ADVERTISEMENT

Making Rutgers Stadium Atmosphere GREAT Again

Our football program does not have a history of playing highly important games of National consequence.
Do you somehow forget what happened in 2006 when we played such a game?
The place was packed with emotional fans crying during the playing of the Alma Mater.
If we are as good as you say we are, it will happen naturally, it will never happen at your urging!

Seriously. The best part of the game day experience for the past decade has been the tailgate. And the worst part of the game day experience for the past decade has been the actual game.

In keeping with the Maryland conversation…really wish they would be the last game every season.

Even with the new kids on the block, it’s an easy thing for the B1G to line up a rivalry type weekend with just about everyone:

Rutgers/Maryland (geography, joined the B1G same time so there is already a "link")
Ohio State/Michigan (no explanation needed)
Indiana/Purdue (Old Oaken Bucket)
Illinois/Northwestern (Land of Lincoln trophy)
Minnesota/Wisconsin (Paul Bunyan's axe)
Iowa/Nebraska (these fanbases HATE each other)
Washington/Oregon (still have the Civil War, same for Huskies if they want WSU) USC/UCLA (no explanation needed)

And I guess by default: MSU/Penn State

Last edited:
Reactions: RUAir-Raid
Michigan State - 04
Louisville - 06
USF - 07
Fresno State - 08
Cincy - 09
Penn State - 14

Games from recent memory that were packed at kickoff and the team entrance was rocking

Can’t speak for ND in 99 Texas in 00

Point is, our fans have to have a reason to get juiced.

Best VT to start out 3-0 and I’d expect one of the best crowds we’ve ever seen
‘99 vs. ND was a madhouse. Jammed pack early. Fans were there early. Got not move in the concourse.

That's it Al! Rally the troops by telling us fans how sh*tty we are! lol moron
Mr Penn State Troll. Welcome back. Speaking of morons, who was the stupid CNT who posted that Mike Houston was 10x the coach that Greg Schiano was? What was Mike Houston’s record last year? I’ll help you. 2-10. In 5 years Greg Schiano has built a team that would drop 60 on Mike Houston’s sorryass squad.

‘99 vs. ND was a madhouse. Jammed pack early. Fans were there early. Got not move in the concourse.

That was a miserable game, the parking attendants bent over backwards to accommodate Notre Dame fans while continuing to screw the loyal Rutgers fans. That game was responsible for my tailgate crew (it wasn't mine at the time, I was just a member of it) losing two longtime members (and their season tickets) who had been there from the mid-80's.

One thing that Penn State does so much better than we do is that the vast majority of their fans are at their seats when the team enters the stadium. This creates a huge impression on recruits, and pumps up the team.

In contrast, I’m not sure if Rutgers stadium is even half full when the team enters, and it’s pretty embarrassing. How deflating must it feel to the players, to run out to a half empty stadium. Hopefully, with a much better team, fans will be motivated to be at their seats early. We should all be doing our best to enter the stadium an hour before kickoff. That’s what they do at Penn State, and this creates an AMAZING atmosphere.

I only read the OP and I’m replying.
This is so basic but I still can’t believe that some RU fans don’t understand this…
When you win more often than not and/or you have played many recent entertaining games and sometimes beat top teams..,,, more people attend the games and get there early/on time.
Every single football team (except maybe 1 or 2) in the entire country, would have the same or less fans than us if they had our overall horrendous history in football.
Sorry but that’s R reality and it’s basic human behavior. Psu fans are NOT better than us because they do what you want us to do. They’ve experienced a much much better product over their long term and recent history.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Huh? I must have missed that.
It was years ago. In the form of a question for the whole community, IIRC. As I recall, the answers included, as they usually do, a good bit of hilarity. We're a community that likes to help each other out. But not without some hilarity. 🙂

OTOH, my recall can totally suck sometimes. So perhaps I have him confused with someone else.

Reactions: Purple-Ed
It was years ago. In the form of a question for the whole community, IIRC. As I recall, the answers included, as they usually do, a good bit of hilarity. We're a community that likes to help each other out. But not without some hilarity. 🙂

OTOH, my recall can totally suck sometimes. So perhaps I have him confused with someone else.

Was this the one about dating the Guatemalan maid?

One thing that Penn State does so much better than we do is that the vast majority of their fans are at their seats when the team enters the stadium. This creates a huge impression on recruits, and pumps up the team.

In contrast, I’m not sure if Rutgers stadium is even half full when the team enters, and it’s pretty embarrassing. How deflating must it feel to the players, to run out to a half empty stadium. Hopefully, with a much better team, fans will be motivated to be at their seats early. We should all be doing our best to enter the stadium an hour before kickoff. That’s what they do at Penn State, and this creates an AMAZING atmosphere.

Now post a non white out game

Problem is that the vast majority of NJ doesn’t care at all about Rutgers or Rutgers football. We haven’t truly sold out a game in quite a while…even once everyone is in their seats. One last beer…I’ve been guilty a lot of the time, getting to my seat right at or right after kickoff. Others have said it well above…once we start winning people will be more interested in coming and in getting into their seats early. The pageantry of college football can be awesome. When I go to Tennessee games there is far more band playing than piped in rap and noises. It’s like old time college football experience with 100k of your closest friends. At 50k, I have to believe we can get closer to that…not that many seats to fill and people won’t want to miss a second if we are good. This year is the springboard.

That part I don’t recall.

It was either him or NYCBanker, can't recall which. However, he very recently (May) had a thread on the Main Board about how he had been dating a narcissistic woman who was sleeping with other guys.

We are a historically awful football program with almost no success in the last 15 years. We haven't beaten a ranked team in 15 years, haven't been ranked in 12 years and haven't had a sellout in 9 years.

You don't compare a program like that to a Pedo State you compare it to an Illinois, Indiana, Vanderbilt, Kansas. Fair or not.

Look at hoops. Just a taste of a tournament, just some upsets, games are fun and now you have to beg for a ticket into that building.

Go win 10 games this season and then you build on it. That's how it works.
Interested to get your opinion of the entrances when you were playing- it seemed to have a better early crowd back then and the buildup to you guys coming out of the tunnel seemed a little more intense. But then again, that may just be my faulty memory and maybe it was because my own anticipation of the team running out made it seem that way.

I have two thoughts:

Does PSU have threads about how they need their basketball games to be like ours? The RAC is consistently packed and rocking while they play in a morgue.

Every guy who commits to play at RU has been to our football games and watched more of them on TV. They know our fans, atmosphere, and yet they still chose to come here.

While not fully full, still a good representation

That’s pre game and halftime of HOMECOMING and the student section is half empty whole time. I had season tickets to PSU for 3 or 4 years. It’s also a late arriving crowd except for white outs. Partially because the stadium is a shit show in its design and accessibility
Fail

It was either him or NYCBanker, can't recall which. However, he very recently (May) had a thread on the Main Board about how he had been dating a narcissistic woman who was sleeping with other guys.

Yeah, that doesn’t work if someone’s the jealous/possessive/insecure type. If not, then it’s no big deal as long as all parties are honest and understand the parameters. Dating isn’t marriage. These is no explicit contact of commitment to monogamy.

There is a part of me and we are the visiting team- I would sort of want to have the entire team line up when they start the song and jump up and down with the crowd...I know they would take it like jumping on their midfield logo but it would be funny as hell. Sort of a "yeah, that is fun but let's play football" lol
Or, every time we score and if we are ahead, lay down in the endzone like going to bed and keep one eye open...

Reactions: rutgersal
That’s pre game and halftime of HOMECOMING and the student section is half empty whole time. I had season tickets to PSU for 3 or 4 years. It’s also a late arriving crowd except for white outs. Partially because the stadium is a shit show in its design and accessibility
Fail
That was also a noon game in crap weather. Always lightly attended with the exception of a few notable opponents. At kickoff time for a nooner probably 10% of the crowd is still waiting in line to park.

That was also a noon game in crap weather. Always lightly attended with the exception of a few notable opponents. At kickoff time for a nooner probably 10% of the crowd is still waiting in line to park.
So wait….Penn State isn’t always full, loud, & rocking as the team takes the field? Who woulda thunk it? Someone tell Al.

Fail
Al has bar room eyes for fat ugly child rape enablers.

Al - maybe PSU is close to full for really big games, but - and no offense to us - their stadium was maybe 60% full at the start of the RU game last year, which I attended with a friend. We thought it was going to be full, based on reputation, but not even close (and the weather was perfect). Doesn't mean we can't improve, but let's at least be realistic about the competition. Also, winning and caliber of opponent are, by far, the biggest factors in getting people into their seats.

College sports everywhere are trashed by playing piped music at ridiculous volumes. The thing that makes the college atmosphere unique are the marching and pep bands, and many programs…even big time winning programs, ruin their atmosphere with insolent noise.

I know I’m showing my age, but it really ruins the experience. If I wanted crap noise at ridiculous volumes id hit a super over priced nfl game. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yes, this is absolute proof you're old. I'm probably close in age to you and I'll take piped in popular music over marching bands every time.

Al - maybe PSU is close to full for really big games, but - and no offense to us - their stadium was maybe 60% full at the start of the RU game last year, which I attended with a friend. We thought it was going to be full, based on reputation, but not even close (and the weather was perfect). Doesn't mean we can't improve, but let's at least be realistic about the competition. Also, winning and caliber of opponent are, by far, the biggest factors in getting people into their seats.
60% of that stadium is 60K people. At the end of the day, people will do what they do, but doesn’t hurt to ask. People who care should make it a point to be in the stadium when the team comes out. I feel demoralized and embarrassed when the team enters and is greeted by a less than sizeable crowd. I can only wonder what recruits think.

60% of that stadium is 60K people. At the end of the day, people will do what they do, but doesn’t hurt to ask. People who care should make it a point to be in the stadium when the team comes out. I feel demoralized and embarrassed when the team enters and is greeted by a less than sizeable crowd. I can only wonder what recruits think.
Agree it would be nice if people were in their seats - we always are unless there's a snafu at the gate, but we do cut it close, as we like to tailgate as late as we can and we typically start walking towards the stadium from the yellow lot about 20 minutes before kickoff.

The original post and this thread is EMBARRASSING. Did this really need to be bumped on the eve of the first game of the season? Pathetic for someone who claims to be such a super fan.

Reactions: bac2therac
Yes, this is absolute proof you're old. I'm probably close in age to you and I'll take piped in popular music over marching bands every time.
Not for college football.

Pros, a concert, even baseball.

But not for college football. It’s part of the fabric that makes it different.

Reactions: bac2therac
Agree it would be nice if people were in their seats - we always are unless there's a snafu at the gate, but we do cut it close, as we like to tailgate as late as we can and we typically start walking towards the stadium from the yellow lot about 20 minutes before kickoff.
Based on what Al wants, you are already 20 minutes too late getting into the stadium. He would say you are one of the problem fans/groups. My group tries to be in for the anthem but like you said, it's gate entry dependent.

Finally I have seen Al walking the concourse just before a game. He's not in as early as he claims.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT