ADVERTISEMENT

In or Out?

Why wouldn't you consider them a better fan? It would cost around $5,000 to go to the game. If I were a better fan, I'd have made that trip for a game.

If you decide to end your support of the team and someone else in the same situation decides to continue their support, then he is the better fan. This is simple logic.
If someone ends their support in an attempt to force change and make it better are they not a better fan than the enabler who keeps going and is satisfied with the shit he is getting in return. Simple logic. Its called tough love.

You are a great fan. I would argue that a clone of you that didn't give up their seats would be an even better fan.

I am keeping one for continuity. But the more I think about it, you may be right. I am not the FAN of the Football Program I have been. Actually, I am not even the fan of the school I used to be. The politics and the athletic short comings have worn me down and out.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
If someone ends their support in an attempt to force change and make it better are they not a better fan than the enabler who keeps going and is satisfied with the shit he is getting in return. Simple logic. Its called tough love.

Agree. But from the perspective of RU, the best fans are the ones that renew seats, parking and donations every year, no matter what the results of the previous season on and off the field.

Imo the only way to force change is to reduce the revenue stream to RU on game days. They will eventually understand that they need to address their customer needs when they have far fewer customers on game day.

Reactions: cicero grimes
I'm leaning towards the keep one to maintain consecutive seasons/priority points strategy if Ash is back. So that's dropping two tickets for those doing the math. In addition to the horrendous state of the program, from a personal circumstances standpoint it just makes too much sense. I can hold back financial support while still having access to tickets via the secondary market. I get flexibility on number of tickets and what games I go to. From the sound of things, I'll probably even be able to just go sit in my current seats anyway.

There would probably have to be some Sandusky-like scandal for me to ever consider completely walking away.
This is our plan as well. From 9 last year to 6 this year to 1 next year.

Yes, you can. That isn't the point. The point is that when two fans, under similar circumstances, make different decisions about whether to maintain season tix or not, then one can conclude that one is a better fan than the other.

Bringing in the idea that one lives thousands of miles away makes the situations non-comparable and meaningless.
So what you are saying is you are a terrible fan because you live halfway around the world?

I don't think anyone should be criticized either for renewing or not renewing. It depends on the individual's tastes and circumstances. Many people think they have better things to do on a Saturday afternoon than watch the team lose big, and are disgusted with the program's regression after signs of hope in the Schiano years. Other people still enjoy the experience, although they wish the score would be different. Some people live close, some people live far, and that plays a role too. There isn't any "right" or "wrong" answer to the question of whether to renew.

I don't think anyone should be criticized either for renewing or not renewing. It depends on the individual's tastes and circumstances. Many people think they have better things to do on a Saturday afternoon than watch the team lose big, and are disgusted with the program's regression after signs of hope in the Schiano years. Other people still enjoy the experience, although they wish the score would be different. Some people live close, some people live far, and that plays a role too. There isn't any "right" or "wrong" answer to the question of whether to renew.
Ding, ding ding. Exactly.

In, unless our tailgate crew comes unglued or something unrelated to RU football affects my availability.

In, unless our tailgate crew comes unglued or something unrelated to RU football affects my availability.
Come to think of it...I am amending my replies to be pending hookers and blow as new season tix holder benefits in the future.

Reactions: mildone
I had tough love for 30+ years. It has lead to one top ten ranking. Maybe Rutgers needs to finally commit to winning. The fact they don't understand/care that football is a business tells me they don't give a rat's ass about long time fans.

I am renewing, but I might be the only person in my group of four regardless of the team's performance...one guy works on Saturday mornings now, another is having a baby in the summer, and the other is moving to Maryland. Guess I need to make some new friends.

Reactions: WhiteBus
I am renewing, but I might be the only person in my group of four regardless of the team's performance...one guy works on Saturday mornings now, another is having a baby in the summer, and the other is moving to Maryland. Guess I need to make some new friends.
Reading this thread you can make a big group of orphaned Rutgers fans [winking]

Reactions: Block R
Ding, ding ding. Exactly.
I couldn't agree more.

And as I said, I'm not criticizing anyone who doesn't renew. I find myself emotionally disengaging from the team and I have been a Rutgers fan since 1976. I was just posing the question of what loyalty means in a fan. And I argue that sticking with the team through thick and thin is evidence of more loyalty than withdrawing support when things are bad.

But, the question of what will help the team improve the most? I honestly think that not renewing does. We need change.

I couldn't agree more.

And as I said, I'm not criticizing anyone who doesn't renew. I find myself emotionally disengaging from the team and I have been a Rutgers fan since 1976. I was just posing the question of what loyalty means in a fan. And I argue that sticking with the team through thick and thin is evidence of more loyalty than withdrawing support when things are bad.

But, the question of what will help the team improve the most? I honestly think that not renewing does. We need change.

I think that reasonable people can differ about whether it is actually more loyal to stay and watch what we're watching, or instead walk away in the hope that will encourage the University to take steps to make things better.

Never again. Doesn’t matter who is hired.

Got suckered in by Schiano. Donated a significant amount for me. Had 8. Kept tickets for a couple years after that. Then it was obvious no one cared. Dropped them around the time Ash was hired. Kept getting wrong parking passes. Lifetime donations were discounted to almost nothing. Prices jacked up.

Was a great decision. It’s a clown show. Wish I had all my money back. You can get tickets online for pennies on the dollar. Would be dumb to pay the ridiculous prices they want for their catastrophe of a program. Buh Bye.

I'm in and involuntarily so is my wife. She married me, so she's screwed. However, the other 7 are done. As in, don't ever call me to attend that sh*tshow again done and one, I don't care if they hire Jesus Christ, done. After Saturday, I'm now officially a tailgate of plus one.

Make sure that you stay on good terms with your wife.

“Don’t ever call me to see that sh*tshow again.” RU fans run the risk of losing personal friendships if they invite others to another game. Too funny and well said!

Reactions: rubigtimenow
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT