

Get DJ Uiagalele from Oregon State by the way of Clemson , he'll fit better than EJ
If not DJ, get someone.
Southern Gent said Jefferson is leaving the Razorbacks, KJ would be a nice portal QB pick-up

Reactions: jtung230
Yes01 - these are not the same thing, so please choose 1 answer.

In your opinion, did the goal in games 9-12 seem to be:
a) to lose by less
b) to outscore the other team

the result isn't important. but the goal was. you won't ever win if you don't try. Tex Cobb tried. Cooney tried. To me and many others we didn't try, our game plan, playcalling demonstrated choice a) above very clearly.

Yes01 - these are not the same thing, so please choose 1 answer.

In your opinion, did the goal in games 9-12 seem to be:
a) to lose by less
b) to outscore the other team

the result isn't important. but the goal was. you won't ever win if you don't try. Tex Cobb tried. Cooney tried. To me and many others we didn't try, our game plan, playcalling demonstrated choice a) above very clearly.
By game 9- GS kind of knew what he had. He already achieved a bowl game and knowing him pretty well, his next achievement was always going to be 1) come up with a gameplan that he felt would give us the opportunity to win each game (I am not saying it is how I would have done it and a lot of the game calling was a bit confusing.) And in these games- he felt that trying to keep it close and eat the clock was his best option)
2) Not get embarrassed on the field.

If you really think any coach does not want to win every single game, then you are just wrong. You get nothing by tanking in college.

Your thought of (lose by less) Was actually a "keep it close" But it ended up that we made the mistakes and penalties that we needed the other team to make. When you know you do not have the man power on offense- this is actually the very smart, but boring way to try to get a win over a superior team.

Get DJ Uiagalele from Oregon State by the way of Clemson , he'll fit better than EJ
If not DJ, get someone.
Southern Gent said Jefferson is leaving the Razorbacks, KJ would be a nice portal QB pick-up
Think both are out of our price range.

Reactions: Kbee3
By game 9- GS kind of knew what he had. He already achieved a bowl game and knowing him pretty well, his next achievement was always going to be 1) come up with a gameplan that he felt would give us the opportunity to win each game (I am not saying it is how I would have done it and a lot of the game calling was a bit confusing.) And in these games- he felt that trying to keep it close and eat the clock was his best option)
2) Not get embarrassed on the field.

If you really think any coach does not want to win every single game, then you are just wrong. You get nothing by tanking in college.

Your thought of (lose by less) Was actually a "keep it close" But it ended up that we made the mistakes and penalties that we needed the other team to make. When you know you do not have the man power on offense- this is actually the very smart, but boring way to try to get a win over a superior team.
So, which is it a) or b) ?

Calling the same failing plays over and over again as the deficit grows, showing no urgency or interest in trying to score to catch up demonstrates no sincere interest in trying to win. It's rolling over and hoping for mercy.

So while it's easy to say on Saturday morning the coach wants to win , if the same pointless and clock-running plays are called all game long it shows that didn't prove to be the goal. Actions speak louder than words.

Using the boxing analogy again, you can say you want to win all you want but if you're content taking and not throwing punches you aren't actually trying to win.

GS directed a boatload of NIL to Wimsatt to get him here. Switching QBs or even having a real competition risks major criticism of that decision. No portal players worth anything will come here, nor does GS want any given the above.

So, which is it a) or b) ?

Calling the same failing plays over and over again as the deficit grows, showing no urgency or interest in trying to score to catch up demonstrates no sincere interest in trying to win. It's rolling over and hoping for mercy.

So while it's easy to say on Saturday morning the coach wants to win , if the same pointless and clock-running plays are called all game long it shows that didn't prove to be the goal. Actions speak louder than words.

Using the boxing analogy again, you can say you want to win all you want but if you're content taking and not throwing punches you aren't actually trying to win.
You realize you are asking me to give you one of your 2 choices as if your opinion is definitive. It is just negative and that is not how I look at things. And I gave you a much more fair and thought out opinion of what the point of games 9-12 were.

You realize you are asking me to give you one of your 2 choices as if your opinion is definitive. It is just negative and that is not how I look at things. And I gave you a much more fair and thought out opinion of what the point of games 9-12 were.
No, obviously not definitive. Just offering my opinion and asking yours. Based on all that you saw: playcalling, running play clock down even when behind late, running game all game, etc.....do you think the objective was a) lose by less or b) outscore the opponent ?

What is your opinion ? Those aren't the same things so saying "both" doesn't count.

I think they probably may get some NIL deals but don't assume every single time that's the case where boosters are paying big money.

Were Oregon State boosters paying DJU a bunch of NIL money when he went from Clemson to Oregon State. I don't know the answer but I'll guess probably not. I think it's more likely he wanted to get back to the west coast and play in an offense that might suit him.

Even Penix from IU to UW. I've posted the article here before. He went to UW because of DeBoer not NIL. He actually wasn't going to come back this season because he knew he was injury prone and didn't want to get hurt but last year's performance made him want to come back and he decided to come back before he had any NIL deals lined up. Eventually, he did get some NIL deals with Adidas and what not.

There are a variety of reason players move and change spots. Mainly NIL to mainly playing time/opportunity/fit and everything in between. Every individual is different.

GS directed a boatload of NIL to Wimsatt to get him here. Switching QBs or even having a real competition risks major criticism of that decision. No portal players worth anything will come here, nor does GS want any given the above.
May have to switch both as GS goes DC NFL, again.

Hard pass. Kid doesn’t have the wheels to run the 3rd and 9 QB draw which is a staple of our offense. Terrible fit. 😀

I think they probably may get some NIL deals but don't assume every single time that's the case where boosters are paying big money.

Were Oregon State boosters paying DJU a bunch of NIL money when he went from Clemson to Oregon State. I don't know the answer but I'll guess probably not. I think it's more likely he wanted to get back to the west coast and play in an offense that might suit him.

Even Penix from IU to UW. I've posted the article here before. He went to UW because of DeBoer not NIL. He actually wasn't going to come back this season because he knew he was injury prone and didn't want to get hurt but last year's performance made him want to come back and he decided to come back before he had any NIL deals lined up. Eventually, he did get some NIL deals with Adidas and what not.

There are a variety of reason players move and change spots. Mainly NIL to mainly playing time/opportunity/fit and everything in between. Every individual is different.
DJ is a proven commodity and will get big $. Not sure about KJ. Maybe he is a value play for us.

DJ is a proven commodity and will get big $. Not sure about KJ. Maybe he is a value play for us.
Stop. No one is coming here to be a certain backup. This entire premise is ridiculous. Two things are certain. GW is already the 2024 starter and every game is already officially a sellout.

Simon is leaving because he knows for sure there won’t be a competition.

No, obviously not definitive. Just offering my opinion and asking yours. Based on all that you saw: playcalling, running play clock down even when behind late, running game all game, etc.....do you think the objective was a) lose by less or b) outscore the opponent ?

What is your opinion ? Those aren't the same things so saying "both" doesn't count.
Laughing- maybe it is me, but pretty sure you just keep repeating yourself...You are asking me to just pick one of your two choices. And the first time you did it, I gave a lengthy response. But, since it was neither your two choices- you just figure you will just give them to me again two more times.

But let's play your rather simplistic look at it. Anyone that even thinks it is A or even has to ask the question- is an idiot. So, one(myself) with a much more intelligent look at what Coach GS was doing- would always have to go with B.
Now, the how he planned to do it, may be outside of your capacity.

Now yes after a little “rehab” with Jonathan Smith at Oregon St. I put it in the portal thread that likely destinations rumored are Oregon or FSU.

I think KJ would be out of reach too.

A realistic name might be someone similar to Donovan Smith who transferred from TT to Houston last year. But he went from one wide open offense to another.

what's comical is people comparing him to Gav in the attempt to elevate Gav while acknowledging that Gav sucks indirectly

Laughing- maybe it is me, but pretty sure you just keep repeating yourself...You are asking me to just pick one of your two choices. And the first time you did it, I gave a lengthy response. But, since it was neither your two choices- you just figure you will just give them to me again two more times.

But let's play your rather simplistic look at it. Anyone that even thinks it is A or even has to ask the question- is an idiot. So, one(myself) with a much more intelligent look at what Coach GS was doing- would always have to go with B.
Now, the how he planned to do it, may be outside of your capacity.
I believe you are oversimplifying, not me. I gave you the two choices but not the underlying reasons likely in play for each.

You are just flat out wrong to suggest all coaches try to win every game. Obviously, pro teams tank. Not players, but coaches. It’s a real thing. You know why. Long term success is more important than the short-lived success.

We aren’t tanking in that sense, but there are reasons a coach may favor future at the expense of the present. It’s a balance. Who redshirts and who doesn’t, for example.

After becoming bowl eligible, Schiano was satisfied that season goals were met and he was not going to try to win those last difficult games by pushing GW out of his comfort zone and skill set, which of course he knows doesn’t include passing. He was managing GW for long term success, not risking him losing confidence etc, get bad press etc by possibly stinking worse than before in games he was unlikely to win anyway. Schiano called ours a developmental program, and this is an example.

So no, he did not try to outscore the last four opponents. He preferred the probable losses to protect the development of Wimsatt, only trying to lose by less. This focus on the future after game 8 also shows that GW will be the starter next year. It’s been decided.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT