ADVERTISEMENT

Karl Hobbs to Howard U. Rumor

You may not want to hear it, but that doesn't mean it is an issue.

There are times in the private sector great opportunities are passed because the funding just isn't there. There is not a magic money tree behind the RAC that can be harvested. The practical death of the football team could be an anchor around the entire athletic department that could eventually lead to the removal of us from the B1G. This is a serious problem!

You sound really silly preaching to me about finances and a magical money tree. Do you write for a soap opera?

My point, that you missed, is there are TWO big revenue sports, men’s hoops being second. It is in our financial best interest to INVEST in men’s hoops, as we have momentum, a great coach and a young, quickly improving team. That combination has been really hard for RU to put together in a revenue sport, so when something is happening, we must find a way to INVEST. We need to take advantage of the foundation that Pike has begun to build, invest and develop R Hoops into a money-making winner!

Last edited:
Just a realist.
There is nothing real about your fears about being kicked out of conference. It is histerical nonsense. That does not make you a realist. Just because you want to pretend that you are smarter on this subject than others on the board does not mean it's so.

Reactions: knight82
I am fully aware that only 2 sports matter. I am also fully aware that investing in basketball is a must. It is also possible that the athletic department is red lighted to spend more money.

We are not getting kicked out of the B1G. Barchi would never allow it, not because of sports but for all the other educational and research opportunities. There is no way to put a price on that end. If at some point the B1G requires more investment in FB/BB in order to remain, which is not going to happen, Barchi and the Board will pay up.

2 main reasons the B1G have added Rutgers (middle of NY/Philly market) and Maryland (DMV market), market shares and $$$ are the reasons neither team will ever get kicked out. No other team out there cover those markets or have brought as much money to the B1G, no matter if they go winless or undefeated.

Reactions: satnom and rucoe89
2 main reasons the B1G have added Rutgers (middle of NY/Philly market) and Maryland (DMV market), market shares and $$$ are the reasons neither team will ever get kicked out. No other team out there cover those markets or have brought as much money to the B1G, no matter if they go winless or undefeated.

Exactly. They don’t really care if we win so long as they have TV subscription dollars flowing in, which they do. Rutgers has been a small windfall for the B1G.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT