ADVERTISEMENT

If Chris Ash fails, so does Rutgers AD Pat Hobbs | Politi

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Chris Ash was coming back, Hobbs told them. The decision was his, and results be damned, he wasn't changing his mind. And now, his legacy as athletic director rests on Ash fixing this broken program. He might not get a second chance to make this work.

If Ash fails, so does Hobbs.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2018/11/chris_ash_pat_hobbs_rutgers_column_politi.html
https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/confirmed-ash-is-back-next-year.156871/page-6#post-358151

No mention of the financial considerations of the decision in that article. Not that it changes the opinions expressed but it seems a change was never forthcoming this year given the associated costs. I don't see this situation getting much better next year so renewing season ticket holders better go into this with their eyes wide open.

Reactions: Steve91562
Chris Ash was coming back, Hobbs told them. The decision was his, and results be damned, he wasn't changing his mind. And now, his legacy as athletic director rests on Ash fixing this broken program. He might not get a second chance to make this work.

If Ash fails, so does Hobbs.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2018/11/chris_ash_pat_hobbs_rutgers_column_politi.html
Without reading the article (sorry im lazy) do we know for a fact that it’s Hobbs’ decision to bring back Ash or someone else unwilling to make a move. Perhaps he wants to fire Ash but was overruled. In that case, he’s in a tough spot. As AD it should appear publically as his decision, even if Barchi or the board are the ones unwilling to sign off. It’s possible that Hobbs’ hands are tied and like a good soldier will go down with the ship.

If it is his decision, then I agree, he should be on the hot seat when the team bombs again next year. He’s placing a big bet on his guy, and the odds are not in his favor

Last edited:
This is not a flame or snarky question, but what is the projected time of the basketball rebuild, namely, when will the team play over .500 and make at least the NIT?
Asking for a friend.

I think many would say that we should be very competitive and win a couple of unexpected games this year and make a significant leap to the middle of the pack in the conference next year. That should equate to a winning season overall next year and possible consideration for the NIT depending on the strength of the conference. While Mens BBall recruiting can still improve, they are at an entirely different level than football and have a proven coaching staff to develop the better talent.

Without reading the article (sorry im lazy) do we know for a fact that it’s Hobbs’ decision to bring back Ash or just speculation? Perhaps he wants to make a move but was overruled. In that case, he’s in a tough spot.

If it is his decision, then I agree, he should be on the hot seat when the team bombs again next year. He’s placing a big bet on his guy, and the odds are not in his favor

Another university official was more definitive on Ash's status:

"Unless something changes in the next five days, there's no way Ash isn't coming back,'' the university official said.

Both university officials told NJ Advance Media the result of Saturday's season finale at Michigan State isn't something that can change Hobbs' thinking on Ash's status.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2018/11/rutgers_chris_ash_return.html

Without reading the article (sorry im lazy) do we know for a fact that it’s Hobbs’ decision to bring back Ash or just speculation? Perhaps he wants to make a move but was overruled. In that case, he’s in a tough spot.

Seems like anonymous sources saying ash will be back. Nothing from Hobbs. But politi’s article speculates that Hobbs is the one of the few that believe in ash

tenor.gif

I'm not accepting this as a fact until Hobbs actually speaks on the subject.
Anonymous quotes don't satisfy me.
I am hopeful (maybe foolishly hopeful) by the fact that we haven't heard anything from Hobbs yet. Hobbs was very vocal at the beginning of the season in expressing support for Ash. But he has been silent recently.

Reactions: ruronny
Same here.
It is interesting that according to Politi, a well meaning colleague has told Hobbs that "his FB coach is over his head". I wonder what colleague that could be? Certainly not Alvarez.

So 2 articles with no facts? Last night they reported an anonymous source who used the CBS sports tweet from a long time ago to support their statement Ash is coming back? Today another article which uses the first crap article as a source. Bad reporting.

While I do agree with most of Politi's take on this, he does make one very dumb comment.

Politi writes: "If Ash's status wasn't in doubt, why let him twist in the wind with one week to go when any lingering uncertainty becomes fodder for opposing recruiters? Forget the dated idea that an AD must wait until after the season to assess the program.

Why not offer support weeks ago?"

Offer support weeks ago? At least Hobbs hopefully learned from his mistake before the season began saying that his coach was not on the hot seat, why should he speak out of turn again? While I disagree with the decision to retain Ash, did Politi ever think that he wanted more information to make the decision, such as Rutgers (relative) competitiveness over the last few weeks of the season and perhaps most importantly, whether there was the $ support necessary to fire Ash and McNulty and hire a new coaching staff. I do TOTALLY agree with any AD who wants to wait until the full season is out to make a firing decision. Politi's statement that it is a "dated idea" is BS.

This is not a flame or snarky question, but what is the projected time of the basketball rebuild, namely, when will the team play over .500 and make at least the NIT?
Asking for a friend.

Year 4 is reasonable for nit..I think year 5 and 6 are the projected ncaa years...but anyone can see the trajectory is up with hoops..when It stops youll be able to see It

Year 4 is reasonable for nit..I think year 5 and 6 are the projected ncaa years...but anyone can see the trajectory is up with hoops..when It stops youll be able to see It
Do you think an NIT is obtainable this year, and if it is not, and Pikiell logs another 14 or 15 win season, his seat is not moderately warm?

Is he getting a pass because he has a lot of energy, and he has lost a lot of close games, or recruiting ticking up? I am genuinely interested, as I don't follow basketball very closely.

Hobbs was a Christie butt buddy from Seton Hall Law School.
Barchi owes his original fat contract to Christie. Barchi felt obligated to hire Christie’s Seton Hall friend who helped him a little coverup Bridgegate issue.

But Christie is now gone. Eventually Barchi will retire.
Then the next President might actually hire an AD w football experience who might hire a competent D1 coaching staff.

Whoever buys season tickets w this coaching staff , AD and President should consider themselves Suckers of the highest degree.

After 4 decades of season tickets, I’m done w season tickets, but will come to the occasional game and buy for $20 a game on the secondary market.

Do you think an NIT is obtainable this year, and if it is not, and Pikiell logs another 14 or 15 win season, his seat is not moderately warm?

Is he getting a pass because he has a lot of energy, and he has lost a lot of close games, or recruiting ticking up? I am genuinely interested, as I don't follow basketball very closely.

Pike has brought the MBB program a long way. Recruiting has gone well, talent in the program is way up, and player development has been excellent. He has held onto good assistant coaches. Also, Pike is a good x's and o's coach. This year's team is a lot of fun to watch. I think that at this point we are one dominant scorer away from being a really good team.

Hobbs was a Christie butt buddy.
Barchi owes his original fat contract to Christie. Barchi felt obligated to hire Christie’s Seton Hall friend who helped him a little coverup Bridgegate issue.

Then the next President might actually hire an AD w football experience who might hire a competent D1 coaching staff.

Whoever buys season tickets w this coaching staff , AD and Presidents should consider themselves Suckers of the highest degree.

After 4 decades of season tickets, I’m done w season tickets, but will come to the occasional game and buy for $20 a game on the secondary market.
C'mon Abro, "butt buddy?" You are better than that.

Hobbs is a Democrat.

Here is a video interview right after he was named to the job of ombudsman.
https://www.njtvonline.org/news/video/patrick-hobbs/#.U3KlmxJP0LU.twitter

He was also serving on the State Commission of Investigation, appointed by Gov. McGreevey. The article, linked below, says Hobbs is a Democrat. Christie appointed Hobbs to Chair the SCI in 2011.

Deans of Law Schools are typically appointed to these types of positions.
https://www.nj.com/politics/index.s...istie_names_seton_hall_dean_as_ombudsman.html

Obviously, the pitchfork and fire crowd wants to tar and feather Hobbs and run him out of town. But at least get your facts straight.

Hobbs is a Democrat.

He was also serving on the State Commission of Investigation, appointed by Gov. McGreevey. The article, linked below, says Hobbs is a Democrat. Christie appointed Hobbs to Chair the SCI in 2011.

https://www.nj.com/politics/index.s...istie_names_seton_hall_dean_as_ombudsman.html

Obviously, the pitchfork and fire crowd wants to tar and feather Hobbs and run him out of town. But at least get your facts straight.
I’m more annoyed about the comment directed at those of us who will still be renewing our tickets.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I’m more annoyed about the comment directed at those of us who will still be renewing our tickets.
I missed that one.
I understand the frustration and anger of some fans.
It is indeed frustrating to be a fan of Rutgers football right now.
But I am a loyal son, and not a sucker.
I don't need anyone to project their anger at me other others if I am choosing a different option next year. This forum reminds me of December 2013 when Flood was not fired, and some of us said that we will continue to support the program. The pitchfork and fire crowd taunted those that supported the program. Real internet tough guys.

Totally rebuilding a football program is tough work and takes longer than one wants. Every year a new OC and a true freshman QB and this is what happens. You have to stick with these people because if you fire them, you are starting over and it gets a whole lot worse. Now, can he recruit some big DTs to stop getting run over.

I don’t think it’s wrong to renew or cancel/ not renew. I can definitely understand renewing out of love for Rutgers Football though for me, I just don’t see the point in supporting this regime. I’d rather take the season ticket money and donate it. I don’t want to give our administration ANY indication that I am in any way satisfied with what I’m seeing and with what they’re doing; my way of doing that is telling them as long as this continues you can count my 2 season tickets out.

Joe P.

Totally rebuilding a football program is tough work and takes longer than one wants. Every year a new OC and a true freshman QB and this is what happens. You have to stick with these people because if you fire them, you are starting over and it gets a whole lot worse. Now, can he recruit some big DTs to stop getting run over.

I can appreciate that it takes time but I see a lot of screw-ups this year that quite frankly we shouldn’t see in year 3 and they are squarely on him. Perhaps most importantly Ash’s recruiting is f’n ATROCIOUS right now. ATROCIOUS. How can anyone talk about ‘rebuild’ when the guy can’t even get lumber or concrete to the job site? What exactly is he ‘rebuilding’ with? Does real life have a Madden ‘create a player’ feature that we don’t know about?

Joe P.

I can appreciate that it takes time but I see a lot of screw-ups this year that quite frankly we shouldn’t see in year 3 and they are squarely on him. Perhaps most importantly Ash’s recruiting is f’n ATROCIOUS right now. ATROCIOUS. How can anyone talk about ‘rebuild’ when the guy can’t even get lumber or concrete to the job site? What exactly is he ‘rebuilding’ with? Does real life have a Madden ‘create a player’ feature that we don’t know about?
It does not. But there are some who think otherwise.

Reactions: JoeRU0304
Hobbs was a Christie butt buddy from Seton Hall Law School.

Whoever buys season tickets w this coaching staff , AD and President should consider themselves Suckers of the highest degree.

Its clear Barchi and Hobbs dont care.Why should the fan base?

Hobbs is a Democrat.

why are you renewing ur tickets when Barchi and Hobbs dont care?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT