ADVERTISEMENT

If Janarion Grant was not injured...

Yes, Laviano would still be starting.

Grant would've helped RU to at least one win between Iowa, Illinois and Minnesota. He would've kept OSU and Michigan from being the complete disasters they were. Ash and DM wouldn't be under so much scrutiny, so they continue to give Laviano a long leash and try Allen and Oden in spots.

Personally, I don't think Laviano would still be starting at this point, JG or no JG.

Gio was given his shot because he showed continued improvement and development during the course of the season in practice, and he's actually much better suited to be at the controls of the power spread since he ran something similar in high school, and also as a result of his ability to make plays with his feet.

Laviano, on the other hand, had reached his ceiling within the offense we're now using, and, in fact, had been at his ceiling for a while, and it especially showed during real game action, (no matter how he might have looked during the course of the week).

And yes, Grant might have helped win one of the games we lost, (or not), and the games vs. tOSU and Michigan might have been a little closer with him on the field, (again, or not). Thing is, there's really no way to know with 100% certainty. -But GR's athletic ability would have overtaken Laviano eventually regardless, no matter who else was on the field.

Simply my opinion, of course, but that's the way I believe things would have gone.

Last edited:
I don't think so. Ash isn't stupid. Laviano gives you NOTHING in terms of getting everybody on the same page for the future and he knew it. Just waited it out to make the change at the right time (see: when he and DM felt comfortable with Gio and, likely, after Mich/OSU regardless).

Would Laviano still be starting?

Damn, this is actually a good question. And im afraid the answer is yeah. Grant would have made lavs look just good enough to not make the "desparation" move of putting in gio.... talk about a blessing in disguise (potentially)

Damn, this is actually a good question. And im afraid the answer is yeah. Grant would have made lavs look just good enough to not make the "desparation" move of putting in gio.... talk about a blessing in disguise (potentially)
Maybe this is just my memory lapse, but when Leonte was on the field last year, didn't Laviano look passable at times as a first-year starter? Make no mistake, he was positively wretched the whole time this year, but Grant would've made him look better. And if he didn't catch actual passes, Grant would've helped the offense out by not starting out each drive buried in our own endzone.

Reactions: Saint Puppy
Maybe this is just my memory lapse, but when Leonte was on the field last year, didn't Laviano look passable at times as a first-year starter? Make no mistake, he was positively wretched the whole time this year, but Grant would've made him look better. And if he didn't catch actual passes, Grant would've helped the offense out by not starting out each drive buried in our own endzone.

It's hard to catch passes that are thrown into the ground, 5-yards in front of you, or 10-yards over your head (when you're wide open).

Interesting, but no. Laviano would still be on the bench today if Grant were still healthy. He had Grant for 3 and almost 1/2 games and couldn't muster points. He was inaccurate with his passes, even his completions were adjustments by the receiver. Having Grant isn't going to help him if he's throwing darts into the ground from 7yds. away.

Plus his legs don't seem to work, it looked like it caused him severe pain when he carried the ball. Give Grant to Gio hitting him in stride like he did several times last week and that could have been a lethal combination.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUMountie
So many on here live by the "he's a nice guy" crap. Results are whats matter. Laviano may be a great kid. But a horrible D1 QB. Turn the page. Just because he isn't successful doesn't mean he is a bad kid and we don't like him as a person. But he should never take another snap.
Coach Ash needs to build for the future, not care about some guys feelings or some clown on here's opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT