Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
You can't always get it
When you really want it
You can't always get it at all

Just because there's space
In your life it's a waste
To spend your time why don't you wait for the call?

Just gotta get used to it
We all get it in the end
We go down and we come up again

It is going to be a long season. We just gotta get used to it. We go down and we come up again. Nothing today really surprised me given our body of work this year. Wash rinse repeat and brevity will be your friend with recaps and trying to explain the situation. Ad nauseum...poorly contructed team, limited offensive talent, complimentary players, poor coaching, recruiting misses, bad luck, not committed to defense, no leadership, lack of communication, poor body language. Just take your pick.

If you still held out hope and hadnt accepted what Rutgers basketball is yet...I urge you to open your eyes. Iowa is a bottom tier Big 10 team coming in struggling. One of their best players McCaffery was out today and they did not miss a beat. Rutgers was the right tonic to get them their first Big 10 win. On paper just a bad matchup because here you have a team that likes to score alot albeit with a shaky defense going up against a Rutgers team with very little offensive prowess. Rutgers could only win by committing to working hard and playing defense and keeping Iowa under 70. Right from the get go that went down the tubes. Iowa got any shot they want early and went up 22-5 while RU shot 1-15 ftg and made just one fg in 8 minutes. Do not be fooled by getting it to 7 at half riding fools gold shooting by Mag who by the way was terrific along with Austin Williams/J Mike. The only three bright spots amongst a dreadful effort. The most disappointing though was Rutgers really did not compete in this game. RU challenged Ohio State in the 2nd half and thats why they made it a game and thats why you can take positives. Today, Iowa did what they want time and time again. RU never slowed them down or bothered them. Getting it down to a final margin does not change that.

Derek is woefully waifish on the court. Noah is a big portal mistake. J Mike is too young and green and its unfair that he has to be put in this position to play such a great role. Cliff got outplayed on both ends by a freshmen. Gavin looks like a freshmen high school and not college player. Hyatt somehow was elevated to best player on the team but today really shows you he is exactly th 7th/8th man many of us thought he was. As said before Mag with 24 points and 10 boards showing some fire. Austin Williams is earning more time....great defense last game and now pretty solid offensive game with some versatile shots 6-8 fg 14 points, 4 boards. J Mike rough shooting at 4-12 fg , 10 points, 5 boards. Overall a step forward for him. Those 3 are the positive to take away. Yet who knows, the inconsistecy of players from game to game is a constant and you see that with Noah and other.

One constant is the awful RU starts leaving them in huge holes and extended periods of scoring droughts. Pikiell is doing a poor job at getting his team ready to compete but its almost an impossible job if you do not have the jimmys and the joes. I do not have the answers on how to make this team better. Where to even start. Pike does a good job getting teams to overacheive but is it even possible for this particular bunch. Rutgers is a bottom 4 Big team and might very well find itself in the bottom spot. Perhaps with the pressure of making the NCAA tourney now a distant possibility he can effectively tinker with what will make next years returning players better for what will be an intense season with an expectation to WIN now.

Onto Indiana at the RAC on a rainy windy flood prone night which could impact attendance. Indiana isnt very good but will RU be up to the challenge and pick themselves off the floor. If not there, then when RU could easily find itself 0-7 in league play by mid January.

I love Pike and have the utmost respect for the job he did to awaken the program from the dead. He did what 3 of his predecessors couldn’t do - keep RU from being a total embarrassment and play meaningful, competitive basketball.

But since our team walked off the floor ahead of the 2019-20 B1G Tourney pregame, this program has gone 61-47 (32-31). Probably well on their way to something like 65-60 (36-44) in the 4 years since. Is it too much to expect more? That in year 8 we look like we belong against what will probably wind up being a B1G bottom feeder in Iowa?

I’m hopeful for what next year and those that follow could bring. And I fully expected this to be a transitional year. But this team is a mess. A poorly constructed hodgepodge of guys that don’t look like they have answers. When they shoot well (ha!) the defense sags, when they bow up on D, they shoot 28%. Bad teams do what bad teams do. I just hope Pike and company learn a lot this year. Can’t waist opportunities ahead.

I love Pike and have the utmost respect for the job he did to awaken the program from the dead. He did what 3 of his predecessors couldn’t do - keep RU from being a total embarrassment and play meaningful, competitive basketball.

But since our team walked off the floor ahead of the 2019-20 B1G Tourney pregame, this program has gone 61-47 (32-31). Probably well on their way to something like 65-60 (36-44) in the 4 years since. Is it too much to expect more? That in year 8 we look like we belong against what will probably wind up being a B1G bottom feeder in Iowa?

I’m hopeful for what next year and those that follow could bring. And I fully expected this to be a transitional year. But this team is a mess. A poorly constructed hodgepodge of guys that don’t look like they have answers. When they shoot well (ha!) the defense sags, when they bow up on D, they shoot 28%. Bad teams do what bad teams do. I just hope Pike and company learn a lot this year. Can’t waist opportunities ahead.
I get with what you are saying. That being said I think as we go to year 9 of Pike and that expectations to deliver MAJOR success next year with that recruiting class, Pike is going to be viewed differently. I think gloves are of and criticism starting next year and seasons beyond and PIke gets judged less on rebuilding the Rutgers program and more on current results

It needs to be a Come To Jesus moment for Pikiell. If he retains his exact coaching principles next season we're going to be a 7 or 8 seed at best despite the recruiting talent having a much higher ceiling.

This means changing the offensive scheme. Changing the rotation patterns. Changing how much loyalty he has. Changing his portal strategy. All of it.

First tinker - start Williams over Fernandes.
probably a good idea but as good as Austin has been im not that confident in changes or helps the situation in an impactful way. The role Austin is playing certainly is impressive but more minutes. I do think J Mike has continued to earn just as many minutes as Derek...we just are so limited in our roster, werent peeps saying we were deep..lol

Noah needs to be the fourth guard. We're losing anyway so might as well forcefeed Davis and accelerate whatever development can happen with him.

It needs to be a Come To Jesus moment for Pikiell. If he retains his exact coaching principles next season we're going to be a 7 or 8 seed at best despite the recruiting talent having a much higher ceiling.

This means changing the offensive scheme. Changing the rotation patterns. Changing how much loyalty he has. Changing his portal strategy. All of it.
7th or 8th seed, I have legit concerns that this team even makes the tourney next year...not a given at all.
Pikes portal strategy has been woefully unaggressive

7th or 8th seed, I have legit concerns that this team even makes the tourney next year...not a given at all.
Pikes portal strategy has been woefully unaggressive
That's my ceiling. If he stays loyal to Simpson and Davis and our only portal guard addition is an Austin Williams caliber player it's going to be a disaster.

I thought this year was a shift in offensive scheme? This team hasn’t seen the resemblance of an offensive set since Horns back in 2020-2021. The portal is a joke for us. Be it the lack of NIL, the lack of an eye for talent or a lack of aggression it will be hard for us to pull a 180. It’s all very sad. Another 30 years till an ncaa appearance?

Mags had a great game.
Cliff’s presence on D as well as rebounding and blocked shots worth noting.
Bench scored today.
I wonder if the Fernandes roller coaster will just be that all season. One good game, one bad game. Today clearly was awful.
So when Simpson shoots poorly but has a great game with rebounds, steals and assists he played poorly. See Stonehill
Yet, JMike shoots horrifically, 4-12, but has some rebounds and all of a sudden he is terrific? He’s supposed to be a point guard. One more assist and one more turnover in 25% more minutes today than Simpson does not terrific make.
What has he done to “earn” more minutes?
Maybe at expense of Fernandes but certainly not at the expense of Simpson. Williams is the one who has earned more minutes.
Think there’s some weird bias/favoritism going on with RU fans.
A Williams was quite good. Two good games in a row.
Guess a credit to Pike we didn’t get run out of the building either the first or second half but slow starts are a killer and 1 for 15 to start the game is inexcusable.
We actually had a nice game at the line, almost 80%.
Now the factor that BAC never wants to address but was a bit of a factor again.
Iowa also won this game because they shot 21-24 from the line and some weird foul calls.
How a freshman center hooks an All American candidate at center and the call goes against Cliff? Announcer goes off. Pike has to go off. We never get the calls we should get.
Oskar gets pushed out of bounds and no call.
Oskar breathes on Iowa player and gets two of the quickest fouls I’ve ever seen.
Iowa in 1 and 1 very quickly.
Iowa in the bonus early.
Funny how our guards are never ever bumped on layups?
Not why we lost but certainly was not good officiating and it certainly DID help Iowa and hurt RU.

Reactions: tm_nj and Loyal-Son
You can't always get it
When you really want it

We all get it in the end

It is going to be a long season. We just gotta get used to it. We go down and we come up again. Nothing today really surprised me given our body of work this year. Wash rinse repeat and brevity will be your friend with recaps and trying to explain the situation. Ad nauseum...poorly contructed team, limited offensive talent, complimentary players, poor coaching, recruiting misses, bad luck, not committed to defense, no leadership, lack of communication, poor body language. Just take your pick.

If you still held out hope and hadnt accepted what Rutgers basketball is yet...I urge you to open your eyes. Iowa is a bottom tier Big 10 team coming in struggling. One of their best players McCaffery was out today and they did not miss a beat. Rutgers was the right tonic to get them their first Big 10 win. On paper just a bad matchup because here you have a team that likes to score alot albeit with a shaky defense going up against a Rutgers team with very little offensive prowess. Rutgers could only win by committing to working hard and playing defense and keeping Iowa under 70. Right from the get go that went down the tubes. Iowa got any shot they want early and went up 22-5 while RU shot 1-15 ftg and made just one fg in 8 minutes. Do not be fooled by getting it to 7 at half riding fools gold shooting by Mag who by the way was terrific along with Austin Williams/J Mike. The only three bright spots amongst a dreadful effort. The most disappointing though was Rutgers really did not compete in this game. RU challenged Ohio State in the 2nd half and thats why they made it a game and thats why you can take positives. Today, Iowa did what they want time and time again. RU never slowed them down or bothered them. Getting it down to a final margin does not change that.

Derek is woefully waifish on the court. Noah is a big portal mistake. J Mike is too young and green and its unfair that he has to be put in this position to play such a great role. Cliff got outplayed on both ends by a freshmen. Gavin looks like a freshmen high school and not college player. Hyatt somehow was elevated to best player on the team but today really shows you he is exactly th 7th/8th man many of us thought he was. As said before Mag with 24 points and 10 boards showing some fire. Austin Williams is earning more time....great defense last game and now pretty solid offensive game with some versatile shots 6-8 fg 14 points, 4 boards. J Mike rough shooting at 4-12 fg , 10 points, 5 boards. Overall a step forward for him. Those 3 are the positive to take away. Yet who knows, the inconsistecy of players from game to game is a constant and you see that with Noah and other.

One constant is the awful RU starts leaving them in huge holes and extended periods of scoring droughts. Pikiell is doing a poor job at getting his team ready to compete but its almost an impossible job if you do not have the jimmys and the joes. I do not have the answers on how to make this team better. Where to even start. Pike does a good job getting teams to overacheive but is it even possible for this particular bunch. Rutgers is a bottom 4 Big team and might very well find itself in the bottom spot. Perhaps with the pressure of making the NCAA tourney now a distant possibility he can effectively tinker with what will make next years returning players better for what will be an intense season with an expectation to WIN now.

Onto Indiana at the RAC on a rainy windy flood prone night which could impact attendance. Indiana isnt very good but will RU be up to the challenge and pick themselves off the floor. If not there, then when RU could easily find itself 0-7 in league play by mid January.

I don't understand Pike's handling of Gavin. That Palmquist got any minutes while Gavin sat is beyond me. Palmquist offers nothing other than 5 fouls. Gavin must play and Pike needs to build his confidence.....He can't be subbed after a mistake....

I thought this year was a shift in offensive scheme? This team hasn’t seen the resemblance of an offensive set since Horns back in 2020-2021. The portal is a joke for us. Be it the lack of NIL, the lack of an eye for talent or a lack of aggression it will be hard for us to pull a 180. It’s all very sad. Another 30 years till an ncaa appearance?
The portal market is pretty inefficient. We can get guys like we did with Cam Spencer. Do you think Minnesota broke the bank for Mike Mitchell or Elijah Hawkins? Heck even Jahmir Young was not like a hugely sought-after guy when Maryland got him. In the frontcourt a guy like Tyrese Samuel from Seton Hall has been really good for Florida and he wasn't making the top 100 transfer lists this offseason. There are guys to be had.

Cam and Paul screwed us. We’d be decent if they didn’t leave. Oh well. It’s a rebuild.
One issue I have with that is that those two along with Eugene were the three biggest competitors we've had and all three decided to leave. It's bad luck to some extent but I also think our culture is not where it needs to be to keep these guys and to make the new guys do what it takes to win.

One issue I have with that is that those two along with Eugene were the three biggest competitors we've had and all three decided to leave. It's bad luck to some extent but I also think our culture is not where it needs to be to keep these guys and to make the new guys do what it takes to win.
Eh. Geo and RHJ competed lol. Seems like a reach tbh.

And all 3 blindsided Pike. Not sure what he can do better with that. Perhaps he is too trusting.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
It's really not good that guys like this leave the program. I still remember this from an article on Spencer before last season. Why didn't Simpson know about the film, for example? That's our lead guard this year btw.

When you look at this year's roster and realize how few guys have gotten better it raises concerns. Eugene shot a crazy number of shots every day one summer because he wanted to improve. Is there any evidence this current roster is doing things like that to improve?
They’ve seen his “unbelievable work ethic,” with Pikiell saying he’s a “three-to-four workout every day kind of guy” who is “in the gym constantly.” And they’ve certainly seen his competitive fire.

At one of their first practices together in Piscataway, junior guard Paul Mulcahy was struck when he heard Spencer screaming expletives, furious at himself.

He just missed a second shot in a row.

“I think they think I’m a little crazy when I do stuff like that, but it’s just a motivator for me,” Spencer said. “You can always be better, so I think it’s a positive thing for me because it pushes me to get better.”

Derek Simpson first noticed it when Spencer approached him ahead of their second practice together over the summer. He started talking to the freshman guard about specific moments from the first practice the day prior.

“He watched all the film that night, the whole practice and he’s talking about this and that. I’m like ‘I didn’t even know there was film out!’” Simpson said. “He’s just on top of his stuff. He watches every practice. He’s a great guy to be around because he’s going to motivate you to do those things. I’m glad he came here and he’s helping me out.”

It's really not good that guys like this leave the program. I still remember this from an article on Spencer before last season. Why didn't Simpson know about the film, for example? That's our lead guard this year btw.

When you look at this year's roster and realize how few guys have gotten better it raises concerns. Eugene shot a crazy number of shots every day one summer because he wanted to improve. Is there any evidence this current roster is doing things like that to improve?
I don't really buy any cultural retention issues, it's been pretty good in the portal era before this year — I think the only guy that we wanted to keep was Young (Johnson and his academics notwithstanding) And I think it shows that it's the first time Pike has really had to assemble a team from scratch

I don't really buy any cultural retention issues, it's been pretty good in the portal era before this year — I think the only guy that we wanted to keep was Young (Johnson and his academics notwithstanding) And I think it shows that it's the first time Pike has really had to assemble a team from scratch
I don't know how you DON'T question the culture when the big hallmarks of a Pikiell team like rebounding are so bad this year. (Granted, today was better in that regard but Iowa is really soft on the boards)

Starting the season there was concerns with the roster changes and uncertainty in regard to Mag's health.After the Princeton game, concerns focused on the lack of scoring and inability to defend Princeton's motion offense.Rutgers now has a 8-6 record and 0-3 against league rivals.There has been a lack of consistency from every player.Senior leadership is lacking along with any evidence of player development.The roster has too many complementary type players which has translated into long scoring droughts which Rutgers has been unable to overcome.My hope is that the team can scrounge enough wins for a winning season which will take a miraculous change in team performance.

Cam and Paul screwed us. We’d be decent if they didn’t leave. Oh well. It’s a rebuild.
while that is true, Pike still brought Noah in..why...that turned out to be a negative with Paul...perhaps Pike was too loyal to Paul too...he should have said are you coming back or not, if not then go out and land a top portal guard, instead we settled early for an injured guard from umass who seems disinterested

You can't always get it
When you really want it

We all get it in the end

"Another Krikke Day" for RU.

while that is true, Pike still brought Noah in..why...that turned out to be a negative with Paul...perhaps Pike was too loyal to Paul too...he should have said are you coming back or not, if not then go out and land a top portal guard, instead we settled early for an injured guard from umass who seems disinterested
I don’t really place any merit in board conjecture re Paul’s reason for leaving. I do agree Noah was a strange addition assuming Paul and cam were expected to come back.

I also wonder (not just on Rutgers) how paying players effects the desire to play and effort during the season. This probably is the first year that seems like every college player gets something

I don’t really place any merit in board conjecture re Paul’s reason for leaving. I do agree Noah was a strange addition assuming Paul and cam were expected to come back.
we also had an issue with Mag possibly leaving...then you have Hyatt, I mean to me Pike HAS to look for a guy at his level or better to push the 3/4 spots. Plus not sure Ogoble was answer either being injured

we also had an issue with Mag possibly leaving...then you have Hyatt, I mean to me Pike HAS to look for a guy at his level or better to push the 3/4 spots. Plus not sure Ogoble was answer either being injured
Ogbole could have helped today when Iowa was having its way in the paint... just laying the wood a few times instead of the touch fouls we were giving would have given us a lift

Reactions: Scangg
In fairness, the consensus here in March was that Paul at PG was untenable and Pike needed a replacement. Fernandes made sense for a team looking to change ideology, he’s just brought no upperclassman traits aside from FTs

In fairness, the consensus here in March was that Paul at PG was untenable and Pike needed a replacement. Fernandes made sense for a team looking to change ideology, he’s just brought no upperclassman traits aside from FTs
Well consensus on this board if that’s the case as usual was not very insightful

Reactions: Loyal-Son
That's my ceiling. If he stays loyal to Simpson and Davis and our only portal guard addition is an Austin Williams caliber player it's going to be a disaster.
I think the real issue from the portal standpoint happened in the other direction this year. Apparently, losing Cam was indeed a big deal

Reactions: NiTeKnight
I already miss the last few years. It was so much more fun to watch every other game when we were good. This year I can hardly care. Competitive January and February basketball is so great.

Did anyone have Mag and Williams combining for 38 points on their bingo card?

What killed me in this game was how many lazy passes were picked off by an aggressive Iowa player jumping the lane. It was very clear they were going to bite on any fake, yet we didn't try to fake any passes to take advantage of that aggression. Criminal.

I don't understand Pike's handling of Gavin. That Palmquist got any minutes while Gavin sat is beyond me. Palmquist offers nothing other than 5 fouls. Gavin must play and Pike needs to build his confidence.....He can't be subbed after a mistake....
Agreed 100%
Oskar should not see the floor at all plain and simple

I don't get why people don't get it.

Watch the kid on defense when he goes in. Absolutely lost. I watched a couple of possessions in a row and it was something like; his man hit a 3, then too far off ball, his man has space to pass, Iowa scores, next time he doesn't box out, Iowa grabs rebound and puts it back up. He's lost defensively. That's why Oscar is playing. Watch him on D whenever he is in. Just him. I want it to be clear I am rooting hard for him but this is college ball now. No one on that court gives a shit what he was ranked in HS. That's over.

If Pike wants to win now Gavin isn't getting it done... but if it's all about next year, then he needs to play

It seems like we only get about 2 players a game playing well. That just won't get it done. The entire roster is incredibly inconsistent with unfortunately most players playing poorly in most games

Who on the roster is meeting expectations? Hyatt I guess?

Who on the roster is exceeding expectations? JMike probably as a lowly ranked freshman

The rest of the roster is underachieving

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT