ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Kyonte Hamilton commits to RFootball

Wrestler/Football. Does this count as a football or wrestling scholarship?

Big & Strong is the motto now. 6’5” 230 and quick and strong enough to be a big time wrestler. Future DE? Congrats and welcome to the Banks!

Always against football if that's one of the two sports he participates in. NCAA rule. Keep the SEC from stacking their golf and tennis teams with football players.
As I understand it, that only becomes true once the player appears in a game. Hamilton could come on a wrestling scholarship, redshirt in football for a year, and not count against either the 25 or 85 limit for that year.

Kyonte, Welcome to The State of Rutgers and your Scarlet Knights !!! :Rutgers:CHOP:

I would assume if he just verbally committed to football, we can safely say he would be signing his papers as a commit for football.
And why would he even consider not doing so?

Reactions: Loyal-Son
My son knows Kyonte from DC metro area wrestling. His wrestling resume is about as good as it gets (National Prep Champ, Beast of the East, etc). Not sure where he stacks up in football.

Excellent post relating to the red shirt and wresling. This is a win win for all...Schiano, Gooddale and Hamilton.
Schiano should endow a schollie for wrestling
And if Kyonte's peeps are reading this.. that wasn't Coach speak.. Schiano had some fine wrestlers around in 2006. Ramel Meekins was the toughest guy on the team at DT... made some HUGE plays for us.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
As I understand it, that only becomes true once the player appears in a game. Hamilton could come on a wrestling scholarship, redshirt in football for a year, and not count against either the 25 or 85 limit for that year.
Interesting. The one thing that potentially complicates that is that football is a head count sport (all schollies are full rides) and wrestling is an equivalency sport, meaning coach Goodale can split up his 9.9 schollies however he likes. So if he's getting a full ride more than likely it will be from the football team.

Always against football if that's one of the two sports he participates in. NCAA rule. Keep the SEC from stacking their golf and tennis teams with football players.

I think it was Miami that forced the NCAA to make this a rule. Santana Moss played as a walk on with a track scholarship in 1997 when they were on probation and was then given a football scholarship over another walk on wide receiver with track scholarship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT