ADVERTISEMENT

Keith Sargent's article on facilities

Well this is quite the turn of events. Glad to see the school is responding. Now it's time for action. Time for JH to get the donations and Lesniak to get the state to make contributions.

Does anybody actually believe this?

"As Rutgers continues to navigate its first season in the Big Ten, we are aware of the challenges facing athletics. The President is committed to supporting all of our intercollegiate sports, including men's and women's basketball.''

Article makes it look, to me, like the donations is mainly being used to cut down subsidies and a portion for upgrades.
Looks like Julie is being given a bad rap about getting boosters to give because of what those donations are being used for.

Hopefully this is the start of some serious dialogue between the state politicians and RU on athletics, one in which RU will not get slammed for spending....F Christie because he has his own problems and will be gone soon. Its time something to get done. Sargeant did a good job, he didn't slam Julie. I love Lesniak quotes and I think RUs responses to some questions were good as well.

This board should come up with a hashtag used for tweets supporting a change in RU Basketball funding.

#SaveOurScarlet

#SupportRutgers

Something of that nature. #CHOPNation really took on a life of its own. It can stir the pot.

Originally posted by MADHAT1:
Article makes it look, to me, like the donations is mainly being used to cut down subsidies and a portion for upgrades.
Looks like Julie is being given a bad rap about getting boosters to give because of what those donations are being used for.
Exactly. That is the hand that is being dealt to Hermann. Like her, hate her, or indifferent to her, the issue is not her. She is being tasked to cover operating expenses and reduce reliance on subsidy by a specific target which is hard enough. Only AFTER they cover operating expenses can they think of using any leftover donor money on facilities! Absolutely absurd that Politi tried to drop this in her lap. Lesniak, a big Pernetti guy, at least knows that the problem is with Barchi and his boss and they are the ones with the power to do something about it.

I read the article and have a couple questions. Why does everybody want any politician involved whether he/she appears to be pro RU or not? Shouldn't the President(which I realize appears to be a doorknob) and the AD be looking to distance themselves from any political maneuvering?

I know NU is different than at RU but any politician who has stuck their nose into anything NU found it to be professional suicide and never got re-elected to so much as the local school board.

I'm just curious why anybody wants the government involved. RU needs to stand on its own and run their business their way. JMO

Nebraska is not NJ. We want the state to find ways to help fund this. If not through public funds, which I would prefer, find ways to help Rutgers support things. Rutgers problem is that it does not have the revenue stream (yet) to fund what it needs to compete. At least in the B1G we know it's coming. We have to get from here to there. And we need a practice facility
Posted from Rivals Mobile

because the general thinking by politicians is to be anti sports and RU spends too much on it. Here we have a guy who is a RU alum who feels like the rest of us that basketball has been neglected and the school should invest in it. If we can change the climate just a little bit and more politicians agree with Lesniak then perhaps we will not get slammed when we do spend money on athletic projects and perhaps the media lays off

Plus this an urgent situation, you have to go with any lifeline that is thrown, the program is a total wreck with regards to infrastructure. Its needs any and all help it can get. Its always good to get a diaologue going

Originally posted by huskersalways:
I read the article and have a couple questions. Why does everybody want any politician involved whether he/she appears to be pro RU or not? Shouldn't the President(which I realize appears to be a doorknob) and the AD be looking to distance themselves from any political maneuvering?

I know NU is different than at RU but any politician who has stuck their nose into anything NU found it to be professional suicide and never got re-elected to so much as the local school board.

I'm just curious why anybody wants the government involved. RU needs to stand on its own and run their business their way. JMO
Huskers,

If I am reading NU's budget correctly you receive about $729MM/year from the State of Nebraska. Rutgers receives just north of $260MM. The last thing any University wants is politicians abdicating financial responsibility for the State University. Our funding from the State has been reduced by over 25% in the last seven years. What do you think would happen if Nebraska lost $182MM/year (a 25% reduction) state support by 2021?

I am no fan of big(ger) Government, but as it relates to State Universities it is a huge source of funding.

Originally posted by ColonelRutgers:

Exactly. That is the hand that is being dealt to Hermann. Like her, hate her, or indifferent to her, the issue is not her. She is being tasked to cover operating expenses and reduce reliance on subsidy by a specific target which is hard enough. Only AFTER they cover operating expenses can they think of using any leftover donor money on facilities! Absolutely absurd that Politi tried to drop this in her lap. Lesniak, a big Pernetti guy, at least knows that the problem is with Barchi and his boss and they are the ones with the power to do something about it.
that's why I blasted Politi here and on twitter because he was simply lying about her giving up. It was absurd. Julie is under orders to reduce the subsidy...what AD does not like to spend money. They all love to spend spend spend. She is no different and clearly would if given the option. Politi is a douche for throwing her under the bus. Now hopefully those TP ballhuggers do not join in with their attacks on her. Its not about her. TP isn't coming. I still see a few on twitter that have not moved on and act like TP never left us with a mess. Its not about either of them. Its about coming together and putting pressure on Barchi, the BOG, and the NJ politicians to let money be spent to help our basketball program survive

Although I'd rather have Lesniak support Rutgers instead of tear it down as other politicians like to do, I am very uneasy with politicians getting involved with anything at Rutgers. I am dubious whether Lesniak is using Rutgers as a pawn in a political fight with Christy or if he is truly supporting Rutgers (especially in light of his comment that he can't embrace facility improvements at this time from a financial perspective).

Doing it on our own has not worked. Back in the 90s, the state helped rebuild the football stadium. Time to do it again.

First of all, this is not politically motivated, as I am a Democrat.

But, wasn't Lesniak, along with Gov. Corzine, behind a grand plan to fund another athletic facility at RU (football stadium?)? They were to lead the drive which ended up as an abject failure. Am I recalling correctly?

well from reading the comments it looks like a few of the loser RU fans have decided to use this as a way to bash Julie and say bring back Pernetti....lol...the guy was responsible for our biggest scandal in history and they still lick his balls. MOVE ON...some douche talking about Kate Sweeney good lord MOVE ON

that's why we can never get anything done here...everyone with their petty vendettas instead of focusing on putting the pressure where it belongs and work together

Originally posted by bac2therac:

well from reading the comments it looks like a few of the loser RU fans have decided to use this as a way to bash Julie and say bring back Pernetti....lol...the guy was responsible for our biggest scandal in history and they still lick his balls. MOVE ON...some douche talking about Kate Sweeney good lord MOVE ON

that's why we can never get anything done here...everyone with their petty vendettas instead of focusing on putting the pressure where it belongs and work together
Anybody that's wants Pernetti back hates basketball. The guy made the worst hire in the 249 history of Rutgers University, took 2 years to replace the broken light bulbs in the 300 level of the RAC and claimed he wasn't able to fire Rice. The same guy who fired the previous coach for going to see his father's baseball team. I hate to dump on Pernetti because I know he loves RU but give it up already.

I generally like Pernetti. He is a good guy, loyal and bleeds Scarlet. He tried to do what he thought might be the right thing with rehabbing Rice and it actually was working but he simply did not have any plan for when the video came out and that was his undoing. If he made a plan to thwart it then he may have been here today

that being said he wasn't the one who got us into the Big 10..he closed the deal but the dye was cast with Uncle Bob and Greg.

The longing for him while he botched the whole Rice thing is absurd. Yes Barchi threw him under the bus but at the end of the day it needed to happen for RU to move on.

Originally posted by RutgHoops:

Originally posted by huskersalways:

Huskers,

If I am reading NU's budget correctly you receive about $729MM/year from the State of Nebraska. Rutgers receives just north of $260MM. The last thing any University wants is politicians abdicating financial responsibility for the State University. Our funding from the State has been reduced by over 25% in the last seven years. What do you think would happen if Nebraska lost $182MM/year (a 25% reduction) state support by 2021?

I am no fan of big(ger) Government, but as it relates to State Universities it is a huge source of funding.
I agree I wouldn't want to see anyone's budget get whacked but to me you are dragging an entirely different issue into the funding of RU athletics. The athletic budget is confined to what money is inside the funding numbers($260MM) and the revenues of the athletic department plus donations from donors. To me no state government should be obligated to fund anything for a schools athletic program outside of what is provided in the yearly budget. I don't read the article like the politician who is attacking the President and BOG is saying that the state should fund more, that he thinks the President needs to funnel more budget money to the athletic department. That is an area, to me, that he can say whatever he wants as an alum but shouldn't use his political spot to voice his own position. Do I think RU hoops needs some money and improvements, sure, but using politics/politicians to get it is a mistake. Much like with your budget cuts, once big brother get their foot in the door they are impossible to get out. Keep the politicians to bankrupting our states and leave athletics to people who deal with it on a daily basis. If RU wants to upgrade things then it is on the President, BOG, AD, and the fans. JMO Thanks

Originally posted by ruman:
Nebraska is not NJ. We want the state to find ways to help fund this.
I think you are not reading that closely...as many just want RU Leadership to do the same that most other schools were able to do: "Sell a vision and secure PRIVATE FUNDS FOR A NEW PRACTICE FACILITY".

Maybe that's the problem for so many...they are 2nd and 3rd generations of RU Alumni (maybe many brought up in their work place) just so used to waiting around for the state/fed/government to pay for everything.

I think RU Fans just want hope...and its actually FREE to sell hope...and with a good sell on the future...$$$$ can come in SPECIFICALLY for a practice facility IF leadership shows what could be done with those $$$.

This post was edited on 2/25 7:30 AM by Knight_Light

"The report quoted Barchi as saying the new athletics dollars will be used for scholarships and other purposes but wouldn't be earmarked for facility upgrades. Barchi's statement supported a widespread belief that Hermann had been tasked by top university officials with raising money to support her department's $76.6 million operational budget, and in turn trimming a $36.3 million subsidy from the school's general fund."

images

Not ready for B1G time.

This post was edited on 2/24 11:32 PM by RC85

"the university administration and the athletic director should be the
ones pushing for a plan to make the basketball program Big Ten-ready."quote fro Lesiniak. Lesniak has never been a fan of Barchi and Herman is thrown into Barchi's camp--- my read has always been that in his eyes they are not mutually exclusive and in reality he's calling them all Christie pawns. How that helps RU under it's current leadership is very questionable--isn't Barchi still president until further notice??

If you want your money to go directly to facilities upgrades you need to be selective around what fund to donate to. If you donate directly to the Big 10 Build Fund or (if you want to support MBB directly) the Rac Renovation fund those donations will go directly to facilities.

Bac. You are doing a good thing, but comments like this are stupid and childish, and far beneath you. You don't have to sink to the level of idiots.

Originally posted by Upstream:
Although I'd rather have Lesniak support Rutgers instead of tear it down as other politicians like to do, I am very uneasy with politicians getting involved with anything at Rutgers. I am dubious whether Lesniak is using Rutgers as a pawn in a political fight with Christy or if he is truly supporting Rutgers (especially in light of his comment that he can't embrace facility improvements at this time from a financial perspective).
I'm skeptical like you and not eager to see politicians involved in anything RU. Let's look no further than guys like Sweeney. Now Lesniak is an alum so that makes me feel a little better but you know how they are. No matter the political persuasion (D or R), they will all flip flop you on a dime and will do whatever suits their political needs of the moment.

The only way I see any politicians helping is if they could help fundraise for the school. Maybe open up some contacts to their pool of political donors. I don't think there would be any problem with that but I'm not familiar with the laws on that kind of stuff. As to the issuing debt, I'm less eager because these guys will say one thing in one second and then skewer us the next just like the media. It would take a lot of public unabashed support from these politicians to make me feel better. Let them take the hits along side us without being able to flip flop.

Originally posted by mrslate:
Bac. You are doing a good thing, but comments like this are stupid and childish, and far beneath you. You don't have to sink to the level of idiots.

why? because I get incessed that everytime there is a story about the athletic department people have to bring up Tim Pernetti....these people HAVE to stop...its almost two years after the fact, it would be like me saying bring back Mike Rice. Its over with, he is gone. These people never gave Julie a chance, never accepted and quite frankly some of them are homophobes because they bringing Sweeneys name up. They are no friends of Rutgers. Instead of talking about the basketball program in that article some of them uses as another Bash Julie opportunity and to whine about Tim. Sorry I call it like I see it. I have no problem with Tim. He is a loyal son who worked hard and meant well for Rutgers. Its his cultish followers who I am all about calling out.

why? because I get incessed that everytime there is a story about the athletic department people have to bring up Tim Pernetti....these people HAVE to stop...its almost two years after the fact, it would be like me saying bring back Mike Rice. Its over with, he is gone. These people never gave Julie a chance, never accepted and quite frankly some of them are homophobes because they bringing Sweeneys name up. They are no friends of Rutgers. Instead of talking about the basketball program in that article some of them uses as another Bash Julie opportunity and to whine about Tim. Sorry I call it like I see it. I have no problem with Tim. He is a loyal son who worked hard and meant well for Rutgers. Its his cultish followers who I am all about calling out.
I think its fair to mention both...as they both have a 180 degree opposite way to push/sell RU.

Even if you didn't agree with Tim's style...he was "out front, basically the face of RU Athletics".

That's almost the complete opposite of Julie's style (stay in background, doesn't "sell" RU to the public at every potential opportunity...as it "appears" she doesn't like to "sell, glad-hand, fundraise, etc...like Tim did, at least publicly).

Interesting thing is both styles can work in the long run...but since many RU Boosters and fans were used to and were glad to see Tim outfront in the media so often....that's almost 180 degrees different from Julie's style.

WRONG....for one ADs are suppose to do their work behind the scenes anyway in terms of major fundraising. Secondly Julie is visible at pretty much every event and is very approachable. She was talking with the Riot Squad shaking hands at the game on Sunday. She was talking to people at the Spring Game and the Big 10 Inaugral event as well as all the other events around the state. She makes the rounds at the Audi Club so no I don't see where you argument comes from. So she isn't as accessible to the media..big deal, those aren't fans, she is accessible to them and the donors and that's all that matters.

They were have bashed any AD that came in after Tim. Look I didn't like it either that he was canned but then you move on and then you think about it and say well he did f up, he has no one to blame but himself

I understand your point, Bac, but if you want to be taken seriously in this serious matter, you need to stop whining yourself, and stop using words like "douchebag," and phrases like "lick his balls." You might consider relaxing too.

I think he was referring to the oral stimulation of the pouch comment ...

I was a big Christie fan but I still have the email response he sent me back in response to a letter I wrote back on the TP thing and knew then he was the one pulling the strings. His letter made that very clear.

We simply need a new President who values athletics and understands how you can have a balanced approach. One that can take some time to fully develop, but for god's sake have a plan and get started.

Love this exposure. As we all know Rutgers never does anything until embarrassed in the media.

Like I mentioned above, I wonder if there's anyway to get all these politicians together to unite in a common goal to fundraise for the state's flagship university. Considering they have their little fiefdoms it may be unrealistic but that's the one thing where they can be helpful through their networks of political donors. It would be like having that meeting Schiano had with the state's top recruits when he got here but this would be with the state's politicians.

Show them how far we are behind other state universities and that if you're going to cut our funding at least help us out in other ways that don't cost anything but some time and effort. It doesn't even have to be for athletics alone, it could be for the endowment, sciences, arts whatever thing their political donors may have interest in. Their donors are likely to be local so they too may have some interest/pride in seeing the level of their state university raised. Could even make it a sort of annual fundraising type thing.

It doesn't involve issuing debt, doesn't cost the tax payer a penny but just takes some pride and caring about the state's flagship university and wanting to make it top notch across the board. I've always said it's going to take new donors and local unaffiliated donors/businesses to get involved and maybe this could be another avenue to break into that "market."

I was watching a bit of the Arkansas/A&M game last night at Bud Walton arena. He's the brother of the founder but I'm not sure he went there. I know Sam Walton didn't and some of their family has but I don't think all of them did but they're boosters. I wonder if we couldn't convince a guy like Woody Johnson to be the same. We know he has interest in sports. His family is part of the history of New Brunswick. Forget about JNJ, they do donate to the academic side of the school, because pharmas don't plaster their names on things but I'm talking about the actual heirs like Woody. Is there a more natural kind of donor for us, never mind a deep pocketed one like him. That would be a place where Christie might be able to help as I think Woody is a donor to republicans.

To me this is the best way politicians can be helpful. Like I said above though, it may be pie in the sky la la land utopia nonsense to think politicians could join together in this manner as opposed to taking easy pot shots from the cheap seats.

This post was edited on 2/25 10:15 AM by rutgersguy1

sorry but that's a pipe dream--they will not get together especially when they are jockeying for their position in upcoming elections--all this press to me is more to help political agendas rather than to necessarily help the basketball program--lesinak has been on the offensive for months against Barchi/christie and this just gave him a convient platform--I'm curious to see if Sweeny chirps in --now that would be interesting

I will agree that these politicians are generally in it for themselves and just to get people on their side but this situation is dire and at least this gives a chance for some dialogue and to ruffle feathers of the hirer ups

that's why I blasted Politi here and on twitter because he was simply lying about her giving up. It was absurd. Julie is under orders to reduce the subsidy...what AD does not like to spend money. They all love to spend spend spend. She is no different and clearly would if given the option. Politi is a douche for throwing her under the bus.
Bac-

I agree 100% about Politi. But, it's time for Julie to grow up and stop her refusal to speak to the media, except for email. To be sure, she's been treated unfairly, but it is childish to refuse live interviews and it is not helping RU's efforts to get the word out about the athletic program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT