ADVERTISEMENT

It's not just us...

I've been amazed by the number of teams that are losing 5 or more players to the transfer portal. I can never remember such instability in college basketball. Many teams will be hard-pressed to ID a starting five at this point.

While I was a supporter of NIL (Geo was very convincing!) and the transfer portal, I am now viewing them - in tandem - as very bad for the continuity of the sport.

I've been amazed by the number of teams that are losing 5 or more players to the transfer portal. I can never remember such instability in college basketball. Many teams will be hard-pressed to ID a starting five at this point.

While I was a supporter of NIL (Geo was very convincing!) and the transfer portal, I am now viewing them - in tandem - as very bad for the continuity of the sport.
Players deserve fair compensation. But the current system is unsustainable. There needs to be some rules.

At this point everyone should be in the portal by default and there should just be a draft with the selecting school given the right to make the first offer. I’m not even sure why universities/colleges are even part of this any longer. It almost has nothing to do with education and it’s just a minor league system. Forcing players (especially one-and-dones) to attend classes for a year is ridiculous. Perhaps institute some money management and life education programs as part of the system instead.

At this point everyone should be in the portal by default and there should just be a draft with the selecting school given the right to make the first offer. I’m not even sure why universities/colleges are even part of this any longer. It almost has nothing to do with education and it’s just a minor league system. Forcing players (especially one-and-dones) to attend classes for a year is ridiculous. Perhaps institute some money management and life education programs as part of the system instead.
My thing is, it has always been this....The difference is the front and fairy tales that was packaged and sold to you as college basketball isn't feasible anymore as people become more aware of what's happening. Attempts are being made to compensate everyone fairly but as they try to continue to cut players out of TV money, it opens the door for boosters/nil to be the ones compensating players for their services.

This is what's going on with alot of things in the current times...all of the old scams have run their course; as populations smarten up it becomes harder and harder to make money lol...but some of the old crowd wants to keep things the way they were, they were perfectly happy getting scammed and getting taking advantage of by people in the know. I understand that it interrupts our classic fandom but really? 5, 10, 20 even 30 years ago you couldn't have said the same thing about big time NCAA sports as far as focus on education and elite players going to class?

Reactions: soundcrib
You do realize that the point is to get a college education or at least that used to be the point since 99% of these kids will need to find jobs. People have twisted these arguments so far they don’t even know wtf they are anymore.

The Transfer Portal and NIL. Perfect together.

Imagine a professional sports league operating this way?

Hey, Aaron Judge just entered the Transfer Portal! He's looking for an additional million/year in NIL money. I hear he might sign with the Brewers.

Too bad there isn't some sort of organization that could clean this mess up ... such as a National Collegiate Athletic Association, for example.

The Transfer Portal and NIL. Perfect together.

Imagine a professional sports league operating this way?

Hey, Aaron Judge just entered the Transfer Portal! He's looking for an additional million/year in NIL money. I hear he might sign with the Brewers.

Too bad there isn't some sort of organization that could clean this mess up ... such as a National Collegiate Athletic Association, for example.
The NCAA is dominated by the "haves" who are happy with an unbalanced uncompetitive system (for now). The have nots have the power and votes to change the system, but they are have nots because they don't care as much about sports, so the leadership of those institutions has little incentive to invest the energy in gearing up to fix the system.

I think that NIL is toothpaste out of a tube due to this sh!tty Supreme Court. The Transfer Portal is something that CAN be legislated by the NCAA. If the one year sit out rule is put back in then you’ll see the frenetic activity cease. You’ll also see the NIL money slow down because your not going to give a QB $5 million if you have to wait a full year to see him play.

I think that NIL is toothpaste out of a tube due to this sh!tty Supreme Court. The Transfer Portal is something that CAN be legislated by the NCAA. If the one year sit out rule is put back in then you’ll see the frenetic activity cease. You’ll also see the NIL money slow down because your not going to give a QB $5 million if you have to wait a full year to see him play.
That rule I think was also deemed to infringe on individual rights by the courts. The solution would have to be a negotiated agreement with some kind of player's union and some more robust version of the NCAA supported by the universities. This would require leadership from the universities which has been in short supply.

I could be wrong, but I think the way NIL is going is not what Geo and the supporters of NIL in the beginning envisioned it would be. It does need some rules.
@Geo_Baker_1 wanted kids to be able to profit from their celebrity (i.e. autograph signings, selling t-shirts, appearances, endorsements, etc.). This whole pay to play abomination is not what he was professing. We need rules yesterday.

My thing is, it has always been this....The difference is the front and fairy tales that was packaged and sold to you as college basketball isn't feasible anymore as people become more aware of what's happening. Attempts are being made to compensate everyone fairly but as they try to continue to cut players out of TV money, it opens the door for boosters/nil to be the ones compensating players for their services.

This is what's going on with alot of things in the current times...all of the old scams have run their course; as populations smarten up it becomes harder and harder to make money lol...but some of the old crowd wants to keep things the way they were, they were perfectly happy getting scammed and getting taking advantage of by people in the know. I understand that it interrupts our classic fandom but really? 5, 10, 20 even 30 years ago you couldn't have said the same thing about big time NCAA sports as far as focus on education and elite players going to class?
Old scams like giving a free education to a kid who needs it for employment? Kids who in many cases don’t make it into those schools on academics and merit alone.

That rule I think was also deemed to infringe on individual rights by the courts. The solution would have to be a negotiated agreement with some kind of player's union and some more robust version of the NCAA supported by the universities. This would require leadership from the universities which has been in short supply.
I think that the NCAA could issue a boilerplate contract for any D1 player to sign if they want to get a scholarship. The player could forgo a scholarship if they want to transfer year to year.

Reactions: Eagleton96
Folks, have any of you clicked through?

The topic of this thread is concern about the balance between young talent and experience. Not about NIL per se

Reactions: runrutgersrun
You do realize that the point is to get a college education or at least that used to be the point since 99% of these kids will need to find jobs. People have twisted these arguments so far they don’t even know wtf they are anymore.
Perhaps most are but why do we have the one-and dones in college. It’s ridiculous. Those players aren’t there for ANY semblance of an education. If the NBA doesn’t want them right out of HS, they should go to the G league or some minor league unless the player is willing to sign on for 2 years in college…since they are getting paid, they might as well have a contract for more than one year. Right now it’s just a free-for-all.

Perhaps most are but why do we have the one-and dones in college. It’s ridiculous. Those players aren’t there for ANY semblance of an education. If the NBA doesn’t want them right out of HS, they should go to the G league or some minor league unless the player is willing to sign on for 2 years in college…since they are getting paid, they might as well have a contract for more than one year.
Why are we letting a handful of athletes destroy the entire fabric of college sports?

Yes they want to get paid go to a league. They want a free education go to college.

Why are we letting a handful of athletes destroy the entire fabric of college sports?

Yes they want to get paid go to a league. They want a free education go to college.
I agree. That’s what we are doing.

Old scams like giving a free education to a kid who needs it for employment? Kids who in many cases don’t make it into those schools on academics and merit alone.
Yes.....
As a general rule, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Are they giving these kids scholarships out of the kindness of their hearts? Or do these guys make their teams better which in turn generates revenue for the university and many businesses associated with the university? Ace and Dylan for example, they haven't even arrived on campus yet and they are generating revenue for multiple Rutgers associated organizations.
If a kid wanted to maximize their scholarship, as many have done, they can still do that. However the students that were taking mediocre classes and being pushed through the academic system because they were good at sports, happens now and has always happened. If those guys don't play professionally or go into coaching, what have they gotten out of the deal? It is what it is or what it was. Just like now guys are getting hundreds of thousands because the market is now what it is. What you don't understand is that it has always been a market but it is now evolving into a fair market...It goes against your sense of normalcy so you will resist but it will calm down as rules are put in place and it will be the norm for the next generation.

Last edited:

Well said and I think we need to dtop the education charade

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Yes.....
As a general rule, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Are they giving these kids scholarships out of the kindness of their hearts? Or do these guys make their teams better which in turn generates revenue for the university and many businesses associated with the university? Ace and Dylan for example, they haven't even arrived on campus yet and they are generating revenue for multiple Rutgers associated organizations.
If a kid wanted to maximize their scholarship, as many have done, they can still do that. However the students that were taking mediocre classes and being pushed through the academic system because they were good at sports, happens now and has always happened. If those guys don't play professionally or go into coaching, what have they gotten out of the deal? It is what it is or what it was. Just like now guys are getting hundreds of thousands because the market is now what it is. What you don't understand is that it has always been a market but it is now evolving into a fair market...It goes against your sense of normalcy so you will resist but it will calm down as rules are put in place and it will be the norm for the next generation.
lol. 1. A college level degree and with your point for doing nothing 2. Have some historical perspective. 3. Most schools lose money from athletics

lol. 1. A college level degree and with your point for doing nothing 2. Have some historical perspective. 3. Most schools lose money from athletics
Keyword being athletics... because they use the money they make from revenue generating sports to pay for the other sports. Do you see how much these tv deals are? If you want to say these schools are giving these scholarships out as charity then idk what to tell you. Big ten tv deal is worth 8 billion lol

Keyword being athletics... because they use the money they make from revenue generating sports to pay for the other sports. Do you see how much these tv deals are? If you want to say these schools are giving these scholarships out as charity then idk what to tell you. Big ten tv deal is worth 8 billion lol

That’s revenue. Do you evaluate things on revenue or profit?

And yes football and basketball support other sports. Do you want to kill the other sports?

That’s revenue. Do you evaluate things on revenue or profit?

And yes football and basketball support other sports. Do you want to kill the other sports?
I don't want to do anything but again the keywords are revenue generating sports. And as far as athletic departments turning a profit, is your point that scholarships are given out as charity because the athletic department operates at a loss? Need to understand where you are coming from. But if employees or contractors were only paid if the company or hiring entity turns a profit many fortune 500 companies wouldn't have paid anyone for decades. Some companies have never made a profit but they thrive and grow with investor money. Investors that believe in the potential of their products. There will be money invested into Rutgers this year because people believe in the potential of the athletic teams. Without the athletic department turning a profit, there will be an influx of money into Rutgers..this is the way things work...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT