ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Young to Fairfield (confirmed)

Would be a big loss. But Pike has done a great job hiring assistants so I have confidence he'd find a good one to replace young. No Kevin Hecks or Mike O'Korens on this staff.

Not sure where this will go? Always a lot of rumors out there about coaches being top candidates for jobs and all they’re is rumors.

Reactions: rumikenike
Really good coach who will be missed...only fair that he gets this opportunity... good luck coach and thanks for all you’ve done for RU!!!

Reactions: superfan01
As I have said in several prior threads, Jay Young will in all likelihood be the HC at Fairfield. Their current AD wanted to hire him at Central Conn State previously and Pike has already communicated we won’t have Jay very much longer which leads me to believe communications may have already been occurring indirectly that an opening at Fairfield was imminent. If it happens, kudos to Jay who deserves it. Plus I ll see him when he plays at Monmouth. Lol

Not to mention maybe he continues to build his career and then becomes a possible Rutgers head coaching candidate some day.

I believe Jay is actually older than Pikiell.

Young started coaching at Fitchburg State in 1987-88 when Pikiell was just a freshman at UConn.

Could be true, then again he is the same reporter who said that John Thompson III was the leader for Vanderbilt

Hoopdirt has been reporting that Luke Murray is also up for that job. He is currently at Louisville after going there with Chris Mack from Xavier. He is also a Fairfield grad.

No one wants to lose an assistant, but, I am sure that Pikiell has maintained a good list of potential assistants for situations like this, especially for a HC that has been around for about 20 plus years on the east coast.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
If they decides on Young Fairfield board doesn’t seem happy with the choice. They want Murray or Becker. IMO they will be getting a good one in Young

Luke Murray either was told no or took his name out of contention on Tuesday or Wednesday. so with him gone the door is wide open for jay. some other names being mentioned are john becker from vermont and greg Herrenda.

If jay leaves i assume two spots open on staff. Jay and potentially dougher whom jay recruited to stony brook and has been a DoBo for pikiell for the past 5 years or so.

Also, I keep seeing indications he's our lowest paid assistant? (Mind you, with a salary I would be very happy with.) Seems weird given his importance to the team

Also, I keep seeing indications he's our lowest paid assistant? (Mind you, with a salary I would be very happy with.) Seems weird given his importance to the team
Brandin Knight and Karl Hobbs making higher salaries seem reasonable and a good reason why Jay probably is the lowest paid of the three assistants

Really hoping for one more year with the staff in tact. If anyone had to go I would prefer Hobbs. My understanding is that he is in charge of the offense. There is room for improvement there from the coaching staff

Niagara just hired Patrick Beilein as its HC. Great choice as I'm sure he learned a lot from his dad. I think Jim Beilein coached somewhere up in that area...Canisius? MAAC upgrading its coaching which is greatly needed.

I see their fans wanting the guy from Vermont, but is Fairfield that much of a step up from Vermont? I wish Jay the best either way.

I would expect us to have the vacancy filled quickly... Pikiell and co had to know there was a good chance of this happening and had time to compile a list of candidates, right?

Gonna miss him and Pike yelling on the sidelines next to eachother. Found the pair quite entertaining.

Good luck Jay, this is good for the program to show that we can turn asst into HCs. Now lets fill this with another good coach.

If he does leave, it's a huge longshot but my first phone call would be to Kevin Boyle.

He’d be a great hire but IIRC the issue is he makes a ton of money off his camps and would have to take a pay cut for a harder job to be an assistant coach.

Reactions: kcg88 and MV9000
Kevin Boyle would be great for recruiting. I remember going to his camps when i was younger.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT