ADVERTISEMENT

Julie Sez DONORS will be KEY

Originally posted by CuredbywinningRU:
No AD to date has been successful at getting more than a tiny handful of semi-major donors to give to RU sports, so it's hard to criticize any of them in that regard. It is a very tall order and anyone who can succeed in that realm becomes, in my mind, a member of that rarefied pantheon of difference-makers in the world at RU sports which pantheon, to my mind, includes Greg Schiano for what he did from scratch and I'm not sure who else.
Disagree....so just because most have previously and/or currently failed...that doesn't get them a pass.

AD's at much smaller non-P5 programs like ECU and Houston have been able to raise private funds to build their new basketball practice facilities...something any AD at RU...due to the huge alumni base and/or fan/corporate fan base in the #1 Metro area of the USA should be able to do as well...especially for a "Big Ten" team...(let alone should have been done when for almost 20 years, RU was in the "best" Basketball Conf most years, Big East).

Univ of Houston's new Basketball Facility built with private donations
http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/022614aaa.html

East Carolina building new basketball practice facility from private donations
http://www.ecupirates.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/083013aaa.html

This post was edited on 3/28 8:28 AM by Knight_Light

the excuses of some ( usually the loudest) who post on here to justify them not contributing is so freaking hysterical--everything's wrong, the BOG sucks, the fat cats must do the ALL the lifting, on and on--if you are unwilling to give to make facility changes happen you lose credibility and your bitching is useless---like anyone's asking you to give a $million--try a thousand or even a hundred--and buying tickets to see games is not a good excuse for us doing our part

Originally posted by ru66:
the excuses of some ( usually the loudest) who post on here to justify them not contributing is so freaking hysterical--everything's wrong, the BOG sucks, the fat cats must do the ALL the lifting, on and on--if you are unwilling to give to make facility changes happen you lose credibility and your bitching is useless---like anyone's asking you to give a $million--try a thousand or even a hundred--and buying tickets to see games is not a good excuse for us doing our part
who are you even talking to with your rant.

Originally posted by ru66:
Fair point...as it seems a large number of posters and/or those commenting on news articles online that want new facilities built off "others" backs (i.e. not from their own personal donations, unlike what other schools have been able to do). Heck, some even want the GOVERNOR to get funds to build RU new basketball practice facilities...while many other schools were able to get donors to do just that.

This post was edited on 3/28 11:06 AM by Knight_Light

I have not met Julie, but I am rooting for her to get this done. I have no negative opinion of her one way or another. Any prior bs that has been brought up against her (even if she has put her foot in her mouth once or twice) has not bothered me at all. But it should be clear to everyone that she was brought in here to do one job. Improve the facilities for the athletics program.

So far, from the outside looking in, the only thing she has done worth noting was getting CVS's contract done (reducing her base salary) and some minor facility improvements (new baseball/softball facility, switching offices). In my opinion, Flood's extension is pretty meaningless from a financial perspective; I think it was done more so to relieve some of the recruiting pressures he was facing.

I am sure it took yeoman's work to get even that done and she should be recognized for her efforts, However let's not kid ourselves, she will be judged based on her ability to bring both basketball programs up to par with our peers. Nothing else will suffice.

Her first priority from the moment she stepped on campus was to push this forward and start swaying public opinion to our side by lobbying the students, professors, trustees, BOG, Barchi and state politicians. Lesniak has now given her an oppurtunity to press the issue publicly within the state but the groundwork should have already been laid.

If she isn't person who can get it done, then we need to find someone who can.

Some of the loudest posters on hear unfortunately just don't get it. They've been fans the longest and either can't understand or won't accept the changes that have been taking place in college sports and Rutgers athletics recent success. I feel bad for the long time basketball only fans to a certain extent but the fact that they can not ascertain that footballs success has actually given basketball a real future (whether it gets realized or not; it will have the chance in a few years time) is absurd.

You think maybe all this time they would have earned interest on their $$$ and could help us "new money" donors out significantly ;) interest rates in the 80s were ridiculously high lol

NotinourHouse - the incorrectness of your post is best exemplified by your crazy comment about a Summit parent not wanting their kid to go to PSU - in fact, my cousin's daughter, from Summit HS did in fact choose PSU over RU and, sadly, didn't even apply to RU. And when I spoke to my cousin about it he said at Summit, very few kids see RU as a top choice. And that is typical of upper middle class towns like that in NJ where kids have choices due to parents' income levels.

Similarly my cousin's other kid, a very good student at Summit HS, didn't even apply to RU and went to Maryland (which is now, becoming very competitve to get into) .

As to your comment about many state schools get kids who go there due to economic issues. True, but RU is different since you can go to RU by commuing from much of the state because of NJs poulation density. To go to PSU and other State U's in less populated areas -most folks need to be able to afford to live away from home. In any event, and otherwise for a number of reasons, PSU has exponentially more upper middle class kids than RU.

My next store neighbor here in FL was a strong student who attended the top academic private school in the state and was signed up to go to PSU until she made Michigan the week before school started. That school, where my kids also go, hasn't sent a kid to RU in all of the years that I've seen records for but has sent kids to PSU. The kids who can't afford to go away to college in PA typically go to one of the PSU branch campuses or the other state colleges around the state, but in NJ, a large group of those working class kids go to RU and commute since for geographical reasons it's very feasible. Again look at the close in parking lots at a football game at PSU, Indiana, etc. and compare to the cars at the close-inlots at RU games. Night and day. It's a different demographic.

So while RU has a large number of kids living on campus, of course, it also has a disporportionate # of commuters compared to other major State Us and those kids for the reasons stated above typically don't have the types of college experience that induce donations down the road. If you don't think that one of RUs principal funding problems is a lack of upper middle class kids who go to RU, you're ignoring what's right in front of you on the RU campus compared to other major State U's. Again, just take a survey of RU grads on this board and see where they're from and if they chose RU for reasons other than $. I'm one of those who commuted and made school choices based on economics.

Originally posted by PaKnight:
Originally posted by RU#1fan:
Originally posted by derleider:
Its very easy to raise that kind of money when the state is paying for so much else.
On top of that - its relatively easy to fund raise when you are winning.

Which of course is why Ive been of the opinion for the better part of a decade now that instead of worrying about facilities, we splurge on a great coach, THEN worry about trying to raise funds.
Again Al spewing out fantasy tidbits with no factual backup.
The Carrier Dome was not built with Donations from Syracuse Fans. New York State paid over 70% of the Construction costs with the Carrier paying the balance via Naming Rights .
Al never mentioned the Carrier Dome.
You are wrong. Go back and read the initial Post. Al gave the example of " Syracuse Fans getting it done with Donations". What in the world do you think that means ? The Carrier Dome was paid for by NYS and Carrier Corp. The Carmelo K. Anthony Basketball Practice Facility was paid for by Carmelo Anthony. Their Athletic Fans Do Not Get it Done. They don't even show for Football games.

All of you can start donating. I am done donating to Rutgers. I have donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to Rutgers and have received very little in return. I am done. I will never donate to Rutgers again. All of you donate, not me.

Originally posted by RUnumber1:
All of you can start donating. I am done donating to Rutgers. I have donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to Rutgers and have received very little in return. I am done. I will never donate to Rutgers again. All of you donate, not me.
Don't stop. The program needs you now more than ever.
Things will improve in the future..

Feeling your pain RUnumber1. This Board sometimes provides a twisted view of what it takes to effectively support RU Athletics. As I've said many times before the few high volume posters who suck all the air out of the room and try to dictate how we should act as fans are the ones who buy tix but donate nothing else financially to RU Athletics. And they know who they are because they bloviate on a daily basis with their self serving and slanted views of what it will take for RU to be successful in FB and BB. Not surprising but they blame Barchi, the BOG and every former AD except the current one as the main culprits of our athletic failures to date. And they never acknowledge that regular RU fans need to donate to RU to upgrade our programs. They always point the finger at the so called unknown big donors who need to carry the financial load for the entire fan base.

Thanks for the support and encouragement guys. You are true Rutgers Fans. I will think about reconsidering. But when I think of all the money that I have donated to Rutgers over the years, it makes me sick. I could have been a millionaire or I should have at least be in the Rutgers Fan Hall of Fame. I just don't want to throw more good money after bad. Rutgers has not made good decisions. They are not winning and not B1G quality in most sports and now the asshole senate votes to not support the athletic department anymore. I am tried of all of this shit. I am going to focus on me and my family from now on and watch Rutgers from a distance.

Its very easy to raise that kind of money when the state is paying for so much else.

Which of course is why Ive been of the opinion for the better part of a decade now that instead of worrying about facilities, we splurge on a great coach, THEN worry about trying to raise funds.
The Carrier Dome was not built with Donations from Syracuse Fans. New York State paid over 70% of the Construction costs with the Carrier paying the balance via Naming Rights .
You are wrong. Go back and read the initial Post. Al gave the example of " Syracuse Fans getting it done with Donations". What in the world do you think that means ? The Carrier Dome was paid for by NYS and Carrier Corp. The Carmelo K. Anthony Basketball Practice Facility was paid for by Carmelo Anthony. Their Athletic Fans Do Not Get it Done. They don't even show for Football games.
Carmelo Anthony would be a donor.

Ok bye.

Sadly, much of the issues regarding our limited donor base are, as I've noted before, demographically related. We have a large percentage of commuters (NJ is so small, you can get to RU from most of the state within an hour or so - not so for PSU where most students are not commuters since it's in the middle of nowhere) and first generation college attendees (both indicators of less than upper middle class status - as of a few years ago, RU was the only flagship State U where the average income o a student's family was lower than the average income for the state). That means (i) many students do not get the full buccholic 4 year college experience that in later years inspires giving (even students who live on campus or near campus often remember the "RU Screw" as much as anything pleasant thus inhibiting the desire to give), (ii) many students do not come from backgrounds where charitable giving is part of life, (iii) many students lack the familial and other connections that lead to high-paying jobs soon after school and eventual higher incomes that make charitable giving easier. Bottom line is that until we get kids from the Summits, Milburns, Rumson's, Bernardsvilles, Old Tappans, Chathams, etc., in greater numbers than we are getting them now, fundraising will remain a challenge.
As somebody who grew up in one of those "etc." towns who went to the private schools in them and lives in one now while sending my kids to the same type of schools, I sadly have to say there is a lot of truth to this part of the post.

Even now the Rutgers name in some these same circles does not resonate the way it probably should.

As was mentioned earlier in the thread we are getting the smarter kid. That's a given, but since I do not have the info in front of me, I am not sure if it's from some of the zip codes of the towns in bold that CuredbywinningRU feels we need to get.

This post was edited on 3/28 11:43 PM by e5fdny

Yeah, but that's not gonna happen, so let's understand where we are, agree on where we want to be, put together a plan to get there and the capital campaign to make it happen.

John Calipari couldn't put together his Kentucky team at the RAC, so rather than deal with the irregularities of the particular variable, Rutgers -- and we, the trustees of her athletic programs -- should buy into Hermann's leadership along with Jordan's and make it clear that we support their efforts to put a 9-figure basketball facility on campus.

We're talking about basketball practice facilities.

For those saying they will not donate moving forward...why make that decision now? We are entering the most exciting times EVER to be a Rutgers fan!! We are in the most amazing conference EVER!! For those entities such as the RU Senate trying to hold Rutgers back it is not going to be long lived at all.. The pendulum is swinging and we are on the up swing.

Time are changing and because of the rising cost of education more kids will be considering State Schools more than ever and that only benefits RU. Rome wasn't built in a day and it will take some time for people in the state to really adopt us but it is already happening.

What I think SHOULD happen is that RU's Athletic Dept should come out with a vision of where they want to take the programs facilities. After they announce, they should make a statement that they will contribute 1:1 matching donations towards this effort. This way donors can see that RU is also making contributions to these efforts and not just all dependent upon us. I think most donors want to see that the school is committed to winning ways and right now that is non existent. They are hinging all faith on donors and it cant be one sided. he last bis commitment was based on the football stadium expansion and that money was raised through Bonds which are paif back by attendance(still on all of us!). Even a $.50 on the dollar match by the school would help..anything at all to show they believe in making something happen for our programs.

Announcing something along those lines will certainly help momentum. On the other hand, if recruiting took a big leap and we got some of the "big name high star" kids in state to commit here that will certainly also help perceptions. We just need to continually market the University anyway we can and keep us in a positive spotlight to get people talking about us. As much as we hate the Star Ledger(I despise outside TH) there would be no denying them talking about any of the above and that will resonate with those inside our state.

DO NOT give up faith now--it is all about leadership and we need it on both sides to really make this work....

riginally posted by PaKnight:

Carmelo Anthony would be a donor.
You know darn well that was not the intent of the initial Post. It was "Fans need to step up and become donors and support their Program" They don't at Syracuse.... Camelo is not a fan, he is a professional player who gave millions of dollars to build the Basketball practice facility.

You do understand the term "donate/donation" right?

There's a very good reason why non-profits don't call this gifts are "guaranteed returns".

someone mentioned that julie is "responsible" for new baseball facilities?? I ask again, as some are fond of saying, are the shovels in the ground for baseball--I doubt it so what's happening there??

You know darn well that was not the intent of the initial Post. It was "Fans need to step up and become donors and support their Program" They don't at Syracuse.... Camelo is not a fan, he is a professional player who gave millions of dollars to build the Basketball practice facility.
You are misinformed.

Carmelo was one of many who contributed to the basketball facility, $3 Million of $19 million.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/melo-set-emotional-return-syracuse-article-1.1188863

In addition, Syracuse Football also has an indoor practice facility to call their own, thx to many donors.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2015/01/syracuse_football_indoor_practice_facility_named_ensley_athletic_center_via_mult.html

NotinourHouse - the incorrectness of your post is best exemplified by your crazy comment about a Summit parent not wanting their kid to go to PSU - in fact, my cousin's daughter, from Summit HS did in fact choose PSU over RU and, sadly, didn't even apply to RU. And when I spoke to my cousin about it he said at Summit, very few kids see RU as a top choice. And that is typical of upper middle class towns like that in NJ where kids have choices due to parents' income levels.

Similarly my cousin's other kid, a very good student at Summit HS, didn't even apply to RU and went to Maryland (which is now, becoming very competitve to get into) .

As to your comment about many state schools get kids who go there due to economic issues. True, but RU is different since you can go to RU by commuing from much of the state because of NJs poulation density. To go to PSU and other State U's in less populated areas -most folks need to be able to afford to live away from home. In any event, and otherwise for a number of reasons, PSU has exponentially more upper middle class kids than RU.

My next store neighbor here in FL was a strong student who attended the top academic private school in the state and was signed up to go to PSU until she made Michigan the week before school started. That school, where my kids also go, hasn't sent a kid to RU in all of the years that I've seen records for but has sent kids to PSU. The kids who can't afford to go away to college in PA typically go to one of the PSU branch campuses or the other state colleges around the state, but in NJ, a large group of those working class kids go to RU and commute since for geographical reasons it's very feasible. Again look at the close in parking lots at a football game at PSU, Indiana, etc. and compare to the cars at the close-inlots at RU games. Night and day. It's a different demographic.

So while RU has a large number of kids living on campus, of course, it also has a disporportionate # of commuters compared to other major State Us and those kids for the reasons stated above typically don't have the types of college experience that induce donations down the road. If you don't think that one of RUs principal funding problems is a lack of upper middle class kids who go to RU, you're ignoring what's right in front of you on the RU campus compared to other major State U's. Again, just take a survey of RU grads on this board and see where they're from and if they chose RU for reasons other than $. I'm one of those who commuted and made school choices based on economics.
If you have enough money to live in Summit you can afford a good private school, not TTFP.

Your numbers are not making sense. Unless RU was the biggest school in America, it wouldn't have the second largest on campus population while having a lot of commuters.

At the end of the day most student at PUBLIC colleges come from PUBLIC high schools. Again I ask whether most parents at ANY private prep school want to, given their choice, send their kids to a public college over any private school? It makes no sense...

I attend every home game, I see a lot of NY/PA/DE/MD/CT plates and have members of my tailgate that live outside of NJ. And this was before the B1G. Many of those states you mention also have people that have to leave to get high paying jobs while in NJ that is not the case.

Not sure if you notice but this is 2015 and all but a very, very small and decreasingly insignificant fraction of students make decisions for college on economics. How many parents can afford the nearly 100k it will cost for a RU degree in-state nevermind elsewhere.

Again if you actually went to the Issues board you would see RU applications are through the roof, better than ever. And no one cares what town they are from.

Originally posted by rutgersal:

You are misinformed.

Carmelo was one of many who contributed to the basketball facility, $3 Million of $19 million.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/melo-set-emotional-return-syracuse-article-1.1188863

In addition, Syracuse Football also has an indoor practice facility to call their own, thx to many donors.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2015/01/syracuse_football_indoor_practice_facility_named_ensley_athletic_center_via_mult.html
"The Ensley Athletic Center is named after Cliff Ensley, a three-sport
letterman in football, lacrosse and wrestling and the CEO of Leisure
Merchandising Corporation in New Jersey." That's in Edison, NJ, 11 miles from High Point Solutions Stadium. Do you think Mr. Ensley would want a basketball practice facility named after him for his home state university, since Rutgers does not seem to have any like minded donors?

"I hope the immediate reaction the next few years inspires some real
good athletes from around the country to want to come here to play for
this program," Ensley said.

"You build something, looking forward this is going to bring a lot of
excitement to Syracuse University athletics. Our football program has
needed this for 20 years. This is something that is most necessary for
them."

And I hate to keep bringing up his name, but has David Stern been approached to spearhead the basketball practice facility? Seems like a natural fit.

Sure it should. Donors pockets aren't infinitely deep. If RU wants to keep pace with other universities academically it must spend money like those other universities. If those universities are getting lots of stuff done with state money, it frees up their donors to spend money elsewhere, like on a basketball practice facility.

The fat that Eddie makes more than anyone else we've ever paid more or less sums up why we havent been to the tournament in 20+ years.

As for no great recruit coming here. Thats just BS. No great recruit is going to come play for a bad coach just because we have a fancy locker room and bigger TVs.

Or to use a real life example - Schiano turned our recruiting around on a dime through sheer personality and vision. He didn't even have a history of winning behind him. And our facilities in FB were as outdated as those in BB, and didnt get replaced by the upgraded Hale Center for several years.

Even if Eddie is good - his status will be so tarnished by the time this facility gets built, even if its started immediately in the summer (which the delay to summer doesn't speak well for), that we will need a new coach.

So basically - we are going to need both a new coach and a new facility. Its cheaper and easier to get a new coach, and getting a high profile coach (oh Ben Howland, why couldnt you have waited ONE MORE YEAR to get back in the game) makes fund raising for the facility easier. Plu, then you get a recruiting boost a few years in, when its needed for a coach that is probably lagging somewhat due to having to rebuild this mess of a proram.

But we are Rutgers, so we will do the hard way. Try to fundraise for a new facility while we are at our lowest point, then WASTE the golden oppurtunity of opening the facility and getting a boost from it, on a coach who will be at that point, on his way out the door.
The idea that donors can't give to Rutgers Basketball because they're preoccupied with giving to other Rutgers Needs is simply not correct.

Villanova and Syracuse are private institutions and were able to build practice facilities without state money. UConn built its basketball practice facility without state money.

No good coach is coming to Rutgers because the job for some time has been labeled a career killer. You would need a Rick Pitino caliber to come here, and he ain't touching this job with a 100 foot pole. The idea that an established coach is going to come to Rutgers is laughable. No support, no facilities, no revenue base with only 8K seats max, and high expectations. I feel convinced that Eddie is the best coach that Rutgers is capable of landing, and the only reason why we got him is that he's an alum. Its important that he get his full five years and then we see how we progressed. At this point, if we were to replace Eddie, it would be with a cheapskate hire, who would encounter the same pitfalls, and thats why its a bad idea. In any case, It'll be easier to land a quality head coach with a quality basketball practice facility, should the need occur.

in my ideal world, Eddie is flirting with .500 in year 5, which is when the shovel goes into the ground.

I distinctly recall that you were a doubting DerLeider when Schiano was struggling to turn things around. Only after Schiano turned things around did you find religion.

Schiano got much improved academic support right off the bat, which allowed him to cut academic attrition significantly.
The Hale Center expansion was completed in 2004, and resulted in significantly upgraded talent in the 2005 recruiting class including Jason McCourty, Devin McCourty, Courtney Greene, and Ray Rice. After the upgrade, we did pretty well, recruiting against Syracuse, and held our own vs. Boston College.

Originally posted by bac2therac:

Al...its not going to be you or me or the far majority of poster on this board. Any facilities for basketball and other sports are going to come on the backs of big donors...I mean BIG donors. I really think that's why we aren't hearing the plan for public consumption until Julie feels the money is there to start with the projects. People keep saying that they will donate if they just hear a plan are missing the point. As Rutgersnyc just said that's nickel and dime stuff. The little guys can do their donating after the fact, every little bit will help but in the planning stages Julie needs BIG BIG money so it makes sense she is keeping plans away from the public for now

It makes perfect sense that Julie is keeping this under wraps...the last project not only didn't have the money but it didn't have any start dates. Julie can work with the donors to make a plan that works for them
I can't say if its going to be you, though I sure hope it will be, but I can unequivocally state that I am 100% going to be part of this. There's NO WAY, Rutgers is going to raise $30 Million Dollars on big donors alone, based on past experience. In fact, i think it would be a HUGE victory to get even $10 million dollars, and hopefully this would convince the admin to finance the rest. It is going to be a blend of hopefully, big donations, small donations, and many in between. For their BB facility, Syracuse got a naming gift of $3 million dollars and the balance of $16 million was raised by alumni.

I hope you will consider helping, if the opportunity presents itself.
This post was edited on 3/29 1:45 PM by rutgersal

Purely with regard to the OP - can someone explain to me why there's an issue, here? Our donation levels suck donkey balls compared to the other schools with which we allegedly "compete". To say that RU donors need to step up their game isn't the least bit controversial - it's stating the obvious.

Hey Al...who said im not contributing...im just saying the big donors will get this project started with their money and input...thats from Julies mouth...the little guy will help but without serious bigwigs it aint getting done

Originally posted by bac2therac:
Hey Al...who said im not contributing...im just saying the big donors will get this project started with their money and input...thats from Julies mouth...the little guy will help but without serious bigwigs it aint getting done
All that matters is that you're a donor. The amount is immaterial, except to the extent that you get the points you need for your tickets. The average donor isn't going to solve our "volume" problem; what the average donor solves is our "percentage of living alumni as donors" problem, and we are the worst in the Big Ten in that category.

Rutgers is far better off if another 1,000 alumni give $10/month than if a single donor contributed $120,000/year.

Having made that statement, you're totally correct: the 1,000 alumni giving $10/month aren't going to get the facilities built, except as part of a directed gift campaign, not unlike the Our Rutgers, Our Future campaign that just concluded. What's going to make facilities happen is directly solicited major capital gifts from corporate sponsors, estate planning and athletics benefactors.

I have donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to Rutgers.

Thanks for the support and encouragement guys. You are true Rutgers Fans. I will think about reconsidering. But when I think of all the money that I have donated to Rutgers over the years, it makes me sick. I could have been a millionaire or I should have at least be in the Rutgers Fan Hall of Fame.
I don't understand.

You indicated you've donated hundreds of thousands of dollars (that's > $200K). But you're not a millionaire? I'm not sure how someone can afford to donate >$200K if their net worth is less than $1000K.

I also don't know why you aren't in a recognition society. With donations >$100K, you should be in the "Society of 1766".

Sounds like she has a flair for the obvious. How long did it take for her to come up with this brilliant formula?

Does NJ have two municipalities named Summit? Because I've lived in the one in Union County for almost twenty years, raised two grown children here and I don't recognize it from the descriptions I'm seeing here.

And FWIW, it's a pretty thin argument to make to say that getting the kids raised here and in other towns like it to attend RU is one of the keys to increasing athletic donations.

Originally posted by RU4Real:
Purely with regard to the OP - can someone explain to me why there's an issue, here? Our donation levels suck donkey balls compared to the other schools with which we allegedly "compete". To say that RU donors need to step up their game isn't the least bit controversial - it's stating the obvious.
There was a question by some as to whether borrowing was an option. From the interview, it was clear that it wasn't,

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT