ADVERTISEMENT

Kudos to Timmy Ward: From Cancer Survivor to Walk On to Bowl Game TD!

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore

From 2022:

MOOSIC, Pa. — The next chapter in Timmy Ward's journey is truly remarkable. The cancer survivor is continuing to prove the doubters wrong - this time by earning a roster spot to play Division I college football.

Timmy Ward's story is what movie scripts are made of. Earning a spot on our 2018 Dream Team was nothing compared to what he was dealing with off the field. That fall, the Canton-native was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma. We've been following his story ever since.

He beat cancer, only to lose most of his senior season to an ACL injury. Now, Ward is a freshman at Rutgers. Served as a student manager for the football team, but he earned himself a tryout this past September. Last week – a text he thought he'd never read.

"No matter what I've gone through I always thought I was going to make it, somehow, someway," Ward said. "Pretty crazy to think that I'm here right now after everything, but I don't think I ever doubted that I was going to be here."

An opportunity Ward says means the world to him. At just 20 years old, he's been through more adversity than most see in a lifetime. So many chances to let the dream die, but he wouldn't let it.

From 2022:

MOOSIC, Pa. — The next chapter in Timmy Ward's journey is truly remarkable. The cancer survivor is continuing to prove the doubters wrong - this time by earning a roster spot to play Division I college football.

Timmy Ward's story is what movie scripts are made of. Earning a spot on our 2018 Dream Team was nothing compared to what he was dealing with off the field. That fall, the Canton-native was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma. We've been following his story ever since.

He beat cancer, only to lose most of his senior season to an ACL injury. Now, Ward is a freshman at Rutgers. Served as a student manager for the football team, but he earned himself a tryout this past September. Last week – a text he thought he'd never read.

"No matter what I've gone through I always thought I was going to make it, somehow, someway," Ward said. "Pretty crazy to think that I'm here right now after everything, but I don't think I ever doubted that I was going to be here."

An opportunity Ward says means the world to him. At just 20 years old, he's been through more adversity than most see in a lifetime. So many chances to let the dream die, but he wouldn't let it.

Thank you for posting that.

From 2022:

Reactions: Knight Shift
Watched the game with my son and we both said good for him as soon as we realized Ward had the TD. It was great they got such a big play with a blocked punt but made it even better with Ward getting TD. Overall, great day for RU.

From 2022:

I love this post thank you.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Not sure if you caught the hug he got from GS after that play. If you recorded the game go take a look. This why our players love him.
Greg Schiano is a true empath and his players can feel that. There's numerous examples of the character of Coach Schiano:
The boy he visited at the hospital on the afternoon of the 2006 Louisville game.
I will never forget what he did for Eric when he was injured.
The players he has developed into BIG10 players and getting them into the league.

There are others as well that are not publicized.

His players love playing for him and want to be around the program

Just an absolutely awesome story!!!

If they haven't, they should. RU should be proactive getting this out there.
Agree. This is a story that the national media eats up. Timmy Ward is a testament to courage and perseverance and he’s a darn good football player. It shows the kind of guy Greg is and the way he runs this program and most importantly it’s inspiring for anyone else battling this horrific disease.

Agree. This is a story that the national media eats up. Timmy Ward is a testament to courage and perseverance and he’s a darn good football player. It shows the kind of guy Greg is and the way he runs this program and most importantly it’s inspiring for anyone else battling this horrific disease.

They must be on a diet, though I believe the Big 10 Network had some coverage this fall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT