ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Willard rips Big Ten scheduling, says it’s responsible for conference’s national championship drought

Why would they schedule games for 9pm, other than because they generate more TV revenue?
Great question. Are there more people in the western half of the country that want to watch UM @ RU? I don't think so. Assuming the network has multiple contracts, why not let teams on the west coast play in that time slot? The ratings would be better.

If the Big Ten is such a corrupt organization that secretly manipulates members schedules to benefit only certain schools - why are we even in this conference?

Seems very immoral and unethical to even associate with them if what you're accusing them of doing is true.
Wow. Coming in hot.

I really think the explanation is we have a weawly whiny willard.

Great question. Are there more people in the western half of the country that want to watch UM @ RU? I don't think so. Assuming the network has multiple contracts, why not let teams on the west coast play in that time slot? The ratings would be better.
A good number of these 8:30/9pm games are either BTN games and FS1. And the Big Ten doesn’t have west coast teams yet. BTN and FS1 is simply shoehorning 2 Big Ten games into one weeknight for more money.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
I’d really need Willard to explain the logic behind this comment…

"You play at 6:30, the guys are back in a dorm at 10 o'clock. If you play at nine, the kids aren't back in their dorm till 1:30, tw0 o'clock”

This might not be intuitive, but the scheduling problem for sports is so difficult test it has attracted serious attention from professional mathematicians for decades. Here’s a survey of papers from a few years ago for those who have 5-10 minutes and want to solve this.

As soon as more than a couple of constraints are introduced, even supercomputers get bogged down. And there are a lot of constraints: number of games per week, rest days, consecutive road and home game limits, weekend home games. Forget about “Team X has opened in the road for n years”, or “Team Y is rebuilding so shouldn’t open with the three toughest teams in the league.”

One thing is true: the networks paying the most for TV get priority, and they move the best games to the best time slots - which usually coincide with better times for student athletes (but not always - Bob Knight famously griped about the late-night slot for the Big 10 Super Tuesday on ESPN).

So that does have the unintended effect of screwing the bottom teams that aren’t TV winners.

Reactions: fluoxetine
I'm sure the scheduling complexity gets exponentially worse as the number of teams increases. Creating a balanced schedule for 14 teams is harder than it is for 11 teams. It also means more total games, so more later tips for weeknight double headers.

Maryland has three more 9 PM games, all in a row. One is a Tuesday at home vs Indiana. One is a Saturday at Minnesota, so it is an 8 PM local start. One is a Tuesday at Michigan State three days after the Minnesota game. His players won't be going to their dorm right after either of those games.

ADVERTISEMENT