ADVERTISEMENT

Jamie Vinson Visiting

This recruit complicates Rutgers roster which already has Somerville as a four star freshmen center .He has the skillset to make shots away from the basket and also dribble the ball the whole length of the court.Fans have been told that Rutgers was seeking a one year replacement for Cliff to share playing time with Sommerville.I doubt Sommerville is happy hearing another freshmen center is being recruited.

• Haha
Reactions: Scangg
Didn't realize this kid was a freshman.

I asked a couple weeks ago if we were only recruiting a 1 year transfer.
Or would we consider a multi year player who may be ahead of Lathan this year and in future years on the depth chart.

Would be interesting if this kid believes he'll be ahead of (or pass eventually) Lathan on the depth chart.

This recruit complicates Rutgers roster which already has Somerville as a four star freshmen center .He has the skillset to make shots away from the basket and also dribble the ball the whole length of the court.Fans have been told that Rutgers was seeking a one year replacement for Cliff to share playing time with Sommerville.I doubt Sommerville is happy hearing another freshmen center is being recruited.

Imho - all bets are off.

These kids are getting paid now. They’re pros.

So we are not to take in a talented big guy cause it might hurt lathans feelings?

So whats he gonna do? transfer after his freshman year?

Well guess what - if lathan has a good year he’s gonna be in the portal next year anyway!!

Load up next years team as much as possible!!!

We need to realize the nature of college basketball right now:

EVERY YEAR IS A NEW YEAR

Last edited:
If you are fouling all the time you are not playing goos defense . . .

Good is relative. We’re probably not going to have elite. “Soft” is the deal breaker. For a 5, the only prerequisite in my opinion is that - I.e. not being soft.

Imho - all bets are off.

These kids are getting paid now. They’re pros.

So we are not take in a talented big guy cuase it might hurt lathans feelings?

So whats he gonna do? transfer after his freshman year?

Well guess what - if lathan has a good year he’s gonna be in the portal next year anyway!!

Load up next years team as much as possible!!!

We need to realize the nature of college basketball right now:

EVERY YEAR IS A NEW YEAR
This. It’s all about having 15 fouls to give at this point…

This makes more sense than trying to outbid other teams on a 4th/5th year big looking for 💰💰💰. The market seems to be quite overpriced right now.

Given the scoring we have and have brought in at 1-4 for 24-25, all we need next year at the starting 5spot is a guy who can play defense, get offensive rebounds and easy put backs off missed shots. Ogbole does show promise in all three areas, 20 rebs in 81 minutes, 14 offensive. FG 7-16, 7-13 close, 0-3 mid, 17 FT attempts, 7 made is alot in limited minutes, he will draw alot of fouls on the other team. He is very active around the basket, offensively and defensively. Improve his footwork and hands and he will surprise a lot of people next year. Latham will be the scoring Big off the bench when Ace and Dylan/starters are off the floor.

Vinson is lower ranked than any of the five already coming in. Next year's rotation at the 4/5 is Ace, Ogbole, Latham, Dortch, and Vinson as a 4/5, a Coleman Hawkins like project along side a big. He will compete for starter with Dortch in 25-26. I like this potential move if it pans out. Martini will allow the flexibility to possibly redshirt one of Grant, Dortch or Vinson, whoever isn't physically ready to compete in the B1G.

This makes more sense than trying to outbid other teams on a 4th/5th year big looking for 💰💰💰. The market seems to be quite overpriced right now.

Given the scoring we have and have brought in at 1-4 for 24-25, all we need next year at the starting 5spot is a guy who can play defense, get offensive rebounds and easy put backs off missed shots. Ogbole does show promise in all three areas, 20 rebs in 81 minutes, 14 offensive. FG 7-16, 7-13 close, 0-3 mid, 17 FT attempts, 7 made is alot in limited minutes, he will draw alot of fouls on the other team. He is very active around the basket, offensively and defensively. Improve his footwork and hands and he will surprise a lot of people next year. Latham will be the scoring Big off the bench when Ace and Dylan/starters are off the floor.

Vinson is lower ranked than any of the five already coming in. Next year's rotation at the 4/5 is Ace, Ogbole, Latham, Dortch, and Vinson as a 4/5, a Coleman Hawkins like project along side a big. He will compete for starter with Dortch in 25-26. I like this potential move if it pans out. Martini will allow the flexibility to possibly redshirt one of Grant, Dortch or Vinson, whoever isn't physically ready to compete in the B1G.
By all accounts Dortch is more a 3 than a 4/5. Ace is 180 lbs, the less he plays the 4 the better. If this is the route we go, we need to hope Ogbole is suddenly a 25-30 minute a night guy. Don't see it, but better hope.

By all accounts Dortch is more a 3 than a 4/5. Ace is 180 lbs, the less he plays the 4 the better. If this is the route we go, we need to hope Ogbole is suddenly a 25-30 minute a night guy. Don't see it, but better hope.

Look - I think folks think it’s worse than it really is. It’s not like Ogbole played garbage time minutes to pad his stats. If he delivered exactly the same output as last year in triple the minutes, his stats would be as follows:

24.3 MPG / 6.3 PPG / 6 RPG / 1.5 BPG / 3.9 fouls per game

First of all, that’s not so bad as a complementary player. Second, there’s no reason not to expect his fouls per minute to drop at least a little with another off season of development. He’s new to the game isn’t he?

Hypothetically if he could commit 1.1 fouls per 8 min instead of 1.3, he could give us 30 minutes without fouling out. His stat line times 4 - 8 ppg / 8 rpg / 2 blocks per game would be solid.

Reactions: satnom and Wagram97
Look - I think folks think it’s worse than it really is. It’s not like Ogbole played garbage time minutes to pad his stats. If he delivered exactly the same output as last year in triple the minutes, his stats would be as follows:

24.3 MPG / 6.3 PPG / 6 RPG / 1.5 BPG / 3.9 fouls per game

First of all, that’s not so bad as a complementary player. Second, there’s no reason not to expect his fouls per minute to drop at least a little with another off season of development. He’s new to the game isn’t he?

Hypothetically if he could commit 1.1 fouls per 8 min instead of 1.3, he could give us 30 minutes without fouling out. His stat line times 4 - 8 ppg / 8 rpg / 2 blocks per game would be solid.
Yeah, if he can cut back on the fouls, and remember, Myles and Cliff both had issues with foul trouble early on so it happens to young bigs, I think he could possibly do that. He definitely has tools to work with, I'd love to see an 8/6/2ish line out of him.
My only concern is our defense if he can't stay on the court.

Yeah, if he can cut back on the fouls, and remember, Myles and Cliff both had issues with foul trouble early on so it happens to young bigs, I think he could possibly do that. He definitely has tools to work with, I'd love to see an 8/6/2ish line out of him.

I’m not really sure where the negativity towards him comes from. We need a role player at center who isn’t completely clueless on D. In my view, we’ve seen enough of Ogbole to be optimistic he can fill this role. Hes definitely not soft, and he’s not completely out of position on D where he lets guys blow by. It’s actually the opposite in that he always makes em earn it at the line. The issue with him is the fouling which is why getting another body for 5 extra fouls is a good idea as long as it’s a D first kid. Soft at the 5 isn’t going to work - will be unplayable like Agee was.

We need a body behind Somerville

We need a body behind Somerville

Agree. If anything this affects ogbole more than Lathan.

Lathan certainly can’t expect to play anywhere close to 40 minutes.

He’d be sharing minutes with someone regardless.

Assuming this kid can contribute I’d guess this just means ogbole’s minutes are going to go down

Agree. If anything this affects ogbole more than Lathan.

Lathan certainly can’t expect to play anywhere close to 40 minutes.

He’d be sharing minutes with someone regardless.

Assuming this kid can contribute I’d guess this just means ogbole’s minutes are going to go down

huh? Why do you assume Somerville tops ahead of Ogbole? That would be great, but he’s never played a second of D1 basketball. I would assume Ogbole is the starter until Somerville or another unproven earns the spot ahead of him. There are exceptions, but it’s not that common for frosh BIgs outside of McDonalds all American to play big minutes their first year. We’ll see.

Ogbole is the backup because Rutgers couldn't attract a one year center from the transfer portal.Its getting late in the recruiting cycle with players reporting June 10,2024.
You should get premium and check the Round Table bc none of this is true

I couldn't remember which was more a wing and the other a PF.
Grant is listed 6'7 205, Dortch 6'8 190. Still not sure who projects where.

Ace is listed 6'9 200. not 180. Ace is a 4 on offense and 3 on defense. That's why you have a guy like Martini, 6'7 235, who guards a 4 but offensively plays like a 3

I thought Ogbole had a lot of promise. Raw as hell. Obviously he's unproven, so is a risk. As is Somerville. Grant also has promise at the 4, but is an unproven risk. Vinson has potential, but is an unproven risk.

None of us know, or can know until the season starts, which of these players will pan out. So stacking more players with potential that might/might-not pan out increases the odds that we have a sufficient number of serviceable bigs.

Last edited:
if Ogbole is starting, this will be a circus.
What exactly about Ogbole’s defensive game did you observe as such a major drop off from Cliff in his limited action? He fouled too much but mostly not bad fouls. Other than that - what? I thought he held his own.

He also did well on the offensive glass. Just has to learn to be stronger with the ball there when he gets it. But ok, we know Cliff will execute more than him on Ally Oops and such. We don’t need to force things into the paint though hopefully on offense. From what I saw Ogbole held his own on D.

huh? Why do you assume Somerville tops ahead of Ogbole? That would be great, but he’s never played a second of D1 basketball. I would assume Ogbole is the starter until Somerville or another unproven earns the spot ahead of him. There are exceptions, but it’s not that common for frosh BIgs outside of McDonalds all American to play big minutes their first year. We’ll see.

The fact there is debate that follows - whether ogbole or Lathan would get the balance of the minutes, imho, is exactly why we need another big. Both are unproven.

Whether I feel it would be lathab or ogbole isn’t really the point.

My main point was that it is just silly to worry whether bringing in another big would hurt lathans feelings….

We need another big.

If this kid takes lathans minutes and that causes Lathan (or Ogbole for that matter) to transfer… oh well

If Lathan is a total stud he’s gonna go in the portal any way to ca$h in

It doesn’t matter

Accumulate as much talent as possible in any given year

Cause you’re likely gonna have to do it all again anyway the following year, and after that, etc etc

Agree.

While I agree with others that the kid showed some potential, he is very very raw.

Based on potential that I saw I think he will contribute more than he did last year

but if he’s getting the bulk of the minutes …. Just haven’t seen enough to think that that would be a good thing

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Agree.

While I agree with others that the kid showed some potential, he is very very raw.

Based on potential that I saw I think he will contribute more than he did last year

but if he’s getting the bulk of the minutes …. Just haven’t seen enough to think that that would be a good thing
I guess where I’m coming from is - I don’t think Ogbole hurt us that much when he subbed in for Cliff on average. Neither were why we sucked so badly. Wolf hurt us. He cant defend which would be a problem on any roster.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
Will hardly be a circus. He is more serviceable than a lot of starting 5's in our quasi-recent history (Joynes, Kareem, Doorson, Doucore, Agee, etc.) - guy can rebound, is strong enough for the Kofi Cockburn/Trevion Williams types, and can hit a layup. I'm fine with him and Lathan as our rotation with all of the other scoring around them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT