ADVERTISEMENT

If Gio starts from Game 1, we go BOWLING

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
I would put Iowa, Illinois, and Minnesota in the win columns. We certainly don't get shutout by OSU and Michigan.

The million dollar question is why did it take so long to make the qb switch?

Reactions: jreinsdorf
I would put Iowa, Illinois, and Minnesota in the win columns. We certainly don't get shutout by OSU and Michigan.

maybe he wasnt ready to be handed the keys. Listen everyone on this board knew Laviano shouldnt be the starter but that does not mean Gio was ready to take over. And we have no way of knowing how those games would turn out, there are enough flaws on the team to hold it back and RU didnt win yesterday so calm down with the what if projections until you know he actually wins us a game. Just be glad we have a QB now and the offense can finally compete and functions

I have to give Al credit for his "ABL" post this past spring, for which he received much ridicule. I know that it is not PC to think that way about one of our own warriors, but I sure wish that Ash felt that way two months ago.

maybe he wasnt ready to be handed the keys. Listen everyone on this board knew Laviano shouldnt be the starter but that does not mean Gio was ready to take over. And we have no way of knowing how those games would turn out, there are enough flaws on the team to hold it back and RU didnt win yesterday so calm down with the what if projections until you know he actually wins us a game. Just be glad we have a QB now and the offense can finally compete and functions

In fairness, gio did enough to win the game yesterday. Left the field with a lead (if you don't count the final play obviously)

I'm excited as the next guy for Gio but let's pump the brakes. He can easily have a horrible next game and then we're back to square one. He had ONE good game! Let him play a couple before we make these crazy threads lol

Reactions: bac2therac
Completely disagree. People forget that college players have the ability to improve if they're doing all the right things. Gio today is not the same as Gio in Week 1, Gio in spring or Gio last fall. Same goes for a lot of other guys on the team.

Reactions: mdh2003 and Block R
Completely disagree. People forget that college players have the ability to improve if they're doing all the right things. Gio today is not the same as Gio in Week 1, Gio in spring or Gio last fall. Same goes for a lot of other guys on the team.

That may be, but he is replacing a guy who was the 2nd worst quarterback in D1 according to ESPN rankings

http://www.espn.com/ncf/qbr/_/order/false

So Gio then < Gio now, but was Gio then better than the 2nd worst qb in D1 or better?

If so, maybe we could have won Iowa

Last edited:
Please STOP the madness!!!!!

This board and the legion of peanut gallery reps and arm chair QB's are becoming unbearable.

BTW... Crickets from the Rettig brigade the past 24 hours. I guess they were all really closet Gio fans.

It's hard for me to envision Rettig performing worse than what we saw the first 6 games. He surely deserved more of an opportunity than Allen, who had trouble completing passes. but I'm happy that Gio has seized his opportunity.

Keep changing the story Al. 2 weeks ago it was we all knew it was a 5 yr turnaround project

Do you you really think that Gio improved by leaps and bounds getting fourth string reps behind Laviano, Allen, and Oden? That's a convenient narrative so that people don't look bad. I would argue that most of his development likely occurred prior to week one.

Reactions: Unionst

Well, at least Ash switched quarterbacks before he switched license plates. Or did he get that taken care of already?

There is no compelling evidence to support the conclusion cited above mainly because of all the turnovers Rutgers continues to make and their inability to stop opponents from scoring.

The evidence is that the offense actually has a pulse now, with the 32 points scored against Minnesota, who has an average defense. Do you really think we only score 7 points with Gio at the helm, vs Iowa and Illinois?

Do you you really think that Gio improved by leaps and bounds getting fourth string reps behind Laviano, Allen, and Oden? That's a convenient narrative so that people don't look bad. I would argue that most of his development likely occurred prior to week one.

He impressed the staff being scout team QB vs Illinois. When you play scout team there is zero thinking involved. You just play. In 2008 Joe Martinek played so well on scout team they started giving him carries mid-year and he took it and ran. You guys are so mentally beaten by Flood you forget players can improve during the year.

Reactions: czxqa and mdh2003

How about "if Giovanni was ready by game one", we could've had more wins?

..........because he wasn't ready. He hadn't started a game in nearly three years and was still learning the offensive scheme.

don't argue Al, your charm is in looking ahead and not rear-viewing

Its not a narrative Al... It happens... I've seen it happen before.... Gio always had the physical tools... But the mental aspect and consistency have always held him back... Till now... (I've said it numerous times on here...In order to get a chance to show it in games..You have to do it in practice first).... To sit here and say that the Gio we saw on Sat. Would've been the same Gio at the start of the season is just plain idiotic.... During camp he was neck and neck with Allen for the #2 position remember? Now after seeing Allen play, would you say that was a good thing? Which after that he did sort of fall off the radar...(consistency remember?). But to his credit..He kept working...kept developing... And when he got another opportunity... He seized it!! So here we are now, with a 2-6 record... And actually feeling good about this team!! So let's not look back on what "mighta been" (especially since the Gio we saw on Sat. would not have been the same Gio week 1).... Instead let's look forward to the rest of this season with hope, and a renewed optimism....

To sit here and say that the Gio we saw on Sat. Would've been the same Gio at the start of the season is just plain idiotic.... ... Instead let's look forward to the rest of this season with hope, and a renewed optimism....

I'm not saying that. I'm saying the Gio we saw Saturday would have performed better had he played games 1-6, which I realize is 20/20 hindsight, but I think its a fair question to ask. I do feel renewed and optimistic.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
as well as he played, he still made some big mistakes. Earlier in the season, it might have been even worse. Although yes, if he did play more in 1-6, he might not have made those mistakes against Minny.

I agree with All. I also think that regardless of QB, if Grant stays healthy we beat Iowa and Illinois and Minn., But I think with Gio starting from game one we beat all those teams.

Reactions: RUMountie
I'm not saying that. I'm saying the Gio we saw Saturday would have performed better had he played games 1-6, which I realize is 20/20 hindsight, but I think its a fair question to ask. I do feel renewed and optimistic.

But u basically did say that Al...U claimed that if we had Gio starting, we win Iowa, Illinois, and Minny...That's based on Gio's performance from Saturday...Not where he was beginning of the year..Im not saying that couldn't have happened...But there's way too many variables to make a claim either way...

Al continues with his baseless assumptions/predictions. I do however agree from speculative standpoint, gaves VS illinois and iowa, were wins / winnable if he played anywhere near Saturdays level.

But u basically did say that Al...U claimed that if we had Gio starting, we win Iowa, Illinois, and Minny...That's based on Gio's performance from Saturday...Not where he was beginning of the year..Im not saying that couldn't have happened...But there's way too many variables to make a claim either way...

No I didn't. You're saying that I'm saying that the Gio we saw Saturday would have been the Gio we would have seen Game 1, and I didn't say that.

I'm saying

-that Gio would have performed better saturday had he played games 1-6
-we likely would have won the winnable games had Gio played

Al continues with his baseless assumptions/predictions. I do however agree from speculative standpoint, gaves VS illinois and iowa, were wins / winnable if he played anywhere near Saturdays level.

Hold on. there is a basis for my assumption: Gio's peformance Saturday.

..........because he wasn't ready. He hadn't started a game in nearly three years and was still learning the offensive scheme.

I don't know about that, Gio ran a similar scheme his senior year in high school. You could argue along with Oden and Allen he may have had the best chance to pick up DM's scheme the quickest and of course physically he is much better suited for it than Laviano, Rettig or Dare.

I don't know about that, Gio ran a similar scheme his senior year in high school. You could argue along with Oden and Allen he may have had the best chance to pick up DM's scheme the quickest and of course physically he is much better suited for it than Laviano, Rettig or Dare.

But he did not, he did not have a good spring.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT