ADVERTISEMENT

Is Rutgers football becoming a top Big 10 program?

jaywillbee

Redshirt
May 10, 2003
I have a healthy respect for how difficult it would be to raise the team’s talent level to that of the top teams in the expanded conference, however there’s no denying that recruits are buying into the program in a big way and momentum appears to be on our side (where is all this NIL money coming from!?). Is it conceivable that Rutgers is now on a path where top 15 recruiting classes become the norm and over the next few years we climb into to the top echelon of the Big 10?

Last edited:
I think right now a lot of top recruits who will eventually headed for top teams are holding back looking for NIL stuff. The top teams have suspiciously low recruiting tally right now.

RU has (Rivals) 22 players with 3 stars and OSU has 0 - Bama has 2.
Obviously that will be changing.
RU can be a team players take early and then drop if they get a better offer.
June is way early to be flexing imo

I have a healthy respect for how difficult it would be to raise the team’s talent level to that of the top teams in the expanded conference, however there’s no denying that recruits are buying into the program in a big way and momentum appears to be on our side (where is all this NIL money coming from!?). Is it conceivable that Rutgers is now on a path where top 15 recruiting classes become the norm and over the next few years we climb into to the top echelon of the Big 10?
This recruiting class will wind up close to last years, in the mid 30s or so
If we win , lets say eight games this season, if being really optimistic, I can see us nabbing more 4stars next year, maybe moving into mid to upper 20s at the end of that recruiting cycle
I really thing we did address some big needs this year, which you cannot fully measure by just looking at the number of stars

Reactions: PSU_Nut
I think right now a lot of top recruits who will eventually headed for top teams are holding back looking for NIL stuff. The top teams have suspiciously low recruiting tally right now.

Good point about the top recruits waiting. This class is solid but I doubt it ends up a Top 10. I do think Rivals has the class underrated. ESPN 300 has 3 with 4*.

To reach a Top 10 program you need a class like this every year. Classes this good in the past have been outliers, with subsequent classes not as strong.

Reactions: ashokan

Some of what you say is true even before NIL. Those teams you mention except Alabama always had almost guaranteed commits sitting - waiting . Could we have a few flip of course. But this is Schiano who by no accident has somehow managed to see another side to this recruiting cycle. The HC and his staff offer these recruits more than just NIL $$$$$’s.

Good point about the top recruits waiting. This class is solid but I doubt it ends up a Top 10. I do think Rivals has the class underrated. ESPN 300 has 3 with 4*.

To reach a Top 10 program you need a class like this every year. Classes this good in the past have been outliers, with subsequent classes not as strong.
And widely quoted / recognized Rivals competitor 247 sports has Rutgers with four 4 stars

Rutgers has climbed up to be a "solid" B1G team...

And what I really like about the current recruiting class is that it is loaded on the high level 3 stars. These are the kids that will usually bust their asses, have great talent and not come in as a prima donna.
And- they build such a solid foundation and depth. There really aren't any reaches.

I would like to see AK have a solid year and at least 1 of our WR's with 60+ catches. Those two things could really open up the eyes of the next set of recruits.

Rutgers has climbed up to be a "solid" B1G team...

And what I really like about the current recruiting class is that it is loaded on the high level 3 stars. These are the kids that will usually bust their asses, have great talent and not come in as a prima donna.
And- they build such a solid foundation and depth. There really aren't any reaches.

I would like to see AK have a solid year and at least 1 of our WR's with 60+ catches. Those two things could really open up the eyes of the next set of recruits.
In re watching the spring game it really is quite noticeable that Athan ‘ s delivery was smoother, more decisive and the trajectory of his short to medium range throws showed his release and the ball’s nose pointing in a more downward arc. Just a novice take..

...well.. .why the FU&$ not ????? if our trajectory is upward right now, it could happen. We all want it, and top UNIVERSITY in size, location, options, opportunities, etc.... Shit, i believe it "could" happen.

AK
In re watching the spring game it really is quite noticeable that Athan ‘ s delivery was smoother, more decisive and the trajectory of his short to medium range throws showed his release and the ball’s nose pointing in a more downward arc. Just a novice take..
AK does seem to have a more natural and quicker release than GW. With a little help from the OC, OL and guys making catches he could have an efficient season.
He could have a great season throwing and not have many TD’s as long as the RB’s can finish drives from inside the 10.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Rutgers FB Lifetime Results in the BIG 10

2014 ... 8-5 ... 3-5 ... 3 B1G wins
2015 ... 4-8 ... 1-7 ... 1 B1G wins
2016 ... 2-10 ... 0-9 ... 0 B1G wins
2017 ... 4-8 ... 3-6 ... 3 B1G wins
2018 ... 1-11 ... 0-9 ...0 B1G wins
2019 ... 2-10 ... 0-9 ... 0 B1G wins
2020 ... 3-6 ... 3-6 ... 3 B1G wins
2021 ... 5-8 ... 2-7 ... 2 B1G wins
2022 ... 4-8 ... 1-8 ... 1 B1G wins
2023 ... 7-6 ... 3-6 ... 3 B1G wins

Only 16 Big Ten wins in 10 Big Ten seasons for an average conference win rate of 1.6 wins per season. We have yet to exceed 3 Big Ten wins, or a mere third of our conference games, in any season.

Y'all can view it however you want. But I'm not gonna start declaring us a top-ten, or even top-half, Big Ten team until we win over half our conference games for several seasons in a row. To do so sooner seems premature, and a little lame in a participation-trophy-esque way to me.

IMO, it's far better to play big than talk big.

...well.. .why the FU&$ not ????? if our trajectory is upward right now, it could happen. We all want it, and top UNIVERSITY in size, location, options, opportunities, etc.... Shit, i believe it "could" happen.
It can
And absolutely should

Rutgers FB Lifetime Results in the BIG 10

2014 ... 8-5 ... 3-5 ... 3 B1G wins
2015 ... 4-8 ... 1-7 ... 1 B1G wins
2016 ... 2-10 ... 0-9 ... 0 B1G wins
2017 ... 4-8 ... 3-6 ... 3 B1G wins
2018 ... 1-11 ... 0-9 ...0 B1G wins
2019 ... 2-10 ... 0-9 ... 0 B1G wins
2020 ... 3-6 ... 3-6 ... 3 B1G wins
2021 ... 5-8 ... 2-7 ... 2 B1G wins
2022 ... 4-8 ... 1-8 ... 1 B1G wins
2023 ... 7-6 ... 3-6 ... 3 B1G wins

Only 16 Big Ten wins in 10 Big Ten seasons for an average conference win rate of 1.6 wins per season. We have yet to exceed 3 Big Ten wins, or a mere third of our conference games, in any season.

Y'all can view it however you want. But I'm not gonna start declaring us a top-ten, or even top-half, Big Ten team until we win over half our conference games for several seasons in a row. To do so sooner seems premature, and a little lame in a participation-trophy-esque way to me.

IMO, it's far better to play big than talk big.
This is true but we also played the best 3 and sometimes 4 or 5 best teams in the conference every year. Seemed every year our cross division matchup was with the West champion.

OSU, UM, PSU and for a little while MSU were top 10 teams every year.

It all starts with consecutive years of good recruiting classes, filling current position needs with experienced players, good coaching, and winning more games going forward to get to an elite national football program,

This is true but we also played the best 3 and sometimes 4 or 5 best teams in the conference every year. Seemed every year our cross division matchup was with the West champion.

This^^^^A part of the conversation really does have to be that every single year- the best we could actually hope for was 4 conf wins at best.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I listened to “The Rutgers Rant” podcast on NJ.com the other day. They had Todderick Hunt, the football recruiting analyst on. He thinks the 2025 class looks very good and could be one of the top 2 or 3 classes to date at RU. Said they will have to hold on until Dec. Believes it could end up in the #20-25 range nationally. Said a number of their 3 star players could be upgraded to 4 stars in the fall. He thinks it reflects the hard work the staff has put in over the last 4 years building relationships and the better on field performance recently.

AK

AK does seem to have a more natural and quicker release than GW. With a little help from the OC, OL and guys making catches he could have an efficient season.
He could have a great season throwing and not have many TD’s as long as the RB’s can finish drives from inside the 10.
Well , he threw very well in spring …. several poor throws but all can see the accuracy issue led to his starting status. A productive OL and WR - TE Corp heals all. Oh did I say a top running game ?😜

We've had tough schedules, no doubt. But that's part of playing in the Big Ten East. And we've added some good teams so I'm not so sure the competition level is really going to be all that much easier, most years, now that it's all one big conference. We'll have to wait and see.

Reactions: bac2therac
What I found interesting and very positive is reading the comments from the 2025 commits. Almost everyone of them credited their commitment to Greg, the staff but also the overall attitudes of the current players and mostly to the total environment which Greg has created. Many of top recruits had a long list of Power 4 offers, but chose RU over them.

Why not? The collective doesn’t generate enough money. There is a reason Tennessee has 20 4&5 star recruits in Knoxville right now for OV’s because the volunteer club gets people to open their wallets

We've had tough schedules, no doubt. But that's part of playing in the Big Ten East. And we've added some good teams so I'm not so sure the competition level is really going to be all that much easier, most years, now that it's all one big conference. We'll have to wait and see.
It is this year, for sure. The best team we'll face will be maybe USC or Virginia tech according to preseason rankings. I doubt Washington is going to be a top 25 team after losing a lot of players and their head coach.

Reactions: Kbee3
In the B1G East- outside of PSU/Mich/OSU
In the last 3 years- only once has a team been +.500 in conf. That was MSU in 21..,

That is just nasty…

This recruiting class will wind up close to last years, in the mid 30s or so
If we win , lets say eight games this season, if being really optimistic, I can see us nabbing more 4stars next year, maybe moving into mid to upper 20s at the end of that recruiting cycle
I really thing we did address some big needs this year, which you cannot fully measure by just looking at the number of stars

And that good class of ours last year ranked 9th out of 14 B1G teams. This year's class is good and going to get better but its an average B1G class, which is fine. If we consistently get classes like this and retain the better players we will do well.

Reactions: bac2therac
Way to go out on a limb there. Are you sure you don't wanna re--think that ?
Perhaps you're just another member of the "When we win I'll say we can win" club.
I read that three times and still have no idea what you’re talking about.

And that good class of ours last year ranked 9th out of 14 B1G teams. This year's class is good and going to get better but its an average B1G class, which is fine. If we consistently get classes like this and retain the better players we will do well.
What usually kills us is depth. It seems our coaches have proven to coach kids up and last year we hung with the big boys with walkons, 2 star and mid to low 3 star.
This class is full of mid 3 and up. And the difference between a 5.7 to being a 4 star can easily just be measurables or attention…a 5.7 is closer to a 4 star than a 5.4 is to a 5.7

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT