ADVERTISEMENT

Karl Hobbs to Howard U. Rumor

Even with a lower salary, Hobbs can still make a comparable amount of compensation to his current salary via basketball camps, and other promotional things that he can do as a HC. Plus I think he’s from the DC area.

Hobbs is originally from the Boston area and I believe played with Patrick Ewing before heading to UConn and playing with Pikiell. Mike Jarvis coached him and Ewing in HS if not mistaken.

Hobbs coached at GW and had Pike on his staff before he went to Stony Brook. Hobbs and Pike have a long relationship and strong loyalty to each other which I’m sure plays a role in his decision making. I’m sure there is an attraction for Hobbs to return to DC for a head coaching position but money will do doubt play a factor.

Would be great if he stays but no doubt Pike will be able to fill with a quality assistant. RU is definitely now more attractive for quality players and coaches.

GO RU

Reactions: RutgHoops
Hobbs could really free things up for recruiting to take off and i know being a HC is always priority for all coaches.

What is the annual compensation for Hobbs, Knight and Young? With R hoops on a major upswing, I would think that Pike should be able to get nice bump for his Assistant budget for both retaining Knight and other critical coaches and recruiting new coaches. Do you think that is happening?

What is the annual compensation for Hobbs, Knight and Young? With R hoops on a major upswing, I would think that Pike should be able to get nice bump for his Assistant budget for both retaining Knight and other critical coaches and recruiting new coaches. Do you think that is happening?
The football program may be the anchor keeping Hobbs from providing more assistant money for the men's basketball program. Maybe not though. With the new facility opening and the clear upward trajectory I can imagine there are boosters willing to put in money specific to this program

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
The football program may be the anchor keeping Hobbs from providing more assistant money for the men's basketball program. Maybe not though. With the new facility opening and the clear upward trajectory I can imagine there are boosters willing to put in money specific to this program

I sincerely hope and pray that Hobbs is able to capitalize on this R Hoops opportunity that is right in front of him. I don’t want to hear about budget neutrality or the football issues. Rutgers must invest in men’s hoops right now.

Keep the momentum going in a huge revenue sport with a top notch HC! Think about that...how often does this opportunity happen to Rutgers? Hobbs needs to get the Board and Barchi to invest. NOW!

Reactions: dkostus
I sincerely hope and pray that Hobbs is able to capitalize on this R Hoops opportunity that is right in front of him. I don’t want to hear about budget neutrality or the football issues. Rutgers must invest in men’s hoops right now.

Keep the momentum going in a huge revenue sport with a top notch HC! Think about that...how often does this opportunity happen to Rutgers? Hobbs needs to get the Board and Barchi to invest. NOW!
I agree completely, just noting that the financial dumpster fire that is the football program is an issue.

Truthfully, a successful basketball program could help raise all of Rutgers Athletics. The media will go nuts if we're actually successful and that will help everyone

Best to Hobbs.

I never thought our offense was more that average. It was passable, but it did not jump out as much as our defense. I am confident about an equal to better replacement.

Maybe Hobbs is trying to get another raise and had his people leak the number..you never know

I considered that. But that number was so out of whack that it was hard to believe when it was released. So that's my long way of saying I don't think they released it as it was a ridiculously high number.

But who knows.

Our assistant pool is 2nd or 3rd in the B1G in overall comp....we have more than enough to offer financially and can replace Hobbs and Young with minimal impact. Knight ( in my opinion) carries the most weight and clout...he is the youngest and most talented of the assistants we have in overall ability.

Hobbs is originally from the Boston area and I believe played with Patrick Ewing before heading to UConn and playing with Pikiell. Mike Jarvis coached him and Ewing in HS if not mistaken.

Hobbs coached at GW and had Pike on his staff before he went to Stony Brook. Hobbs and Pike have a long relationship and strong loyalty to each other which I’m sure plays a role in his decision making. I’m sure there is an attraction for Hobbs to return to DC for a head coaching position but money will do doubt play a factor.

Would be great if he stays but no doubt Pike will be able to fill with a quality assistant. RU is definitely now more attractive for quality players and coaches.

GO RU
You’re right. Thanks. Boston is where he is from. Thought DC because of his GW roots and Georgetown making him an offer last year and now Howard. Thanks for clarifying

Reactions: satnom
Howard is willing to pay $700,000 for basketball ? Isn't that what we paid Flood his first year?

Carino corrected Zags saying he hears the offer is more in the 200K per range, which is about 100 less than he makes now....believe Hobbs is our highest paid assistant in the 325-350 range

Our assistant pool is 2nd or 3rd in the B1G in overall comp....we have more than enough to offer financially and can replace Hobbs and Young with minimal impact. Knight ( in my opinion) carries the most weight and clout...he is the youngest and most talented of the assistants we have in overall ability.

That our comp pool for assistants is 2-3 in the league surprises me. I thought we were paying Hobbs and Knight in the 300K range and maybe a little less to Young. While they may have gotten bumps when Pike got his extension, I would not have thought we are paying equal or more than the likes of Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State. Pike is probably middle of the pack at best with regard to HC compensation? I agree that Knight is the most important from a recruiting perspective but was not sure he had the same level of responsibilities as Young with regard to game day coaching.

Carino corrected Zags saying he hears the offer is more in the 200K per range, which is about 100 less than he makes now....believe Hobbs is our highest paid assistant in the 325-350 range
As more information is heard it make no sense for Hobbs to accept the Howard position as head coach and take a cut in pay.It will be interesting to see how this rumor plays out and where Hobbs will be coaching.

That our comp pool for assistants is 2-3 in the league surprises me. I thought we were paying Hobbs and Knight in the 300K range and maybe a little less to Young. While they may have gotten bumps when Pike got his extension, I would not have thought we are paying equal or more than the likes of Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State. Pike is probably middle of the pack at best with regard to HC compensation? I agree that Knight is the most important from a recruiting perspective but was not sure he had the same level of responsibilities as Young with regard to game day coaching.

Rutgers' pool was $800,000 in 2018... Assuming two 5% boosts we're talking about $880,000 or so.

Meanwhile...

Ohio State is over $1 million.

Michigan is right around $880,000 as well.

Iowa's was about $690,000 (public employee records search).

Illinois is around $850,000.

Indiana is about $920,000.

That gives you an idea. Rutgers is competitive but keep in mind the cost of living (and taxes) are higher here.

In the overall scheme of things, glad Hobbs is staying. Losing 2 of 3 of your top assistants is a tough task.

Knight leveraged his position at Pitt and his links to NJ to get his spot as the highest paid assistant. Rutgers had to pay more to pouch him. Young and Hobbs were the top two game day coaches. Plus, Young ran the defense, Hobbs ran the offense..

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
Knight leveraged his position at Pitt and his links to NJ to get his spot as the highest paid assistant. Rutgers had to pay more to pouch him. Young and Hobbs were the top two game day coaches. Plus, Young ran the defense, Hobbs ran the defense.

Not sure that’s exactly true on Knight. Knight was offered a position on Stallings staff but it was a demotion and he was also waiting on a chance to be a head coach somewhere.

You may not want to hear it, but that doesn't mean it is an issue.

There are times in the private sector great opportunities are passed because the funding just isn't there. There is not a magic money tree behind the RAC that can be harvested. The practical death of the football team could be an anchor around the entire athletic department that could eventually lead to the removal of us from the B1G. This is a serious problem!

I believe the current TV deal runs through 2023. One would think by the time for renewal the media landscape will have shifted even more (and we will finally have had a recession or in one). Less and less people will have cable TV. Eventually it won't be the amount of people in geographic area that have cable that drive decisions. It will be the amount of the fan base willing to pay to watch games. The fact that we will be in the NYC metro area will be less of a positive.

If the potentially total revenue from a deal results in 10% less revenue a very easy decision could be made to keep schools share the same.

You may not want to hear it, but that doesn't mean it is an issue.

There are times in the private sector great opportunities are passed because the funding just isn't there. There is not a magic money tree behind the RAC that can be harvested. The practical death of the football team could be an anchor around the entire athletic department that could eventually lead to the removal of us from the B1G. This is a serious problem!
For the thousandth time, we’re not getting kicked out of the B1G!

For the thousandth time, we’re not getting kicked out of the B1G!

Not in the next 5 years.

What do we add to the conference?

Are we/ can we make the necessary investments to succeed short, medium, long term?

Is our president and BOD on board with what is needed to compete at a high level?

How many sports do we compete in?

Are we succeeding on the field?

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Not in the next 5 years.

What do we add to the conference?

Are we/ can we make the necessary investments to succeed short, medium, long term?

Is our president and BOD on board with what is needed to compete at a high level?

How many sports do we compete in?

Are we succeeding on the field?
Not ever. There’s a lot more to being in the B1G than just sports.

Wait until total revenue from college sports decline, it is inevitable. You will see how important $ is. There will be major conference shuffling similar to what we saw 5ish years ago.

There are many issues that could ultimately lead to a perfect storm that could/will dramatically change the college landscape. The primary issue is the move away from cable. How many people in 15 years will be watching cable TV? How many millions of people will stop indirectly paying to watch college sports?

Reactions: Rutgers25
Wait until total revenue from college sports decline, it is inevitable. You will see how important $ is. There will be major conference shuffling similar to what we saw 5ish years ago.

There are many issues that could ultimately lead to a perfect storm that could/will dramatically change the college landscape. The primary issue is the move away from cable. How many people in 15 years will be watching cable TV? How many millions of people will stop indirectly paying to watch college sports?
That actually could be a scenario that works in Rutgers favor. As cable shrinks and content ownership is paramount, advertiser still pay for delivery of that content to as many people as possible. In that case the landscape could change to consolidate even further and we could have a scenario of the Power 5 made up of 16 teams each. What may make this possible is that the cost of delivery of content may go down significantly given advances in technology; however, the content itself is becoming more valuable. You do need quality (works against Rutgers right now), but you do need quantity too (works for Rutgers in that it has shown when it wins it can attract audiences in a large market). Comcast, AT&T, Verizon know the issue of cost of content delivery vs value of content, which is why they are on the hunt for content.

I guess Rutgers could get kicked out of the Big Ten someday. It is also possible Auburn will leave the SEC, kick out all women, and change their name back to East Alabama Male College.

Of all things to worry about with this athletic department, getting kicked out of the Big Ten is the least of them.

I guess Rutgers could get kicked out of the Big Ten someday. It is also possible Auburn will leave the SEC, kick out all women, and change their name back to East Alabama Male College.

Auburn has a pretty good FB team. Our program is in shambles.

Bottom line is simple. Rutgers BOD/president needs to change tune regarding budget neutrality, if not, B1G will not tolerate lack of investment.

The solution is a sudden increase in revenue. Without a good football team that doesn't happen.

That actually could be a scenario that works in Rutgers favor. As cable shrinks and content ownership is paramount, advertiser still pay for delivery of that content to as many people as possible. In that case the landscape could change to consolidate even further and we could have a scenario of the Power 5 made up of 16 teams each. What may make this possible is that the cost of delivery of content may go down significantly given advances in technology; however, the content itself is becoming more valuable. You do need quality (works against Rutgers right now), but you do need quantity too (works for Rutgers in that it has shown when it wins it can attract audiences in a large market). Comcast, AT&T, Verizon know the issue of cost of content delivery vs value of content, which is why they are on the hunt for content.

That business model slowly goes away. Individuals will pay for what they want. No one has a LAN line right now. No one will pay for channels they don't want very soon.

utter, complete, asinine, bulls#t about BIG ever kicking RU out--where do these idiots come up with this crap

Go ask original 10 B1G schools about giving up a future equal share of revenue to Rutgers and ask what they think of it now.

That business model slowly goes away. Individuals will pay for what they want. No one has a LAN line right now. No one will pay for channels they don't want very soon.
That presumes that the model will remain "pay for what you want". Right now that seems all the rage. But what if some of your liked content is on Hulu, some on Disney, some on Netflix, some on Amazon, some on Apple? You get the picture. By the time you add it all up, you want a pay one price cable package. Business models have gone full circle in many industries.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Go ask original 10 B1G schools about giving up a future equal share of revenue to Rutgers and ask what they think of it now.

They are/will gladly share with Rutgers because they are/will receive more money because of RU’s membership in the BIG.

Did you graduate from Mason Gross? Because you are one dramatic dude.

GO RU

I agree with your assessment. The net net could be what you say at 50% of today’s price.

The bar will be set lower on what people think they should pay.

The average person is paying way too much for their internet, cable, wireless and actual phone. I think gradually the amount people pay will come down. The next recession may help those prices come down quicker.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT