ADVERTISEMENT

***Jon Lewis commits to Rutgers***

HUGE HUGE HUGE

My #1 guy on the board

He came on huge at the end of last season...against the best competition in the state and the East Coast....

Just throw out some #s...

Against Notre Dame Academy in the first round of the playoffs....He throws for FIVE TDs

Against Eastern Christian (yes thats ECA of Maryland, one of the top prep schools around)...He threw FOUR TDs and 325 yards passing, plus rushed for 2 more TDs

Against St. Joe's of Montville, one of the top teams in the state at the time, 360 total yards, 3 passing TDs, 1 rushing TD in a loss

All using pretty much EXACTLY the same offense we will use...the PERFECT QB for us....

They opened up a St Joe's in Morris County now too? ;)

Reactions: ruhudsonfan
Holy crap, I was away from the computer all day (Ag-Field Day, then poker at PARX, then a poker tourney at a friend's place - I won a few hundred, which was nice) and I got to come back to this - huge get. No idea why this kid is only 3 stars, as he's the real deal.

Obviously Ash and the staff are killing it so far. Long way to go until signing day, but I think most of these kids stick as long as we show some decent improvement, which I think we will. My one comment is that it's unfair to compare recruiting under Schiano and Ash, since Schiano never had the B1G behind him to help in recruiting - I think he would have done this well, too. Moot point for now, though. Let's keep the momentum rolling.

I hate to say it but we will already have to begin considering re-upping Ash's contract. Because by the time Ash is in his last year or two of his contract, these recruits will be in their junior or senior year.

Holy crap, I was away from the computer all day (Ag-Field Day, then poker at PARX, then a poker tourney at a friend's place - I won a few hundred, which was nice) and I got to come back to this - huge get. No idea why this kid is only 3 stars, as he's the real deal.

Obviously Ash and the staff are killing it so far. Long way to go until signing day, but I think most of these kids stick as long as we show some decent improvement, which I think we will. My one comment is that it's unfair to compare recruiting under Schiano and Ash, since Schiano never had the B1G behind him to help in recruiting - I think he would have done this well, too. Moot point for now, though. Let's keep the momentum rolling.
You will always be you.

Which is why we love you.

And btw Jon, on behalf of @RU848789, Welcome to Rutgers!

#pushingyourbuttons...

pressing-all-the-buttons-in-elevator_1159.gif

I hate to say it but we will already have to begin considering re-upping Ash's contract. Because by the time Ash is in his last year or two of his contract, these recruits will be in their junior or senior year.
------
Recruiting is half the puzzle in the game of football......

... This would seem to a give a brighter green light to going ahead & considering playing Oden as a freshman if he has put on muscle & his frame has developed
- and especially if it looks like he is already equally or more in sync with the key aspects of the new offense than the current guys

Welcome to The Banks. Class is shaping up nicely and has a chance of being a really good one. My usual spring optimism is now through the roof. Thank you young man.

Why is Lewis only a 3 star recruit?

Watching his highlights he looks like the real deal both passing and running plus he's got the size too. Looks like a full grown man version of Oden

Why is Lewis only a 3 star recruit?

Watching his highlights he looks like the real deal both passing and running plus he's got the size too. Looks like a full grown man version of Oden

He still needs a good deal of work on his footwork, reading defenses and throwing mechanics. He has tons of potential but needs much more development to be starting at the B1G level.

EXCELLENT! -Was really hoping this young guy would give us his commit!

WELCOME. Mr. Lewis, to "The Banks"!!!!!!!!!

So how many Jersey kids does this make Ash landing for you guys?

Top ranked QB in Jersey
Top ranked WR in Jersey
Top ranked OL in Jersey
Top ranked Athlete in Jersey

Probably leading for the top ranked CB, top ranked DE, top ranked Safety and top 2 ranked RB's. In serious play for the top 3 ranked DT's in Jersey and top ranked LB.

All this happened in only 5 months on the job recruiting in New Jersey.

Last edited:
Al Golden is a boob.

Arizona said it best- the people clamoring for that guy should hit themselves in the nuts.

Reactions: tico brown
Nope, apparently my Cuse-alum co-worker says Lewis is all hype and no substance. And that DeVito comes from a real program and can pass circles around Lewis.[roll]

Don't you just hate it when you think you've got something good and someone just sets you straight?

Reactions: 17Q66
Top ranked QB in Jersey
Top ranked WR in Jersey
Top ranked OL in Jersey
Top ranked Athlete in Jersey

Probably leading for the top ranked CB, top ranked Safety and top 2 ranked RB's. In serious play for the top 3 ranked DT's in Jersey and top ranked LB.

All this happened in only 5 months on the job recruiting in New Jersey.

So happy we got Ash...such good vibes and energy coming from this program. He and the staff are relentless recruiters and accomplished coaches. Love the entire direction of the Athletic Dept under Hobbs!

But but but...

"Top NJ kids don't want to stay home"
"How is he supposed to recruit against Franklin, Meyer, and Harbaugh???"
"We need more time in The B1G before being able to land these type of kids."

...lol!!!! I love it!!!!

WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME!!!

Nope, apparently my Cuse-alum co-worker says Lewis is all hype and no substance. And that DeVito comes from a real program and can pass circles around Lewis.[roll]

Don't you just hate it when you think you've got something good and someone just sets you straight?

Those are the things we used to say when Shea was the coach.

So prior to Ash was this more or less in state commits of this caliber, and this point in the process?

Under flood? under schiano?

Honest question, just want to know how he is doing comapred the the last few coaches before him.
He's killing it for a first-time head coach who's never coached the area before. You can take away those qualifiers, and he's still killing it. Definitely outpacing Flood; heavily rivaling Schiano's early success.

Such perfect timing for Ash to come in and have QB like Lewis nearby. It seems like a perfect match.

Ultimately though, I just wanted to add that St. Peters has 3 huge defensive recruits next year. Ademimola brothers who are natonal recruits and Simon who already holds offers from rutgers and boston college. There isn't a ton of defensive depth in 2017, so i think this class will look a little better on the offensive side (even with Hansard, bell and tverdov - so i'm not even close to saying that it won't be awesome too... just extra awesome on offense) and I'm hoping we can even things out a bit more in 2018.

Reactions: ruready07
He has more to sell, but he will be the best recruiter we've had. As will his staff.

Prediction- within 5 years we own eastern recruiting.

Well he did win one of the QB honors in today's Nike camp, so he is a player. Just not right for us.

Just an easy fluid motion & release on a very good deep ball, among other excellent attributes. Congrats Jon & welcome. All the best. GO RU.

Reactions: money3189
In hindsight, could Schiano's Florida/"State of Rutgers" philosophy have been his biggest mistake?

I don't think so. Different situation.

Schiano did not ignore NJ. But he had to admit that Big East era Rutgers had over many years developed a mediocre reputation and the further he got from NJ the less likely the recruit was going to be jaded by the NJ self loathing. And getting talent out of FL has, and continues, to work for lots of programs.

Ash is working with the Big Ten, with a Rutgers that has shown glimpses of making some noise. Ash still has to sell to prospect of the future but building on a base laid by Schiano, with a detour of course.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT