ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Start Time - 9/24?

TrueRU

Senior
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
Is this something that will get announced ahead of time, or are we looking a the dreaded 2 week TV window before that game to get it announced?

Are any other night games out of the question? Thinking Michigan (and longshot for Iowa) could be a night game?
Michigan is already scheduled as a night game - 7 or 8PM start.

Currently, the only home games that we don't have starting times for are Iowa on 9/24 and Indiana on 11/5.

Michigan is already scheduled as a night game - 7 or 8PM start.

Currently, the only home games that we don't have starting times for are Iowa on 9/24 and Indiana on 11/5.
Dear Mr. Moderator, can you or the powers that be update the schedule on this page?
Oct 8

vs
70x70_mmk.1.png

Michigan
Time: TBD

Three September noon starts in a row will be the final straw for me.
There will be eight 50 yard line seats available next year if this happens.

Half of our 8 seats are for people who cannot be there at noon on most Saturdays.
Why should they continue to buy season tickets if a majority of our home games are going to start at noon?
Refusing to continue to buy tickets you cannot use isn't being soft.
It is facing the reality that the TV networks pay the money the conferences/teams care about
while the season ticket buying public takes a back seat.
I personally love a breakfast tailgate but it hardly seems worth the work if we only have four people.
Sometimes the extra tickets can be given away, and sometimes those people join us.
But it creates a lot of uncertainty during the week of a noon start which makes planning the tailgate problematic.
Too many times tickets are wasted for noon starts. Go ahead and find people clamoring to see Rutgers vs. Howard or Morgan State
at noon on a hot Sept Saturday. Even Rutgers has trouble giving those tickets away
Even New Mexico is not going to generate much interest.
I didn't mind that when I was paying Big East prices but when you are wasting $100 tickets it is too much
So you can question my fandom all you want but it seems there are thousands of us out here
as Rutgers fails to sell out a medium size stadium with season ticket holders

Seven home games. Two unknown start times. Three noon starts. PSU and Michigan at night.
So we could end up with as many as 5 noon starts. For us, the great atmosphere of PSU and Michigan
don't justify the waste and hassle of all the noon starts.

If you don't think noon starts dampen ticket sales you are soft, in the head.

Last edited:
Half of our 8 seats are for people who cannot be there at noon on most Saturdays.
Why should they continue to buy season tickets if a majority of our home games are going to start at noon?
It is facing the reality that the TV networks pay the money the conferences/teams care about
I personally love a breakfast tailgate but it hardly seems worth the work if we only have four people.
Sometimes the extra tickets can be given away, and sometimes those people join us.
But it creates a lot of uncertainty during the week of a noon start which makes planning the tailgate problematic.
Too many times tickets are wasted for noon starts. Go ahead and find people clamoring to see Rutgers vs. Howard or Morgan State
at noon on a hot Sept Saturday. Even Rutgers has trouble giving those tickets away
I didn't mind that when I was paying Big East prices but when you are wasting $100 tickets it is too much
So you can question my fandom all you want but it seems there are thousands of us out here

Seven home games. Two unknown start times. Three noon starts. PSU and Michigan at night.
So we could end up with as many as 5 noon starts. For us, the great atmosphere of PSU and Michigan

And this, in a nutshell, is why our fan base is small time.

You shouldve known going into the B1G that noon kickoffs would be the norm. At least we aren't in the middle of the country and have 11a starts.

Reactions: Virginiarufan
Noon starts stink , especially in the heat in early September . But it's sure as hell better than playing a 6 pm game on espn3 against a Uconn or smu. We are in the BIG and not because we really earned it , but because where we are on a tv coverage map . So enjoy it that we are not relegated to a second rate league . We are the fat , balding guy with a crappy job that landed the hot prom queen . So we have to deal with some noon starts , enjoy it .

Reactions: ScarletKid2008

Historically the BigTen has been a noon start league.

Reactions: needmorecowbell
Not really sure why motor is getting so much crap for this, all he said is noon starts don't work for his group so it makes no sense to keep wasting money on something that doesn't get used. Seems like logical reasoning, not "small time fandom"

Noon starts stink , especially in the heat in early September . But it's sure as hell better than playing a 6 pm game on espn3 against a Uconn or smu. We are in the BIG because we really earned it. So enjoy it that we are not relegated to a second rate league. So we have to deal with some noon starts , enjoy it .

Fixed it for you.

I'm sick of our own fans who fall for the crap from biased reporters and our former so-called conference brethren. You know damn well we have been working towards a Big Ten invite for decades and we finally got in based on becoming a respectable football program (thanks Greg) in addition to a great university that fits the Big Ten mold that just happens to be in the number 1 media market. I will adjust my schedule to make it to noon games.

Reactions: eceres
Noon starts aren't the best but I don't get the angst.

most NFL games since the dawn of man start at 1 which isn't much different.

Whats the big deal?

Not really sure why motor is getting so much crap for this, all he said is noon starts don't work for his group so it makes no sense to keep wasting money on something that doesn't get used. Seems like logical reasoning, not "small time fandom"
Yep, I agree with this and don't understand why people are ragging on him. I know this is an issue with some members of my tailgate.

I tried to tell people 3 years ago that the.big ten you will typically have half of your games at noon

This should not come at a shock

I'm sure Rutgers brass is whispering for this one to be at 3:30...but it's going to be call for the tv network

And this, in a nutshell, is why our fan base is small time.

Hey jim, how many tickets are you buying that you cannot use?
Since you are a big time fan you should buy several extra season tickets and just throw them out
to show your support for the program.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Fixed it for you.

I'm sick of our own fans who fall for the crap from biased reporters and our former so-called conference brethren. You know damn well we have been working towards a Big Ten invite for decades and we finally got in based on becoming a respectable football program (thanks Greg) in addition to a great university that fits the Big Ten mold that just happens to be in the number 1 media market. I will adjust my schedule to make it to noon games.

You didn't need to . I know how lucky we are to be in the BIG . So I can live with some noon games in a premiere conference.

3 years ago I walked into a relatively big game, Texas tech at "big time" west Virginia, right before the 12:00 kickoff and passed LOTS in full tail gating mode. The stadium filled up late 1st/early 2nd, just like is typical at RU.
I was paying close attention because of how it typically is at Rutgers and I was surprised to see it at wvu.

We will have officially made it to big time college football when everyone is in their seats before the noon kickoffs at HPSS
And that will happen right after they start issuing ice skates in Hades.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT