ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting tidbits from Carino at practice today

RC1978

All American
Gold Member
Feb 11, 2008
--Harper & McConnell are focused on the present but sure sounded like guys who know their days here are dwindling....

It would it be tough losing McConnell

-Paul Mulcahy is earning his degree this spring (in just 3 years)

Would Paul go for his Masters somewhere else?

I know it will all be speculation until anything is announced but would be scary if both leave.

It'd be nice if McConnell came back but like I said before all the guys he came in with are gonna be gone. It's the closing of a chapter. I was watching the MVC game earlier today and thought McConnell could be an all-league type guy in that sort of conference.

Reactions: Scangg
It's a rebuilding year so I wouldn't be surprised by anyone on the team transferring. That's the nature of the game nowadays.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I think there is something to be said about having your time and then when it's done, let the other guys have their turn. Mag, Jaden, Jalen, Reiber, Hyatt have all been patiently waiting their turn.

Maybe McConnell sees that and doesn't want to be the guy who holds back the development of the younger guys.

Geo stayed for a 5th year, but he wasn't holding anyone back and we certainly needed him.

That being said, I'd love for McConnell to come back

Last edited:
Geo is done, Ron definitely should go, Caleb probably gains quite a bit by returning, the spotlight shifts, bringing him closer to the center, improvement in the offensive side of his game would really serve him well, an additional year of offensive growth could have a huge impact on his value. His offensive game could become a matter of fact vs. Speculation and projection.

There’s no need to have rebuilding years with the portal.
That may be true, but the reality is much different when you're running a specific type of system. Very few players that hit the portal don't have some type of significant flaws to their game, so it's not as easy as just plugging and playing.

And before anyone asks, no I'm not happy with Pike's recent recruiting. However, I am willing to be patient to see how it goes before I start hiring Pitino in his place.

--Harper & McConnell are focused on the present but sure sounded like guys who know their days here are dwindling....

It would it be tough losing McConnell

-Paul Mulcahy is earning his degree this spring (in just 3 years)

Would Paul go for his Masters somewhere else?

I know it will all be speculation until anything is announced but would be scary if both leave.
Those facts are all expected. Your speculation is crazy. Paul and Pike are very close.

I think Caleb leaves with his boys. Would love to see him back
I see very little chance of him transferring to another college. One of the articles tributing the 3 of them mentioned that for these 3 guys the transfer portal may as well be a space shuttle to Mars or something like that - in that culture changing article.

If he leaves - he’s going pro. His comments in the NJ.com article make it sound like he’ll go the typical route of testing the waters and looking for feedback. It’ll be interesting to see if he gets a combine invite. Before laughing (yes I know Geo and RHJ didn’t get one) remember that the skills Caleb brings is more rare than those guys - especially with his measurables. He might get the invite.

Reactions: Plum Street
Geo and Harper are gone. If McConnell and Mulcahy leave, Cliff would be gone too. Don’t think Mulcahy leaves, however.

Regardless, I’d rather focus on tomorrow. A nice run, sure could change a couple minds.

Reactions: Plum Street

Not intending to relink, but reference the recently published McConnell article on Rivals. Certainly doesn’t sound like a kid mulling over the transfer portal in any way shape or form. He knows the era of playing with his buddies is ending. Sounds pretty loyal to Pike and RU to me though. I say he’ll be back unless the feedback he gets is to try to go pro now which seems doubtful.

Caleb does not have a professional level offensive game. Isn't that obvious?
History says it doesn’t necessarily matter for DPOY types.

I’ve referenced him before - Jevon Carter is the furthest thing from NBA caliber offensive player but he’s done quite well as a utility player. And please don’t throw up his WVU scoring stats and say he scored more than Caleb because it’s crap. He played for a full time pressing team that created offense off of defense as their primary means of scoring. His collegiate “offense” was not transferable to the NBA level at all.

Caleb needs to get his FT form back and continue to work on his ball handling (which really is not that bad for the second guard on the floor). These things would be important for the type of role he could feasibly play (helping to get stops to close out a game) and he was once automatic from charity. He does need to work on his mid range form and get that shot he once had back so that he’s capable of keeping a defense honest if left wide open. He does not need to develop much more offense than this to get serious consideration for a roster. Not for the type of role he’d be sought after for. He would not be brought in for the purpose of creating an offensive boost.

Reactions: rockyrutgers
History says it doesn’t necessarily matter for DPOY types.

I’ve referenced him before - Jevon Carter is the furthest thing from NBA caliber offensive player but he’s done quite well as a utility player. And please don’t throw up his WVU scoring stats and say he scored more than Caleb because it’s crap. He played for a full time pressing team that created offense off of defense as their primary means of scoring. His collegiate “offense” was not transferable to the NBA level at all.

Caleb needs to get his FT form back and continue to work on his ball handling (which really is not that bad for the second guard on the floor). These things would be important for the type of role he could feasibly play (helping to get stops to close out a game) and he was once automatic from charity. He does need to work on his mid range form and get that shot he once had back so that he’s capable of keeping a defense honest if left wide open. He does not need to develop much more offense than this to get serious consideration for a roster. Not for the type of role he’d be sought after for. He would not be brought in for the purpose of creating an offensive boost.

Mattise Thybulle (6’5) is another example of a defensive focused NBA player who sees valuable minutes for one of the best teams in the league (Sixers).

He’s started many games this year, averaging 26 min per game and only 5.6 points per game (and only 2.4 reb; 1.2 ast).

Not trying to compare their games or say that Caleb is the caliber defender of Thybulle but there is definitely opportunities in the league for elite perimeter defenders.

Mattise Thybulle (6’5) is another example of a defensive focused NBA player who sees valuable minutes for one of the best teams in the league (Sixers).

He’s started many games this year, averaging 26 min per game and only 5.6 points per game (and only 2.4 reb; 1.2 ast).

Not trying to compare their games or say that Caleb is the caliber defender of Thybulle but there is definitely opportunities in the league for elite perimeter defenders.
Exactly - I mean this as no disrespect to RHJ’s NBA chances but another way to look at this:

For RHJ (or any player for that matter) to successfully make a roster, the team needs to envision situations where that player would be one of the best 5 options to put on the floor. Ron has work to do in the combine, etc. to prove this would be the case.

Caleb was named THIS YEAR as one of 10 NATIONAL DPOY candidates. There are many in game situations in the NBA where the focus is on getting the defensive stop. Whether it’s subbing in for offense / defense, running out the clock on a game with the lead, and so on. If he comes back and wins that national award next year and also shoots 80% or better from charity he’s going to have a legit chance to make a roster because there could be teams that envision him as becoming good enough to be one of the 5 players in their best defensive line up.

What I’m trying to say is that sometimes with the NBA guys that are one of that best at a specific thing have a better shot than guys that were great all around college level players but at the NBA level don’t stand out in any one specific thing.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT