ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa isn't very good

Extra Point

Heisman Winner
Aug 9, 2001
Which means Rutgers offense is really bad, unable to move the ball against them.

another possibility they played so well against Rutgers they became overconfident .:Sly:

Or maybe the whooping they put on RU tired them out and they haven't recovered yet :Wink:

Strangest end to a game I’ve seen in awhile. Iowa wins 18-17 on a muffed punt return (when the ball hits an Iowa State blocker in the back and that blocker also runs into the punt return man). Iowa recovers for the win.

Iowa State isn't a bad team at all. They're borderline top 25. It was also away and the field was in awful condition.

Reactions: Rokodesh
Strangest end to a game I’ve seen in awhile. Iowa wins 18-17 on a muffed punt return (when the ball hits an Iowa State blocker in the back and that blocker also runs into the punt return man). Iowa recovers for the win.
Bonehead more than strange to me.

That was a fun game to watch though. I love rivalry games where the teams really hate each other. I wish we had a true rival. Maybe someday if we get a good coach and can knock off Penn State a few times it could happen

Iowa State has a clue offensively, it's a rivalry game, and they usually play Iowa tough. Iowa may "not be that good", but they do actually block people, something RU hasn't done the entire time Ash has been here.

Which means Rutgers offense is really bad, unable to move the ball against them.

Flipping around to lots of different games today, it is so clear just how much we fuggin suck at offensive American Football. Every single power 5 team looks light years ahead of us.

I do think our defense is decent enough though.

Iowa has a bye week next week. Then, they play Middle Tennessee, when you folks play Michigan.

Iowa State will be a competitive team in Big 12. Very solid and experienced defense.

Reactions: GolfHacker1
Hey, lets al be nice, Iowa fans help us secure the national punter of the week award with their solid defensive play, then their fans helped us too!

Reactions: LC-88 and RUTrack94
That is a huge rivalry game out there and the premise of this thread is BS.
Agreed this has nothing to do with how bad we played on Offense last week though we did play poorly. The premise of this thread is plain wrong.

The first Cyclone TD was a double pass. Great play call but a trick play. The second TD was a misdirection play and the Iowa D was confused for a long TD. Two nice plays does not mean Iowa D is bad. In fact they played very well on the road and came away with a W. Iowa State has won 9 in a row at home heading into yesterday. Big win for Iowa as boring as they are to watch.

Reactions: RURM85 and RM60
In the last 2 weeks , Iowa has played Rutgers and Iowa St. Some commonalities:

Both Ash and Matt Campbell took over their respective teams at end of 2015 for the 2016 season, Ash at RU, Campbell at Iowa St. Previous to RU, Ash was the Co - Def Coord at Ohio St,, Campbell the Head Coach at Toledo. Both were taking over bad teams. In 2015 RU was. 4-8, 1-7 in conference and in 2015 Iowa St was 3-9 , 2-7 in Conference.

Since then, this is the trend of Ash and Campbell at RU and ISU

2016. Ash 2-10, 0-9 in conference , Campbell 3-9, 2-7 in Conference

2017- Ash 4-8, 3-6 in Conference, Campbell 8-5, 5-4 in Conference, plus a Win in the Liberty Bowl

2018 Ash 1-11, 0-9 in Conference, Campbell 8-5, 6-3 in Conference , plus a Loss in the Alamo Bowl

2019 Ash 1-1 w a 30-0 loss to Iowa, Iowa St 1-1 with a 18-17 Loss to Iowa

I think it's pretty obvious who made the better pick in late 2015. I got to think Campbell's prior successful experience as a Head Coach at Toledo (35-15) prepared him well.

I hope the next RU Head Coach, whenever that decision is needed, has some experience as a Head Coach. Even if it is from G5 (Campbell) or FCS for that matter.

In the last 2 weeks , Iowa has played Rutgers and Iowa St. Some commonalities:

Both Ash and Matt Campbell took over their respective teams at end of 2015 for the 2016 season, Ash at RU, Campbell at Iowa St. Previous to RU, Ash was the Co - Def Coord at Ohio St,, Campbell the Head Coach at Toledo. Both were taking over bad teams. In 2015 RU was. 4-8, 1-7 in conference and in 2015 Iowa St was 3-9 , 2-7 in Conference.

Since then, this is the trend of Ash and Campbell at RU and ISU

2016. Ash 2-10, 0-9 in conference , Campbell 3-9, 2-7 in Conference

2017- Ash 4-8, 3-6 in Conference, Campbell 8-5, 5-4 in Conference, plus a Win in the Liberty Bowl

2018 Ash 1-11, 0-9 in Conference, Campbell 8-5, 6-3 in Conference , plus a Loss in the Alamo Bowl

2019 Ash 1-1 w a 30-0 loss to Iowa, Iowa St 1-1 with a 18-17 Loss to Iowa

I think it's pretty obvious who made the better pick in late 2015. I got to think Campbell's prior successful experience as a Head Coach at Toledo (35-15) prepared him well.

I hope the next RU Head Coach, whenever that decision is needed, has some experience as a Head Coach. Even if it is from G5 (Campbell) or FCS for that matter.
Oh golly, here we go again.
Explain Justin Fuentes, Chip Kelly, and a litany of other HC's who failed on their next step.

Foolish people worried more about Liberty University than they are about reality.

Iowa will be o.k.

Maybe another disappointing 9 win season, but Iowa will be o.k.

They live in reality in that state.

Reactions: Yeah Baby
Oh golly, here we go again.
Explain Justin Fuentes, Chip Kelly, and a litany of other HC's who failed on their next step.

It is way too early to write off either Fuentes or Kelly. Way too early. Fuentes still took his Va Tech teams to Bowl games every year he has been there. Kelly is in game 2 of year 2. He just hasn't found a QB. yet. I expect a transfer to arrive in LA for next season. I also remember Pete Carrol, Bill Belichek, Nick Saban, and Lou Holtz, having success, failing at other Head Coaching jobs, and then having success elsewhere. Also why I think Schiano could yet find Head Coaching success somewhere else .

Speaking of Schiano, I had an idea.. I've been hard on Hobbs for hiring Ash. And been saying he shouldn't hire the next coach as he had no Football experience before arriving at RU, on any level, at any capacity. BUT Hobbs has been a very good fundraiser, and good at identifying the Olympic Sports replacement coachs.
IF Hobbs retains his AD position , and is in power to pick the next coach, and it isn't going to be Schiano... how about Paying Schiano to help Hobbs identify possible candidates for the next Head Coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
It is way too early to write off either Fuentes or Kelly. Way too early. Fuentes still took his Va Tech teams to Bowl games every year he has been there. Kelly is in game 2 of year 2. He just hasn't found a QB. yet. I expect a transfer to arrive in LA for next season. I also remember Pete Carrol, Bill Belichek, Nick Saban, and Lou Holtz, having success, failing at other Head Coaching jobs, and then having success elsewhere. Also why I think Schiano could yet find Head Coaching success somewhere else .

Speaking of Schiano, I had an idea.. I've been hard on Hobbs for hiring Ash. And been saying he shouldn't hire the next coach as he had no Football experience before arriving at RU, on any level, at any capacity. BUT Hobbs has been a very good fundraiser, and good at identifying the Olympic Sports replacement coachs.
IF Hobbs retains his AD position , and is in power to pick the next coach, and it isn't going to be Schiano... how about Paying Schiano to help Hobbs identify possible candidates for the next Head Coach.
Not a terrible idea, but sometimes in those situations, a person making recommendations might be inclined to recommend his buddies. Not saying that is what Schiano would do, but that could put Greg in a difficult position if it ever leaked out who he recommended. Could piss a lot of people off.

I am going to tag my tag team wrestling partner @rutgersguy1 to chime in on experienced coaches who have failed. As he likes to say--there is no exact science.

That is not to say that RU should not hire an experienced coach. Actually, I think it improves the chances of success. We have seen with Chris Ash that he has made many stumbles as a first time head coach. That is partly because of his lack of experience, but also partly in that he does not appear to be head coach material.

Reactions: Abro1975

It would be like Dick Chaney helping GWB pick his VP

Not a terrible idea, but sometimes in those situations, a person making recommendations might be inclined to recommend his buddies. Not saying that is what Schiano would do, but that could put Greg in a difficult position if it ever leaked out who he recommended. Could piss a lot of people off.

I am going to tag my tag team wrestling partner @rutgersguy1 to chime in on experienced coaches who have failed. As he likes to say--there is no exact science.

That is not to say that RU should not hire an experienced coach. Actually, I think it improves the chances of success. We have seen with Chris Ash that he has made many stumbles as a first time head coach. That is partly because of his lack of experience, but also partly in that he does not appear to be head coach material.

His recommendation doesn't have to be taken, but I think his input could be of value. Beside paying him, one would think he still feels some attachment to the program he built. IMO, a parameter of prior HC experience should be paramount (no more career Assistants).

As for Greg helping pick Ash's replacement,
I believe RU has had respected HCes help before.
Didn't Bill Walsh recommend Shea and Urban Meyer point Hobbs to Ash?

I'm sure Greg would recommend someone who he thought could succeed at Rutgers , but so did Bill & Urban and look at how hiring their choices work out.

Better look for a butthead HC who recommends someone they know don't take the RU HC position.
Then Hobbs should hire that one.
Hiring Greg after Paterno recommended Greg don't take the RU job if offered worked out great for RU.[banana]:cool2:[roll][roll]

As for Greg helping pick Ash's replacement,
I believe RU has had respected HCes help before.
Didn't Bill Walsh recommend Shea and Urban Meyer point Hobbs to Ash?

I'm sure Greg would recommend someone who he thought could succeed at Rutgers , but so did Bill & Urban and look at how hiring their choices work out.

Better look for a butthead HC who recommends someone they know don't take the RU HC position.
Then Hobbs should hire that one.
Hiring Greg after Paterno recommended Greg don't take the RU job if offered worked out great for RU.[banana]:cool2:[roll][roll]

Walsh and Meyer had neither the attachment that Schiano has to RU nor the insight of how what it might take to actually succeed in recruiting at RU. I doubt that Walsh and Meyer ever spent more than 2 consectutive nights in NJ in their lives. Schiano grew up in NJ, and built the RU football program from scratch w the help of Bob Mulcahy. Schiano is very uniquely qualified in that regard.

His recommendation doesn't have to be taken, but I think his input could be of value. Beside paying him, one would think he still feels some attachment to the program he built. IMO, a parameter of prior HC experience should be paramount (no more career Assistants).
I absolutely agree on the experience.
Candidates high on my list (and they have been debated), and in no particular order.
Butch Jones (even though the Alabama guy hates him)
Joe Moorhead
Narduzzi (if he wants to come here)
Jeff Monken--not if he wants to run the option though
Mike Norvell at Memphis
Luke Fickel
Jim McElwain
Chris Creighton (EMU- 3-0 against B1G)
Jason Candle
Jay Norvell
Beau Baldwin
Kalen DeBoer

Lance Leipold is intriguing, but would want to see how this year plays out for him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT