ADVERTISEMENT

Football Kirk Herbstreit on Rutgers as a CFP Dark Horse....

Comes down a quarterback play

We have the horses on D
We can run the ball
And we have playmakers

We should’ve won eight games last year
I think our ceiling this year is nine and three, but would love to be wrong

Reactions: 93RUDoc
As for my message being long winded: it's been said that a person of Irish heritage never puts out a short story when he/she can turn out a novel about any subject 😁
As for " my manifesto" you might see it that way, I see it as explaining the way I feel and why I feel that way.😇

But red team, I offer you my sincere apologies for having your name as someone I was replying to instead of everyone in this thread .
I started out that way by hitting the quote and reply link, but thinking about the list of reasons to be positive you posted, I felt it would be wrong to do that and should generalize my reply to be for everyone .
I cut out what you said, but didn't notice your handle was left in my reply and that was a dumb mistake by me
( you must admit even my apology is long winded , but the apology is something I feel you deserve)

It’s exciting to finally not be an automatic win on everyone else’s schedule. I have no idea what our ceiling is but it’s definitely a lot higher than it’s ever been since we’ve been in the BIG which is what’s most exciting - the newness of being in this situation. Most Rutgers fans are thrilled to finally have a preseason where the odds for a nice 7-8 win season are not remote.

That said - I think most folks other than Al realize /acknowledge that the probability of a 5 or 6 win season is still a whole lot greater than a 10 win season. This includes the media shops projecting us as a dark horse. Being a dark horse - means a run isn’t impossible. It doesn’t mean it’s likely and it certainly doesn’t mean anything close to 10 wins is our floor.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Comes down a quarterback play

We have the horses on D
We can run the ball
And we have playmakers

We should’ve won eight games last year
I think our ceiling this year is nine and three, but would love to be wrong
we had two games we lost last year that took two bad things to happen at the same exact time for us to lose- Those INT for TD calls lost both games and in both cases- it took a horrendous play call and horrendous execution in both.

We our negative posters love to post how we beat no one- they tend to forget just how well we played in some losses. Even in a blowout to Mich- we most likely gave them one of their top 3 hardest games all year. I put our 2 losses to OSU and Wisc up against any win that VaTech had all year.

I agree on the ceiling though. The floor could be 5 but my floor is 6 next year.

we had two games we lost last year that took two bad things to happen at the same exact time for us to lose- Those INT for TD calls lost both games and in both cases- it took a horrendous play call and horrendous execution in both.

We our negative posters love to post how we beat no one- they tend to forget just how well we played in some losses. Even in a blowout to Mich- we most likely gave them one of their top 3 hardest games all year. I put our 2 losses to OSU and Wisc up against any win that VaTech had all year.

I agree on the ceiling though. The floor could be 5 but my floor is 6 next year.

Outside of a few Shelbys there’s nobody who isn’t acknowledging the strides that we made - both against better teams last season and in general from the time Greg took over.

That doesn’t mean we should act like any of the wins we collected have been anything close to signature. Thats a box we still haven’t checked. It’s a build. Things happen over time. We’re in a good place.

But that doesn’t make it negative to recognize that we’ve yet to beat a bowl eligible team on the road since joining the BIG (as an example). Most of the teams we’re playing away from home next year look like bowl teams. Those are going to be more difficult games than the ones we’ve won to this point. That doesn’t mean we can’t win them - but it’s unrealistic to act like it should be a cake walk.

Reactions: yesrutgers01

Agree with everything you said

Re ceiling 9, talent & schedule there to win more, but based on our weaknesses, I don’t think we get higher than that

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Agree with everything you said

Re ceiling 9, talent & schedule there to win more, but based on our weaknesses, I don’t think we get higher than that
I hate being realistic before the season starts. I much rather look at reasons why RU will go undefeated , untied and National Champions .
But 9 wins is probably the ceiling .
VT isn't an assured win and playing at their house is a factor making me leery of that game.
There are predicting VT is a ACC title contender this year.
VT quarterback Kyron Drones. is considered a very good gual threat QB who took the starting position in week 3 and ended the season with around 2,100 yrds , 17 touchdowns to just three picks while rushing for a little over 800 yards with 5 TDs

Washington coming to play at SHI gives RU an edge, but respite the changes to that program
it is one to fear and not fall for the they lost to much to win.
The Husky program is still a good one and their new HC proved himself at the UofA and though they lost a great College QB, the portal brought them Will Rogers from Mississippi State who had a great career there
Those are two games that worry me a lot

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT