ADVERTISEMENT

Is Anyone Cooler Than The Rutgers Cannon Guys In College Football

What would be cool is if they had a guest person to fire the cannon at the opening of game. Maybe bring in the McCourtys for a game each, Brian Leonard for a game, Pacheco, etc. Maybe it would get fans in seats early. Make it an event where the knight on horse comes in early, hands a sword to the guest of the day, gets the crowd cheering, while horse trots off (horse near cannon not good), then guest fires cannon w cannon crew, team runs out on field, etc.

What would be cool is if they had a guest person to fire the cannon at the opening of game. Maybe bring in the McCourtys for a game each, Brian Leonard for a game, Pacheco, etc. Maybe it would get fans in seats early. Make it an event where the knight on horse comes in early, hands a sword to the guest of the day, gets the crowd cheering, while horse trots off (horse near cannon not good), then guest fires cannon w cannon crew, team runs out on field, etc.
GIF by Snowpiercer on TNT

• Haha
Reactions: DirtyRU
So much WRONG in that interview. Logan Ryan doesn't even remember the canon being fired when he was here? WTH?

I knew a guy who was one of the guys who went to pick up that canon at a foundry.. maybe in PA?... and it was maybe the late 70s or early 80s...

It might be a very cool thing to do but a dangerous one the Crew would never allow. During the 250th celebration down at Old Queens, the crew fired off the cannon but not before some idiots stood 30 yards in front of it so they could take a "nice picture." No one fires it without a lot of years experience doing it. The Second Regiment, Middlesex County Militia oversees its firing and they even have activation papers from the Governor of New Jersey that affiliates it with the National Guard.

It is a gift from the Rutgers Class of 1949 and was suppose to be ready for the 1969 Centennial Football Celebration. But it wouldn't be until October 23, 1971 that it rolled into Rutgers Stadium and was first fired at the Rutgers-Columbia game.

As RU fans we often take the canon crew and tradition for granted, and it's not until the canon blast is shown in the intro of so many national broadcasts that you begin to appreciate it.

When I (finally) graduated a few years ago, I got to take a photo with a member of the cannon crew next to the cannon while I held the ram and wearing my cap and gown... Something that means a lot to me.

Reactions: RW90
So much WRONG in that interview. Logan Ryan doesn't even remember the canon being fired when he was here? WTH?

I knew a guy who was one of the guys who went to pick up that canon at a foundry.. maybe in PA?... and it was maybe the late 70s or early 80s...
We have had a game or two where we were on the verge of being shut out and the visiting fans chanted, shoot the cannon

• Sad
Reactions: rurichdog
It might be a very cool thing to do but a dangerous one the Crew would never allow. During the 250th celebration down at Old Queens, the crew fired off the cannon but not before some idiots stood 30 yards in front of it so they could take a "nice picture." No one fires it without a lot of years experience doing it. The Second Regiment, Middlesex County Militia oversees its firing and they even have activation papers from the Governor of New Jersey that affiliates it with the National Guard.

It is a gift from the Rutgers Class of 1949 and was suppose to be ready for the 1969 Centennial Football Celebration. But it wouldn't be until October 23, 1971 that it rolled into Rutgers Stadium and was first fired at the Rutgers-Columbia game.
I’m sure something could be figured out.

I’m mean it’s not like a cannon ball is coming out of it.

Reactions: BigRnj

How about a variant to it then… the cannon crew stays by themselves in current corner of end zone, knight on horse trots in and heads toward cannon, stops, pulls sword out and points to cannon crew, then darts back across field toward student end zone corner, hands guest star the sword, guest leads students in RU cheer, guest points sword toward cannon corner. Cannon crew fires cannon, and team runs out on field

they should build a platform and elevate the cannon on the second level for more visibility and remove the noise problems with those nearby (visiting teams section) ..alos to start the game have a guest shoot off the first cannon similar to other venues.... ie - patriots have the light tower bell, vikings have the horn ....

When the canon was on the hill they used to shoot over opponent's bench... a shocking punctuation to a Rutgers TD.

Maybe the recruiting lounge platform? shoot UP a bit more? Elevate the barrel?

Two years late? Sounds about right.

one of the best traditions in college football and we never hear about it on media or the like.

RU needs to promote the hell out of this!!!!!!!

Reactions: RU_87
I’m sure something could be figured out. I’m mean it’s not like a cannon ball is coming out of it.
According to the September 24, 1976 Targum, “Against William & Mary last year, Mary Ann Peterson ran across the field to count down the touchdown points when the cannon went off in front of her. She had to be hospitalized for minor injuries.”

Now if you really want to see something cool with the Cannon Crew that doesn't involve firing the cannon... next time you are at a Rutgers home game (like tomorrow!) and they ask you to stand for the National Anthem, cast your eyes down to the Cannon Crew.

While the fans stand and any military people salute, the Cannon Crew will place their left foot slightly ahead of the right. The right hand will remove the tri-corner hat and both arms will be held wide and slightly behind their torso.

Why do they do that? They are honoring the flag -- with a 1776 style military salute!

If you met any of the cannon crew, cool wouldn't be the best description. Dedicated, a bit nerdy, (like me) a bit long in the years, fun to get to know. However, what they do is very cool and they are very professional at what they do.

You’re take this too literally (the “shooter need not be trained”)… the Celeb Cannon Shooter can wear a tri-corner hat and instruct the cannon crew with “Ready Aim FIRE” followed by the fight song and/or RU chant. It could be a cool tradition (like the purdue drum or the Minnesota Vikings horn).

This would be better than the current celeb RU chant.

PS - Source … Love your content … keep it coming

You’re take this too literally (the “shooter need not be trained”)… the Celeb Cannon Shooter can wear a tri-corner hat and instruct the cannon crew with “Ready Aim FIRE” followed by the fight song and/or RU chant. It could be a cool tradition (like the purdue drum or the Minnesota Vikings horn).

This would be better than the current celeb RU chant.

PS - Source … Love your content … keep it coming
He is right that no one trained for that stuff would be allowed nearby. As I said they are very professional. They don't do it any other way. You may think that's a silly rule. They do not.

According to the September 24, 1976 Targum, “Against William & Mary last year, Mary Ann Peterson ran across the field to count down the touchdown points when the cannon went off in front of her. She had to be hospitalized for minor injuries.”
Ginger wouldn’t have done that.

But seriously, the “celebrity” in this case is obviously going to be behind the cannon and as @BigRnj says, doesn’t have to do anything other than being there.

Reactions: BigRnj
He is right that no one trained for that stuff would be allowed nearby. As I said they are very professional. They don't do it any other way. You may think that's a silly rule. They do not.
You’re missing my point. I realize and agree a non-trained person would not and should not be the literal shooter. However the celebrity can be the “superior officer” directing the crew with Ready Aim Fire. Once again this could be a cool tradition. TV coverage always shows this kind of thing … it would be a Rutgers Trademark IMHO.

Reactions: RU848789
I saw Army score 8 TDs vs Wake Forest in 2021.
Saw enough push-ups and cannons fired to last a long time

That's a really good idea...

i think the West Point pre-game parachute team is cooler, if they still do that. Then Ralphie the Buffalo. Cannon guys take home the bronze. Nothing wrong with 3rd place. Just ask Snapple.

Last edited:
You’re missing my point. I realize and agree a non-trained person would not and should not be the literal shooter. However the celebrity can be the “superior officer” directing the crew with Ready Aim Fire. Once again this could be a cool tradition. TV coverage always shows this kind of thing … it would be a Rutgers Trademark IMHO.
Exactly - we're talking about a ceremonial role, not an operational one - I assumed that was obvious.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT