ADVERTISEMENT

La Salle 1 Rutgers 0

knights1212

Heisman Winner
Sep 9, 2003
Today we got 1 hit by La Salle in losing 1-0 after winning yesterday 11-1. La Salle was 7-20 and rated at # 270 in the country. This just keeps happening losing to mid majors and teams with pathetic records. Harry Rutkowski our star freshman pitched great for 8.1 innings but lost when a batter singled off our relief pitcher who came in with a guy on second in the ninth. How we could only get one hit the entire game baffles me. Their starter had a 1-1 record with a 4.81 ERA coming into the game. He lasted 6.1 innings. The relief pitcher shut us down big time and he came in with a 0-4 record and a 7.16 ERA. He struck out 5 in 2.2 innings of relief. The amazing thing is that in the bottom of the 9th three of our better hitters all took a called strike three. The announcers on WRSU could not believe that none of the three would swing at balls on the outside corner. They said the ump was calling these strikes all game long. We cannot make excuses again about this being a mid week game. We have our best 3 pitchers going this weekend yet our batters never showed up today. We have now lost to 2-7 Iona, 2-10 Princeton and 7-20 La Salle all at home. I just think that too often our kids are not focused enough. Just a few weeks ago we were rated at # 57 in the country. I think today we were now at # 115 before this loss.

Reactions: RU MAN
I feel ya 1212. I saw had a guy at third with one out in the 8th. That would be a situation to squeeze unless we had the 3,4 or 5 guy up. Do you recall who was up in that situation?

Reactions: RU Mike73
- their RPI is Neighnor MSU let’s not freak out just take the series

- bats get cold after an explosive game sometimes, period, even in the majors

- relief pitchers gonna give up runs in such instances (at least he didn’t walk 3 straight guys to push their run across)

BUT

- there is ZERO excuse for 3-straight batters being called out LOOKING down a run in the 9th. NONE.

Yes, we had Nyisztor who pinch ran at 3rd with one out. Harris was up and he was batting second in the lineup. He took a called 3rd strike and than Matera lined out to center. Harris is not really having a good season considering he was selected the pre season player of the year in the BIG. Today he was 0-4 being called out twice on a strike 3 looking. He also flied to center and grounded out to second. He came into yesterday's game batting .267 and had only one home run in 60 at bats. Last year I think he had 7 home runs. If he wants to play pro ball he better start showing something. He has been suspended 3 times in 3 years so I would think that is not a positive. The team won 6 straight games in Florida without him.

Old school says you need to put the ball in play with a guy at third and less than 2 out. Ground ball fli ball ties it. You can't TAKE strike 3. That's how the game was taught years ago.

- their RPI is Neighnor MSU let’s not freak out just take the series

- bats get cold after an explosive game sometimes, period, even in the majors

- relief pitchers gonna give up runs in such instances (at least he didn’t walk 3 straight guys to push their run across)

BUT

- there is ZERO excuse for 3-straight batters being called out LOOKING down a run in the 9th. NONE.
What was the weather like during the game? Is the ninth inning debacle attributable to the home plate ump having a “Nose to Toes” cold weather strike zone all game long?

Today we got 1 hit by La Salle in losing 1-0 after winning yesterday 11-1. La Salle was 7-20 and rated at # 270 in the country. This just keeps happening losing to mid majors and teams with pathetic records. Harry Rutkowski our star freshman pitched great for 8.1 innings but lost when a batter singled off our relief pitcher who came in with a guy on second in the ninth. How we could only get one hit the entire game baffles me. Their starter had a 1-1 record with a 4.81 ERA coming into the game. He lasted 6.1 innings. The relief pitcher shut us down big time and he came in with a 0-4 record and a 7.16 ERA. He struck out 5 in 2.2 innings of relief. The amazing thing is that in the bottom of the 9th three of our better hitters all took a called strike three. The announcers on WRSU could not believe that none of the three would swing at balls on the outside corner. They said the ump was calling these strikes all game long. We cannot make excuses again about this being a mid week game. We have our best 3 pitchers going this weekend yet our batters never showed up today. We have now lost to 2-7 Iona, 2-10 Princeton and 7-20 La Salle all at home. I just think that too often our kids are not focused enough. Just a few weeks ago we were rated at # 57 in the country. I think today we were now at # 115 before this loss.
Sometimes mediocre pitchers just have their day. That’s why you play the game rather than just looking at previous stats and declaring a winner.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT