ADVERTISEMENT

Time to move on from Mag

The kid has been thru a litany of issues in his life.

War torn Sudan / his teeth / his ACL / not living with his family.

And he s 22 years old ?

Give the kid a break !

My thought : When he has soreness / pain etc - He’s petrified of hurting himself further and doesn’t want to jeopardize a career overseas to financially support himself and his family down the road or future NIL opportunities !
That is all true and great but this is high level D1 basketball and you are getting benefits and you have a team to support. If you don't want to play and risk it IF....IF..then get out of the way now not just before the games. His body his choice but don't screw others in the process.... IF.

The notion that a kid would bust his ass and practice “great” but then intentionally sit out a game feigning injury is absolutely ridiculous. Terrible thread. Mag Is arguably our most important player. Our defense is totally pedestrian without him. Just ask MD’s head coach Willard. We had Mag and no J. Will in the 1st game v. Purdue and held them to under 70.

I think this is where fans lose complete perspective and there's a loss of perspective. Something tosses something out into cyberspace, it gets repeated enough and suddenly, fans start to believe it, when it's not close to reality.

Here is the reality of the situation.

A) Mag is a complimentary player...saying Mag is arguably our best player or defensive player is nowhere near reality......there's Cliff, is who literally the baseline of the entire defense, then the 3 guards, who play excellent on the ball, pressure defense in Davis, Simpson and now JWill.

Mag is not 100% healthy and it shows on the court...there's no game changing athletic plays, no consistent rebounding, it's more narrative than reality.

What's also reality is next year. In terms of "what or who is more important ", that list changes dramatically with Dylan Harper, Ace Bailey, Lathan Sommerville, Bryce Dortch and Dylan Grant....these are LEGIT players and prospects.

B) If a choice was made or someone keeps repeating "Mag is essential to our defense" it would be fine, but more essential than who exactly next year....??

More essential than Cliff?? Please stop and ask yourself, are fans saying Mag is essential for next year, but Cliff isnt? That's 1000% false.

More essential than JWill....?? Not remotely close, these last 6 games clearly indicates that Mag is not more essential or impactful than JWill....

Do we even want to try and say, more essential than Dylan or Ace....not even going to entertain the discussion....

So we are now at 5th at best in terms of importance and that's not including 3 very good Top 150 prospects....not including 2 young guards in Davis and Simpson that duplicate the efforts of Mag on defense....

I think fans are conditioned to mediocrity....and it's somewhat concerning to a degree that a lot of fans want to accept or play make believe, about how good a player is.

Mag is a complimentary player folks. There are dozens of players that can replace his production.

He's a 26% career 3 Point shooter and now is missing key games down the stretch, when we could sneak into NCAA contention. And he can't play ANY minutes??

I'm extremely interested in seeing a better player compliment Ace Bailey next year in the starting lineup. I actually want to win as many games as possible.

If we want feel good stories and want to ask Pike to navigate having to deal with as much hype and press, with this incoming class, which is already going to be things unseen at any point at RU since the 70s.....and we want to add another huge red flag and unknown with Mag, I'm not quite sure why fans would want more uncertainty.....Mag is an uncertain or unknown item as of today and certainly next year.

If we can step back off the ledge and stop exaggerating a players impact, we are all better off.

And I've posted multiple times, this staff has recruited 2 Top 150 wing forwards in Dortch and Dylan Grant in the 2024 class. Those are the replacements for Mag in the future and for the RU program. They compliment what Ace Bailey and Dylan Harper do on the court. Mag has not warranted with his play or production on offense, this "essential " label being tossed around. It's simply not reality.

I think this is where fans lose complete perspective and there's a loss of perspective. Something tosses something out into cyberspace, it gets repeated enough and suddenly, fans start to believe it, when it's not close to reality.

A) Mag is a complimentary player...saying Mag is arguably our best player or defensive player is nowhere near reality......there's Cliff, is who literally the baseline of the entire defense, then the 3 guards, who play excellent on the ball, pressure defense in Davis, Simpson and now JWill.

Mag is not 100% healthy and it shows on the court...there's no game changing athletic plays, no consistent rebounding, it's more narrative than reality.

What's also reality is next year. In terms of "what or who is more important ", that list changes dramatically with Dylan Harper, Ace Bailey, Lathan Sommerville, Bryce Dortch and Dylan Grant....these are LEGIT players and prospects.

B) If a choice was made or someone keeps repeating "Mag is essential to our defense" it would be fine, but more essential than who exactly next year....??

More essential than Cliff?? Please stop and ask yourself, are fans saying Mag is essential for next year, but Cliff isnt? That's 1000% false.

More essential than JWill....?? Not remotely close, these last 6 games clearly indicates that Mag is not more essential or impactful than JWill....

Do we even want to try and say, more essential than Dylan or Ace....not even going to entertain the discussion....

So we are now at 5th at best in terms of importance and that's not including 3 very good Top 150 prospects....not including 2 young guards in Davis and Simpson that duplicate the efforts of Mag on defense....

I think fans are conditioned to mediocrity....and it's somewhat concerning to a degree that a lot of fans want to accept or play make believe, about how good a player is.

Mag is a complimentary player folks. There are dozens of players that can replace his production.

He's a 26% career 3 Point shooter and now is missing key games down the stretch, when we could sneak into NCAA contention. And he can't play ANY minutes??

I'm extremely interested in seeing a better player compliment Ace Bailey next year in the starting lineup. I actually want to win as many games as possible.

If we want feel good stories and want to ask Pike to navigate having to deal with as much hype and press, with this incoming class, which is already going to be things unseen at any point at RU since the 70s.....and we want to add another huge red flag and unknown with Mag, I'm not quite sure why fans would want more uncertainty.....Mag is an uncertain or unknown item as of today and certainly next year.

If we can step back off the ledge and stop exaggerating a players impact, we are all better off.

And I've posted multiple times, this staff has recruited 2 Top 150 wing forwards in Dortch and Dylan Grant in the 2024 class. Those are the replacements for Mag in the future and for the RU program. They compliment what Ace Bailey and Dylan Harper do on the court. Mag has not warranted with his play or production on offense, this "essential " label being tossed around. It's simply not reality.
I could not disagree more about Mag. Most important player does not mean the best player. Mag is the key to our defense. He also has the 2nd best +/- on this years’ team in conference play (by a lot) despite playing at less than 100%. We nosedived last year after his injury. While he is not a 3 point shooter, last season (when he was healthy) he was a 50% FG shooter, which by RU standards is elite for anyone not a center. if he does not return as a healthy 5 year player next season he would not easily be replaced.

Last edited:
That is all true and great but this is high level D1 basketball and you are getting benefits and you have a team to support. If you don't want to play and risk it IF....IF..then get out of the way now not just before the games. His body his choice but don't screw others in the process.... IF.
Did you feel the same way about Max Melton not playing in the Pinstripe Bowl ? And he was fully healthy…….

None of us know what Mag is feeling or going through or how injured he is given his ACL recovery etc.

I’d prefer to have a healthy Mag vs Maryland given it’s a winnable game than risk injuring him worse in a game we had no shot vs Purdue given his ailments.

I could not disagree more about Mag. Most important player does not mean the best player. Mag is the key to our defense. He also has the 2nd best +/- on this years’ team in conference play (by a lot) despite playing at less than 100%. We nosedived last year after his injury. While he is not a 3 point shooter, last season (when he was healthy) he was a 50% FG shooter, which by RU standards is elite for anyone not a center. if he does not return as a healthy 5 year player next season he would not easily be replaced.
100%. I believe he led the team in +/- last year too while he was healthy. The guy does all the little things that go mostly unappreciated.

Excellent post. Right on point about everything.

Mag is too much of an injury liability. He is a very good defender when he plays. Offensively he's just ok. I tend to agree with Hawk that RU cannot rely on him for next year. He may walk anyway, like Cam and Paul. Pike has to be better prepared this go around.

Reactions: socaldave
Did you feel the same way about Max Melton not playing in the Pinstripe Bowl ? And he was fully healthy…….

None of us know what Mag is feeling or going through or how injured he is given his ACL recovery etc.

I’d prefer to have a healthy Mag vs Maryland given it’s a winnable game than risk injuring him worse in a game we had no shot vs Purdue given his ailments.
Max absolutely should have played. But he at least notified the team he wasn't playing so they could practice without him. btw. That was also in a bowl game. It wasn't on of the in season games trying to achieve post season play. Quitsheer would have been a better example.

I NEVER said he should play and risk further injury IF that is the case...... did you not see the 3-4 IF'S I put in there?

So just to be clear here. You're suggesting that after having a solid practice Mag decides he should save himself for Maryland? OK, got it. That would be a player/coach decision. Didn't sound like Pike was making that call.

Last edited:
Reactions: RutgersClassof2004
The three most important players next season are Bailey,Harper and J Williams.Filling the center and a forward position will depend on who leaves and who is available in the transfer portal.Cliff and a healthy Mag are the best options but they might not return.Pikiell can't make a mistake with roster formation because so much positive anticipation is expected for next season.

Reactions: RutgersClassof2004

You are underrating Mag. When healthy, he is one of the top defenders in the conference and is capable of scoring 10+PPG. There was a stretch when he was scoring 12 to 15 PPG and the team was playing well. The issue with him is his health and availability. But, I think you have to be patient with someone who is still 12 mos from an ACL injury.

I know many including yourself will disagree, but Mag along with JW and Cliff are the three best players on this team. The issue this year has been that only Cliff has been available all season. JW was out until Feb and Mag was out to start the season and has missed some games after that. With all three playing the whole season, I think this would’ve been a tournament team.

Just for all the clowns ITT:

“Mawot’s been really battling.” Pikiell said. “I’m proud of him. Having that injury and the toll it takes, some days he can practice and some days, he can’t; some days he can play and some days, he can’t. These guys have had to fight through it. I hope he feels okay, but we go game-by-game with him, unfortunately.”

Reactions: runrutgersrun
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT