ADVERTISEMENT

Lathan Sommerville Interview

Both he and Pike mentioned his passing. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lathan lead all B1G centers in assists. Because his court vision to spot an open man and his passing ability really surprised, and jumped out, at me.

No wonder some scouts have referred to Lathan as a "versatile big guard".

I love this play. Block, dribble length of court, drive the lane and dish a no-look pass to a teammate for an layup.

Both he and Pike mentioned his passing. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lathan lead all B1G centers in assists. Because his court vision to spot an open man and his passing ability really surprised, and jumped out, at me.

No wonder some scouts have referred to Lathan as a "versatile big guard".

I love this play. Block, dribble length of court, drive the lane and dish a no-look pass to a teammate for an layup.

Wow blocks that result in a change of possession.
Can’t wait for the “Lathan won’t have an impact because freshman 5’s can’t play in college” to eat some crow.
Our 5 position has been upgraded! With him, O and Martini.
Can’t wait to enjoy watching high IQ basketball from the 5!

Wow blocks that result in a change of possession.
Can’t wait for the “Lathan won’t have an impact because freshman 5’s can’t play in college” to eat some crow.
Our 5 position has been upgraded! With him, O and Martini.
Can’t wait to enjoy watching high IQ basketball from the 5!
Would love to see Lathan make a positive impact. However, there are reasons fans worry about freshman centers. The two best centers I have seen at Rutgers were James Bailey and Roy Hinson. They were both solid players as freshmen, but they both were substantially better as juniors or seniors. I have seen other freshman centers make an impact, just not a positive one.

Would love to see Lathan make a positive impact. However, there are reasons fans worry about freshman centers. The two best centers I have seen at Rutgers were James Bailey and Roy Hinson. They were both solid players as freshmen, but they both were substantially better as juniors or seniors. I have seen other freshman centers make an impact, just not a positive one.
🐦‍⬛

Bailey was really good his freshman year especially blocking shots. Really not fair to compare Latham to him yet because I would argue that as a Junior Bailey was the best player in the country which was an exponential explosion. However , on the other hand , I can see Latham coming off the bench for the first 5-6 and then entering the starting lineup just like Bailey did. Latham is the most versatile multifaceted player we have ever had at the 5 position in our history. Do not be suprised if the talk will be about Dylan , Ace and Lathan and not just the first 2

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Bailey was really good his freshman year especially blocking shots. Really not fair to compare Latham to him yet because I would argue that as a Junior Bailey was the best player in the country which was an exponential explosion. However , on the other hand , I can see Latham coming off the bench for the first 5-6 and then entering the starting lineup just like Bailey did. Latham is the most versatile multifaceted player we have ever had at the 5 position in our history. Do not be suprised if the talk will be about Dylan , Ace and Lathan and not just the first 2
When Bailey was a junior he was projected to be the first pick in the draft. Hinson as an NBA player was traded for the first pick in the draft. They were awesome players both offensively and defensively. From watching Lathan play at the RAC last year, I think unless he pulls a Gavin, he will be a very good offensive player. It is his defensive abilities that I worry about. If he defend and rebounds like Agee, can we afford to have him out there? Hopefully, Pikiel will work wonders on his defensive game because he could be a key player for Rutgers.

Hinson averaged 9.7 ppg and 5.6 rpg, with 2.1 blocks per game as a freshman in 28 min per game - and he was raw offensively. But against a relatively weak schedule, all things considered. His performances did improve every year, and had his best season as a Senior, in every regard (FG%, ppg, rpg, and a ridiculous 4.7 blocks per game) - yet still was a better pro than collegian.

Bailey was RU's 5th leading scorer as a frosh, the 5th option, but a critical difference maker because of his defense and athleticism. I remember watching the RU team that year, and after the 1st game told my Dad that Tom Young should bve fired if Bailey was not the starter at center over Palko by the 5th game ... which is what Young did, elevating Bailey to start in that 5th, or maybe 6th, game. Even so, Bailey only averaged 8.5 ppg, but 7 rpg, and a great 3.0 blocks per game in under 24 mpg. Bailey's best season was his Junior year, where in my opinion he was the best player in the country, and WAS a 1st team All American. I believe he led RU in ppg, rpg, blocks per game AND steals per game ... Bailey gave a preview in the 2nd half of his Sophomore year, as his performance really took off then. His Senior season his stats were lesser - but he was triple teamed nearly the entire season.

I do not see Sommerville as so much better than Ogbole as Bailey was versus Palko. Even at that time Palko was not nearly athletic enough or skilled enough to be a starting center on even a mid-level conference team of quality. Ogbole may not have the skills (especially offensively), and I believe Sommerville will garner and earn more minutes per game than Ogbole. But Ogbole has the athleticism, the rebounding skills and maybe the overall defensive skills to start - and/or play important minutes even for a team on a major conference level team.

That said, if Sommerville can play well enough to average 22+ minutes per game, and be effective offensively, that would be terrific. What his stats might be? I have no idea ... 8 ppg? 10 ppg? 6-7 ppg?

While the defense warrants some conversation, if we are being very fair about what RU fans saw the last 2 seasons, here's the harsh reality.

A) RU suffered a lot when Cliff went off the floor.

B) RU suffered when Cliff had an early foul and had to play cautiously, to avoid picking up a 2nd early foul.....

In the games where Cliff was more valuable ON the floor vs sitting next to Pike in foul trouble, his defense was extremely average. So much so that Cliff played SMART, by not fouling and surrendering points at times, when if he didn't have fouls, he would have been a much better defender.

With Sommerville, I actually don't think his defense is much to worry about. If he overcompensates, trying to prove he is a force on defense, he's is MORE likely to get into foul trouble.

If Lathan is below average on defense and able to play 22 to 24 minutes a game, he will make up for the "lack of rim protection ", because he's a better dribble, passer, shooter and scorer than Cliff. He is not the lob dunk, alley oop dunk threat like Cliff, so I can see Lathan scoring and creating assists.

The worse case scenario Lathan is the same thing with Cliff......he's in foul trouble and the defense falls to Ogbole and Martini or another player.....in that case, I don't see Martini or Ogbole outscoring another opponents "5", but can see Sommerville, keeping that matchup close, if he plays a lot.

The best case scenario is Lathan plays a solid amount of minutes and we "trade baskets" ,with other bigs. In that scenario, I would feel very confident that the other 4 Knights will outscore any other opponents other 4 players.

Lathan is going to fit well, I am fairly confident that the more he plays early and gets used to how to play at this level, his performances will get better as the season moves forward. There's a lot to look forward to IMO with Sommerville (and Grant and Dortch IMO).

Reactions: socaldave
While the defense warrants some conversation, if we are being very fair about what RU fans saw the last 2 seasons, here's the harsh reality.

A) RU suffered a lot when Cliff went off the floor.

B) RU suffered when Cliff had an early foul and had to play cautiously, to avoid picking up a 2nd early foul.....

In the games where Cliff was more valuable ON the floor vs sitting next to Pike in foul trouble, his defense was extremely average. So much so that Cliff played SMART, by not fouling and surrendering points at times, when if he didn't have fouls, he would have been a much better defender.

With Sommerville, I actually don't think his defense is much to worry about. If he overcompensates, trying to prove he is a force on defense, he's is MORE likely to get into foul trouble.

If Lathan is below average on defense and able to play 22 to 24 minutes a game, he will make up for the "lack of rim protection ", because he's a better dribble, passer, shooter and scorer than Cliff. He is not the lob dunk, alley oop dunk threat like Cliff, so I can see Lathan scoring and creating assists.

The worse case scenario Lathan is the same thing with Cliff......he's in foul trouble and the defense falls to Ogbole and Martini or another player.....in that case, I don't see Martini or Ogbole outscoring another opponents "5", but can see Sommerville, keeping that matchup close, if he plays a lot.

The best case scenario is Lathan plays a solid amount of minutes and we "trade baskets" ,with other bigs. In that scenario, I would feel very confident that the other 4 Knights will outscore any other opponents other 4 players.

Lathan is going to fit well, I am fairly confident that the more he plays early and gets used to how to play at this level, his performances will get better as the season moves forward. There's a lot to look forward to IMO with Sommerville (and Grant and Dortch IMO).
I’m not saying you are wrong but what makes you believe his D will be fine when the scouting report says this is an area he needs work?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT