ADVERTISEMENT

Jerry Carino nails it -- It was all about "Trust"

I mentioned this in another thread discussing other non factors from last year and talking about this season. This is the mindset we as fans have to shed.....I did long ago and it was finalized when the B1G offer came through......this is the quote in the article. .from Dick Vitale

"There have been tendencies over the years where Rutgers has thought of themselves as mediocre, and when you think you’re mediocre, you’re going to be mediocre,” Vitale told Pikiell then. “If you think you’re great, you’ll be great.”

I mentioned this in another thread discussing other non factors from last year and talking about this season. This is the mindset we as fans have to shed.....I did long ago and it was finalized when the B1G offer came through......this is the quote in the article. .from Dick Vitale

"There have been tendencies over the years where Rutgers has thought of themselves as mediocre, and when you think you’re mediocre, you’re going to be mediocre,” Vitale told Pikiell then. “If you think you’re great, you’ll be great.”
THIS.

I have been saying for a few years now that our entire athletic department is in bad need of a sports shrink to help us get over the hump when it comes to certain things (winning big games, stepping on teams throats, winning in-season titles, winning conference titles, winning NCAA games we should win, etc., etc....). We have a SERIOUS "maybe we don't belong doing this" mental block IMHO.

TIME TO TAKE THE NEXT STEP!!!!

THIS.

I have been saying for a few years now that our entire athletic department is in bad need of a sports shrink to help us get over the hump when it comes to certain things (winning big games, stepping on teams throats, winning in-season titles, winning conference titles, winning NCAA games we should win, etc., etc....). We have a SERIOUS "maybe we don't belong doing this" mental block IMHO.

And that is accurately reflected on these boards. We need to stop with the "we can't" belief and switch to the "we can".

To piggyback on the comments above.

I don't follow basketball much anymore but question for you guys that do follow closely. Pikiell is a former player and assistant coach for Jim Calhoun. We know what Calhoun turned UConn from the time he got there to the time he left. That was kind of in the back of my mind when Pikiell was first hired, could he do something similar but on a lesser scale (3 national championships is a little much to ask lol).

With this kind of news, do you feel like you can taste it where the MBB program can take that next step up and be a consistent player on the national stage, with rankings, tourney advancement etc..

Reactions: BoogieKnight
Not a great article. Dylan is going to be with pike and Rutgers maybe 9 months . It’s a different situation than Ron. Carino doesn’t get it

Reactions: Cheap Sunglasses
What if we can’t switch to we can?
It's a mindset and a philosophy. I'm as guilty as anyone when I leave a football game early without any hope. With some success, I think we can do it. It's a great question though.

Not a great article. Dylan is going to be with pike and Rutgers maybe 9 months . It’s a different situation than Ron. Carino doesn’t get it

In theory, what fans may be missing is the image transformation is actually bigger than the 1 year or however many games are played. The name and the #2 & # 3 ranked players are now attached to RU basketball and its name from today and essentially another 11 months. For the next 11 months, that wave of news sticks to RU basketball and a larger extent, the entire athletic department.

For the next 11 months, there are basketball recruiting targets (and portal options after this season) who now, HAVE to consider RU in their recruiting cycle. It's not saying RU is entitled to land Top 5 or even 10 classes, but these recruits "should" raise the floor or recruiting into a Top 20 to 25 range each year.

If RU can recruit 4 to 5 consecutive classes in the Top 20-25 (2023 is the 1st class) that forms another core of players to develop, while we celebrate the Dylan and Ace duo.

The thought process is that this is not a 1 year item, it should open up an extended run of winning basketball for the rest of decade.

THIS.

Agree 100% but I think some of the “loser mentality” permeates from the lack of state pride.

I’ve always said that Rutgers success on and off the field of play as the flagship state university can be a unifying force throughout the state; and help shed the something is better somewhere else mindset.

Bottom line: RU can win at a national level and supporters have to believe it will happen and only a matter of time.

GO RU

• Love
Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Great article.

This needs to be read by all the folks who think we only landed Dylan (and also Ace) because of NIL.

It went deeper than NIL with both of them. The staff deserves big credit as well.

Reactions: Degaz-RU
In theory, what fans may be missing is the image transformation is actually bigger than the 1 year or however many games are played. The name and the #2 & # 3 ranked players are now attached to RU basketball and its name from today and essentially another 11 months. For the next 11 months, that wave of news sticks to RU basketball and a larger extent, the entire athletic department.

For the next 11 months, there are basketball recruiting targets (and portal options after this season) who now, HAVE to consider RU in their recruiting cycle. It's not saying RU is entitled to land Top 5 or even 10 classes, but these recruits "should" raise the floor or recruiting into a Top 20 to 25 range each year.

If RU can recruit 4 to 5 consecutive classes in the Top 20-25 (2023 is the 1st class) that forms another core of players to develop, while we celebrate the Dylan and Ace duo.

The thought process is that this is not a 1 year item, it should open up an extended run of winning basketball for the rest of decade.
Yes but Carino’s article was about rutgers raising Ron . Dylan is whole different ballgame.

I don't generally agree with much of what you write, Hawk, but this post is spot on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT