ADVERTISEMENT

Keith Sargent's article on facilities

Originally posted by ru66:
sorry but that's a pipe dream--they will not get together especially when they are jockeying for their position in upcoming elections--all this press to me is more to help political agendas rather than to necessarily help the basketball program--lesinak has been on the offensive for months against Barchi/christie and this just gave him a convient platform--I'm curious to see if Sweeny chirps in --now that would be interesting
I don't disagree it could be and admitted as much. But in my mind, that's about the only way I want any of these politicians getting near Rutgers. It doesn't cost them anything, doesn't open them up to hits politically and has rallying cry of some state pride but again if even that is a pipe dream then I'm very skeptical of having any of them associated with us.

This post was edited on 2/25 10:24 AM by rutgersguy1

Originally posted by bac2therac:

WRONG....for one ADs are suppose to do their work behind the scenes anyway in terms of major fundraising. Secondly Julie is visible at pretty much every event and is very approachable. She was talking with the Riot Squad shaking hands at the game on Sunday. She was talking to people at the Spring Game and the Big 10 Inaugral event as well as all the other events around the state. She makes the rounds at the Audi Club so no I don't see where you argument comes from. So she isn't as accessible to the media..big deal, those aren't fans, she is accessible to them and the donors and that's all that matters.

They were have bashed any AD that came in after Tim. Look I didn't like it either that he was canned but then you move on and then you think about it and say well he did f up, he has no one to blame but himself
When RU came to Lincoln for football I, along with some RU people, walked from our hotel to the stadium with JH and Sarah Baumgartnet(sp). I found them both to be very personable even knowing there was zero chance of getting a check out of me. JH and me had a very nice conversation about the Big 10 and her NU roots. If you think she isn't out front enough you would hate the NU guy. 99% of the he is hidden from anybody. When you do see him he is very friendly but he is not a "people" person. He knows how to get people to write checks but you never see him talking to the media or discussing future plans for anything to the general public. If you have a suite for NU football games he will come by once a season to say thanks(and usually ask for more money) and you can go into his suite and say hi if you have one in West stadium but you never see him in public or talking to the media just to "inform" them of how everything is going.

What is being inferred to me:

- Barchi is about managing his budget first, academics 2nd, and everything else 3rd
- Julie is doing the best that she can but is working under a tight budget with her boss telling her to cut the subsidy
- Lesniak and Christie are playing politics
- While public funding would be great for an arena it will be tough since the Prudential Center was privately funded and the IZOD center is closing.

We are basically in a holding pattern with minor upgrade spending until we get a full portion of our B10 money. A new basketball practice facility would probably cost over $10 mil

Alabama's new facility:
The new Men's Basketball Practice Facility was completed in summer 2011 at a cost of roughly $2,000,000. Covering over 20,000 square feet, it is one of the premier men's basketball training facilities in all of college basketball.
http://www.crimsontidehoops.com/Facilities/Practice_Facility/

LSU's new facility
The $15 million LSU Basketball Practice Facility officially opened its doors on Sept. 23, 2010, culminating years of vision, planning and a groundbreaking that occurred in the summer of 2008.
http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205015500

West Virginia's new facility
In February 2012, West Virginia University opened the $24.1 million, 64,000-square foot Basketball Practice Facility, allowing both the men’s and women’s programs to continue to reach new levels of success on and off the court, while honoring past achievement and tradition.
http://www.wvusports.com/page.cfm?section=18089

What can be done is a plan with the goal of breaking ground in 5 years.

This post was edited on 2/25 11:00 AM by RUfinal4

We don't need public funding. What we need is a 30 million dollar loan and to not have anyone bitch about it because it is the right thing to do. With interest rates today I estimate the payment would be about 1.2 million a year for that loan. That is a number Julie should be able to come up with whether it is taken out of the athletic budget or acquired through donations.

They have to cut the subsidy down -- at least in half. Rutgers operates on the largest subsidy in the country, with our current shitty facilities. That is not on the administration, that is on the fans for not supporting the program. If the donors don't come forward, it sucks for the people who do care, but money talks.

The argument that the State should put up public funds for something the school's fans don't care enough to financially support is ludicrous. Its not like RU has half the funds raised, and the State/Administration are blocking us from financing the second half. They have nearly nothing. Not even 10%.

The University is a University first. It is not an athletics feeder program. Barchi has to keep the entire school's financial house in order. People are asking the impossible. If he started pouring unlimited funds into a loser basketball program, other projects and other missions would fail. Legislators would criticize out of control spending, and seek to tighten controls on RU governance even further. They would use it as an excuse to cut a budget that is already one of the lowest per capita in the nation. See the big picture people.

The school has been in the fight of its life the past 10 years with State funding, governance and the acquisition of UMDNJ. Rutgers is winning, but that fight is not over. Everything that is done is criticized by the papers, and scrutinized by our corrupt politicians. To make a major financial move for a cause outside of the core mission that donors of the school cannot even get behind would be a terrible mistake. Barchi and the current BOG/BOT recognize this.
This post was edited on 2/25 11:26 AM by Ole Cabbagehead

final4...that pretty much covers it

brad...you are right...that is reasonable...its all about getting the politicians off of RU's back and giving approval to go forward with this. Julie has to do her job to raising money and planning

Originally posted by brad1218:

We don't need public funding. What we need is a 30 million dollar loan and to not have anyone bitch about it because it is the right thing to do. With interest rates today I estimate the payment would be about 1.2 million a year for that loan. That is a number Julie should be able to come up with whether it is taken out of the athletic budget or acquired through donations.
I believe the debt RU incurred because of the RU-UMDNJ merger and paying off RU Stadium expansion would hold the BOG and Barchi back from giving Hermann the go ahead to take out loan, no matter how low the interest rate is.

Barchi is insisting Julie cut subsidies from the Athletic Budget and make the Athletic Department revenue neutral ,
I don't think adding debt is part of his plan and part of the money Julie raises from boosters is going towards replacing
the subsidies taken out of her Athletic Department budget.

if real money was raised by donors--and I mean everyone, not just the $1milion guys-to support a facility improvement ,it would make getting $ to cover shortfall in loans or from the state much more feasible and justified --but there seems to be nothing on the table-- it seems rudderless---there's no committment other than jibberish

Originally posted by RUfinal4:
What is being inferred to me:

- Barchi is about managing his budget first, academics 2nd, and everything else 3rd
- Julie is doing the best that she can but is working under a tight budget with her boss telling her to cut the subsidy
- Lesniak and Christie are playing politics
- While public funding would be great for an arena it will be tough since the Prudential Center was privately funded and the IZOD center is closing.

We are basically in a holding pattern with minor upgrade spending until we get a full portion of our B10 money. A new basketball practice facility would probably cost over $10 mil

Alabama's new facility:
The new Men's Basketball Practice Facility was completed in summer 2011 at a cost of roughly $2,000,000. Covering over 20,000 square feet, it is one of the premier men's basketball training facilities in all of college basketball.
http://www.crimsontidehoops.com/Facilities/Practice_Facility/

LSU's new facility
The $15 million LSU Basketball Practice Facility officially opened its doors on Sept. 23, 2010, culminating years of vision, planning and a groundbreaking that occurred in the summer of 2008.
http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205015500

West Virginia's new facility
In February 2012, West Virginia University opened the $24.1 million, 64,000-square foot Basketball Practice Facility, allowing both the men's and women's programs to continue to reach new levels of success on and off the court, while honoring past achievement and tradition.
http://www.wvusports.com/page.cfm?section=18089

What can be done is a plan with the goal of breaking ground in 5 years.

This post was edited on 2/25 11:00 AM by RUfinal4
you missed that my local high school (Hunterdon Central) just snuck a $1.9mil athlete's training facility into the budget under the BS notion that it would serve as a physical education classroom during the day and a place for all the students to work out after school including the school's athletic teams.
roll.r191677.gif

WRONG....for one ADs are suppose to do their work behind the scenes anyway in terms of major fundraising.
Sounds like you keep making excuses for RU's current AD style of selling.

There are plenty of examples of "outfront" AD's like Louisville's Tom Jurich, former WVU AD Oliver Luck, etc...

Those gentlemen became successful because both were the FACE of their Athletic Dept and sold their "product" every chance they got (i.e. they never missed a TV camera, radio mic or reporter to speak their mind/sell their program).

if real money was raised by donors--and I mean everyone, not just the $1milion guys-to support a facility improvement ,it would make getting $ to cover shortfall in loans or from the state much more feasible and justified --but there seems to be nothing on the table-- it seems rudderless---there's no committment other than jibberish
Real money is being raised, but a lot of that is being used to cover what school funding is being cut from the Athletic Department's budget and with Stadium expansion debt on the books and the merger debt needed to be paid, don't
expect any loans to upgrade any RU sport to be approved by the BOG , no matter how badly it's needed by that program.

It's easy to condemn someone for perceived faults , but unless there are Boone Pickens and Phil Knight types among the boosters,you will get the same problem Julie has now from anyone ( including Mulcahy and Pernetti) sitting in the RU AD chair.

Originally posted by Knight_Light:

WRONG....for one ADs are suppose to do their work behind the scenes anyway in terms of major fundraising.

There are plenty of examples of "outfront" AD's like Louisville's Tom Jurich, former WVU AD Oliver Luck, etc...

Those gentlemen became successful because both were the FACE of their Athletic Dept and sold their "product" every chance they got (i.e. they never missed a TV camera, radio mic or reporter to speak their mind/sell their program).
I think she's fine glad handing the people who matter and is very approachable to anyone from students to big wigs. Even our resident Husker fan here liked her and SB.

As far as her dealing with the media, I don't have a single issue with it and said it should probably be the same playbook any future ADs use. They are only looking to tear down and take cheap shots. You can't compare the level to other places. Jurich hired Petrino back in spite of what happened in Arksansas and prior in Lousville not to mention. Did he take much flack for it? Nope, some but not much and then it was forgotten. Now recently Petrino pulled a scholly from a recruit late in the recruiting season. Petrino got flack for it but did Jurich? Not much that I saw. You think JH or any other AD here would have gotten off so easy. No way. Most ADs across the country don't face this sort of media. No one will face as hostile a media as the RU athletic director. Keep them at arms length. She's not keeping donors, alums, etc.. at arm's length.

Even with Luck, he got them a life raft off the sinking BE ship and into the B12. If that was the RU AD you know how that would have been portrayed. Oh look they spent 20M on exit fees and they're in a conference where they are a completely geographical misfit and travel costs have gone up. It wouldn't have been praise it would have been ridicule. Even moving to the B10 there was some talk about how we'd increase our spending in athletics so it's not so awesome as everyone thinks. We hit the jackpot and we still got a little flack, think about that.

This post was edited on 2/25 12:14 PM by rutgersguy1

raise money specifically earmarked for the facility and why are we so OK with accepting failure/delay--who is in the best and most appropriate position to fight for RU bball---you know it is OK to stand up to your boss for what you believe in unless you lack complete confidence or have no support -its been done before-- or maybe our problem is that the athletic department is actually on the same page as barchi and having a working relationship with the press always helps
This post was edited on 2/25 12:24 PM by ru66

Originally posted by Upstream:
Although I'd rather have Lesniak support Rutgers instead of tear it down as other politicians like to do, I am very uneasy with politicians getting involved with anything at Rutgers. I am dubious whether Lesniak is using Rutgers as a pawn in a political fight with Christy or if he is truly supporting Rutgers (especially in light of his comment that he can't embrace facility improvements at this time from a financial perspective).
Upstream, at this point does it matter if Lesniak is "using" Rutgers as a pawn against that pos Christie? I don't care how this gets done, but it needs to get done NOW, not seven years from now. That is just absurd. Thank god Barchi is gone in 2016 and so will Christie.

raise money specifically earmarked for the facility and why are we so OK with accepting failure/delay--who is in the best and most appropriate position to fight for RU bball---you know it is OK to stand up to your boss for what you believe in unless you lack complete confidence or have no support -its been done before-- or maybe our problem is that the athletic department is actually on the same page as barchi and having a working relationship with the press always helps

This post was edited on 2/25 12:24 PM by ru66
I can't believe this is the edited version.

You realize the irony in identifying 2 of like 345 athletic directors, right? Very, very few AD's are visible to anyone outside the fan base.

Originally posted by Ole Cabbagehead:

Very, very few AD's are visible to anyone outside the fan base.
Others such as ND's Swarbrick, Haden at USC, former FSU and Alabama AD and current Tennessee AD David Hart, Osborne at Nebraska, Del Conte at TCU plus more...all "upfront" AD's who are all great salesmen.

RU needs an upfront Salesmen (or Saleswoman), much more so than a quiet administrator.

quite frankly I could not identify more than a couple ADs by name let alone know what they look like, for that matter ADs are not talked about..they just aren't..you are wrong here.

Although I'd rather have Lesniak support Rutgers instead of tear it down as other politicians like to do, I am very uneasy with politicians getting involved with anything at Rutgers. I am dubious whether Lesniak is using Rutgers as a pawn in a political fight with Christy or if he is truly supporting Rutgers (especially in light of his comment that he can't embrace facility improvements at this time from a financial perspective).
My best friend is from Union-Elizabeth area and he knows Lesniak for a long time. Although Lesniak is an RU grad he is also about the most corrupt politician in the state, bar none. If he is going to bat for RU it is only to further his own political cause. Just talking about Ray Lesniak makes me feel like I need a shower. Guy is a true skeeve.

Originally posted by Knightmoves:

My best friend is from Union-Elizabeth area and he knows Lesniak for a long time. Although Lesniak is an RU grad he is also about the most corrupt politician in the state, bar none. If he is going to bat for RU it is only to further his own political cause. Just talking about Ray Lesniak makes me feel like I need a shower. Guy is a true skeeve.
Who isn't? Norcoss, Sweeney, Christie, and the list goes on save for a select few and they stay out of issues like this.

Shady politicians will survive longer than the little cockroaches that roam the earth. I'd rather have one in Rutgers corner than not.

Know when Haden was "out there"? When he went down to the sideline during the game to berate an official. And then had to step down from the CFB Committee.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

quite frankly I could not identify more than a couple ADs by name let alone know what they look like....
Ok...but that's a you problem....as plenty of them are getting the job done obviously by being able to build basketball practice facilities all over the country, many with just private donations for funding.

No wonder you think certain AD's are doing a great job...because you don't know any others.

quite frankly I could not identify more than a couple ADs by name let alone know what they look like....
Ok...but that's a you problem....as plenty of them are getting the job done obviously by being able to build basketball practice facilities all over the country, many with just private donations for funding.

No wonder you think certain AD's are doing a great job...because you don't know any others.
Actually no, he's the rule not the exception. Most fans across the country will be hard pressed to name 5 ADs anywhere. They operate in the background, they are not out in front of the media. Many of these guys can fundraise because they much greater support than RU ever has. As I've said many times, the AD than can fundraise significantly here will be the first.

How hard is it to fundraise at Michigan/ND/OSU or any of those places with great tradition. A chimp could do it. Donors are generally eager and willing because of the long history and tradition. A place like ECU where you showed their facilities is an exception but they're sports crazy in that area. I give their fans and alums a ton of credit. Most of the other small schools that have done it have had some success to facilitate it, similar to how we got the stadium rammed through even without private funds. VCU/Butler/Wichita State all had some renovations and increases in coaching budgets but not just out of the blue. It's because they have had success and that facilitates fundraising and support from the admin.

How many places have made significant strides in private funding of these things without success or a long history/tradition in one of their 2 major programs (football/basketball)? I'm sure the list is short. UCF/USF made improvement recently. You're a UCF fan. How much of that was private? How much of USFs was? I don't know the answer but if anything significant to the total costs of those projects, then I'd say you're the exception. It's hard to kickstart these things without winning or at least history/tradition of the major sports.

This post was edited on 2/27 11:41 AM by rutgersguy1

Originally posted by Knightmoves:

My best friend is from Union-Elizabeth area and he knows Lesniak for a long time. Although Lesniak is an RU grad he is also about the most corrupt politician in the state, bar none. If he is going to bat for RU it is only to further his own political cause.

=========
Good

Originally posted by rutgersguy1:

A place like ECU where you showed their facilities is an exception but they're sports crazy in that area.
ECU's Greenville, NC is basketball crazed area? For a team that has been to just 2 NCAA Tourn appearances in their 80 plus year history? (Only once since 1974).

That's what your going with as to why ECU can secure private donations for their basketball practice facility for a mostly historically failed basketball program but RU can't?

A place like ECU where you showed their facilities is an exception but they're sports crazy in that area.
ECU's Greenville, NC is basketball crazed area? For a team that has been to just 2 NCAA Tourn appearances in their 80 plus year history? (Only once since 1974).

That's what your going with as to why ECU can secure private donations for their basketball practice facility for a mostly historically failed basketball program but RU can't?
No they're not a basketball crazed area but they do like their sports teams which is what I said. My brother just lives a little outside of there and dated a few people who went to school there and they are a definitely a passionate fan base for their sports, specifically football. They practically feel a little separate from the rest of North Carolina, a little kingdom to themselves. So with that chip on that shoulder they are passionate with their support. We're actually our own state but rather than take pride in that most want to be either part of NYC or Philly. If there's anything that can be all NJ, it's the state university but instead of support like ECU, it's derision/ridicule/find fault from the general public, to the media, to the politicians.

I think they have the highest average attendance for football for a school outside the P5. They have no qualms about paying the full cost of tuition for their athletes too now that it seems we're heading in that direction. I know their last AD Terry Holland was very big on doing anything and everything to get them to the BE at that time. So they do a lot to support their teams, mainly football but it can bleed over to other things like this. Regardless of this, I said I give a ton of credit to their fans and alums and said as much. They are an exception though where they were able to fundraise privately all of the cost without either history/tradition or short term winning. How many other places can say that in similar circumstances where they raise a major portion privately without one of those. It happens but they are more exceptions to the rule which is what I said. I notice you didn't answer my question about UCF and USF about how much was raised privately against the total cost of the projects they did. I'm guessing a large portion or majority came from the universities.

That's why I mention if you have a nice history and tradition in either of the 2 major sports like a Michigan/OSU/Auburn that big time support for one of the main sports can bleed over to support for other sports. We don't have that. We stink at basketball and we are just barely mediocre at football. We haven't won enough in either to get things moving. Like I said just off 1 season and a couple bowl game we got the stadium rammed through. That's how the VCUs/Butlers/Wichita States etc. get things done too. They capitalize on their short term success. If we were making NCAA tourneys in MBB, I think this would be a much easier task to fundraise for. So again we don't have a long history/tradition in the 2 main sports nor do we have any short term success in basketball either of which would help facilitate this project both in terms of fundraising and university support.

No they're not a basketball crazed area but they do like their sports teams which is what I said. My brother just lives a little outside of there and dated a few people who went to school there and they are a definitely a passionate fan base for their sports, specifically football. They practically feel a little separate from the rest of North Carolina, a little kingdom to themselves.
Well, that little kingdom has never supported their basketball program, which is why I mentioned how without any history of hoop success OR real strong support, they were still able to secure $17 Million in donations to build a new basketball practice facility.

Maybe you didn't understand that point since you went with anecdotal information on your bother's dates.

Summary:

Program with very little if any success and without much fan support raised $17 Million for new practice facility.

No they're not a basketball crazed area but they do like their sports teams which is what I said. My brother just lives a little outside of there and dated a few people who went to school there and they are a definitely a passionate fan base for their sports, specifically football. They practically feel a little separate from the rest of North Carolina, a little kingdom to themselves.
Well, that little kingdom has never supported their basketball program, which is why I mentioned how without any history of hoop success OR real strong support, they were still able to secure $17 Million in donations to build a new basketball practice facility.

Maybe you didn't understand that point since you went with anecdotal information on your bother's dates.

Summary:

Program with very little if any success and without much fan support raised $17 Million for new practice facility.
The anecdote was to demonstrate that I've heard through my brother who actually lives near there and who has associated with people who went to school there and live there what the dynamics of their support are. How much do you know about the area? And for a school its size and not even the state school they are very ardent, specifically for football but it doesn't mean it can't bleed over to other sports.

They are the exception not the rule. How many others can you name that have neither long history/tradition of winning or some short term success do it? A handful probably while most others either will need a lot of help from the university. 3rd time I'm asking now how much did UCF/USF raise privately compared to how much the university kicked in for their athletic renovations they did.

Pulling out exceptions don't demonstrate a thing other than exceptions happen. Oh look that struggling woman with 4 kids won the powerball, I suppose I should dump my life savings in it too because she won and maybe I will too. Most places can't build these things without a lot of help from the university if they don't have either history/tradition or short term winning. Majority private funding for these kind of projects usually only happen with one of those factors present.

Summary:

Exception of ECU and maybe a handful of others doesn't demonstrate a thing other than the fact that they are exceptions.

This post was edited on 3/1 10:14 AM by rutgersguy1

Pulling out exceptions don't demonstrate a thing other than exceptions happen.
Exceptions?

Obviously you don't know much about what has been going on in college basketball over the past 10-15 years but if you spent just a few mins reading multiple threads on how virtually EVERY P5 program has new/improved hoop facilities, plus scores and scores and scores of "mid-major" programs, many without any historical success, have done the same.

The only "exception" out there is RU Hoops and how they've basically done nothing over the past 10-15 years to improve their hoop facilities while most of the nation (including lots of schools that have never played in a Big East Conf or a Big Ten Conf) have passed them by yet this Big East/Big Ten program has ZERO plans to do the same in the future.

This post was edited on 3/1 10:42 AM by Knight_Light

Pulling out exceptions don't demonstrate a thing other than exceptions happen.
Exceptions?

Obviously you don't know much about what has been going on in college basketball over the past 10-15 years but if you spent just a few mins reading multiple threads on how virtually EVERY P5 program has new/improved hoop facilities, plus scores and scores and scores of "mid-major" programs, many without any historical success, have done the same.

The only "exception" out there is RU Hoops and how they've basically done nothing over the past 10-15 years to improve their hoop facilities while most of the nation (including lots of schools that have never played in a Big East Conf or a Big Ten Conf) has passed them by yet this Big East/Big Ten program has ZERO plans to do the same in the future.
I've seen the threads and many of the pics you put up. The exception isn't the fact that they get done. The exception is how much is fundraised by majority or entirely through private funds, like ECU, without either a long history/tradition in either major sport or short term winning. A lot of support is needed by the university otherwise.

RU has already given a lot of support for the stadium renovation at 100M and supports the largest subsidy in athletics so they don't have the stomach for more. I don't find that position outlandish for an institution whose main goal is educating students. If we didn't have either of those factors, things might look more promising with regards to university support but we do. We can't act like those factors don't exist. We haven't even received a dime of B10 money yet and the first few years of the B10 will be fairly stagnant (10-11M) before we even see any jumps and then we finally get a full share around the 6th year.

You gave me ECU but how many others who did it with the majority coming from private funds that didn't have history/tradition in one of the 2 major sports or some short term success in basketball. I'm sure there are some but not many. An AD that can move the needle here in fundraising will be the first as I've said quite a few times. An AD that can do it with a losing history like the basketball program deserves a million gold stars and few misses on coaching hires for the major sports. Forget about the athletic department just look at our endowment compared to schools of similar profile. It's not good.

No one says we're not in dire need of these things. But you don't remedy decades of futility and losing overnight and this is long term project regardless of whether the B10 money is on the way or whoever is in the AD chair. If we're not spending more towards the program when the big checks start flowing for a few years then I'd be more upset. Now it's more bide my time unless a miracle donor drops from the sky.

You gave me ECU but how many others who did it with the majority coming from private funds that didn't have history/tradition in one of the 2 major sports or some short term success in basketball.
There have been dozen of threads on this topic over the past year or two...with multiple threads started/posted by others in recent weeks that noted scores of teams that did just that. I even posted plenty of examples in those threads as well.

I'm sorry you are obviously not up on this topic nor take time to either read threads on this topic or spend a few secs researching it yourself on google.

Heck, just the other day, Tango Two posted the NJ.com article that showed videos of 10 top of the line Hoop Facilities, many which I and others have posted on this very site:

http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/index.ssf/2015/02/10_basketball_practice_facilities_that_will_blow_r.html#incart_river
This post was edited on 3/1 11:26 AM by Knight_Light

Silly me actually started reading the comments in the linked article. I liked the one about IU's Assembly Hall and how they are doing just fine in a 40 year old facility.

What the poster failed to mention is that in 2016 it will no longer be Assembly Hali but rather Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall after a booster donated $40 million to be used for renovations.

Even the old palaces that still exist have received or will soon to be receiving major upgrades.

For many reasons, ECU has a very passionate fan base for football, and people who take a lot of pride in their school, despite the fact nobody will confuse it with Yale, or even UNC. (The real school part, that is.)

Look, is this Julie's fault? No, it's not, but we are in a desperate situation here. No, it's not enough to be nice to the people who already are Rutgers supporters. We are in a state were a good chunk of the population not only doesn't care about Rutgers but is actively disdainful of it. And yes, you HAVE to go through the media to try and hack away at the edges of this feeling, because the media is how these people get whatever information they get. So yeah, for that, I give her an F.

And behind-the-scenes is all well and good at a place where things actually get done. But here? You have to be out front. You have to work on what will be a very long process of not only fundraising but changing the perception of a flagship state university among the people it already serves.

And as for the subsidy, guess what? Some of us agree that getting that down should be the No. 1 priority. No question about it. I would much rather see the rather dramatic long-range plan for College Avenue come to fruition than have a good basketball team. I am a bigger fan of Rutgers University than I am of Rutgers sports. Sorry if that offends some people here, but I am. To see that campus look like a Big Ten school would be a dream come true, and that quad extending from the Barn to the river would be awesome.

That being said, there's no reason you can't have fundraising campaigns for targeted goals. What we want for basketball is a heck of a lot cheaper than what the strategic plan calls for on campus.

I am not a fan of the way Julie was hired, but I am not actively opposed to her, either. But if anything happened like what has happened in her past, would Barchi throw her under the bus as well? You don't think knowing that affects how she goes about her business? It has to. And you don't have to be a supporter of hers to realize that. It's a tough spot to be in.

But trying to raise money from private sources or corporations for a specific goal can't possibly be an issue, can it? And being more public about it would encourage some support. I mean, we can't get someone with a higher profile than High Point Solutions to support basketball? I still don't know what that is.

Originally posted by brad1218:

^^^this^^^

Which is what the calls for support are mostly about... let Rutgers do what Rutgers needs to do and have politicians that have our back in a battle with the Politi's of the world. Hell.. would be nice if Barchi had the AD's back too.

You gave me ECU but how many others who did it with the majority coming from private funds that didn't have history/tradition in one of the 2 major sports or some short term success in basketball.
There have been dozen of threads on this topic over the past year or two...with multiple threads started/posted by others in recent weeks that noted scores of teams that did just that. I even posted plenty of examples in those threads as well.

I'm sorry you are obviously not up on this topic nor take time to either read threads on this topic or spend a few secs researching it yourself on google.

Heck, just the other day, Tango Two posted the NJ.com article that showed videos of 10 top of the line Hoop Facilities, many which I and others have posted on this very site:

http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/index.ssf/2015/02/10_basketball_practice_facilities_that_will_blow_r.html#incart_river
This post was edited on 3/1 11:26 AM by Knight_Light
I'm not going to go round and round on this with you because you never address my points and just keep pointing the fact that other schools do it with no acknowledgement of the surrounding situation even when I asked specifically about USF/UCF, schools I think you'd be familiar with. I've seen all your articles and postings. It doesn't address any of the questions I asked.

The schools that did it with majority private funds, how many of them have history/tradition in either of the major sports or had some short term success. You don't answer that. And even the schools that did it with borrowing, how many of them have a debt of 100M existing on the books and what is the financial health of the athletic department etc..We're asking to add more debt on top of the debt we already have, how many other schools that borrowed added their debt on top of a huge existing debt.

It's not enough to say everyone else is doing it so we need it too. Of course we need it and it will get done eventually but it doesn't mean it will be immediate. It's like keeping up with the Jones with your neighbors that we see too often in this country without any regard for your personal financial situation. You don't know what your neighbors financial situation is and just because they buy a new car, make an addition to the house, etc.. doesn't mean you can or should immediately if your financial situation doesn't facilitate it at the moment.

The schools that did it with majority private funds, how many of them have history/tradition in either of the major sports or had some short term success.
Most college hoop fans know those answers because we watch college hoops. It's obvious you don't know what programs have and have not had success in the past.

Fastest way to know for you is Google. (I heard it's free to use).

The schools that did it with majority private funds, how many of them have history/tradition in either of the major sports or had some short term success.
Most college hoop fans know those answers because we watch college hoops. It's obvious you don't know what programs have and have not had success in the past.

Fastest way to know for you is Google. (I heard it's free to use).
Exactly what I thought. Still can't answer any of the points I mention at all just like you haven't all along so just come up with some dumb quip. I'm plenty familiar with many of the programs and pictures you put up and most of them fit the criteria I'm talking about. Very few don't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT