ADVERTISEMENT

Joey o does not get an at large bid

That’s a shame.. really thought his win over Ohio state would have been enough.

Damn. Too bad the Sammy situation didn't happen a little earlier. Joey could have wrestled in the Rider match H2H against Bell who got an at-large.

Can anyone explain how Olivieri didn't get an at large bid when his RPI was 10, while McKenzie Bell of Rider with an RPI of 26, Cole Mattin of UM with an RPI of 15, and Saul Ervin who was unranked in RPI did? All 3 were also ranked lower in coaches poll.

Can anyone explain how Olivieri didn't get an at large bid when his RPI was 10, while McKenzie Bell of Rider with an RPI of 26, Cole Mattin of UM with an RPI of 15, and Saul Ervin who was unranked in RPI did? All 3 were also ranked lower in coaches poll.
Olivieri lost the h2h vs Mattin so I guess that explains that… no clue on the other two.. wouldn’t surprise me if the other two didn’t have a better win then D’milio either

Reactions: Leonard23
Olivieri lost the h2h vs Mattin so I guess that explains that… no clue on the other two.. wouldn’t surprise me if the other two didn’t have a better win then D’milio either
They split this year though. Joey beat Mattin in the duel. Definitely a head scratcher.

Reactions: Leonard23
Not saying it is fair or right. The stated criteria put Joey 6th on the list. Seems that this was the ranking of the 6 top at large guys in this order Happel, Ervin,, Bell, Mattin, Miller (from Bucknell) and Olivieri. Check out the ranking criteria.

It is a shame that Joey sat for Sammy. Confident that he would have had the resume if he started all year,

Last edited:
Reactions: brentx35
Oliveri also lost 5 of his last 7 matches unfortunately including the last one to Miller who was under .500 at the time and all his metrics would continue to drop. Those things matter unfortunately.

Now his situation wasnt ideal thanks to Sammy but hopefully he can regroup and really focus on his offensive attacks during the offseason

Not saying it is fair or right. The stated criteria put Joey 6th on the list. Seems that this was the ranking of the 6 top at large guys in this order Happel, Ervin,, Bell, Mattin, Miller, and Olivieri. Check out the ranking criteria.

It is a shame that Joey sat for Sammy. Confident that he would have had the resume if he started all year,
What was the criteria? Based on the below, it looks like Olivieri had the edge in many categories.

Here is the criteria. NCAA Division I Wrestling Committee using the following selection criteria: head-to-head competition, quality wins, results against common opponents, winning percentage, ratings percentage index, coaches ranking and conference tournament finish.
The final Coaches ranking has not been published(not sure it will either). I was a little surprised Olivieri did not get one, but the Mattin loss at Bigs really hurt and results against common opponents also hurt vs Bell beat Miller from Maryland and Fillius from Purdue....Joey lost to Miller and Fillius at Big Tens. Quality wins think Bell beat 4 qualifiers and Joey beat 2 qualifiers.

Here is the criteria. NCAA Division I Wrestling Committee using the following selection criteria: head-to-head competition, quality wins, results against common opponents, winning percentage, ratings percentage index, coaches ranking and conference tournament finish.
The final Coaches ranking has not been published(not sure it will either). I was a little surprised Olivieri did not get one, but the Mattin loss at Bigs really hurt and results against common opponents also hurt vs Bell beat Miller from Maryland and Fillius from Purdue....Joey lost to Miller and Fillius at Big Tens. Quality wins think Bell beat 4 qualifiers and Joey beat 2 qualifiers.
Olivieri beat Cayden Rooks twice including a 15-2 major. Rooks beat Bell 6-1.

They’re both 7-5 against common opponents.

Olivieri shouldn’t have left it in the committee’s hands but still feels like he got slighted

Olivieri shouldn’t have left it in the committee’s hands but still feels like he got slighted
Rooks beat Bell two years ago 6-1, not this season(7-5 common opponents is in their career not this season).. I am sure it was a pretty close decision on the last spots, but Joey went 1-3 as the 7th seed, he lost to the 10th seed, the 8th seed and the 14th seed. His only win was against the 13th seed. If we are being honest, his Big 10 tournament was awful and probably did not deserve the bid.

Bell beat Parker Fillius, Josh Mason, Carter Young, Kal Miller and Seth Koleno

Olivieri beat Carmen Ferrante, Dylan D'Emilio, Cole Mattin and Kal Miller

Saul Ervin beat Joe Zargo,

Rooks beat Bell two years ago 6-1, not this season(7-5 common opponents is in their career not this season).. I am sure it was a pretty close decision on the last spots, but Joey went 1-3 as the 7th seed, he lost to the 10th seed, the 8th seed and the 14th seed. His only win was against the 13th seed. If we are being honest, his Big 10 tournament was awful and probably did not deserve the bid.
Bell and Ervin were beaten by Jones from Northern Illinois the 9th seed. Jones placed 3rd in the Mac tournament but he wasn't selected. Bell went 1-1 before MFF out of the tournament. I would take any wrestler from the Big Ten over a wrestler who lost to a 9th seed in the Mac.

Bell beat Parker Fillius, Josh Mason, Carter Young, Kal Miller and Seth Koleno

Olivieri beat Carmen Ferrante, Dylan D'Emilio, Cole Mattin and Kal Miller

Saul Ervin beat Joe Zargo,
Yes, Bell beat 5 qualifiers.
Olivieri beat 3 qualifiers--the Mattin win is not a qualifier(he was at large).

Reactions: mikemessner
Without looking at rankings, head to head, etc., it doesn't surprise me he missed out. He wasn't the same wrestler he was last year. Maybe it was moving up in weight, maybe getting hosed midway through the season, maybe something else. Who knows? Or, could just happen to be introduced at a young age to the good ole'
RU Screw.
SUCH BS. IT IS A SHAME someone who pulled their redshirt to help the team out and also had a good season gets F**** over.
Brand new name shows up with the same old rants. Easy to see who this is.

Last edited:
Joey is a team player. Twice he came out of redshirt when Sammy didn’t work out. With Sammy’s history what were the coaches thinking this year when they redshirted Joey. If Joey had a complete season, I believe he would have earned a spot. Now he has spent two 1/2 seasons for the team. This is not the way to treat a kid who gives his all and is all in for Rutgers.

Joey is a team player. Twice he came out of redshirt when Sammy didn’t work out. With Sammy’s history what were the coaches thinking this year when they redshirted Joey. If Joey had a complete season, I believe he would have earned a spot. Now he has spent two 1/2 seasons for the team. This is not the way to treat a kid who gives his all and is all in for Rutgers.
Stop. He needed a redshirt. He wasn't forced to redshirt or come out of redshirt. He wanted to wrestle, but should've stayed redshirted.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
RS or not.. maybe it was the weight move up… he seemed to regress a little this year
Not really. His style was the same as it's always been. That's the Edge counter style that many use... Hope he gets more aggressive and shoots more next season because he's really good when he does.

Joey probably dropped below Ervin the the coaches rankings Ervin has the points for placement and record. No head to head and no commons that matter(Matthews). Joey would have RPI and Quality wins. If that's the scenario it's 35-30 Ervin

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT