ADVERTISEMENT

Is this play the loudest noise in Rutgers Stadium/HPSS history?

Nothing beats Rutgers defeating Louisville when both teams were undefeated.

I know that's a memory we all look back on, but there's no way Louisville was louder than that Michigan game. It may seem that way looking back because of all the excitement, but there are thousands more in the stadium for the Michigan game and the stadium is completely enclosed, keeping more of the noise in.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
While the Michigan game was very loud, I think the PSU game in 2014 was louder. Two moments in the PSU game (the Nova touchdown and the blocked field goal) were crazy.

The top 3 loudest that I've been to are:

1) RU/PSU 2014
2) RU/Louisville 2006
3) RU/MIchigan 2014

While the Michigan game was very loud, I think the PSU game in 2014 was louder. Two moments in the PSU game (the Nova touchdown and the blocked field goal) were crazy.

The top 3 loudest that I've been to are:

1) RU/PSU 2014
2) RU/Louisville 2006
3) RU/MIchigan 2014

Have to agree... Rutgers Penn State was the loudest... 2/3 are a toss up like other posters have mentioned due to the excitement.

That was vey loud, but I still think it was louder vs Louisville

The OP specified HPSS; was the 2006 Louisville game part of HPSS or prior to? Just nit picking. The Michigan game may have been loudest from start to finish, but the 4thQ belonged to the L'ville game. One particular playfrom my memory was the swing pass to Brian Leonard down the sideline to keep the 4thQ going. Thrilling and deafening.

I know that's a memory we all look back on, but there's no way Louisville was louder than that Michigan game. It may seem that way looking back because of all the excitement, but there are thousands more in the stadium for the Michigan game and the stadium is completely enclosed, keeping more of the noise in.
Incorrect Louisville game was louder the stadium was literally rocking

Reactions: Scangg
The louisville coaches said the players could not hear snapcount.

The fake FG TD against Louisville in 2012 was extremely loud. Would have pretty much locked up a BCS bowl. It was nuts, until we saw the yellow flag on the field.

The upper deck in 208 was literally bouncing!!!
The noise level was deafening!!!
Was at all games and nothing can compare to he decibels that night ! They were pent up waiting to EXPLODE for years! The energy noise levels reached that night may never be achieved again!
You just can't replicate the feeling of "we have arrived"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Uh Oh just realized I didn't state which game I was talking about.... The Louisville game of course

Last edited:
I would think a couple of plays in the 2014 PSU game or the Michigan play in the OP may have been the loudest moments but the 2006 game- start to finish(including the first half) was the loudest 3.5 hrs in Rutgers history. Would love to know from some players in here what the loudest games or moments were that they experienced and compare to the current stadium. Which, btw, I believe is the loudest by numbers stadium in the country. Our stadium holds noise in like crazy. 2006 Ville game would have been much louder with the new stadium

I was on the field for RU v Louisville and many other games from 2005-2009. Rutgers v Louisville was one of the loudest games I remember from the sidelines. The field itself was vibrating pretty strongly at times from the noise, could feel it even when I was not particularly near the student section (could really feel it there).

That whole RU v Louisville evening was just kind of insane from the get go. The air just felt alive/electric, one of the most surreal experiences I've had. Normally I'm always even keel, very calm, not excitable at all. That night you couldn't help but feel the energy.

For the record I don't remember having that ground shaking feeling on the field ever since they moved the student section to the new endzone :( I think the construction dampens that or something.

It has been a while though, memory is a fickle thing.

Reactions: Rutgers8086
No question the 2006 Louisville game was the loudest. Other loud game included USF 2009, 2014 PSU and Michigan. I only recall 2009 since my tinnitus started the next day.

Reactions: Scangg
Ryan Neil's pick six against Michigan state in 2004 was the FIRST true eruption in stadium history

The initial roar on Brian Leonard's screen pass on 3rd down on the final 2006 UL drive as he approaches the open field was the loudest roar until the next play where rice broke the next play off for 30 yards

In the expanded stadium The next five loudest in no oarricular order were
Grants punt return vs Arkansas in 2013
Nova td scramble against penn state in 2014
The turizelli td catch against Michigan in 2014
The nova scramble td to tsimis ih 2014 Michigan
The turay block fg against Michigan in 2014

These are all great... But it really makes me miss those days. I know it's just a matter of time until the game experience is there again.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Ryan Neil's pick six against Michigan state in 2004 was the FIRST true eruption in stadium history

The initial roar on Brian Leonard's screen pass on 3rd down on the final 2006 UL drive as he approaches the open field was the loudest roar until the next play where rice broke the next play off for 30 yards

In the expanded stadium The next five loudest in no oarricular order were
Grants punt return vs Arkansas in 2013
Nova td scramble against penn state in 2014
The turizelli td catch against Michigan in 2014
The nova scramble td to tsimis ih 2014 Michigan
The turay block fg against Michigan in 2014

Nailed it with this post.

Joe P.

Was not in the building for Louisville 2006, so can't compare... of the games I've been to, I'd rank these as overall loudest (not one particular play, but from cannon to cannon):

2014 - PA St (53,774)
2014 - Michigan (53,327)
2013 - Arkansas (51,969)

Watching on TV, Louisville certainly seemed crazily loud, though (44,111)... but I would imagine that the closed endzone and an additional 8-10K people would have increased the overall decibel level.

Loudest I have ever heard the stadium is when Nova scored against PSU in 2014. Listen to the TV version.

Only to be juxtaposed by the bewildered silence after stupid pick #5.

Seriously couldn't wait for Nova to leave after that game no matter what he did the rest of his career.

There is one game that matters most every year. One.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Only to be juxtaposed by the bewildered silence after stupid pick #5.

Seriously couldn't wait for Nova to leave after that game no matter what he did the rest of his career.

There is one game that matters most every year. One.

I think my anger topped yours for once after that game.

Reactions: RU-AGK
You could literally hear the crowd from Easton Ave. The stadium was literally shaking. Loudest craziest crowd ever. It was true Pandamonium in Piscataway!

and oh you the Louisville game

Reactions: Bagarocks
Although the stadium was seriously loud against UL in 2006, I just don't think it compares to today as the stadium is closed in now and the sound can't be alleviated by the opening at the south end of the field. And I don't think we've yet heard it as loud as it can possibly be. When we once again scale the heights we got a taste of back in 2006, watch out!

Reactions: BoogieKnight
BS.. those defensive series late in the 2nd half when we had come back.. just mind numbingly loud. Ears ringing for hours loud. The oddly warm fcloudy night in November with a low "ceiling" might have helped as well.

Reactions: Section124
The thing Louisville 2006 has going for it is the perfectly timed and executed "We Will Rock You" at the end of the game, and just the overall electricity of knocking off a Top 5 opponent late in the season to remain undefeated.

Whether it was "louder" in a decibel sense on the field, I don't know (smaller crowd and open endzone).... but I'd say any given pocket of the stands was probably louder then than at any other time, given the situation.

Edit: That is, from the stands, it probably was louder because the people around you were louder... but on the field, it may not have been quite as loud because of the overall crowd size and open endzone.

it wasn't even the loudest play in the game as the blocked FG by Turay was

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT