Status
Not open for further replies.

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
Last year Rutgers Football was a Mess.
Even I can't deny that.

We had an OC, literally in diapers, who spent all season crapping his pants. We had starting for us, a QB who is currently THIRD STRING at San Diego State. Let that sink in for a moment: THIRD STRING at San Diego State, a mid major. We started out the season, with a tackle, who struggled, which is why he was replaced, midway through the season, with a player who hadn't played the position before, but did his best. We had a punter who struggled to punt. A RB Coach, who wasn't ready for this level. A DT who played valiantly with two torn patella tendons. WRs who couldn't get separation. We played dazed and confused, the result of playing in new systems,and the results were self evident.

That's why this year, The college football world isn't ready for a GOOD Rutgers Football Team, and neither is Washington, and that's why we're going to BEAT them, because they don't see us coming.

This years, Rutgers edition is much, much different. First let me say that I'm very happy with the composition of this staff. In place of amateurs, which by the way I called out last year and was attacked, we have seasoned professionals. Last year truly was amateur hour. You can see the difference in coaching because we are doing a much better job of executing. The players are looking more confident and are playing faster.

This is important because last year we beat ourselves a LOT. Too many missed assignments, mental mistakes, especially blown coverages/ out of position, which is part of what Washington benefitted from. Last year, they had two easy TDs with Ross blowing the top off our defense. That's not going to happen this year because Ross is in the NFL. Secondly, with Kemoko Turay back, and the rest of the DL a year better, we will actually have a pass rush, the secondary is a year better, and should be one of the best in the nation. Lastly, Rutgers Stadium is going to be a NUTHOUSE, Friday Night, making for a hostile This years opponents are going to have to work harder for their points.

This year our personnel is LIGHT YEARS better. Our QB almost beat Clemson, in 2015, playing for Louisville, and threw for 361 yards vs Syracuse. Gus Edwards and his 2016 4.9 YPC average further augments an already talented RB corp. our tight end, Jerome Washington, goes 6-4 258, and will soon be playing Sunday's.

I'd say the most improved unit should be the WR corp, and that should be reflected in the increased receiving yards expected this year, and the reason is speed, speed, speed. Wormly, Melton, and Hayek are CRAZY fast, possess good hands, and should impact right way. Very impressed with Wormleys body control, which he uses to make tough catches.

The offensive line has improved in a big way. Coach Ash keeps saying that his two tackles have NFL potential, and I can certainly see why. Seymour in particular, looks much improved from last year, and is playing more confident and looks faster than last year. Miller is in Beast Mode. Jonah Jackson is one of the most impressive physical specimens to ever play center. The guy literally looks like a block of granite. Applefield is one of the most athletic guards we've ever had. This could be the best offensive line we've had in terms of depth and talent. Our backups are impressive too. I would have zero qualms about Venesky, Krimin, Clark, Vretman, and Herman playing.

Defensive Line has also improved by leaps and bounds. For the most part, our DL's aren't ready to go when they're recruited, like a Rashan Gary. Sebastian Joseph came in and has taken his lumps, especially against better competition. But every offseason the kid works harder and harder to get better, and he has a great attitude. I think he's going to have a career year. That also goes for Bateky, who looks better than ever. This has allowed the coaches to shift Wilkins to end. With Turay now available at the other end, Rutgers is going to be much tougher against the Run, as our LBers will be freed up to make plays. Roberts and Morris were especially productive last year, but this year more of their productivity will be seen closer to te line of scrimmage. The backups , Brandon Russell, TJ Taylor, and Margolies are are solid with Brandon Russell having an especially productive game against Maryland. But it's the freshmen that are going to give a big boost to the unit, because they are big, fast, strong, and ready to Impact. I found Devera to be the most impressive freshman because the way he plays seems like he is shot out of a cannon. Fogg and The others at the minimum, will help upgrade our special Teams.

Our secondary should be among the nations best. Blessaun Austin is one of the nations best cover corners and first round lock. Much like Sebastian Joseph, Isaiah Wharton has taken his lumps, and grown from them, and seems poised for the best season of his career. He will be pushed by Damon Hayes, who will play extensively. Kiy Hester and Saquan Hampton are productive, and look to avoid injuries.

Special Teams will be much, much improved.
It certainly helps when you're All American caliber Kickoff and Punter returner is Back. But we now have an All American Punter. And most kick offs should now be in the end zone, making it easier for our defense. The jury is out on the kicker.

There's no doubt in my mind that this is the deepest, most talented Rutgers Football Team in the last ten years. The 2012 team had a terrific defense, but had Nova at Qb. The 2008 team had Mike Tel, Kenny Britt, and Anthony Davis, but I think this team is deeper. I count four possible first round draft picks

1) Blessaun Austin
2) Tariq Cole
3) Jamarion Grant
4) Kemoko Turay

so ultimately:
- the coaching is improved
- given the improved offense, we should be able to reduce turnovers
- special teams , especially the punting game should be much improved, putting the defense in more favorable situations for success
- the defense will be improved thanks to better personnel, an offense that won't put the defense in as many bad situations, and a much improved punting.

So I'm going to go with a 7-5 seasonal record, though I think we're capable of doing even BETTER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News